closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Honda DCT gearbox

Banned
    Blog Entries

Honda DCT gearbox

On the off chance, has anyone ridden a bike with one of these and care to share their experience? How does it compare with a traditional manual? Thanks.

Master
    I rode a Nc700 appx 2015. It had two settings normal and sport. Owner told me to use sport all the time as normal short shifted everywhere AND when you shut off for a corner, it didnt offer any engine braking and changed up.

I wasnt to impressed as it still felt sluggish compared to my 800cc BM.

The owner part exd the bike against an Africa Twin DCT and said the improvement on DCT was significant. Trouble is he doesnt like the 21" wheel at speed...........some people.

I guess best option is take a test ride on mixed roads.

Steve

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Funny you mention the AT DCT, as this cracking deal was drawn to my attention today.
    http://www.johnbanks.co.uk/honda-bik...ferdetail.aspx

Master
    One of the lads on the UKGSER forum bought one earlier this week, he was the eighth person that day to buy one for £9k. My local dealer Craigs Honda had one or two in a launch, all sold. Then the earthquake hit so supply dried up. Went into Craigs last Saturday, there was a row of them eg 8 to 10 min.

Looks like production has been stepped up or demand has not been realised

Ps the 750cc Adventure Scooter thing was also in the same bike shop at 9.5k no contest!
    Last edited by higham5; 14th September 2017 at 19:04.

I had a test ride on a 2017 NC750X with the auto box.

WRT comparison I hadn't expected to like it at all, but it turned out to be far better than I'd anticipated. Once you get over the urge to reach for the clutch (and having to use a hand brake for parking it on a slope!) it was quite fun to ride. There was a Drive, Sport (several ones in fact) and Manual settings to play with and after a while I found I was using a combo of Sport and Manual, but I expect most riders would happily settle for Drive or Sport. It felt just a tad sluggish on takeoff (there's no 'creep' as you'd get with an auto box in a car) but after that it ran up and down the six gears almost unnoticeably and seemed to be in the 'right' gear almost all of the time.

I've not ridden the manual version of the same bike to compare the difference, but it was far better than an earlier DCT I'd tried and I'd certainly recommend trying one out.

HTH.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

DCT on the Africa Twin is fantastic.
    Always ahead of the curve on tarmac.
    Sometimes holds on to gears a nano second longer than necessary, but no probs.
    Off road though, you will occasionally find yourself in the wrong gear.
    If you're serious about off roading, you'll be better off with the standard box.

Bought and sold a NC750 Dct earlier on this year,hugely disappointing thing to ride,absolutely gutless and not at all responsive..if you want auto buy a scooter,I've just sold a Vespa GTS300 super which I honestly believe would've handed the Honda a whooping in most situations.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback. On balance, I guess there is a reason why £12,000 RRP bikes are going for less than £9,000 new. My attention has moved to the new 114 Fat Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. On balance, I guess there is a reason why £12,000 RRP bikes are going for less than £9,000 new. My attention has moved to the new 114 Fat Bob!
    I've got my 114 Fat Bob test ride booked for early October :-)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    One of the lads on the UKGSER forum bought one earlier this week, he was the eighth person that day to buy one for £9k.
    Looking at it, £2500 to ride it for 3 years and hand it back is a phenomenal deal...

Master
    I agree only two problems for me , my left leg and my right leg! Seat heights of 840 to 850 mm make it hard work for shortarses like me to "foot them" at the lights. But what a great bike. Im amazed the Honda xADV is priced at £9.5k its a super scooter, the Africa Twin is a bike you could do a major European or RTW ride on.
    Last edited by higham5; 15th September 2017 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Looking at it, £2500 to ride it for 3 years and hand it back is a phenomenal deal...
    There is only one dealer offering that deal, and for the 3 year cost, it would offset additional miles/depreciation on my other vehicles - I'm buying one ;) may even keep it after the 3 years

By the way the Honda DCT is a phenomenal gearbox, felt great on all models I've tried, VFR, Africa Twin and even a NC750X even if that model could have used a little more power, but it does have amazing mpg and makes a great commuter
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    ... and even a NC750X even if that model could have used a little more power, but it does have amazing mpg and makes a great commuter
    I think it could do benefit more with less weight and more power, IIRC it's about 10Kg lighter than the Africa Twin but only gives 40Kw as opposed to the 70Kw of the AT. :-(

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Absolutely Ralphy- but it is what it is for now. A friend bought one and toured Europe two up on one for around 9 months in 2015 - he doesn't have a left leg, so the DCT was essential. He is currently (well since he flew home) having a problem importing it back to Oz as it's not an official model there. He also owns a well sorted VFR1200 DCT with Ohlins, and an auto Super Scoot.

I'm hoping the Africa Twin could be a bit of fun, but maybe not needed in the same garage as my BMW GS and S. But then most of us have more than one watch :)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    There is only one dealer offering that deal, and for the 3 year cost, it would offset additional miles/depreciation on my other vehicles - I'm buying one ;) may even keep it after the 3 years

By the way the Honda DCT is a phenomenal gearbox, felt great on all models I've tried, VFR, Africa Twin and even a NC750X even if that model could have used a little more power, but it does have amazing mpg and makes a great commuter
    Good for you, Scott. 👍I have to say I am still tempted, should the dealer in question have any left tomorrow, but part of me is thinking I would only be having it because of the cheap deal. Would something else stir the heart a bit more?

Good for you, Scott. I have to say I am still tempted, should the dealer in question have any left tomorrow, but part of me is thinking I would only be having it because of the cheap deal. Would something else stir the heart a bit more?
    I think it would be a great bike to ride, and more than capable of some fire roads/tracks - nothing too inaccessible though. I find the GS a little bit of a handful on loose rocky tracks around the island, but then I run it on the stickiest road rubber I can get in adventure sizes, so maybe not the best grip off the tarmac. I think I'd run more trail orientated tyres on the AT. With Panniers, heated grips and a centre stand it should be good to go. I'd still be using the GS for my annual European tours though.

Other options, I'm not so sure what else I'd choose.

I'll probably buy another (older) sports bike at some stage, but only for playing when I'm back in the Isle of Man. I fancy the 2015/2016 Fireblade SP model as a long term keeper.

I do like the look of the current more upright bikes such as the Ducati and BMW Scramblers / R9T etc. But I think I'd prefer the GS or AT for day to day riding, they are just so comfortable.

I'll speak to them tomorrow and see if I can get the deal. My brother wanted one too, but it might make sense to share it (and the cost) as we both live off the island for part of the year.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 17th September 2017 at 20:12.

Absolutely Ralphy- but it is what it is for now. A friend bought one and toured Europe two up on one for around 9 months in 2015 - he doesn't have a left leg, so the DCT was essential. He is currently (well since he flew home) having a problem importing it back to Oz as it's not an official model there. He also owns a well sorted VFR1200 DCT with Ohlins, and an auto Super Scoot.

I'm hoping the Africa Twin could be a bit of fun, but maybe not needed in the same garage as my BMW GS and S. But then most of us have more than one watch :)
    The AT is more than a bit of fun, IMO.

Non-DCT which I had for a weekend:

Great presence on the road and even on the road tires it was good on gravel/green lanes, but she's tall and you do need long legs...

However, some of the servicing costs are really eye-watering, for example it takes a partial strip-down of the front end to get to the plugs and then there's the cost of them: £40 each - and there's 4 of them ...

R

Question

If I don't have a bike licence at the mo (only car), can I buy a 750cc Honda DCT and learn on it (including taking the bike tests)?

I don't get on with gears on bikes AT ALL so had a lousy one day CBT experience a few years back. :(

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    The AT is more than a bit of fun, IMO.

Non-DCT which I had for a weekend:

Great presence on the road and even on the road tires it was good on gravel/green lanes, but she's tall and you do need long legs...

However, some of the servicing costs are really eye-watering, for example it takes a partial strip-down of the front end to get to the plugs and then there's the cost of them: £40 each - and there's 4 of them ...

R
    Hi R, from memory we are about the same height. Does the AT fit, or is it a stretch? My old GS1200 was a top heavy lump, which ultimately put me off.

Journeyman
    Any thoughts on a quick shifter gearbox. Spotted a rather a nice MT10 with optional quick shifter gearbox.
    The Dakar red Africa Twin looks lovely.

Hi R, from memory we are about the same height. Does the AT fit, or is it a stretch? My old GS1200 was a top heavy lump, which ultimately put me off.
    A stretch. But compounded by a wrecked left knee (moto-x) finally made me give up on my GS1150 for lower, lighter bikes.

Amusingly, I jumped on a friends GS 1200 Adventure a few weeks ago and it felt like I was perched on top of an elephant!

R

Quote Originally Posted by TerryT View Post
    Any thoughts on a quick shifter gearbox. Spotted a rather a nice MT10 with optional quick shifter gearbox.
    The Dakar red Africa Twin looks lovely.
    Friend has one - he was over here for GP week on it. Very nice - but then most quickshifters work well these days, and the MT10 is a quick bike.

I have gone for Matte Black Africa Twin - if I pass the finance screening ;)

Order confirmed. I'm looking forward to picking it up and running it in after I get back from our annual motorbike tour - Aragon Moto GP this weekend on the GS :)

Journeyman

DCT

Just swapped my Crosstourer for the DCT Crosstourer. Right hand, drive, sport and manual. Drive shifts very early and has little engine braking.
    Left hand, up and down paddles. My only riding has been the 150 or so miles back home.
    Sport mode or manual seems best when riding with any sort of enthusiasm.
    I like the DCT gearbox and with a mix of drive and sport it works very well.

I tried for the new AT. My plan was to keep the AT for 3 years, if not to my liking I would hand it back at 3 years.
    If it was to my liking, sell the CT and keep the AT.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not where I started, but bought this baby today.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Not where I started, but bought this baby today.

Very nice. Is it a custom or one of the new models? I have what believe to be the worlds only entirely unmodified original nine t, and I love it. Just sold my s1000rs because I never rode it, always took the nine t.

Nice!
    Sure to be a bit of fun- been eyeing up the urban Gs version of that one
    Enjoy

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Very nice. Is it a custom or one of the new models? I have what believe to be the worlds only entirely unmodified original nine t, and I love it. Just sold my s1000rs because I never rode it, always took the nine t.

Thanks. It is a custom undertaken by the dealer, at some additional cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Nice!
    Sure to be a bit of fun- been eyeing up the urban Gs version of that one
    Enjoy
    Ta 👍

Master
    Thanks. It is a custom undertaken by the dealer, at some additional cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Ta 
    any more pics?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    any more pics?
    A few.

Master
    Nice paint.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nice paint.
    It is what struck me.

Master
    R9t gorgeous, I visited Alan Jeffries's BMW in Shiply the other day. Its a huge showroom and Im sure R9T outnumbered any other moder GS RT etc. Such is the success of this model, and rightly so.

Journeyman
    Nice paint.
    Nice pics too

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And the yellow headlight, which I just love.

Loving that BM Simon! Maybe I should get one for the garage? I'll make do with adding the Africa Twin, at the weekend, for now, but there is something very nice (well a few) about your bike ;)

Master
    The little fly screen looks good, and engine looks good black, too - all in all a very pretty bike!

Hope you enjoy riding it as much as I do mine

And the yellow headlight, which I just love.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Loving that BM Simon! Maybe I should get one for the garage? I'll make do with adding the Africa Twin, at the weekend, for now, but there is something very nice (well a few) about your bike ;)
    Thanks. And yes, you should! Enjoy the AT.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The little fly screen looks good, and engine looks good black, too - all in all a very pretty bike!

Hope you enjoy riding it as much as I do mine
    You might enjoy this link then, wallet permitting!
    http://www.rizoma.com/home/en