closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone put the heating on yet?

Blog Entries

Anyone put the heating on yet?

Starting to feel the chill at night/morning over the last couple of days so contemplating putting the heating on. Not sure I'm mentally ready yet.

Have you made the jump into winter yet?

Master
    Got close the other day and then remembered it was early September and wasn't ready for summer to end yet - same issue wth mental jump

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm in Edinburgh and with a baby in the house, it's not been turned off at all. Temperatures this summer have been awful.

Master
    My wife put the heating on the other evening 'just to dry her cycling kit' and it has not been off since. I moaned and could have turned it off myself but decided to leave it and carry on moaning about it instead! I don't think we need it just yet.

Master
    I live in a old stone conversion in "sunny Lancashire " . The heating has probably been off 3 weeks in total over sporadic days. Other than that ON every day and the house is still only 19 to 20 Deg C . Oh the joys of 3' thick walls and no damp course!

Not until I can see my breath, start of December.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I live in a old stone conversion in "sunny Lancashire " . The heating has probably been off 3 weeks in total over sporadic days. Other than that ON every day and the house is still only 19 to 20 Deg C . Oh the joys of 3' thick walls and no damp course!
    Blimey, your electric bills must be terrific.

Craftsman
    I normally refuse to until November.
    6 weeks to hold on yet, although the way the temperature has dropped here over the last few days might be pushing it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Blimey, your electric bills must be terrific.
    Gas and yes lets say its an annual challenge for the best price!

Blog Entries
    Was out walking the dogs and got caught in a "mother" of a downpour couple of days ago wet right the way through dialled up hive so the house was warm but turned it of after a shower and change.We do have a log fire with logs ready to go on it but must resistfar to early.

Not had the heating on yet but I have come close to lighting the wood burner on a couple of evenings. The tiled bathroom floor has a chill to it in the mornings and makes me yearn for underfloor heating - those Romans knew a thing or two!

Grand Master
    Didn’t have the radiators heating on last year as the underfloor heating provided all the warmth needed,
    RIAC

Heating has been on a few times, and the fire lit 3 times.
    Considering the other half is from these parts, she is a bit of a softie.
    However, after getting soaked through, despite waterproofs, in a torrential hail storm yesterday, the fire did help defrost me!

My heating is always on, controlled by a thermostat in the lounge for various temperature settings during the day, with the other rooms balanced on radiator thermostats so there's no need to ever turn it off, it just kicks in when the temperature is below what we consider the optimum for our life.

I don't really understand the point of turning the heating on and off, I just leave it to the system to maintain the temperatures we like.

Master
    Stays off all year round. As a child I was always told to just put warm clothes on

Log burner lit last night.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I live on the North East coast. When we were kids and it was cold, my Dad used to put extra coal on the fire. When it was so cold the ice was on the inside of the windows, he used to light it. Rule in our house is no heating until the hour goes back. Unless I'm out and my wife puts it on regardless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistmike View Post
    My heating is always on, controlled by a thermostat in the lounge for various temperature settings during the day, with the other rooms balanced on radiator thermostats so there's no need to ever turn it off, it just kicks in when the temperature is below what we consider the optimum for our life.

I don't really understand the point of turning the heating on and off, I just leave it to the system to maintain the temperatures we like.
    Likewise, I just let the Nest thermostat do its thing.

Again, mine is always on, controlled by the thermostat. I noticed that the radiators were on this morning for the first time since April.

I didn't invest in a new, high-efficiency boiler and an expensive programmer so that I could boast about not using it and being cold.

#Southerner.

I've got a stinker of a cold and was shivering last night so much as I hate to admit it, the heating was on.

I'm usually brutal about it and won't have it on until November.

Master
    Been lighting the wood stove each evening now for about a week but set to 'low'. The 'proper' heating probably won't come on 'till the end of October.

PS LOTS of wood/logs stacked up and ready to go ;-)

Master
    Defintely thinking about it.... I always want it on earlier than my other half so it will be time for her compromise on it soon...

Mine's controlled by a Salus remote thermostat. In the summer I put it on the kitchen windowsill and it never comes on. At the moment it's still on the windowsill and only cold enough to come on in the morning. In the winter I'll move it away from sunlight and it will manage itself. My gas bill is in credit so it must be effective.

Master
    Never been off.

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire
    When the clocks go back is the time for me. I've now put on the trackie bottoms & Cubs shirt, a sure fire sign it's getting cold.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Heating goes on when the night time temp drops below zero... until then, if you're cold put a bloody jumper on.

Still using A/C and fans every day...

Turned ours on last weekend when the wife started whinging.

I've been working abroad all week. She'll deny it but, yes, the heating's been on at home.

Master
    My wife asked me to sort the long burner the other day and its been on every evening since. Still feels too early for me.

Had mine on for the past week.
    In an odd gender role reversal the woman I share the house with doesnt like it on and continually turns the thermostat down.

I can't stand the cold. Never could.

Perhaps I should emigrate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    We've got the chimney sweep coming next week and I've some log splitting to do (which I very much enjoy). Heating has been on solely for "drying things" and then accidentally staying on all evening.. Hoping we can hold out a little longer!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I've some log splitting to do
    You're planning on using it this year?

I did all my splitting for this year's burn in May/June, and I'm still seeing moisture of 17-18%; won't drop a great deal more now.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I've some 2yr old oak split and seasoned which is 75% of the log shed. A very dead oak came down in a storm a while ago and has been standing deadwood for a good few years by the looks of it. It's in coins at the moment but good to split! I've found leaving it in rounds discourages our house sitters from burning quite so much when we go on holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Waiting for chimney sweep to call me back. Have to get prepared to light the solid fuel Rayburn (cooking, hot water and central heating). Once it's on it's on for the Winter, but can't go too early as the house gets far too warm for me if it's above 10 degrees C during the day. I'm aiming to light up on Nov 1st, like last year.

We'll get the log burner tube swept early next month just to be on the safe side.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes. But in my defence I'm a woman from the south in scotland so 21 degrees thanks very much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    We'll get the log burner tube swept early next month just to be on the safe side.
    We have a regular fire that burns wood,coal or solid fuel and have the chimney swept annually for £45.00 it is IMO not worth taking a risk.

Yup, in North West and we've had to put it on for a couple of hours in the evening this week. Mind you it's a bit drfty up here with west winds coming straight off the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    We have a regular fire that burns wood,coal or solid fuel and have the chimney swept annually for £45.00 it is IMO not worth taking a risk.
    Annually swept, totally agree, I meant best we got ours done early next month as in past years we've started using the burner some evenings at the back end of October and it's our sole heating source.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th September 2017 at 10:50.

Craftsman
    Wifey put it on last week , funnily enough she has the aircon on in the bedroom though all year . I have dug out the winter blanket as i freeze my nuts off while she has said aircon on

Regardless of fancy thermostats I turn my underfloor heating and 2 floors of radiators off when it's not being used and back on when it gets cold. Kids can fiddle with thermostats so I find it works. I'm a bit confused as the outdoor temperature has been dropping to 9 degrees at night but the house hasn't dropped below 20 without any help from heating. I think part of that's down to it being a modern house with decent insulation tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it's been on for a couple of weeks. Yesterday and today were really cold. I'm not ready for another seven month winter after the worst summer in living memory :(

#wannalivesomewherewarm

Craftsman
    couple of the neighbours have underfloor heating but when they got their lecky bills a few years ago they soon turned it off lol

No... in a newish flat so it's very energy efficient, seems to maintain a steady 20/21C despite outside weather. It'll go on when it drops to 17C inside or when Liz complains. I'm another 'put a jumper on' type lol

Wor lass did yesta, ah was that stottin a var nigh cowp'd me creels.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Wor lass did yesta, ah was that stottin a var nigh cowp'd me creels.
    Got the first bit...'Our lass did yesterday', care to translate the rest Bob? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Got the first bit...'Our lass did yesterday', care to translate the rest Bob? lol
    I was so irate I almost did a somersault Rod.
    F.T.F.A.

Canny good show sir.

Yee hev why-aye solved the problem of hoo te keep warm in wor chilly climate.

Master
    I also live in a very old (built 1826) stone cottage, and the 18-24" thick solid stone walls and relatively small windows mean it's colder and darker than most houses, all of the time!

Added to that, it's in a very exposed, windy location where the wind howls down off the moors. It's typically several degrees cooler and several knots windier than even just a couple of miles downhill.

I often wished I had a cosy new build, but then I remember why I continue to live where I do, and those reasons far outweigh the gas bill!

Having said all that, heating not been on yet, but have had an electric heater on for a few weeks now in my man cave where I spend most of my time. I just put a jumper on for the other parts of the house!