closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So far impressed with the newer way Omega UK does servicing.

Master

So far impressed with the newer way Omega UK does servicing.

I have been consistent in my moaning about Omega UK servicing in the past because of a couple of bad experiences. I might have reason to do the same in the future when my watch currently being serviced by them comes back to me...but having sent my (now only) watch to them last Thursday, I have been v. impressed so far. ...

1. Unlike previous times I sent Omega's to southampton - last time about three six years ago and meant packaging them up myself, paying for RMSD myself - they now send you in advance a watch travel case, box and prepaid RMSD bag which is nice (course, they charge you £12 to get it back in the end...but at least it's a fair charge and only one way!).
    2. Then, I found out about the Customer Infomation System (I know...it's not news!). But knowing it had arrived and I could see the status online was nice.
    3. I logged in yesterday to see initital assessment had been done, and the quote for the extra bit I wanted was added as well. So, I confirmed on their online CIS system that i wanted everything doing, and...
    4. ...This morning unexpectedly I got a call from them acknowledging they got my confirmation and they predict a six-week turnaround.

As I said...it could go pear shaped, but so far it's been impressive.

Now all I have to do is get through six weeks (or likely more!) waiting for my Gen 2 x-33 to have its overhall (full refinishing - fortunately no case dinks so should be nice - inc new bezel, crystal, movement, dial, pushers, hands, caseback screws...!). It'll be more or less a new X-33 Gen 2 and I can't bloody wait

Journeyman
    This is just a beginning.

Expect
    - over polished titanium with potential scratches. As an example, I picked refinished bracelet with two nasty ones.
    - scratched case back screws
    At least you get new quartz module :)

They only follow procedure and their system. Wait for the effects of their work. It is not so impressive. My watch went back 2 times and they replaced whole case at their cost.

Tag Heuer offer similar facilities, RMSD, box, customer information web site.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    I have been consistent in my moaning about Omega UK servicing in the past because of a couple of bad experiences. I might have reason to do the same in the future when my watch currently being serviced by them comes back to me...but having sent my (now only) watch to them last Thursday, I have been v. impressed so far. ...

1. Unlike previous times I sent Omega's to southampton - last time about three six years ago and meant packaging them up myself, paying for RMSD myself - they now send you in advance a watch travel case, box and prepaid RMSD bag which is nice (course, they charge you £12 to get it back in the end...but at least it's a fair charge and only one way!).
    2. Then, I found out about the Customer Infomation System (I know...it's not news!). But knowing it had arrived and I could see the status online was nice.
    3. I logged in yesterday to see initital assessment had been done, and the quote for the extra bit I wanted was added as well. So, I confirmed on their online CIS system that i wanted everything doing, and...
    4. ...This morning unexpectedly I got a call from them acknowledging they got my confirmation and they predict a six-week turnaround.

As I said...it could go pear shaped, but so far it's been impressive.

Now all I have to do is get through six weeks (or likely more!) waiting for my Gen 2 x-33 to have its overhall (full refinishing - fortunately no case dinks so should be nice - inc new bezel, crystal, movement, dial, pushers, hands, caseback screws...!). It'll be more or less a new X-33 Gen 2 and I can't bloody wait
    How much do they charge?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Timelord View Post
    How much do they charge?
    https://www.omegawatches.com/custome...ervice-prices/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    This is just a beginning.

Expect
    - over polished titanium with potential scratches. As an example, I picked refinished bracelet with two nasty ones.
    - scratched case back screws
    At least you get new quartz module :)

They only follow procedure and their system. Wait for the effects of their work. It is not so impressive. My watch went back 2 times and they replaced whole case at their cost.
    X-33 ti is brushed, so I'll take my chances. But, thank you kind sir for the words of encourgament.

Anyway, if they eff it up I'll keep fighting them. If it means a new case...result for me (seems a decent outcome, bar the wait and fuss). If I can get an entirely new case out of them, I might like a bit of a screw up.

At the moment I'd like to spend some time thinking positively and I'll report back when it is done. Still, any more cheery stories you have about not my watch don't hold back!

Master

Cost folks? Depends what you are asking for. The service inc refinish, hands, pushers, crown, caseback screws and movement (I believe they always swap out the X-33 module) was charged £450.

I asked for a new crystal, bezel and caseback, which they are charging a total of £485.09 for on top. I asked because the Gen 2 is my 'grail' and given how much the Gen 3 and nearly new Gen 2's are, I thought it was worth it. A new case was...not worth it but at the same time, as I said, I had managed to find one on bracelet without any dinks at all on the case, so it should come back v.nice (bar stateless' point it will come back looking crap, obviously).
    Last edited by redsox78; 14th January 2017 at 01:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    Tag Heuer offer similar facilities, RMSD, box, customer information web site.
    Yes, before Omega I think? Do UK Hublots and Zenith's also go to Worsley?
    Last edited by redsox78; 14th January 2017 at 01:05.

Master
    Forgot to add, not sure if I am a bit dense, but it wasn't as easy in the past to find the Omega UK service number; the website kept pushing me to the Trafford Centre boutique but I don't like sending via shops (the TC Omega Boutique is just Ernest Jones).

But, I found the number, rang 'em, and they sent me the stuff to post it in. The direct number is: 02380646850, but they called me today from 08458990086 and the address they use is:
    SG UK CS Southampton
    Po Box 1642
    SO15 9AZ

Master
    Prompted by the thread that is veering off into another Rolex vs. others discussion (well..it IS TZ-UK), I completely forgot to update this thread.

Well, the update is that I sold it when it came back. But that's not the real story.

The experience that started as "so far impressed' actually became the single worse experience of ownings omething nice...ever. The only way I could imagine it was worse is if one got really nice watch it is stolen. Thats how it felt. Why?

Well after waiting three months for a £960 overhaul; to include new crystal, bezel, and complete refinishing (my wording was "do what you need to get it as new"), I was shocked how it came back.

- More scratched than it was sent. Including...
    - three dings to the new crown.
    - The bezel was new, but they also managed to ding that.
    - More scratches on the case-back than it was sent with (important cos of the inscription given it was a Gen 2). And the best bit...
    - The crystal - with worn AR - was not replaced. Instead loose in the travel case (I assume causing the dings) was an extra (new?) crystal!! I knew it was new because it was one side AR.

After detailing all this, and sending back again, and waiting two weeks for a response, Omega claimed they could not actually refinish Ti (which is BS!), but they would - if I want - send it to Bienne.

They did that and in the end - after another two months - it came back as new. Only seven months after sending it.

So, whilst this is only me and I was probably unlucky, as much as I like a few of the models a LOT, I won't own another Omega.

Blog Entries
    I had the opposite experience with my X-33 gen2 when it went for service a while back. I don't know how statistically significant these cases are - shame there are bad service cases anyway - never easy. Martyn.

Master
    Which is just one of the reasons that I really don't want Omega servicing to be entirely an Omega preserve. The cost isn't the main thing; I want to know the person working on my watch, and to be able to trust that they won't damage it.

It's not just Omega; I've had rubbish service from Rolex on more than one occasion and had the indignity of paying an extortionate amount for the privilege.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I had the opposite experience with my X-33 gen2 when it went for service a while back. I don't know how statistically significant these cases are - shame there are bad service cases anyway - never easy. Martyn.
    I don't doubt this at all, or that my cases are exceptional. But they are cases (plural) as with my last three Omega's I received poor services from Southampton (though the X-33 was really bad, the others just unsatisfactory). I am not suggesting it's typical, but I think being burned three times is enough to let it be :)

That's what happens when a once-great watchmaker is owned by a greedy conglomerate that is more concerned with short-term trends and quarterly profits than investing in the long haul, unfortunately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    That's what happens when a once-great watchmaker is owned by a greedy conglomerate that is more concerned with short-term trends and quarterly profits than investing in the long haul, unfortunately.
    Well, I was a bit cheesed off that when it came came back as a mess, it did so in a Certina service pouch! Surely you don't want to admit your conglomerate trappings

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Well, I was a bit cheesed off that when it came came back as a mess, it did so in a Certina service pouch! Surely you don't want to admit your conglomerate trappings
    It's a shame to see what Swatch Group's bean counters have done to them.

In the lean years, perhaps understandable, but to cheap out on the essentials after a sustained and highly-profitable boom is just plain avaricious.

Craftsman
    I added similar to another thread this week, but perhaps worth saying again. I've had a full restoration service plus some damage repair carried out by them in the last year and both times I've been very impressed.

Great service, good systems and polite sensible staff. The end product for me was a basically as new watch. I really couldn't fault it and I'm a picky so and so.

Price is the price. Not cheap, but I didn't think completely unreasonable.

Craftsman
    It seems like an expensive lottery and I am wondering where to send my really great condition Seamaster 2254.50 which only needs a service.

Independent or Omega? I think I am leaning towards finding an independent with recommendations...

Craftsman
    Mines a 2254.50. They did a great job of it. Refinished the bracelet and many parts replaced internally as well as the crown and helium valve all genuine of course. It is properly mint now, though it was never bad as I've always looked after it pretty well.

As said I'm impressed with them and would entrust them again.