closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first ever Rolex, I'm very pleased.

Master

My first ever Rolex, I'm very pleased.

Hi folks,

Probably a boring post this, but I just wanted to say that after a lot of saving, selling, stress (life has been...difficult over the last year), I now only own one watch. A Rolex Air-King.

This has been on the cards for a while but while I know the current Air-King is controversial I always loved the design when it was announced; I think the dial style borrows well from a motorsport/aeronautic aesthetic. Plus as a bonus, I'm teaching my son to tell time, so the mix of hour and minute is a help ;)

Anyway, because it was such a big purchase (this really is the most I could ever justify) I have been slowly saving the money - just eeked over the finishing line this month. But as this will be my last (and now only!) 'posh watch' I had decided I would be patient enough to find one at RRP (or, at least, not over).

Today wandering through town with my wife one was sat in an AD window. Went in, it still had all stickers...and my wife said "go for it".

I'm sure I'm just drinking the 'kool-aid' but it does seem a 'class above' other watches I have had. And while I have in the past aways been set on chronographs, or at least a timing bezel, but I find the simplicity of a three hand strangely liberating. Oh, it has the bracelet squeak! Finally, the lady that served me ensured they did not remove any of the protective stickers, and gave me both the hang tags.

Little else to add for now, but I am very pleased.

Now I just need to take the deep breath and remove the stickers (and grab a decent bracelet tool to make the clasp a little larger). Oh, I also need a good nights sleep - I found spending that much on a watch I have wanted since it was announced rather exhausting!

Last edited by redsox78; 13th September 2017 at 21:33.

I really like the bold styling of the new Air King. Congrats on a great find.

Master
    You bought a full-blooded Rolex, a member of the Oyster Perpetual clan, with all that entails. Great build, great design, huge durability. A watch that really can stay with you through life, and reward you with faithful performance.
    So. I think you got that right; it may have been an effort to get, but now it's yours. A reward you earned. And , I believe , a good choice.
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th September 2017 at 05:27.

Congrats-wear in good health. Saw an Airking in the cabinet at the AD when I picked up my BLNR last weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fabulous looking piece and a great choice. I know what you mean about the "exhaustion"

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done to you Red

For what it's worth I have always like the new Airking and have been tempted myself in th past.

Congratulations. I fondly remember saving hard to buy my first new Rolex from an AD.

May it last a very long time

I dunno - for me I think you made the right choice . The styling is bold - very funky by Rolex's fairly conservative style standards, so you will see less of them in the wild. Well done and the fact you had to work sweat and sell to get there will make the watch all the more special to you. Wear it in good health

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    ... I know the current Air-King is controversial I always loved the design when it was announced...

Good man, and a lesson to all; don't be a sheep - buy what you enjoy!!
    Personally I like it, quite quirky, not "traditional" Rolex but there is definitely something about it.

Enjoy it. And don't vanish from TZ now you're a one watch man!

Very nice indeed. I've always liked that the Rolex logo is in colour on these

Master
    Congratulations on a lovely watch. And you never forget your first time....

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    This Air-King is an amazing looking watch when seen in the flesh. The pics never do it justice.

Master
    Cheers folks, re: styling, thing is I have never really like Rolex styling, I know it's 'classic' but I have always found it a bit, err...dull...or when not dull a bitwell middle aged (I'm 40 next year, so I'd like to think I have a bit of time yet!).

I LOVE the classic divers of course, but my dad had a submariner so for all sorts of reasons I wanted something different. SO, when this new Air-King came out I thought it was a nice mix of classic, but a bit more modern - a bit more 'me' - but not so 'radical' that it will look dated. Also of course you never know whether some of the design queues might be a 'one and done' which makes it a watch I like but also quite collectable.

Oh, and having a 40mm watch without bits stuck to the outside - rider tabs, chrono pushers, fart vales - is amazing. I know there are lots of cheaper ways of getting that, but still.
    Last edited by redsox78; 13th September 2017 at 10:20.

What a nice refreshing post! I'm glad you got over the finish line, the journey makes it all the more special. [I had a similar wait of several years for my 1st Rolex in 2009, the Seadweller.]

I've wanted the Air King since it first came out - it's a bit different, a lovely splash of colour. Cheeky but classy at the same time.

Enjoy!

OP: given what you outlined in your post I think you've chosen the perfect Rolex.

Well done - and smile every time you look at it.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Nice watch, it fits really well on your wrists!
    Last edited by Allwatches; 17th September 2017 at 12:46.

Master
    Congrats Red, I like the look, it does have the bling but still a bit more tool like than a lot of modern Rolex. I think It'd still look good with a few scratches and wear too

Craftsman
    Said it before and I'll say it again - I think these look great! They're not front and centre Rolex but that's part of the charm to me! Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Great post, great choice... great watch!

If you ever pass it down to your Son he will remember being taught to tell the time on it - now that is priceless!

My first ever Rolex, I'm very pleased.

When it came out, I thought it was a dog's dinner in terms of design, even if it would no doubt adhere to the usual high standards of the institution... I'm definitely a lot more positive towards them now.

Whilst I'm not entirely sure it would be my choice of new Rolex, I think they're a really smart buy.

C. £1500 (!!!) less than a Milgauss, whilst retaining the case, movement, and iron shield of the same (IIRC). Smart, modern size, but not too big. Likewise, not so thick that it can't slip under a shirt cuff when wanted. An eye-catching, different design evolving the Bloodhound's instruments (when is that supposed to attempt the land speed record? It's been in the works some time...) with some rare-for-Rolex colour on the dial.

I am interested to see where they take the collection after restarting it, more dials probably, any more sizes? Anything between 34 and 38mm would be good for those with more modest wrists. I think it should/will develop into their more youthful 'starter' sports Rolex range, in keeping with the lofty tradition started by those in the RAF who chose Air-Kings, Air-Giants, Air-Tigers, and Air-Lions to accompany them on their travails.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Dark Side of The Loon; 13th September 2017 at 15:01.

The third hand is the second hand

Congratulations on your puchase!

Id recommend watching Dave Allens 'telling the time' on youtube.

Congratulations and nice to see a less obvious choice of 1st Rolex. Vive la difference.

I like the term 'Bold' styling used here by a few members. It's like when your mate brings a new bird to the pub and you can't quite find the words to describe her... Err yes mate, she's umm, bold looking?.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    C. £1500 (!!!) less than a Milgauss, whilst retaining the case, movement, and iron shield of the same (IIRC).
    Looked at the Milgauss, coudn't see £1500 more in it, maybe something provides more anti-magnetic shielding, but they do both have the same movement, and the Air King does have a Faraday cage as well; the Rolex page for both watches uses the wording "with a magnetic shield to protect the movement."

What I did find odd about the £1500 extra was they still didn't fit the Milgauss with the Oysterlock; both the Milgauss and Air-King are Oysterclasp. On the other hand the Explorer for £250 more than the Air-King does get the Oysterlock, which seems perfectly justified.

So, like I said, I didn't see the £1500 extra at all in the Milgauss (though no doubt there is something - and the crystal remains very cool). Still, if I was umming and ahhring it would be between the Explorer and Air-King. I know WIS should go Explorer, but like I said I preferred the more different Air-King. As a bonus, both Rolex Ad's across from each other (and another second hand Rolex stockist) had the two variations of Milgauss in stock, but the only Air-King was this one.

It's all horses for courses, if someone had said "because we cannot get an Air-King we'll let you have a Milgauss instead!" I'd not have said "no thank you"...I'm not mental

But even the used Milgauss in one Ad was £5300; thats the sofa we need!

Master
    I'd love to own a Rolex DSSD but really like the look of that as it's a but different to the norm. Congrats on saving, selling etc, to me it makes the watch that little bit more special.

Journeyman
    Red, looks fantastic and congratulations on your purchase. Having saved for years I also bought my first Rolex this week and it certainly was an experience; from walking into the AD, trying on the watch, paying for it, then realise that's it, it's done. Thanks to a great supportive wife who's encouraged me right from the beginning.

Journeyman
    Oh and thanks to all the forum members who have helped me along the way as well

Grand Master
    No such thing as a cheap Rolex, but the models at the lower end of the price range are the most appealing in my view. Classic Oyster style, can`t go wrong. It's a great feeling when you've saved up for an item, beats buying on credit every time.

Enjoy!

Paul

Craftsman
    To echo the other posts, what a nice story of someone setting a goal, striving for it, and then actually achieving it!

And a nice thought that if it eventually passes to your son, it has the story that he learnt to tell the time on it!

Congratulations, and I hope you have many years of pleasure owning and looking at it.

Congratulations. I know what it's like to save long and hard for your first Rolex. I went for a Sub and remembering the process, makes such a watch even more special. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come.

Apprentice
    I'm never tired of reading "First Rolex" posts. Congratulations on a great and bold watch. The new Air King is a fascinating design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fabulous watch - looks real quality, congratulations.

Craftsman
    As someone who also bought an Air King - albeit the 114200 - I very much know that feeling when you sat there wondering if you could spend all that money on a watch.
    5 years on and it is still special to me when I put on mine.

I can't profess to like the current design, but it would be a bloody boring world if you all like the same as me.

So I say this hand on heart - enjoy living with your new Air King and peeking up your sleeve every hour at something which means so much more to you than the money it cost.

Blog Entries
    Great watch really like the Air King it looks better in real life than pictures for me. I'd buy it just for the Air King script on the dial it harks back to earlier times for me. As already mentioned what a watch to hand on to your son. I think I can tell you're just a bit pleased and you should be!
    Ian

Congrats, picked mine up about 3 weeks ago and love it. Especially like the green Rolex and second hand.

A really nice post, congratulations on your purchase .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I'd buy it just for the Air King script on the dial it harks back to earlier times for me.
    Ian
    BIG reason I like it, I love the air-King script, for the same reason I like it when Omega use the old Speedmaster 'r' with the long tail.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    To echo the other posts, what a nice story of someone setting a goal, striving for it, and then actually achieving it!

And a nice thought that if it eventually passes to your son, it has the story that he learnt to tell the time on it!

Congratulations, and I hope you have many years of pleasure owning and looking at it.
    Seems spot on to me.
    Enjoy - you've earned it.

Craftsman
    paskinner sums it up very well

Well done and congrats on saving hard, far too easy to go credit. I'm hopefully not that far behind you in buying my first Rolex and have been saving hard but I need to flip some watches first..

Craftsman
    Many congratulations! It is an elegant looking watch :) Can we see some more pics, please?

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Looked at the Milgauss, coudn't see £1500 more in it, maybe something provides more anti-magnetic shielding, but they do both have the same movement, and the Air King does have a Faraday cage as well; the Rolex page for both watches uses the wording "with a magnetic shield to protect the movement."

What I did find odd about the £1500 extra was they still didn't fit the Milgauss with the Oysterlock; both the Milgauss and Air-King are Oysterclasp. On the other hand the Explorer for £250 more than the Air-King does get the Oysterlock, which seems perfectly justified.
    Definitely can't see £1500 extra in the Milgauss, though, if that's what you want (and you want a new one from an AD), that's what it will cost.

I think they like to keep the Oysterlock for the out-and-out sports models, though, IMO, that should cover the Air-King... both AK and MG have the Easylink extension, which is what I think sets those bracelets apart from regular bracelets.

Master
    Great buy that is.
    As others have said these in the flesh are great looking watches and are the perfect size.
    That and the explorer are great everyday anything anytime watches.
    Enjoy it.

Master
    Now I just need to take the deep breath and remove the stickers
    what......? they left the stickers on?

Nice watch - wear it in good health.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by K300 View Post
    what......? they left the stickers on?
    Yep, lug sides, back, bracelet, clasp inside and out. I think they realised that I wasn't going to sell it on. The person who served me said *quietly* "I don't think the worries about what happens if the stickers are left on apply here...enjoy removing them at home!".

Ill get some more pics, but I seem to have a habit of taking ones where the serial is really obvious lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    I think they like to keep the Oysterlock for the out-and-out sports models
    You're likely right, it not being on the Air-King I had assumed was because price...but to not have it on the Milgauss does suggest it's about 'classification' as well.

Still don't have much to add, I'll see how timekeeping goes over a week, finger crossed! Regardless, all stickers...have been removed!

Master
    Congrats - and it's good to see the ensuing love for the Air-King. I've always really liked it; as others have said, it's quite funky given Rolex's design conservatism, but without the (for me) silliness of the Milguass lightning hand. Even the numbering seems very intuitive to me. I'd love one.

This is one of those watches that looks good in pictures, but great in reality.
    Congratulations, enjoy your time with it.

Congratulations. Loving mine

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    I think this is a fantastic looking watch and a future classic. Enjoy!