closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Lisbon recommendations

Master

Lisbon recommendations

We are off to Lisbon in a month or so for five nights. Never been before so would appreciate some recommendations for hotels/restaurants/things to do.

We are a youngish couple at 27 and appreciate good food and not particularly fussed about clubbing etc.

I wouldn't mind a pool but not a deal breaker.

Thanks in advance!

Master
    Also interested in this thread.(Bit older at 54)

Off to Lisbon next March for 5 nights then train to Porto for 3.

I went a few months ago as a cruise port of call. Nice place. Cruises are useless for really getting into a place though. A Lisbon custard tart is a must...sorry, it's all I've got. I was offered a range of drugs by street sellers...I declined.

Craftsman
    I was there about fifteen years ago so my recommendations would not be relevant but it was a great city for a weekend break, good food and bars. Porto is also a good destination for a city break.

As mentioned by the previous poster I also had plenty of people offering to sell me drugs, I understand that the government decriminalised all drugs there in 2001.

Craftsman
    Check this place out for really good seafood - Cervejaria Ramiro.

We went there for dinner on a weekend and had to line up for about half hour though, so you should take that into consideration!

A short train ride to both Cascais and Sintra is worth it

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Stay up late and find a flamenco bar,preferably one with locals rather than a touristy one. Don't expect it to get busy till midnight-ish but it will be a great night!

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Also interested in this thread.(Bit older at 54)

... to Porto for 3.

Guided tours of a couple of Port producers is a must - Sandeman's is particularly well done, with a tasting at the end. A short boat trip on the Douro is also interesting.

We stayed at the Epic SANA hotel which has a lovely rooftop pool and bar in a good location .
    Take the ferry to Cachilas (sp) across the Tagus for a great fish restaurant.
    Ride the tram, go to the castle, eat th custard tarts.
    Near the ferry terminal, there’s a huge covered market place which has some really good informal restaurants. It’s definitely worth checking this out. Food of all types are covered here.
    I did like just walking (very hilly btw) and getting lost, finding great little bars and spending a bit of time just drinking and eating .

Master
    Also watching this as I'm there in early October for a few days

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Off to Lisbon next March for 5 nights then train to Porto for 3.
    I'd reverse that if I were you and allow more time in Porto.

Red face

Agreed! You can't visit Lisbon without seeing these places.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    A short train ride to both Cascais and Sintra is worth it

Master
    Sea Life Centre a short train ride from the centre.
    Trains and public transport are excellent no need for airport transfer
    Restaurante Sacramento lively restaurant best to book though
    Get a travel pass.
    Tram 28 is a good ride

Master
    Agreed about the sea life centre (oceanarium) and would add the zoo is also good fun (jardim zoologico). My wife is Portuguese and we spend a lot of time in Lisbon, here is a list of great restaurants that she compiled for some friends:

Adega da Gravatas (excellent for meat and other traditional dishes and very well priced). Access only by taxi as not in the city centre.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau..._Portugal.html

Cervejaria Ramiro (excellent fish and shellfish. It gets very busy and they don’t accept bookings. Make sure you arrive before 7pm to get a table)

Mercado da Ribeira, Cais do Sodré (traditional food court – canteen-style communal tables)

https://www.lisbonlux.com/lisbon-sho...a-ribeira.html

Chapito a Mesa (close to the Castle, worth going for the view and environment)

Belem area is a must for the pastries and the big churchy building

we went to see adele in concert last year so only stayed one night - we stayed at the Pestana Palace hotel:

but there are plenty of hotels in lisbon, Novotel and the like and I can recommend this hotel and any other in the chain: http://www.realpalacio.realhotelsgroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'd reverse that if I were you and allow more time in Porto.
    I would agree with that but maybe add days to porto as there is a lot to see around the towns near Lisbon
    Last edited by Xantiagib; 18th September 2017 at 12:02.

Already said but get the train to Sintra and spend a day there. Go see the Moorish Castle and the Pena National Castle - both worth the short trip

Craftsman
    I was there for 6 nights back in April, loved it. Can't recommend any hotels as we stayed in an apartment in Estrela which along with nearby Ourique at the western end of the 28 tram route are well worth a wander round, less hilly neighbourhood vibe with plenty of independent shops restaurants and bars. Speaking of which we ate out twice each to:

Mercado de Campo de Ourique - artisan food market with stalls to eat at in the middle at night - similar idea to the huge Time Out 'market' in the town centre but a lot less loud and frenetic
    and:
    Restaurante Cervejaria Europa Rua Francisco Metrass 57, Phone: +351 21 396 8902 - no fancy décor but fabulous grilled fish and meat with great service

Also enjoyed:

Fado at Tasca Da Chico R. do Diário de Notícias 39, tiny place v.atmospheric – try the giant flaming sausages!

Elevador Santa Justa - has to be done, get there early to avoid the queues

Guilbenkian Institute and art gallery - stunning collection and really interesting temporary exhibitions

There's a shop I can't remember the name of near the Time Out market and ferry terminal selling only tinned sardines and other seafood from all over Portugal - great graphics on the packaging and good for funky and relatively inexpensive souvenirs

Get the train to Sintra, quicker than the bus and you see more. Once there don't bother with the bus to the castles, take a taxi which costs the same and ask the driver to take you to the tiny ticket booth in the town to avoid the queues for both the bus and advance tickets. Walk back down through the parkland

http://www.bgci.org/garden.php?id=149 Once you've bought your custard tarts in Pastis de Belem go to the tropical gardens just behind to scoff them - beware the free range chickens though!

Grab a drink and a decent bite to eat any time of day at a kiosk - usually one in any place with a decent view which is v.handy in a city as hilly as Lisbon. Have a look at the article on Lisbon Lux.com 30 best kiosk cafes in Lisbon

The streets between St Georges Castle and the cathedral are well worth a wander.

I'm reliably informed that the club scene is pretty good too although being an old geezer I didn't partake

Cheers

Ian

Master
    Thank you all for the info so far!

We have booked the Internacional Design Hotel as it has a good location and seems like something a little different.

Some 'photos and recommendations from my short stay a coupe of years ago.

Kiosk cafe near the Castelo de Sao Jorge right next to one of the tram stops, these little kiosks are great for a quick coffee, pastry or beer. Great view from this kiosk as well looking out over the terracotta roof tops.

View from the Castelo de Sao Jorge. There's a lovely restaurant there, great classical cooking and possibly one of the best steaks I've ever had. Catch a tram up to the top from the city centre, in fact just catch a tram to anywhere! Can't remember the tram number we took up there, might have been either 24 or 28 however a good guide/google will provide the answer. You can see the grey structured Santa Justa elavator approx 1/3 from the right and 1/3 down in this shot.

The Elevador de Santa Justa is worth a visit, here's a 'photo of the lift itself and the view looking across towards the castle.

Right by the lift is a place called Casa Chineza. Despite its location it's more for the locals than for typical tourists and they do a great espresso and custard tart. Plenty of other pastries as well, eat/drink standing by the glass food counter just like the city dwellers do! Very cheap as well.

For the quirkiest cocktail bar you could ever go to visit the Pavilhao Chines!

Some wonderful old architecture.

Really enjoyed the 2 night stay, I'd have no issue in going back.
    Last edited by CardShark; 19th September 2017 at 15:30.

Craftsman
    I really enjoyed a trip up the Douro last time I was in Porto

Master
    Check out 'Rick Stein's Long Weekends' on Iplayer. I watched it on Sat and it's made me want to go to Lisbon - the food looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by ism123 View Post
    Check out 'Rick Stein's Long Weekends' on Iplayer. I watched it on Sat and it's made me want to go to Lisbon - the food looks amazing.
    Anthony Bourdain did an episode on Lisbon too - dark and not upbeat at all and very fado/alcohol infused but still worth a watch

Remember the great Earthquake in 1755 In combination with subsequent fires and a tsunami, almost totally destroyed Lisbon and adjoining areas.