closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch Shopping India - New Delhi.

Apprentice

Watch Shopping India - New Delhi.

Going to visit India in Decemeber and noted that there seems to be a boyant market for classic watches there.
    I like the Omega Bumper model (circa 1950s - 1960s) and these seem cheap in India.

Has anyone bought in India? Anywhere in particular to visit?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Amon View Post
    Going to visit India in Decemeber and noted that there seems to be a boyant market for classic watches there.
    I like the Omega Bumper model (circa 1950s - 1960s) and these seem cheap in India.

Has anyone bought in India? Anywhere in particular to visit?
    Take some asbestos gloves. IMHO much of the stuff from India is Franken at best.

z

Enjoy what £10 can buy you but don't expect it to last or be original, that way you won't be disappointed. Anything more than that is money down the drain.

I think you need to set your expectations at an appropriately low level and be particularly sceptical about anything Swiss; it's likely to be franken, knackered or over-priced or a combination of all three. I had a similar dilemma and this thread tells the story:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...Now-with-pics!

I still have the Jawan and I'm very happy with it (though it needs a service). I'd definitely recommend a trip to the Sikh guy in the Tibetan Market (where are you staying BTW?).

The other relevant thread is from one of our other old India hands and relates to a HMT showroom in Connaught Place.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?320706-HMT

Imagine being able to walk into a watch shop and being able to afford anything they have in stock .

Apprentice
    Thanks all. I think i will give it a miss. It sounds way too risky, especially taking time out of a holiday to go and find a watch. I will enjoy the sights, pool and Imodium tablets instead

Thanks!

I visited Omega AD in Chandigarh and asked for a price on the moonwatch. The staff member said this one? No the moonwatch. This one? No the... oh it's ok I'll back later.

The Rolex AD on the other hand was very knowledgeable with very good prices at approx 15% off from memory on an Explorer. There was even a steel Daytona - the first I had seen. The prices now possibly not as keen with the exchange rate as it is.

If you visit a cashpoint, do not be alarmed at someone looking over your shoulder or even standing at your side. Privacy does not seem to exist.