closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sorry -- Yet Another "Advice Sought" Thread

Craftsman

Sorry -- Yet Another "Advice Sought" Thread

I shall be going on holiday to Germany in ten days (I know -- not many Brits do that).

As I shall be in the area, I will probably visit Pforzheim with a view to possibly ordering myself a replica B-Uhr (but on a much more manageable scale than 55mm). Clearly it should come from one of the original manufacturers of the real thing, so that is going to lead me to Stowa or Laco. I have read the internet "puff" from both companies, but have never had the pleasure of fondling products from either.

Given that would be a one-off and "once and for all time" purchase, the price differences and residual values are of secondary importance to me.

Does anyone have views on the relative merits of the companies from personal experience?

[From my internet reading, I tend to lean toward Stowa for the simple reason that their offering can be had with the ETA 2824-2 "Top" movement. The same may be true for Laco, but they don't make it clear.]

Craftsman

112 views and not a single comment. And I thought the B-Uhr was an iconic watch type.

Can't help feeling that, had my question been about brands of Swiss divers, I might have had a response or two.
    Such is life.

I sympathise, but possibly a different thread title might have helped e.g. 'Advice sought on Stowa and Laco B-Uhr homages'. I'd definitely avoid 'replica' in a thread title.

Sorry I can help myself but I have seen a great many different ones on here including the Amazon special a couple of days ago and of course the Timefactors PRS-42 which looks very nice.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...eobachtungsuhr

PRS42

Craftsman
    @ Alfa T33

I appreciate your point about the title, but lack of readers has not been the issue -- much more lack of reply, which probably equates to "this isn't mainstream".

I suppose a "replica" is an attempt at an exact copy, whilst a "homage" is an interpreted/approximate copy. I shall have to remember that this semantic point is a WIS sensitivity.

Thanks for the link.

David

Both Laco and Stowa were manufacturers of the original flieger watches for the Luftwaffe. In this, they obviously both have the same history and heritage.

As far as the watches go, Stowa are more refined. The steel is a quality brushed finish on the Stowa, they use decorated ETA movements and are more expensive as a result.

Laco used to use the basic Miyota movement, although I think they use ETA in some models now, they have a more agricultural, blasted finish, but are cheaper.

I've had both and while the Stowa was a lovely watch, the Laco somehow felt more authentic, like the tool watch it was originally designed to be.

Hope this helps

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Both Laco and Stowa were manufacturers of the original flieger watches for the Luftwaffe. In this, they obviously both have the same history and heritage.

As far as the watches go, Stowa are more refined. The steel is a quality brushed finish on the Stowa, they use decorated ETA movements and are more expensive as a result.

Laco used to use the basic Miyota movement, although I think they use ETA in some models now, they have a more agricultural, blasted finish, but are cheaper.

I've had both and while the Stowa was a lovely watch, the Laco somehow felt more authentic, like the tool watch it was originally designed to be.

Hope this helps

It does indeed. Views from people with experience of both makes' watches was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

If you want you B Uhr as near as possible on the original ones, then look for the Laco Erbstück. Just amazing how close they are. Only be aware that each piece differs in the look of the aged parts. So if you are there you can pick the one which's patina appeals you the most.

Here is a review on them: https://www.fratellowatches.com/laco-flieger-erbstuck/

And thats how cool they look like (if you like patina)

source: watchtime.net
    Last edited by ILoveWatches; 15th September 2017 at 08:20.

Hi there.

I was lucky enough to have a Stowa back in 2013. It was a short lived but great watch, loved the markings on the rotor etc and the onion crown.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Craftsman
    Very good visit to the Stowa factory today (it's stunningly located).
    They let me look round their museum and view, fondle and try on all of their 40mm(ish) Flieger offerings. They seem to be very well manufactured for the price. Most stunning was the version with the Unitas movement, but unfortunately it does not feature a second hand, so I eschewed it in favour of the ETA 2824-2 (Top) version.
    Through luck, I missed their substantial price increase by one day!
    Thanks for all the advice.
    Will post photo when it arrives.

Rolex Oysterquartz (17000) stainless steel beater; Cartier Santos quartz in steel/gold for dress wear; Audemars Piguet Huitième chronograph in yellow gold; Glashütte Original Senator Excellence (classic dial) in steel; Glashütte Original Panoreserve (blue dial) in steel.
    Need more . . . .

Craftsman
    Arrived it has!

Very nice, I have always liked the aesthetic of the B-hur watches, but like you have been put off by the size. The 40mm looks a lot better balanced on the wrist - what size lugs does this have and are they fixed?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    Very nice, I have always liked the aesthetic of the B-hur watches, but like you have been put off by the size. The 40mm looks a lot better balanced on the wrist - what size lugs does this have and are they fixed?
    Diameter: 40,00mm
    Height: 10,20mm
    Strap width: 20,00mm
    Lug-to-Lug size: 48,60mm
    Waterproof: up to 5 ATM
    Weight: 70 gr. (leather strap), about 120 gr. (metal bracelet)

[From the Stowa web-site -- hence the decimal commas]