closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Camera advice please

Master

Camera advice please

My wife would like to get into photography and would like decent camera for christmas.

i know we have a lot of excellent photographers here so can anyone advice what the best bang for buck would be that would allow her to get properly into it without totally breaking the bank.

would spend up to 500 all in
    Last edited by cyrusir; 18th September 2017 at 14:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    My wife would like to get into photography and would like decent camera for christmas.

i know we have a lot of excellent photographers here so can anyone advice what the best bang for buck would be that would allow her to get properly into it without totally breaking the bank.

would spend up to 500 all in
    Need a bit more information - does she want an SLR (separate lenses, high quality) or something more compact that she can carry with her much of the time? Does she like taking images of mainly indoor stuff or outdoor? Is this for mainly electronic dissemination or will she want to print stuff out, and if so, what sort of size?

Probably sounds like a minefield, but it's really easy to head off down the route of kit-buying then realise you've bought the wrong stuff for your purposes.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Need a bit more information - does she want an SLR (separate lenses, high quality) or something more compact that she can carry with her much of the time? Does she like taking images of mainly indoor stuff or outdoor? Is this for mainly electronic dissemination or will she want to print stuff out, and if so, what sort of size?

Probably sounds like a minefield, but it's really easy to head off down the route of kit-buying then realise you've bought the wrong stuff for your purposes.
    thanks for the response.

slr id say, we had a decent compact :)

be pics of our daughter to begin with id say and will probably want to print but not massive sizes

I've just bought a Canon G9X Mark II. It's great and I can recommend it as a 'starter' quality compact camera.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    thanks for the response.

slr id say, we had a decent compact :)

be pics of our daughter to begin with id say and will probably want to print but not massive sizes
    In that case the default choice of Nikon 3400 would always be worth a look - a decent enough integrated flash, lightweight, good battery life, stunning images, a good number of shooting modes, but also the ability to work with the camera in a totally manual mode for ultimate control. Can get one for £400ish, I understand (inc a perfectly good zoom).

I'd ensure you (a) spend some money on training (you learn a lot on even a one-day workshop) and (b) possibly photo processing software. I know that without Lightroom my output would look decidedly average. At best!

I'd go to a camera shop with used stock and explain your requirements. You/your wife will be able to handle the cameras and find out what suits. You'll also get much better value than buying new with a kit lens, (which are generally pretty poor) and for portraits you'd be better off with a 35/50mm prime.

Master
    Have a look at Olympus micro 4/3rds smaller but will get decent images and big choice of good lenses you could get a EM-10 mk2 and decent lens
    Last edited by craig1912; 18th September 2017 at 15:00.

I'd second craig's advice below of a Micro 4/3. Panasonic is the other big player, as well as Olympus. Can be run on full program mode for "point and shoot" but, full manual for the tyro, and anywhere in between. Smaller and lighter than a full DSLR, but comes with a great choice of available lenses as she gets into the hobby.

Just personal preference but I really dont like cameras without a viewfinder, so would also suggest you try out a few cameras to find out whether you're wife prefers a camera with a viewfinder
    or is happy with just a screen on the back.

Master
    Can recommend the Fuji X series. We bought XT-10 with a couple of lenses last year and have been very happy with the kit. The newer one is the XT-20 which is more expensive but you should be able to find the XT-10 and lens or two within budget.

If you do try some cameras be sure to have a good look through the menu structure for ease of use. When I first started out I looked at bodies from the main manufacturers and found that Canon worked best for me.
    F.T.F.A.

Camera advice please

Love my Nikon D7000, great camera and has been replaced by a newer model so not too expensive 2nd hand. I mainly use a 18-200 lens which covers most eventualities.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    In that case the default choice of Nikon 3400 would always be worth a look - a decent enough integrated flash, lightweight, good battery life, stunning images, a good number of shooting modes, but also the ability to work with the camera in a totally manual mode for ultimate control. Can get one for £400ish, I understand (inc a perfectly good zoom).

I'd ensure you (a) spend some money on training (you learn a lot on even a one-day workshop) and (b) possibly photo processing software. I know that without Lightroom my output would look decidedly average. At best!
    Got mine for under £300 from e global central U.K.

Best deal I could find by a mile

OP - the 3400 is the latest one and gets all the best reviews (did a fair amount of research on this of late)

Also has an app plus Bluetooth, so, can upload and share in an instant

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Can recommend the Fuji X series. We bought XT-10 with a couple of lenses last year and have been very happy with the kit. The newer one is the XT-20 which is more expensive but you should be able to find the XT-10 and lens or two within budget.
    Was about to come in and suggest exactly this. I've been shooting with the X-T10 exclusively for the last year and it's an absolute little beaut. Fuji glass is pretty much as good as it gets and if your wife doesn't fancy getting her hands dirty in Lightroom or Photoshop or similar post processing then the Fuji jpeg are absolutely stunning straight out of the camera. I've shot pretty much anything and everything with it and it hasn't missed a beat, although it doesn't have the quickest autofocus so if you're shooting sports stuff you might struggle.

An excellent condition X-T10 on the used market will set you back around £250 for the camera body or you will probably find one of the Fuji refurb store with the XF18-55mm lens for around £500.

If you're after some sample photo's pretty much everything here is shot with the Fuji... www.ashsmithphoto.co.uk

Craftsman
    When I was in the same situation a few years back I found Ken Rockwell's reviews to be very helpful (http://www.kenrockwell.com).

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    Was about to come in and suggest exactly this. I've been shooting with the X-T10 exclusively for the last year and it's an absolute little beaut. Fuji glass is pretty much as good as it gets and if your wife doesn't fancy getting her hands dirty in Lightroom or Photoshop or similar post processing then the Fuji jpeg are absolutely stunning straight out of the camera. I've shot pretty much anything and everything with it and it hasn't missed a beat, although it doesn't have the quickest autofocus so if you're shooting sports stuff you might struggle.

An excellent condition X-T10 on the used market will set you back around £250 for the camera body or you will probably find one of the Fuji refurb store with the XF18-55mm lens for around £500.

If you're after some sample photo's pretty much everything here is shot with the Fuji... www.ashsmithphoto.co.uk
    Agreed, X-T10 is v good value now, bought via Fuji refurb store if possible

I switched from Canon 7D to a X-T2 recently, its a fantastic bit of kit

Craftsman
    I'll second all those who've mentioned a nikon slr and a fast prime. The f1.8 lenses are dirt cheap and will give every new slr user that instant gratification when they shoot a picture at f1.8 for the first time. Fixed primes teach you about composition so you think more about what you want to include in your picture.

I work with Nikon as a brand ambassador so if you have any questions, drop me a line.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by tabascokid; 19th September 2017 at 14:20.

Master
    thanks all

some brilliant advice here

Another shout for the D3400, i've got the older D3100 and it's been great, small for a DSLR. The 18-55 kit lens that it comes with is actually pretty good and well reviewed, i use that if i'm outside, but the best lens by far is the 35mm f1.8 that is about £150, it lives on my camera and is fantastic for indoor stuff, pics of the kids etc.

D3400 is £354 in currys using code NIKON75, add the 35mm, a case and a spare battery and you'll be sorted for not too much over £500, can add additional lenses later if needed, a long zoom for wildlife/sports or a macro for nature/watch sales
    Last edited by Brighty; 19th September 2017 at 11:04.