closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Rolex thread...Hulk vs Kermit

Another Rolex thread...Hulk vs Kermit

I won't apologise for another R thread, you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Hulk versus Kermit.

Which do you prefer and why ?
    Personal opinion is all I'm after.

I've seen neither in the flesh yet but I intend to have a look at both.

I'm more drawn to the Hulk as it's more unique but I'm interested in any other views.

And let's not start throwing $h!t about 'cos it's another R vs R thread please, it is watch talk after all ain't it ?

Thank you
    Kermit 16610LV

Hulk 116610LV

Both pics courtesy of bobs watches, thanks
    Last edited by reggie747; 14th September 2017 at 12:25.

Master
    Just a small point, this forum is full of people who will not know what a Hulk or a Kermit is, so why not use their proper name and show pics for comparison purposes?

I like neither because they look too loud for my tastes.

Master
    Both great watches in different ways. The hulk is quite hard to get new from an AD lately as supply is very short. If you can get one from an AD then that's great, otherwise I'd imagine you have to pay over list. If you like the fact that it's ceramic then it's a great option. The green is quite striking and at certain angles wears like it's black.

The Kermit is becoming a classic and very desirable. The price has shot up in the last 18 months. My brother bought them for his sons and paid around £5,000 or slightly more each only early last year I think. You would be looking quite far north of £7,000 I'd imagine.

I'd be very happy with either, it really depends on whether you like the more modern one, or the older style. Personally I wouldn't buy if it was my only watch. I like the green but I also would like to have a different colour watch. But that's just me.

Well thank you for the opening response Mick.....
    I expect the people on this forum who will have any input into this thread will know exactly what they are but if not, I'm referring to 16610LV and 116610LV. Google will identify the differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Just a small point, this forum is full of people who will not know what a Hulk or a Kermit is, so why not use their proper name and show pics for comparison purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Well thank you for the opening response Mick.....
    I expect the people on this forum who will have any input into this thread will know exactly what they are but if not, I'm referring to 16610LV and 116610LV. Google will identify the differences.
    Many people will read the thread without inputting. Would be nice to know what the comments referred to without having to search elsewhere.

Banned

You should create a 'new post tutorial' sticky, so we all comply with your requirements.

OP, what you'll get is personal opinion. Mine is the Hulk as it's different enough from the standard Sub and I prefer the new case shape.

Master
    It would be a Hulk for me too.

A friend got one recently, he lives in Coventry but got if from Preston's in Leeds. His family live oop north though and it was a present from his girlfriend. Whether they got lucky and just bought it or it was ordered in I don't know. It's a fantastic looking watch.

Also, http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ermit-vs-Hulk)

Master
    Heresy, perhaps, but I like neither of them. A Rolex sports/diver is brash enough as it is (and yes, I've got/have had several) but the green is just too much, particularly the Kermit, which to me looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker.

Master

Hulk

Hulk would win as Kermit is just a small frog🤗🤗

On a serious note I would go Kermit due to the limited number!

Do love a hulk but I personally see a lot of them and so far they have all been worn by builders and salesman?!?!

Chris

Master
    100% Kermit for me.

In my opinion...

Nicer case shape
    Much nicer bezel colour
    Black dial so not as OTT as hulk

Blog Entries
    Of the two it would be the 116610LV, but to be honest the green is a tad too loud for my liking.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Heresy, perhaps, but I like neither of them. A Rolex sports/diver is brash enough as it is (and yes, I've got/have had several) but the green is just too much, particularly the Kermit, which to me looks like it came out of a Christmas cracker.
    Pretty much sums it up apart from the bit in bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Both great watches in different ways.
    The hulk is quite hard to get new from an AD lately as supply is very short. If you can get one from an AD then that's great, otherwise I'd imagine you have to pay over list. If you like the fact that it's ceramic then it's a great option. The green is quite striking and at certain angles wears like it's black.

The Kermit is becoming a classic and very desirable. The price has shot up in the last 18 months. My brother bought them for his sons and paid around £5,000 or slightly more each only early last year I think. You would be looking quite far north of £7,000 I'd imagine.

I'd be very happy with either, it really depends on whether you like the more modern one, or the older style. Personally I wouldn't buy if it was my only watch. I like the green but I also would like to have a different colour watch. But that's just me.
    It wouldn't be an AD purchase, so pre-owned is good for both.
    I wonder, other than the green alu bezel, what else bumps up the Kermit price - is it the exclusivity perhaps or is there something else over and above a sub date that I'm missing ?
    I'd be quite happy with old or new, alu or ceramic really I think and it won't be my only watch also.

Master
    Very different watches, both can exist in a collection. I suspect sometimes you feel more show off and want the Hulk, other days the Kermit is such a classy watch with great details

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

Master
    It wouldn't be an AD purchase, so pre-owned is good for both.
    I wonder, other than the green alu bezel, what else bumps up the Kermit price - is it the exclusivity perhaps or is there something else over and above a sub date that I'm missing ?
    There's lots of reasons why watches go up in value. One of the main ones would be that it's discontinued (as soon as the 116500 came out last year the 116520 rose substantially) and therefore long term will be harder to get. I think it also was popular even before that (was their anniversary watch I believe). Also SS Rolex have in the main all gone up quite a lot since Brexit £/$/euro!

Master
    Having just purchased a Hulk new from an AD but looked at the Kermit as an option, I went with the Hulk. At 6.6k the price point wasn't to dissimilar but I just loved the sunburst dial. I'm fortunate to have other watches, so I get the point about this being someone's only watch.

It's been said, it a preference and you should hold out for what you want. Try them on at WF and stick with your choice as you will no doubt buy one and sell it at some stage to fund the other.

What's not to love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hulk for me too, lovely watch. I find the pre-ceramic subs just too small now. I know they're not too small, but when I've had ploprofs and deepseas I can't adjust to their size. Plus the hulk has that beautiful dial. Btw, I've never seen anyone in the real world wearing one...still pretty "rare" in real terms.

I've had both, and this is the one I've kept:

Bezel options and the last of the classics, plus they're not making any more of them.

Because anyone with a valid opinion will know what he's referring to, duh.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Because anyone with a valid opinion will know what he's referring to, duh.
    Be reasonable. Hulk and Kermit are far harder to grasp than 16610lv and 116610lv. Any non Rolex affectionado knows what those codes are at a glance.

OP 16610 gives the scope to change between black and green inserts and I think the green ceramic bezel can look a little washed out.

As a Kermit owner (where do these stupid names come from, the US I preume) I would say your first choice is over which case design you prefer. The colour is almost incidental. For me the new Rolex cases are too OTT so the decision was easy. The 16610LV has the maxi dial too which is great for my aging eyes and a reason I can use to justify to myself the cost of it over a regular 16610. Mine is a M serial and the green bezel is really quite soft in colour, it has an almost mellow vintage tone to it.

Craftsman
    I would choose the 5 digit if money were not a factor. I had always thought the 116610 to be a bit garish for me but if I am honest, I am warming to it, especially now that the 16610 is selling for far more than I would like to pay. In the end though, I think its like comparing green chalk and green cheese - they are very different watches.

Master
    Would be the Kermit for me, the Hulk is just a bit ott for my tastes. Try them both on and you'll soon see which you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Btw, I've never seen anyone in the real world wearing one...still pretty "rare" in real terms.
    I saw a woman on the Tube wearing one a couple of month back and I thought it really looked stunning, just worn casually.

How does a green dial work if you actually go diving? I know orange dials are easier to read, does green have any practical value?

Putting aside the "Green" theme of these two watches, a 5 digit reference is a very different watch when compared to a 6 digit reference.

You absolutely must try these both on side by side and go with your gut on which you prefer.

The newer 116610LV Hulk (6 digit reference) is a pure piece of engineering brilliance, but it's much more substantial on the wrist. The solid link bracelet and Glidelock are heavier and feel very different on the wrist compared to older bracelet.

The 16610LV (Kermit) has more of a timeless classic appearance and is a desirable watch right now. Also note that the shade of green on the bezel may vary on the older models, but the newer Hulk will be more solid and fade resistance.

I'm not sure if I could pick one, but whenever possible I'd recommend you buy the more expensive one then you can always sell it to fund the other.

Craftsman
    Kermit for me all day long, IMHO it just looks classier. Prefer the case size also.

Master
    I prefer the case and bracelet on the Hulk but think the Kermit looks a bit less brash.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I saw a woman on the Tube wearing one a couple of month back and I thought it really looked stunning, just worn casually.

How does a green dial work if you actually go diving? I know orange dials are easier to read, does green have any practical value?
    I'm pretty sure it's Green as a reference to 'Rolex' and represents an anniversary model which of course has no obvious advantages if the watch is actually used for diving in the ocean.

The orange thing is BS, anyway.

Contrast is what influences legibility.

Master
    Kermit due to size, LE and less showy (I found a green bezel just seemed to jar too often to be a regular wearer).

Kermit for me. I prefer the pre-ceramic case and I just think it looks classier.

I was standing next to a bloke on the tube who was wearing a hulk and it was too green and... well... hulky. Plus he looked like a proper bell anyway, with a ton of hair gel and pointy shoes. Put me right off

How about one of these instead...

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs View Post
    a reference to 'Rolex' and represents an anniversary model
    The orange thing is BS, anyway.
    Thanks both.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Hulk and Kermit are far harder to grasp than 16610lv and 116610lv. Any non Rolex affectionado knows what those codes are at a glance.
    I seriously doubt this. A non-Rolex aficionado wouldn't have a clue what the codes mean, even after a long hard stare, never mind a glance.

It's like the Seiko codes, meaningless unless you know about Seikos.

Craftsman
    Hulk would be my first choice - though I really like the option to change out the bezel on the Kermit for a black one and enjoy the maxi dial!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I had a Kermit and didn't keep it very long, thought that it felt a bit delicate and insubstantial on the wrist. Have never tried a ceramic sub but I have a ceramic GMT2 and I love how it feels.
    Not sure about the green colour on either......

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I seriously doubt this. A non-Rolex aficionado wouldn't have a clue what the codes mean, even after a long hard stare, never mind a glance.

It's like the Seiko codes, meaningless unless you know about Seikos.
    There's this new thing called sarcasm, you see... ;)

Banned
    Kermis for me
    What was the production date for the Kermit 16610LV, Did it come with 2 basels?

As said before it's not all about how much green each has... they are both very different watches.

I personally bought the Hulk (116610LV); the glidelock is something to behold, the bigger case just suits me more and I have skinny wrists, the general proportions are more appealing e.g. crown guard on steroids!

I like the Bezel having the numbers cut in and not printed, subtle but quite a big difference to it's look.

Some pictures make the green over the top (direct bright sunlight) but in my experience the dial often appears very dark with the bezel mainly bringing the green to the party.

Indeed, there's no wrong choice here.

Master
    As previously stated about the dial,the press release pics of the LVC looked awful but the dial is generally black/ dark green unless in direct light. Having both I'd say I like the updates on the new model and heard many stories of the ceramic bezel being easily cracked but thankfully this hasn't happened.
    The Oder model is a classic but feels a bit light and the bracelet is nothing compared to the newer one.
    I'd still pick an LV over the LVC if another came up for sale.
    Last edited by Loupe; 14th September 2017 at 14:47.

For what it's worth, I prefer the 16610LV on the wrist in both look and feel. The lighter bracelet is brilliant fir actually wearing, and equally strong as the newer version.

Master

There's this new thing called sarcasm, you see... ;)
    Doh! I'm full of cold so not feeling at my sharpest.

Apologies to Verv

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No worries doll. Hope the cold clears up soon, they're miserable

Kermit for me. I prefer the pre-ceramic case and I just think it looks classier.

I was standing next to a bloke on the tube who was wearing a hulk and it was too green and... well... hulky. Plus he looked like a proper bell anyway, with a ton of hair gel and pointy shoes. Put me right off

How about one of these instead...

Errrr, I'll wait for that with a catchers mitt on SC if you don't mind ?

I currently have a 114060 and a 14060M so I'm aware how both these wear, case size wise, I'm just a little curious about the colourways of the "greens".
    Suppose I'd better get them on the wrist in good light to appreciate the differences.

Errrr, I'll wait for that with a catchers mitt on SC if you don't mind ?
    I'll give you first dibs. I'm undecided on it. It feels and looks good, but do I need another one? I'm wearing it tomorrow and will decide over the weekend

I'll give you first dibs. I'm undecided on it. It feels and looks good, but do I need another one? I'm wearing it tomorrow and will decide over the weekend
    Bring it on and you could end up making the decision for me, who knows haha

Green's not my favourite colour on a watch, I prefer the old LV to the new at least you can swap the bezel.

I have both and to my surprise (as I normally prefer the older Rolex models) in this case I prefer the Hulk.
    The dial / bezel combination works better particularly in the sun and the Glidelock bracelet adjustment feature helps.