closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any retail experts on site?

Master

Any retail experts on site?

Hi... Looking for a little advice...

In May 2016 I bought a Canon iP8750 photo printer from John Lewis with a two year warranty, so plenty of time left on that. It has been faultless until yesterday when one of the black channels (the one that prints text such as letters etc.) stopped working, but photos still print out perfectly. I have changed both the black cartridges (not sure if it's the large one or the small one so replaced both), performed three head cleans and reinstalled the printer drivers all to no avail. I am therefore of the opinion that it's a fault with the printer.

Now the fun starts... John Lewis customer service referred me to Canon. After holding for 20 minutes to an 0207 number I eventually got through to someone in Canon 'technical' who went through the whole rigmarole of taking my email address etc. etc., asking me a few basic questions about OS, was I connecting by Wifi or cable etc. then put me on hold for another 5 minutes. He then eventually came back to me and said because I was using compatible cartridges not Canon originals that they wouldn't help. i couldn't really argue with him because his speech led me to believe that English is his second language.

So here's my question.... if I return it to John Lewis and ask for a repair under guarantee how do I stand? Appreciate any advice.

Rob

Using the compatible cartridges doesn't invalidate the warranty unless they prove the fault was caused by them. That would probably require an engineer to come and check the printer and you may be responsible for a call-out if he can prove they were the cause.

I would suggest somewhere in very very very small writing there is a clause in the terms and conditions that renders the use of compatible cartridges as a void of warranty.

You need to check your specific warranty, but a quick google suggests the following limitations on a claim ...

Damage caused directly by the use of spare parts, software or consumables (such as ink, paper, toner or batteries), which are not compatible with the product. Compatibility with your specific Canon product should be evidenced on the packaging but is assured when using genuine Canon spare parts, software or consumables as these have been tested. You are advised to check compatibility prior to use.

Now to me that's not saying you can't use compatible ink at all, so long as you ensure it is really compatible - though proving it is compatible could be very difficult depending on what the fault is. If it's nowt to do with ink delivery to the paper (blocked head etc) then I'd go back and argue that the use of compatible ink is irrelevant to your claim anyway, but the fact it does sound like that kind of fault could make this interesting!
    Last edited by Mr Stoat; 13th September 2017 at 18:22.

Master
    Thanks, all... I'm going to have to give it a try anyway, it's a £200 printer and I can't just scrap it. I'm basing my thinking on the fact that the same cartridges haven't affected the other 5 channels so can't see why the black one should.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Thanks, all... I'm going to have to give it a try anyway, it's a £200 printer and I can't just scrap it. I'm basing my thinking on the fact that the same cartridges haven't affected the other 5 channels so can't see why the black one should.

Rob
    Playing devils advocate here but black is used the most so over time the others may develop the same fault.

When you bought the ink, were they sold as compatible? Maybe worth contacting them and saying their ink has caused the printer to fail, worth a try.

Plus taking it back to a store may get you a different answer

Does it get regular use ? Is the atmosphere it lives in warm/dry (near a heat source) ? Have you tried deep head cleaning cycles ?

Inkjets not used frequently suffer from this. I hope you get a result either way.

Consider a Dell colour laser as your next purchase - very good they are.

Master
    Send it back WITHOUT the cartridges. They'll still look at it as Canon tech will have loads to hand and it might remove an obvious debating point

If you can remove the print head on that model (you can on my Canon) you can literally take the head off and soak it in hot water then rinse it through. Well worth trying that too first just in case it is a dried ink blockage

Craftsman
    Your far too honest for your own good admitting that you used compatible inks.....if you'd not of said anything they would have received it back and more than likely just swapped the print head or the whole printer for you.
    If you go back to the JL, just tell them that Canon told you to bring it back to them and see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If John Lewis offer the 2 year warranty then they should sort it out not Canon I would have thought. If it is the text black then it will be the bigger cartridge. Even with compatible ink I would not have thought long enough has passed for it to block yet. Then again inkjets tend to need to be used quite frequently to keep them working ok.

As an aside I had a fairly expensive HP inkjet that eventually blocked well out of warranty despite me only using HP ink. I was able to get another year or more out of it by removing the print head and cleaning it. But I then used compatibles for all the print and nozzle checks this then required as it used so much ink doing that. I managed another couple of head cleans before nothing would make it work. I've gone to a cheap Epson now with compatibles as it is cheaper to buy a new printer than replace the ink with Epson brand!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Utred View Post
    Your far too honest for your own good admitting that you used compatible inks.....if you'd not of said anything they would have received it back and more than likely just swapped the print head or the whole printer for you.
    If you go back to the JL, just tell them that Canon told you to bring it back to them and see what they say.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app
    So the answer to too much honesty is dishonesty? What if it was the compatable carts caused the issue?

Just let someone else pick up the bill?

As has been said:
    Take cartridges out, pack it up, and send it back with proof of purchase.
    Job done.

Master
    http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...ed-or-replaced

"Some manufacturers may disapprove of you using ink other than the branded ink. But unless it can be shown that the ink has caused the fault, you should still have the rights to get a repair or replacement. "

Take it back to a JL store with the receipt and without the cartridges and see what they say.

Canon will know if you've been using 3rd party inks, but JL won't.

If you're lucky JL will swap it for you. Canon will make JL good by return. You don't have to worry about JL taking the hit.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Take it back to a JL store with the receipt and without the cartridges and see what they say.

Canon will know if you've been using 3rd party inks, but JL won't.

If you're lucky JL will swap it for you. Canon will make JL good by return. You don't have to worry about JL taking the hit.
    But it is JL's 2yr warranty. JL will pick up the cost of yr 2 claims?

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Got to admit JL of late are poor, very poor. Had a problem with a microwave and they just didn't care or want to know. Had to go direct with the manufacturer in the end. I found the service so poor that I'm now seriously considering purchasing an OLED tv from............ drum roll............. Currys 🤡

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Got to admit JL of late are poor, very poor. Had a problem with a microwave and they just didn't care or want to know. Had to go direct with the manufacturer in the end. I found the service so poor that I'm now seriously considering purchasing an OLED tv from............ drum roll............. Currys 嵐
    Currys also try AO or Richer Sounds as you are in London but JL are not what they used to be.

I'd vote for richer Sounds too, been using them for decades now for A/V and remain impressed by their service.

Sadly, JL have gone off the boil in recent times IME.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    I went to Canon UK support directly using their online system.

The printer is a Smartbase MP370.
    I described the symptoms - very similar to your with the black not working at all.

They advised a temp workaround and an engineer was scheduled. He called replaced a print head "to be safe" and left with no charge.

IMPORTANTLY : The printer was not in guarantee - out by 2 years - I was impressed.

He advised me to do a nozzle check if the printer has been standing for more than a couple of weeks and never let the tanks run dry (that screws up the head) I think that I may have inadvertently done this.
    The subject of ink never came up.
    Good luck !

B

According to this the Canon warranty is only for 12 months: https://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...warranty_faqs/ so John Lewis must have offered an extended warranty. It's worth making a fuss with them as you're now in the extended period.

Master
    Thanks, all. Result!

I decided to 'have a go' myself. I removed the ink cartridges and wrapped them individually in clingfilm to stop the drying out - not sure if that was overkill, but thought it as good idea. Then removed the print head which just clips out. The black nozzle looked decidedly grey so I got some very hot water on a Q tip and gently cleaned all the nozzles. I then left the print head in the sun to dry out and finished off with a hair drier just in case. Finally I reinstalled the printer head (much trickier than removing it, in truth) and the ink cartridges. Switched back on and after some faffing about it now works perfectly.

That has saved me from going into Cardiff city centre on Saturday, which consequently means that Mrs. Barryboy wiill now not be going also which means that Barryboy won't be dragged around every sodding shop in Cardiff, and Barryboy might be able to get out on his motorbike on the weekend.

Win/Win!