closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Caling on the collective wisdom of G&D - New kitchen Woes....

Caling on the collective wisdom of G&D - New kitchen Woes....

Hey folks
    In the seemingly never ending saga of the extension being built at home, we come to the kitchen.
    This as meandered around over the past 9 months or so with various changes to the design finally settling about 6 weeks ago and a 25% deposit was paid to order the goods.

Goods were meant to be arriving this week however last week I was discussing the plans with the builder who noticed that the plans were showing a ceiling height of 2400mm - Whereas our house only has a final ceiling height of 2200.

Low and behold - the floor to ceiling units arriving this week would be 200mm over sized.

Cue various calls to the kitchen company to say that the units were going to be too big, stop the order etc.

Anyway, after the designer (and the person that came out a couple of times to measure) has got back from holiday - She has suggested over the phone that "you were there when it was measured, why didn't you say something" - To which my response was "I am not a kitchen installer/designer/company- that's your job that you and your company are being paid for".

Long story short, her and her boss are coming out on Friday "to see what can be done" - One the options mentioned was to cut down the units (obviously not happy with that).

My current thinking is....

1. Its their responsibility to measure - I haven't seen or signed anything to say I am liable for final measuring.
    2. They should supply new units (and not cut down ones)
    3. If they don't accept 1 and 2 then I should be asking for my money back, we all move on and I go elsewhere to someone that can use a tape measure.

Anyone have a clue where I stand? Can I demand the money back? Do I have to accept it was "my fault" for not mentioning it? Do I have to accept cut down units?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
    Last edited by neilma; 18th September 2017 at 20:23.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did they quote using plans or was the shell up (and therefore the ceiling bight present) when they visited site?

I can't really see how it is anybody's fault but theirs.
    Last edited by Dave O'Sullivan; 18th September 2017 at 20:53.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Also, if you do walk away, have a look at diy-kitchens.com. They were virtually half the price of everyone else and fantastic quality.

I agree with Dave, entirely their responsibility and you should be supplied what you paid for, not cut down units. Threaten them for costs in the delay too, fitters time etc.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks Chaps

That's my thinking - I cant see how any of this is our fault.

The original design was taken off plans however when she came out (twice) the shell was there (albeit with no ceiling but the joists were there etc). I could understand if we were 20mm out for plasterboard or a bit of screed or flooring - But not 200mm

Interstingly I have found an email from back in June where she said she was going to come back and measure the ceiling height. I never reminded her to do so (why should I have done) and she never came back after that - My guess is she assumed 2400 ceiling height as I think is standard for most houses and never corrected it.

Personally (if I ran a kitchen company) before ordering anything, I would go through a checklist to ensure height/width etc had been checked and double checked before placing the order with the manufacturer.....

It's their sh!t to deal with at the end of the day, take nothing less, (that is quite a low ceiling I might add) 2300 is the standard acceptable low.

Master
    Yep, completely their issue, not yours or the builders. The celling heights are normally written on the plans and they know that. If the shell had gone up, or enough of it anyway, they should have measured exactly and checked it against their measurements.

When we had our kitchen done, there was a small difference in a couple of the walls and so on and when they came out for the final measure - before placing the order for the units - they adjusted things accordingly.

No way you should accept cut down units.

Craftsman
    Sorry for the thread revival, I was wondering how you got on with the height fiasco.
    Surely their solution of cutting units down would mean the doors would be too big also. Standard units should measure 2120 plus any trim on the top. So it should have been a very simple solution off an off the shelf housing with standard doors.

Anyway I hope its all a distant memory now for you.

Mark

They probably do short and long units to be honest, most kitchen places that I visited when I had my kitchen done ages ago did. And most places should be able to get doors made to a specific size/height unless they are simply selling from somebody elses catalogue.

Yup all sorted. Kitchen company were always going to be ordering shorter doors but were suggesting cutting the carcasses down. Anyway, we said no, not willing to accept that so we had to wait a few weeks for shorter cabinets to be ordered/delivered. Everything is in now and the missus is over the moon....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    good to hear. Glad its all sorted.

Got a bit of a project coming up next year, so I've been scouring all the old threads re home improvement :-)