closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Skagen views?

Journeyman

Skagen views?

My mrs wants a watch/Dress watch, originally she wanted michael kors but i imagine them to be cheap and unreliable? i may be wrong. so after a bit of looking around i found a nice skagen watch but wanted people's opinion on the brand, it's pointless buying her something expensive as she won't wear it often or at all if it's really expensive as i found out with an expensive handbag i bought her 3 years ago used once. so your thoughts or recommendations please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    My partner wears a Skagen most days. Bought it for her a few years back, never had any issues with it in terms of timekeeping. She has scratched the glass a bit so they are perhaps not the most robust watches, but not bad. I like the brand, some of their styling is nice, plus she gets more compliments on her Skagen than any of my watches do!

Craftsman
    A family member has a couple. They fall into the cheap fashion watch bracket. Some of the styling is nice and they seem to have lasted a while. Much more subtle and less frequently seen that Michael Kors and the like, and probably a fraction of the cost.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by axb601 View Post
    My partner wears a Skagen most days. Bought it for her a few years back, never had any issues with it in terms of timekeeping. She has scratched the glass a bit so they are perhaps not the most robust watches, but not bad. I like the brand, some of their styling is nice, plus she gets more compliments on her Skagen than any of my watches do!

cheers, it will get little wear i imagine and she wants to go under the radar ie good brand but not in your face so i think this may fit the bill

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Progressive View Post
    A family member has a couple. They fall into the cheap fashion watch bracket. Some of the styling is nice and they seem to have lasted a while. Much more subtle and less frequently seen that Michael Kors and the like, and probably a fraction of the cost.
    that's exactly what she after ie subtle, i knew the name was entry level just wanted to make sure the quality was decent enough. thanks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My partner has worn one intermittently for yonks. Nice plain scandi styling and I don't think it's ever failed despite her absolute best efforts.

Master
    If she wants Michael Kors just get her Michael Kors. They're not cheap for what they are but they won't fall apart within a year either

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    If she wants Michael Kors just get her Michael Kors. They're not cheap for what they are but they won't fall apart within a year either
    that was my worry, i don't really have an issue with designer watches but it's just in my head that they have cheap mass produced rubbish inside. if they are solid and better than the skagen etc i don't mind going that route, i've just found a lovely looking rotary online that might be the one though. Decisions decisions

They will if you wear them.

They are utterly, utterly, crap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    They will if you wear them.

They are utterly, utterly, crap.
    Fortunately they're not to my taste so I don't wear them. My wife does and it's lasted her about 5 years so far. Her mum also has one and that's maybe two years old. Granted she doesn't wear it to work but it's not something I'd call badly made - compared to a Seiko of equal value but still reasonably put together

Journeyman
    now looking Rotary, Seiko, Skegan and maybe Citizen but a couple of the Rotary ones i've seen i really like and as above i'll have a look at the Mondain range, want it for my friends wedding next weekend

I did some minor work on a couple of Skaagen watches for a friend. This one needed a hand reattached after he dropped it:

Both of them contained Swiss movements and were (to my eye) attractively designed in a recognisable house style. Not all over the place like some fashion brands. Inexpensive, but seemed well enough made. Not the usual generic cases and bands. I was left with a positive impression.

Master
    Tissot are worth a look and Hamilton have a few smart ladies watches. Vostok have a ladies line up too if you want bomb proof!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I did some minor work on a couple of Skaagen watches for a friend. This one needed a hand reattached after he dropped it:

Both of them contained Swiss movements and were (to my eye) attractively designed in a recognisable house style. Not all over the place like some fashion brands. Inexpensive, but seemed well enough made. Not the usual generic cases and bands. I was left with a positive impression.
    that's great to know, i've just bought her a Rotary though now but good to know either way. thanks

Journeyman
    i've just bought her a Rotary online so hopefully she likes it. thanks for the feedback everyone.

Master
    It's also subtle enough to slip into your collection on occasion too. Crafty

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Tissot are worth a look and Hamilton have a few smart ladies watches. Vostok have a ladies line up too if you want bomb proof!
    i want a Hamilton myself that's next years watch to save for, that and a citizen for more daily but i'll get the citizen this year. i looked at tissot but read somewhere they weren't very good although i suppose it was one persons view. Will look at the Vostok line

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    They used to do a line called 'Black Label' that featured slightly better build quality and Swiss movements, probably what your friend has. The regular lineup used Seiko, and now Miyota.

Craftsman
    This

My Mrs wanted one and I got her one from the children about 3 years ago. Working well and looking how she wanted it to. She was delighted and she perceives it to be good and that's good enough.

Trying to convince them something is better made etc than their choice rarely works out. Don't stress. Save the research and obessing for your own purchases.

Master
    No point trying to push anything onto your wife she won't like plus it's your wallet that will take the hit.
    When buying my wife a watch I did Longine (think they do some of the nicest ladies watches), Omega and Tag. It was Tag all the way for the wife. She does however still like her Tissot so maybe go into somewhere like John Lewis who do Skagen then do an Ernest Jones or equivalent to do Tissot, Rotary , Korrs etc. I'm sure she'll then get the one she wants.

Horses for courses. If I bought my wife that rotary, she'd phone the bad taste doctor and book me an emergency appointment

Fossil makes Michael Kors watches and Fossil owns Skagen.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Fossil makes Michael Kors watches and Fossil owns Skagen.

So you could say under all that fancy designer logo and bling lies a reasonable watch? I think I read that Fossil are one of the biggest watch makers going?

So you could say under all that fancy designer logo and bling lies a reasonable watch? I think I read that Fossil are one of the biggest watch makers going?
    Yes they probably are by market share.

I don't think that there's much separating the entry level fashion watches.