closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone still got their first watch?

Journeyman

Anyone still got their first watch?

Just thought it might be interesting to see if people still have the first watch they remember buying after I found this and put a new battery in:

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't even remember my first watch. I know I didn't have one as a child, but I bet I did while I was in the constabulary in the 1960s. Even in Cornwall I can't imagine that "about six o'clock madam" would have cut the mustard.

Blog Entries
    Yup, still got my first watches.

First one bought for me (first one overall) is a Sekonda boys'-size watch with a silver dial.

First one I bought was a Casio CA-901.

Got my first watch?

I haven't even got my last watch.
    Last edited by itsgotournameonit; 14th September 2017 at 22:06.

Journeyman
    first one bought for me was a fossil my brother bought me for my 21st but i've not seen it since i moved house and obviously this week i bought my first proper watch and for that reason i'll never sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got every watch I've ever had bar two I think. Frustratingly, the very first one, which was a gift for being a page boy at my Dads wedding age 6 or so (Timex IIRC) and a Casio I lost on a school trip.

Tell a lie... also lost a Casio with the reverse display drunk on a beach. It was about 3am, decided to go into the sea, took the watch off and put it on my jumper. Got out of the sea, picked up my jumper... bollocks. Managed to track another down, and would love to find the other two, but not sure I'd even recognise them now.

Master
    I got my first watch around 16/17 years of age and I cannot even remember what it looked like. I think it was a Bulova or some such similar name.

Craftsman
    How funny. Only today I was clearing a lock up filled with my old possesions and came across one of, if not the first watch I bought myself with my own cash.

Loved it at the time. I recall the tyre tred strap was a desirable extra.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    How funny. Only today I was clearing a lock up filled with my old possesions and came across one of, if not the first watch I bought myself with my own cash.

Now that looks like a watch for adventures!

My Keinzle manual is in a box in an attic and it must be at least 20 years since I last saw it.

Craftsman

Amazingly I can still just about get the strap around my wrist.

Craftsman
    Yup -- found it recently.
    1959 Christmas present from parents.

It is currently away for renovation.

I have my Omega Seamaster from 1959. I was 10 years old when I got that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by itsgotournameonit View Post
    Got my first watch?

I haven't even got my last watch.
    Like so many of us...

My first watch was a "Services" bought for me by my Dad when he returned from a TA camp one year when I was around 10.
    I probably lost/swapped or broke it shortly after much to my regret.
    I can't find any pictures of the model or Services watches in general but it was a little like the one on the right in this web image...

Master
    Not me, I had the usual, early '70s boys Timex as my first watch but it didn't last long. It was replaced by another Timex, this time a diver-style watch (that leaked and used to stop when I walked home in the rain), when that fell to bits my dad gave me his hand-wound Oris. The Oris only lasted a few months before it was kaput, too - I must have been pretty hard on my watches back then...

Still got my first half decent watch, Breitling aerospace. Got a swatch but not sure that counts.

Fish

Anyone still got their first watch?

Still got mine from when I was six. Now it's about 49yrs old!

Last edited by DACC; 15th September 2017 at 17:44.

Master
    Not too sure when I got this but I think it was 1978'ish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Yup -- found it recently.
    1959 Christmas present from parents.

It is currently away for renovation.

Please show when you get it back. I like it: pattern on dial, hands, hour markers....

Lovely thing to still have, like others on this thread.

Mine was a little bog standard Timex with a red second hand. Lost in time, but I bought a replacement from EBay, it's not the same but would be happy with it if I could get it working. Who on earth works on cheap Timex watches?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Who on earth works on cheap Timex watches?

k
    .olli. of this parish.

See my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post

The first one I bought for myself no (sold it in this forum a couple of years ago in mint condition for its age), but my first watch yes, still running great after about 36 years:

Bought for me by my Dad on a trip to Japan in about 1980. I've considered getting it fixed but doubt I would ever wear it again.

Master
    Nope !
    Can't even remember what it was...
    I have a vague recollection of One of my Grandparents passing down a wind-up Watch, but can't even remember which Grandparent let alone what the Watch was. It wouldn't have been anything expensive though.
    My Dad's Dad was a Timex stockist back in the 1980s and I remember coveting a Watch that had both an Analogue and a Digital display.
    It was the bees knees, the cool kid at school had One. I never managed to save the £20 up to buy One though.
    My Dad passed me down a couple of Swatches and a Porsche Logo'd metal expanding bracelet with a (CZ ?) insert at 12 o'clock.
    I'm guessing it wasn't either Porsche Design or officially licensed !
    My first 'expensive' watch was a late '90's Seiko Kinetic that I bought in a H Samuel Sale (RRP £129 down to £99).
    I wore it to death, scratched it, wore the strap out and sold it on E-Bay when I moved on.
    Recently bought an as-new and Boxed example which I don't wear (nostalgia eh ?).
    I do remember my Knight Rider watch though (which I started a thread on here about recently).

Master
    Mentioned it before, yes. Still have my christening present (as a baby) from my grandmother which is a hand wind mechanical kids watch. I dug it out a few months ago and it still works. Funny seeing the extra holes in the strap I had to have for it to fit.

How long have I had it? Well, I'm rapidly approaching 41.

Not a bad age to ownership ratio.

Craftsman
    Yes, It's a Bravingtons Renown, bought by my Dad for me when I was 11 and started "big" school. It's currently away being bought back to life, if this thread is about when it comes back I'll put up a picture! Cheers, John B
    p.s. I think it would be 54 years old!

Not as interesting as some on this thread - but I still remember emptying my piggy bank to buy this from Argos for £24.99! A lot of money back then for a kid

2016-09-25 11.56.21 by ataripower, on Flickr

Not my first quartz watch, but I still have my first mechanical watch .. an Archimede Pilot 42mm

My first watch was a Kahuna of some description - no idea where it is now, but the Fossil watch my brother bought me for my 18th is still in a box somewhere.

My first 'luxury' watch that I bought myself is still here and has little value so will keep it forever.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post

I also have one of these Animal watches - bought in Newquay new I think and brings back happy memories of various surf trips.

I have the movement replaced and still wear it

Cheers for Posting!

Master
    First watch was a Timex for my schooldays, from the Argos catalogue.
    Dunno where it is right now, probably scratched, unwound and unloved.

Craftsman
    Unfortunately no. The first watch I remember to own was a Casio F91W with green light. The green light ones were new by then and I was so happy when my dad bought one for me by himself. I even remember the first scratches it had but unfortunately I don't remember what I had done with it after that.

Yes I do, it is a Swiss made "17 Rubis" watch made by a company called Piki that I have never been able to find anything about. I need to replace the glass as it is cracked, but other than that it is running well 50 years later.

My first watch was a Hägar the Horrible watch I got for my 10th birthday. It's long since gone.
    I got the Citizen Wingman with gold bezel when I was about 14 and wore it every day at school and it shows it.

I tracked the Citizen Wingman with black bezel down a few years ago after loosing an identical watch when I was about 20 whilst on a night out in Reading. The original was my 18th birthday present from my folks.
    Both never get worn but both will never be sold

Cheers

John

Craftsman
    My first watch was some pulsar the old man got me for my 16th birthday. I accidentally left it at my gf at the time's house. We broke up and she smashed it with a hammer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I found this in the street when I was 6-7 years old, it was in the road without a bracelet and looked pretty sorry for itself. I took it to the police station with my dad but it was never claimed and so after a few weeks I was able to collect it and keep it.
    I never wore it until I rediscovered it again a couple of years ago; I put a cheap strap on it (which I will get around to replacing one day) and am really pleased with it. Not a daily wearer, but it gives much pleasure when I do!

Journeyman
    Yes! Festina Tour de France 2011.
    It was a gift when i received master degree.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seal-Dweller View Post

I found this in the street when I was 6-7 years old, it was in the road without a bracelet and looked pretty sorry for itself. I took it to the police station with my dad but it was never claimed and so after a few weeks I was able to collect it and keep it.
    I never wore it until I rediscovered it again a couple of years ago; I put a cheap strap on it (which I will get around to replacing one day) and am really pleased with it. Not a daily wearer, but it gives much pleasure when I do!

It looks very nice. So much history behind it. Does it keep good time?

Quote Originally Posted by kosumi View Post
    It looks very nice. So much history behind it. Does it keep good time?
    Yes it does keep good time. I was really surprised after what it had been through and I'm sure it'd never been serviced ; I gave it a quick wind and away it went

Unfortunately not. :-(
    It was a Casio World Time W-520U

(c)

Craftsman
    As posted earlier I still have my 1st watch and remember my Father taking me to Bravingtons all those years ago (50+) to choose it. So, just back from a service and polish (thanks Duncan) here it is...
    Cheers, JohnB4

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    My first watch was a Cartier a present from My in laws and was stolen in a burglary unfortunately 😔

My first proper watch was this Seiko Quartz. Bought for my 18th Birthday many years ago. Still working and keeping perfect time.