closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Omega Railmaster non limited edition

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    No date is so liberating. I'm so glad that's not a deal breaker for me.
    I use it so much throughout the day, when I'm away from my PC. Mainly as I have a terrible memory....

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Not for me, at least not yet. Interesting movement for sure, but I wouldn't trade the previous incarnation for it.

That is IMHO one of the most beautiful Omegas ever made. Can never understand why they didn't sell more of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Not for me, at least not yet. Interesting movement for sure, but I wouldn't trade the previous incarnation for it.

Simple, clean designs are probably the most difficult to pull off as there's nowhere to hide, what we have above is a very fine example of its genre. The new model is trying way, way too hard.

This still isn't showing on the Omega website. Wonder if they're waiting to shift the LE version first?

Grand Master
    The previous comments , showing the older version, hit the nail on the head; the latest incarnation is trying too hard to look like something that it will never be.

Another Omega cock-up. If they’re not creating yet another limited edition to create a feeding frenzy they’re trying to rehash old designs and failing badly.

In the late 90’s/early noughties there was a genuine integrity in what they produced, they did very little wrong............how things change!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by nickyboyo View Post
    The 90's dynamic is so much better than this effort. I did try to post a picture earlier, but photobucket stuffed me.

Fantastic watch, classic design cues mixed with not even contemporary at the time, or even present day ideas.
    And yet, at the time, it was a very unpopular model. I remember when you could pick them up very cheaply. Like £300 for the time only model, and £600 for the chrono.

Foggy

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    And yet, at the time, it was a very unpopular model. I remember when you could pick them up very cheaply. Like £300 for the time only model, and £600 for the chrono.

Foggy
    +1......at the time they were current I didn`t like them much, but I`ve since changed my views and now own a very nice 3 hander. Great watch, but arguably ahead of it's time, this style became far more popular in later years.

The Railmaster from the mid-noughties wasn`t that popular either if I remember rightly, but they're sought after thesedays with the 36.2m being particularly hard to find. I`ve had chance to get one but I`m not prepared to pay the prices they now command.

Back in 2009 I was looking for either an Explorer 1 or a 36mm Railmaster. I found one of each locally on the same weekend and went to view both. The Railmaster, at approx. 1 yr old, was £1050 and the Explorer (2004 model with fresh Rolex service) was around £1800. I ended up with the Explorer for £1750 and let the Railmaster go. At the time I didn`t want to spend £2750 on watches but in hindsight I should've bought both. Sometimes you've just got to go for it, if the watches are priced keenly it's worth making the investment and buying them. You may have a long wait for the next opportunity.

Railmaster, Explorer 1, 90s Dynamic, all no-nonsense highly readable sports watches in a size and style I like. I own 2 of the 3 and they both get plenty of wrist time.

Late noughties was the halcyon days in many ways, watches were far more affordable (especially Omegas) and parts supply wasn`t an issue for Swatch brands. The pound was strong against the US dollar, some nice bargains could be had from US eBay if you didn`t mind taking a risk. I don't find any of the latest offerings any more appealing than the watches available in that period and the prices certainly don`t appeal! Fortunately I`ve stocked my own collection with watches I like bought at prices I was happy to pay; despite my disdain for Omega thesedays I own plenty of their products from the times when the brand had far more substance and integrity.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 8th November 2017 at 20:04.

Craftsman
    Must say I still have a hard time with the faux patina. Only watch I like the colour on is the diver 65 and from what I understand, it actually uses the same colour base as the original. I remember when the Seamaster 300 coaxial first came out, it hit instant grail status for. Then I saw it in person and just didn’t like it. Too thick and the colouring just looked too novelty. Unfortunately, for me, I think this one falls prey to the same fate. I’m sure some people will love it tho. There’s no such thing as bad taste, only differences in opinion.

Craftsman
    Agh, the aged lume cheapens it. What a shame.

Master
    I too think the Dynamic gen III was a cracker, both tritium and SL varieties are out there as they were made from 1997-1999 which was Omega's lume transition period. They are a bit of a marmite design though even now, many just don't like them, but as noted prices have been steadily rising for the past decade from a very low base so there is clearly a growing following. Mine is the later S-L flavour, owned and worn regularly since 2001:

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    Other than the 'improved' movement, dial wise not a patch compared to the previous model.

Not a fan of the 'flat' dial and dislike the faux aged lume.

The hands lack contrast and look 'plain'

amazing - it looks like a omega homage , not even a particularly good one at that

New Omega Railmaster non limited edition

Just saw a silver dialled one on strap at Doha airport. Display model not for sale apparently. Only got it in an hour ago and first one in the country. In the metal it’s STUNNING. Seriously beautiful. Looks rugged but also very cool. The steel finish almost looks like titanium. Check these out in the metal before you dismiss. At £3600 in the UK by all accounts with probable 20% discount after a few months making it around £3k Omega will have a winner on their hands I’ll bet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The steel finish almost looks like titanium.
    That's not a plus to me.

Craftsman
    In my opinion it's lovely but ultimately boring. If that makes sense...

Like I would appreciate it on somebody's wrist but I wouldn't own one.

I would have one of these over a explorer ... love the look and the slate style dial etc

Cheets

matt

Journeyman
    After many months of looking, this is in pole position as my next watch. Very nice indeed. Extremely happy the case features no polishing, man I hate polished cases!