closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This might be it, am I home now?

The Royal Oak is a personal fantasy of mine.

Master
    You're clearly a man who knows what he likes. I think I'd prefer at least one with slightly less delicate finishing and cheaper servicing, but nobody can say you don't have a great collection.

Master
    Please sir, can we see some more?

Master
    Blog Entries
    3 stunning watches. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Please sir, can we see some more?

Don't get me started :

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Master
    Glorious. Complete and utter perfection

Master
    ^^
    Proof that the Vacheron is the true sports watch of the trio – best lume, best looking dial, best bracelet design, and designed to be used rather than pampered (albeit maybe not quite to the same degree as a typical Rolex).

I'm sorry I know people get annoyed when someone quotes and re-posts a pic, but I can't help it:

This is just stunning... I had to.... sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Amazing trio indeed

Craftsman
    Clearly they are 3 absolute works or art.... However I can't help thinking they're all a touch similar and a bit more variety would be nice as a 4th?!?

Craftsman
    Clearly they are 3 absolute works or art.... However I can't help thinking they're all a touch similar and a bit more variety would be nice as a 4th?!?

Craftsman
    (Apologies for the double up - clearly got trigger happy)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I think the perfect trio for me would be the Corr's ... Starting with the fiddle player!
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I am very jealous! Very nice indeed :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    It doesn't always have to be about variety, there's also something to be said for focus and knowing what you like. If you happen to like 70s Genta and later Genta influenced sportwatches and that's your personal style, this collection is perfect just the way it is - it has an excellent variety of those. I might choose to mix it up, but I can completely appreciate why the OP doesn't want to.

Fantastic trio
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Very nice, however I think you may want to compliment the trio with a diver ;) You know, glorious four?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    What fourth watch would fit with this superb set? Let's just say you have this threesome yourself, how would you enhance it? Would a Sub cut the mustard?

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Very nice, however I think you may want to compliment the trio with a diver ;) You know, glorious four?
    Wouldn't the most natural direction for expanding this trio be this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Wouldn't the most natural direction for expanding this trio be this?
    Or this...

Would be great with a nice Genta diver.. or a Hysek diver for that matter. But, there isn't any :(

If I would buy myself a diver right now, it would be the 116619, it's awsome in it's own way.

(The Overseas, 150m wr, will do for water games with my kids for now)

OR I should just go real crazy and buy the new GP Laureato for some diversity :)

Picture credit ABTW

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    What fourth watch would fit with this superb set? Let's just say you have this threesome yourself, how would you enhance it? Would a Sub cut the mustard?
    A Sub? Good God no!
    Needs to be something befitting and also belonging to the Haute Horlogerie fraternity – so that means a Girard–Perregaux Sea Hawk, Ulysse Nardin Marine, Chopard LUC Pro One, or Blancpain Fifty Fathoms/Bathyscaphe.
    Based on movement used, the latter two would be the prime contenders, with the GP and UN following in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Or this...

If I was going to repeat a brand, I would have gone for this version 😆

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwind View Post
    OR I should just go real crazy and buy the new GP Laureato for some diversity :)
    True diversity…seeing as you’ve no RG or Titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    True diversity…seeing as you’ve no RG or Titanium.

Thats a looker

Journeyman
    All very nice, but that PP ;-)

A nice Jaeger could fit in well as number 4.

Master
    Thats a looker
    It sure is!
    The darker hue of Titanium plays very well against Rose Gold, and looks a touch nicer than the more stark pairing of DLC coating or ceramic, and Rose Gold.

Master

This might be it, am I home now?

Picture credit ABTW

I keep looking at versions of this watch and trying to like it. In theory it's a (relatively) more affordable alternative to the watches in your collection, and I love the fact that it's available in a good range of sizes. The dial is also great with its little pyramids. And yet... The date font is too twee, and the bezel makes me think RO, but not quite as nice. The head (and the odd picture) says it's tempting, but the heart keeps saying no. Probably I'm just hoping it will magically turn into a 15202ST.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Or this...

Now that's a grail.

Fabulous 3 OP.

Many many years with buying, selling, trying... etc. I think I've found the perfect tripple for me.

So, what do you think??

And no, I didn't scratch them.. I have a very gentle touch :)

Cheers

Fantastic collection , think my favourite out of the 3 is the AP class watch , have still to see one in the wild not to common , cheers and great post

Master
    Well, as I’m sure the OP is aware, it’s pretty difficult to disagree with the selection. The high priests of haute horologie have opined that the Holy Trinity are of undisputable quality and the OP has chosen iconic models from each. Leaving aside that they all look pretty similar, especially the early 70’s Genta vibe rocking PP and AP, I can’t help but think, with all due respect to the OP and, genuinely, with no intent to offend:

C’mon, man! Are these really the watches that spin your wheels? There’s what, 30+k’s worth of watches there? You could have an awful lot of fun with that!!! You could fly first class to Seiko’s Micro Studio in Japan and have them hand paint a dial of you in flagrante with your favourite Hollywood actress. Alternatively, you could get the esteemed Herr Hornblüth to pimp one of his watches beyond all recognition. You get my drift. This strikes me as the upmarket version of a Rolex Sub / Omega Speedmaster / TAG Monaco trio.

Of course, fair enough, if, after all due consideration, you’ve decided these really are the 3 for you then good luck and enjoy them in the very best of health. But I can’t help feeling this is the collection of someone being defined by others’ tastes rather than their own.

This might be it, am I home now?

Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post
    Well, as I’m sure the OP is aware, it’s pretty difficult to disagree with the selection. The high priests of haute horologie have opined that the Holy Trinity are of undisputable quality and the OP has chosen iconic models from each. Leaving aside that they all look pretty similar, especially the early 70’s Genta vibe rocking PP and AP, I can’t help but think, with all due respect to the OP and, genuinely, with no intent to offend:

C’mon, man! Are these really the watches that spin your wheels? There’s what, 30+k’s worth of watches there? You could have an awful lot of fun with that!!! You could fly first class to Seiko’s Micro Studio in Japan and have them hand paint a dial of you in flagrante with your favourite Hollywood actress. Alternatively, you could get the esteemed Herr Hornblüth to pimp one of his watches beyond all recognition. You get my drift. This strikes me as the upmarket version of a Rolex Sub / Omega Speedmaster / TAG Monaco trio.

Of course, fair enough, if, after all due consideration, you’ve decided these really are the 3 for you then good luck and enjoy them in the very best of health. But I can’t help feeling this is the collection of someone being defined by others’ tastes rather than their own.
    Well, since there is some value in my watches, ofcource there is a lot that could be done instead.
    BUT, when it comes to watches.. I've been through 100-150 different ones the last couple of years, and this is what I ended up with.

The 5712, it's the most comfy watch there is. I love the moon phase and the rather "messy" dial
    The 15202, well, it's not as comfy as the Nautilus.. but offer more "beauty". Mini tapisserie with the clean look is just unbeatable.
    The 47040.. this is the outsider. White dial, more sturdy, better WR etc. Bracelet might be the best out there.

I've chosen these watches very carefully, my choice, tried them more than once.. own each modell at least twice before.

And btw, I'm still able to fly first class to Japan and have a customised dial done ;) (but whats the point, probably wouldn't wear any other watch anyway)

(I'd guess they are more like 50k-ish worth :) )
    Last edited by Erwind; 20th September 2017 at 18:33.

Master
    Good stuff!

Btw, I am in awe of both the level and frequency of your watch flipping!

Master
    I've found my new idol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ColDaspin View Post

Your suggestions seem to be defined by your taste rather than the OP's! ;-) Whenever Genta sports watches come up, there are a few posts from people who just don't get them, and there are quite a few here asking if they aren't a bit, well, similar? But the fact is, these watches are sought after because they have a very particular style, and if that's the style you like then these are the ones you want. Your implication seems to be that people like them just because other people like them, and so they think they are supposed to like them too, but they can't really like them. Or else, perhaps they crave them because they are famously expensive, which annoyingly they are. But there really are people who like them because they are unique and nothing really compares, if that is you like this sort of thing - which of course not everyone does, and they are welcome not to.

I also have a 'thing' for integrated bracelet watches, and frankly, there are few that make the grade. Apart from these, I'd say the Oysterquartz, and certainly the 222. Piaget and GP are trying, but it's clear which you'd choose, given that choice. The Ingenieur was always the ugly sister and there are a few 70s variations on the theme which don't really compare in terms of style or quality. But otherwise, this is where that road leads. It's a pity they are so unattainable for the majority of us, but I guess that's part of what they are in the end. In any case, I see no need to convince the OP to want something else!