closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Rolex purchase, last minute advice ?

Craftsman

My first Rolex purchase, last minute advice ?

If anyone has some last minute advice on buying the attached watch then I would be all ears to read.
    This is my first Rolex, I've looked around and after some time this is the kiddie for me.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/sub...-id3885943.htm

The same watch was £9995 from my local AD, the price difference is considerable enough for me to go with the advertised watch but as my first buy and knowing th importance of customer care would you advise different ?

Any advice would be great please as it's been a real hard slog for me understand the models and prices.

Journeyman

My first Rolex purchase, last minute advice ?

With the £115 postage I assume it comes to £9100? If it was me, I’d pay another £895 (must be about 9% but I’m too lazy to do the maths) and get it brand new from a UK bricks and mortar AD. But that’s just me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe.d View Post
    With the £115 postage I assume it comes to £9100? If it was me, I’d pay another £895 (must be about 9% but I’m too lazy to do the maths) and get it brand new from a UK bricks and mortar AD. But that’s just me!

And I've not asked if there is any discount in the ad , I don't know if one gets thrown out onto the street for even asking.
    To me there is no harm in trying... ?

I'd personally be curious why there's only one photo of what's presumably the actual watch, and two mismatched stock photos — one with stickers, one without.

Of course, if you can inspect in person and make sure you're happy with it, then could be worth a go.

He appears to be a pro seller with a 4.8 out of 5 feedback, you're happy with the watch, what's to go wrong? I however prefer bricks and mortar but that's just me.
    Have you actually tried on a sub?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    And I've not asked if there is any discount in the ad , I don't know if one gets thrown out onto the street for even asking.
    To me there is no harm in trying... ?
    Shook by the throat and flogged in the street for suggesting anything so silly ;)

Master
    Same for me bricks and mortar wherever possible. I'd certainly ask an AD for a discount, might be unlikely but if you're ready to buy there and then who knows.

At that price the extra money to buy it new in store is worth the premium in my eyes.

Craftsman
    The only other bonus is 2 years interest free. I have the money but I use interest free if it's available as it might as well be in my account as theirs if it's free.

I've looked at older ones but they hold what look like keen prices to me making a new one even more attractive.
    It's not as if they are 50% off after 3 years.
    The joys of Rolex !

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    He appears to be a pro seller with a 4.8 out of 5 feedback, you're happy with the watch, what's to go wrong? I however prefer bricks and mortar but that's just me.
    Have you actually tried on a sub?
    Yes, 'twas a done deal from that moment it went on, just from who.

If it was me I would be 100% sure that I got a Rolex 5 year warranty in my name. As far as I am aware this can only be achieved by going into an AD.
    No doubt someone will rapidly tell me if I am incorrect here.
    I don't think buying a new Rolex from the grey market is the way to go.

The only other bonus is 2 years interest free. I have the money but I use interest free if it's available as it might as well be in my account as theirs if it's free.

I've looked at older ones but they hold what look like keen prices to me making a new one even more attractive.
    It's not as if they are 50% off after 3 years.
    The joys of Rolex !
    You can get 0% finance at most AD's now aslong as you stick 10-20% down.
    For my money and as others have said, I'd rather have the ID card in my name with a 5 year warranty.
    But good luck whatever you decide.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    If it was me I would be 100% sure that I got a Rolex 5 year warranty in my name. As far as I am aware this can only be achieved by going into an AD.
    No doubt someone will rapidly tell me if I am incorrect here.
    I don't think buying a new Rolex from the grey market is the way to go.
    I have heard of open data cards, where there is no name added to the warranty card. But I am sure that a rarity and nothing Rolex would authorise.

To the OP - for your first Rolex I too would suggest going to an AD. But should you go down the second hand route, you would want to ensure there is as much of the 5yr warranty remaining (sorry I didn't check how long was left from the add)

Craftsman
    I would have thought a discount from a UK AD would be very unlikely, 0% finance & a free service could be possible.

Fraser hart in MK had a blue sub 2 weeks ago.

Great choice for your first rolex

Master
    Agree that it is a great choice for your first Rolex. Whilst 900 odd pounds is no meagre amount of money I would also lean towards buying new from an AD. I would also be more inclined to ask about a free service rather than free finance, especially as you say that you have the cash on the hip.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

As others have said, that price isn't keen enough to merit buying pre-owned. Go to an AD and work out a deal, get the card in your name, the full warranty, freebies, and a shop you can go back to if there are any issues.

Master
    Nice watch

Journeyman
    As others have said, go AD
    10% for piece of mind, Cards in your name and I can only assume the aftercare service would be non existent from a dealer compared to an Authorised Dealer

Or you could pay £9400 at Iconic! No harm in going grey, IMO.

Craftsman
    +115 the postage fees +a considerable percentage for the chrono24 commission.. I d prefer to pay the premium and drink an expensive cold beer at the ADs

I could be wrong, but the apparent grime alongside the raised centre section of the end links doesn't exactly say "unworn" to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Nice watch
    Oh come on!

OP.

I would buy new from an AD if this is your first Rolex else from reputable dealer like Blowers or Iconic or Watchfinder or watches.co.uk. That's my advise anyway. And try and get a free first service that probably won't be due until 10y time so worth more than the saving by buying second hand.

A second hand watch should have the remainder of the warranty available on the watch (as long as it was originally bought and stamped by an AD on the warranty card) available to the new and subsequent owners.

Good luck - whatever you choose. And tell us all about it!

Martyn.

Grand Master
    Strongly advise that you insist on picking the watch up in person and inspect it very carefully. Look for minor cosmetic marks/scratches, check it hadn't been an ADs stock tgat's been tried on and (mis) handled. Also check how long the warranty is.

Personally I'd prefer to go to and AD and haggle for a few % discount. Historically it's always been possible to get better discounts on bimetal modelsut that may have changed.

This could be an excellent deal, but I'd definitely be cautious and I'd insist on picking the watch up. If they won't agree to that I wouldn't do the deal.

Paul

That watch is regularly available at Heathrow from Watches of Switzerland or the Rolex Boutique (depends on terminal). They will even get that shipped into the airport for you. That £9,995 becomes £8,329 at airpot prices if you are flying outside of EU. Even if you aren't planning to fly pick a cheap flight outside of the EU (say Switzerland) and bring it back same day (or make a night of it, the saving on the RRP more than offsets it).

Like I said for that model they would ship that into the airport, it's not a harder one to get like a SS Sub etc so call them first, confirm they have shipped it in, book a flight outside of the EU like Switzerland and job's a good'un

Master
    I see Guardian of Time often have the best prices but don't know anyone who has bought from them, and searches here show the same, so I would only buy in person, also not sure how efficient chrono24 are if you have issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That watch is regularly available at Heathrow from Watches of Switzerland or the Rolex Boutique (depends on terminal). They will even get that shipped into the airport for you. That £9,995 becomes £8,329 at airpot prices if you are flying outside of EU. Even if you aren't planning to fly pick a cheap flight outside of the EU (say Switzerland) and bring it back same day (or make a night of it, the saving on the RRP more than
    I am no expert, but isn't that potentially a crime ? Vat is surely payable on that watch when you re-enter.and yet the intention is to avoid that. And if so, should TZ be used to recommend blatant criminal acts? It's one thing for people to defraud the country... because taxes pay for our hospitals and so on, it's another to actually recommend it in public.
    It won't be a popular thing to say, but I hope people get caught and punished. It's such a cold, deliberate and planned act. It's sleazy stuff.
    Unless someone can show it's legal ? That bit of sophistry I would like to see.
    Last edited by paskinner; 12th September 2017 at 06:07.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I am no expert, but isn't that a crime ? Vat is surely payable on that watch when you re-enter.And if so, should TZ be used to recommend blatant criminal acts? It's one thing for people to defraud the country... because taxes pay for our hospitals and so on, it's another to actually recommend it in public.
    It won't be a popular thing to say, but I hope people get caught and punished. Tax fraud is crime. We all suffer from the results. It's sleazy stuff.
    Unless someone can show it's legal ? Not to pay tax on a watch bought in the UK and brought straight back into the EU?
    It's legal. VAT is paid. The watch is simply discounted by the amount of VAT but VAT is indeed included in the price and paid to HMRC.

'VAT free' is a misnomer. It's simply a RRP discount they are providing with VAT indeed paid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    All great replies , many thanks.
    The majority rules and AD it is .
    Its a long term purchase so over the course of ownership the extra % paid will be long forgotten.

Yes it's a little more but its a big buy for me so I need to get it right .

Journeyman
    All great replies , many thanks.
    The majority rules and AD it is .
    Its a long term purchase so over the course of ownership the extra % paid will be long forgotten.

Yes it's a little more but its a big buy for me so I need to get it right .
    good decision, I think you're doing the right thing. not saving that much......

Journeyman
    It's legal. VAT is paid. The watch is simply discounted by the amount of VAT but VAT is indeed included in the price and paid to HMRC.

'VAT free' is a misnomer. It's simply a RRP discount they are providing with VAT indeed paid.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    How true is this? Surely you'd have to declare it on return to the UK? Would the receipt from Watches of Switzerland show that VAT has been paid?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    That bit of sophistry I would like to see.
    sophistry
    ˈsɒfɪstri/
    noun
    the use of clever but false arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving

Nice accusation

Quote Originally Posted by lewwyt View Post
    How true is this? Surely you'd have to declare it on return to the UK? Would the receipt from Watches of Switzerland show that VAT has been paid?
    I wonder if Ryan has ever perchance bought a watch in this manner? 😂

Quote Originally Posted by lewwyt View Post
    Yep VAT is paid. The watch is sold with an RRP discount equivalent to the VAT amount, but VAT is paid. It's not Tax Free it's discounted by that amount with VAT still collected and paid to HMRC. It's not like buying a bottle of Vodka etc

Edited to add that this is the case if you are a UK national. If not UK national then VAT is not charged. But UK nationals get an RRP discount equivalent to the VAT amount which works exactly the same as if you got a 16.6% discount from a High St AD. VAT IS STILL COLLECTED AND PAID!!!

Making that bit very clear :)
    Last edited by ryanb741; 12th September 2017 at 11:32.

Craftsman
    Yep VAT is paid. The watch is sold with an RRP discount equivalent to the VAT amount, but VAT is paid. It's not Tax Free it's discounted by that amount with VAT still collected and paid to HMRC. It's not like buying a bottle of Vodka etc

Edited to add that this is the case if you are a UK national. If not UK national then VAT is not charged. But UK nationals get an RRP discount equivalent to the VAT amount which works exactly the same as if you got a 16.6% discount from a High St AD. VAT IS STILL COLLECTED AND PAID!!!

Making that bit very clear :)
    Wow, I'm impressed by this. Let me ask in super simple, 'I'm a bit of a dummy so I'd really like to be sure about it', way:

If I went through LHR heading somewhere outside the EU, stopped at one of the watch or jewellery places and bought something nice, they'd give me a receipt that showed I'd bought it in the UK and paid VAT on it?

Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed by this. Let me ask in super simple, 'I'm a bit of a dummy so I'd really like to be sure about it', way:

If I went through LHR heading somewhere outside the EU, stopped at one of the watch or jewellery places and bought something nice, they'd give me a receipt that showed I'd bought it in the UK and paid VAT on it?

Won't show VAT paid as no AD provides this on receipts but VAT IS paid.

Within EU the discount is also is fine for every brand apart from Rolex and that is Rolex policy not HMRC policy which further shows that what you are getting is a discounted watch not a Vat free watch

Otherwise no point in offering the VAT free prices if Vat was payable on return given the majority of people flying from LHR are British.

Obviously this doesn’t apply if you buy a Duty Free watch from Dubai, USA etc as tax won’t have been paid in the UK but last time I checked Heathrow was in the UK J

Last edited by ryanb741; 12th September 2017 at 14:35.

And could a non UK/EU resident claim the VAT back? The 20% after discount?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    And could a non UK/EU resident claim the VAT back? The 20% after discount?
    No. They get the VAT off. UK/EU get discounted pricing with VAT applied. That's why you can get a 'VAT Free' price on a Speedy Pro even if you are flying Heathrow to Glasgow. Only Rolex don't allow intra-EU discounting to maintain their no discount policy

Craftsman

Within EU the discount is also is fine for every brand apart from Rolex and that is Rolex policy not HMRC policy which further shows that what you are getting is a discounted watch not a Vat free watch

Otherwise no point in offering the VAT free prices if Vat was payable on return given the majority of people flying from LHR are British.

Obviously this doesn’t apply if you buy a Duty Free watch from Dubai, USA etc as tax won’t have been paid in the UK but last time I checked Heathrow was in the UK J

Thanks, good to know, although a little worrying given the odd occurrence of 'delayed flight, exec lounge bar, see what watches look good'. Last one of those ended up with a necklace my wife didn't like.

Last minute advice to the OPs question I think is LHR to Geneva on SwissAir, £105 return and a cheese fondue for lunch. Although Geneva airport does has a VAT refund desk, I've never seen it open so buy at LHR. Weird thing about Geneva is that after taking your toe nail clippers off you at the x-ray machines, they let you buy a swiss army knife in duty free.

No. They get the VAT off. UK/EU get discounted pricing with VAT applied. That's why you can get a 'VAT Free' price on a Speedy Pro even if you are flying Heathrow to Glasgow. Only Rolex don't allow intra-EU discounting to maintain their no discount policy
    Aaah I see. Cheers

Miltons have one for £9500, free delivery.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz View Post
    Miltons have one for £9500, free delivery.
    To clarify, that is Eric G Milton Ltd / G.S.Milton Ltd.

H

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    You can get 0% finance at most AD's now aslong as you stick 10-20% down.
    For my money and as others have said, I'd rather have the ID card in my name with a 5 year warranty.
    But good luck whatever you decide.
    Well my local AD in Chelmsford doesn't. I didn't think they did finance full stop for the Rolex sports models or waiting list pieces. I asked out of curiosity as someone mentioned it here and they said they no they didn't. Good luck if others have.

Good. Who the hell buys a big-ticket luxury trinket on credit, anyway!?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Indeed

Craftsman
    Someone who uses the system ?

Why should I use all my money when I can use someone else's for nothing ?? Different if it costs you to borrow, totally different.

I could buy outright , job done or I could give them £4k and use the other £6k to buy other bits and bobs and make ........£1k

You could also get a discount on a cash purchase, or just buy it cheaper on the grey market.

Either way, then you own it outright and don't have a debt obligation. The seemingly-free 0% interest option is always more costly. There's a reason that they only offer it on less-desirable items. ;)

Journeyman
    Someone who uses the system ?

Why should I use all my money when I can use someone else's for nothing ?? Different if it costs you to borrow, totally different.

I could buy outright , job done or I could give them £4k and use the other £6k to buy other bits and bobs and make ........£1k
    I guess this has an effect on ones credit rating, therefore if they are due to finance or refinance (i.e. mortgage), that could be affected?

You could also get a discount on a cash purchase, or just buy it cheaper on the grey market.

Either way, then you own it outright and don't have a debt obligation. The seemingly-free 0% interest option is always more costly. There's a reason that they only offer it on less-desirable items. ;)
    Not generally in the UK! Rolex ADs will seldom offer discounts for cash here so if 0% is an option then it's often the most cost effective way of buying it even if you have the cash to buy outright.

The way credit works here also means that you own the watch outright and the debt is against the person rather than the item. I know that this isn't always the case but it is by far the most common in the UK at least.

Er, me? From the Rolex Boutique in Leeds. I will do it again too. Does it make one a second class citizen?
    Last edited by jobseeker; 13th September 2017 at 09:45.

Keep inflating the bubble of pure consumerism, folks.

Can one be provided on request. What about a business buyer?