closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf GTE anyone got one as a company car

Master

Golf GTE anyone got one as a company car

Hi guys my company car comes up for renewal in the nit too distant future I have a Gold GTD which is great but I hate diesels and want to save paying as much tax each month so has anyone got the GTE and if so what do you think?

My concern is that the electric range is pitiful and I know it is 125 kilos heavier than the normal Golf and that is a lot of extra weight so because it has a smaller fuel tank are you constantly having to fill it up,as that would drive me mad, I do about 25,000 miles a year I just feel that a hybrid is the way to go but would it bug me plugging it in every night!

Golf GTE anyone got one as a company car

No experience of the car or plugin hybrids but as to if it bug you, only you can decide surely. It all depends if you have a driveway which could be kitted out? After the connection is there then it's only an extra minute or 2 after parking.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    No experience of the car or plugin hybrids but as to if it bug you, only you can decide surely. It all depends if you have a driveway which could be kitted out? After the connection is there then it's only an extra minute or 2 after parking.
    I know I can only decide but I was asking if anyone had this car and what they thought of it!

I am not asking about driveways or an outside charging point I am asking about this model that's all :)
    Last edited by andy armitage; 17th September 2017 at 14:52.

Craftsman
    Nothing to add unfortunately other than they benefit from a great tax rate for BIK - i'm looking at a Passat GTE as my next company vehicle and wondered how one goes about claiming back the cost of charging - after all, most of the charging will be to the companies benefit, not mine.
    Last edited by rusty; 17th September 2017 at 15:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    Nothing to add unfortunately, only that i'm looking at a Passat GTE as my next company vehicle and wondered how one goes about claiming back the cost of charging - after all, most of the charging will be to the companies benefit, not mine.
    I was wondering about that as well as I have just read it costs about £3.30 per night to charge the Golf so working that out it is a lot of money per year if you have to pay for it yourself!

I've got one and Tooks also has one.

I really don't like mine to be honest but just feel it's not the car for me. I think doing 25k per year it may not be ideal for you either as it's definitely suited to short(er) journeys.

I don't plug mine in anymore I just have a fully funded fuel card instead. Best I've ever got is a combined 55mpg and it's nowhere near as good on economy as I expected. I honestly thought it would be cheap to run. But the bik saving and cheap price of a fully funded card made it a very good option. I was blown away on test drive but really knew I didn't like it within a month. However I do feel mine is a bit of a lemon with some of the issues/gremlins I've had. Had mine 22 months now and just coming up to 26k miles.

I will say the 7.5 looks a nicer/fresher and has some good standard kit. I feel it is technology that will improve as well It is a decent car but after years driving sportier cars it's just not been ideal for me. Personally I've been counting down swap time since he first few months. If it was my own I would have got rid within 6 months.

I will say my view is in a minority on the GTE section of speakev (https://speakev.com/forums/vw-golf-GTE/).
    Last edited by senwar; 17th September 2017 at 15:29. Reason: minority not monitory

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I was wondering about that as well as I have just read it costs about £3.30 per night to charge the Golf so working that out it is a lot of money per year if you have to pay for it yourself!
    When I first got the car it was costing me 90p a charge. However that was on a very very cheap tariff. I'd say about £1.50-2 now.

I would base calcs on getting 20-22 per charge (not the quoted 31) at best over the year out of electric. Various things change this but that would be a fair average

Wouldn't you just claim back mileage as normal and then any tax rebate owing?

I also had a charger installed at home for quicker charging. It has future proofed me but definitely not worth it in my case given I don't charge it and haven't done for over a year.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Wouldn't you just claim back mileage as normal and then any tax rebate owing?
    I suppose that would be the easiest way - currently i have a fuel card and pay back my company for private miles. If i am able to decline the fuel card and just get the company to pay me for all business miles it would solve any problems around metering the electricity, assuming a decent rate/mile.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post
    I suppose that would be the easiest way - currently i have a fuel card and pay back my company for private miles. If i am able to decline the fuel card and just get the company to pay me for all business miles it would solve any problems around metering the electricity, assuming a decent rate/mile.
    My company don't do that. Either reimbursable card as you seem to have or a fully funded when you have a company vehicle.

Made it quite difficult to gain a real benefit of charging to be honest. However they have now brought in a £25pm payment towards electricity so I'll start charging it again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    I've got one and Tooks also has one.

I really don't like mine to be honest but just feel it's not the car for me. I think doing 25k per year it may not be ideal for you either as it's definitely suited to short(er) journeys.

I don't plug mine in anymore I just have a fully funded fuel card instead. Best I've ever got is a combined 55mpg and it's nowhere near as good on economy as I expected. I honestly thought it would be cheap to run. But the bik saving and cheap price of a fully funded card made it a very good option. I was blown away on test drive but really knew I didn't like it within a month. However I do feel mine is a bit of a lemon with some of the issues/gremlins I've had. Had mine 22 months now and just coming up to 26k miles.

I will say the 7.5 looks a nicer/fresher and has some good standard kit. I feel it is technology that will improve as well It is a decent car but after years driving sportier cars it's just not been ideal for me. Personally I've been counting down swap time since he first few months. If it was my own I would have got rid within 6 months.

I will say my view is in a monitory on the GTE section of speakev (https://speakev.com/forums/vw-golf-GTE/).
    Thanks for that :) it is what I was thinking really as I know charging it will become tedious and I won't bother so maybe a non plug in hybrid might make more sense although I still think this technology has a long way to go yet and why are the hybrids so ugly :)

Don't have one but the data tells the story. Only about 35 mile range on electric only. Real world 55mpg.

Also suggest reading the Autocar review.
    I note they recommend starting the day with a full charge. They also say why.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Don't have one but the data tells the story. Only about 35 mile range on electric only. Real world 55mpg.
    That range isn't correct. It's up to 31 and real world is average 20-22 over a year. Can get about 26 in summer. Mpg is about right tho although i get less.

Master
    As senwar mentioned, I have a Golf GTE although it's privately owned. It's 28 months old now, and I've covered 36000 miles.

I'd agree with the electric only ranges senwar mentioned, around 18-20 in the winter with the heater and electric seats on, and about 22-26 in the summer.

But, it's a hybrid, so makes sense when you use it as one. On a regular 310 mile round trip most weeks, setting off fully charged and charging at my destination whilst I'm working, I get a minimum of 120 miles electric (or zero emission miles as the car records them) and the balance on petrol at about 50mpg. It's very good at regenerating the battery and any downhill is free progress. So it works out there and back on about four gallons at approx 75mpg.

The rest of the time I drive my 14 mile each way commute all the way there on electric and if I manage to get on the work charger all the way back on electric too. If I can't, then I get about half way back on electric. If I was just doing my regular commute each week, a tank of fuel would last a very long time...

But it doesn't, because I like using GTE mode too at the weekend. Mine is also remapped to give a combined 235bhp which makes up for carrying the battery pack. For my usage, my brim to brim fuel use is 58+ mpg and climbing. Not bad for a lardy 200bhp+ petrol hatchback.

Charging is second nature overnight now, using economy seven it costs me about 70p to fully charge. I can also warm the car up in the morning on a departure timer so the windscreen is defrosted and the cabin warm and battery pre-heated which helps maximise the range.

It's a good car I think, depending on what and how you use a car, coming from an i3 I don't miss the hanging around at service stations recharging on my weekly long trip.

I'd like more electric miles, but it's a balance between cost and weight, and even if you only plug it in every night and charge it, you'll be doing at least a 100 miles every week on electric or over 5000 a year. It'll be significantly cheaper than fuel to cover those too.

Sorry, I've gone on a bit!