closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crown assembly issue

Master

Crown assembly issue

I have just completed a fully refurb of a very nice Hamilton Khaki auto. My issue is that when I put the crown assembly back in the movement stops and the crown will not pull back out. Atm moment the crown is out and the watch is running.

Master
    Hi Jon,

I'm no pro mate but this happened to a Fortis Flieger of mine some years ago. One of the chaps on here said the keyless works needed resetting.

This may help...

http://kronometric.org/article/eta/e...less_assy.html

http://www.timezone.com/2002/09/16/the-keyless-works/

My guess is you pulled out the crown in the winding position, which works for Miyota, DG, etc. However with most ETA movements 2824, 7750, etc. you need to pull the crown in 2nd (time setting) position.

Long story short, I think one of wheels will be out of position which makes it impossible to clutch the stem back in correctly. You'll have to remove the hands and dial and set them again.

Grand Master
    Replacing the stem on some watches can cause the yoke to disengage from the sliding pinion (clutch). ETA 2824 is prone to this, the watch has to be in handset to minimise risk of this happening and the stem has to be inserted carefully with gentle twisting too. It is possible to fix this condition from the movement side by taking the barrel bridge off, but it's fiddly to do.

Worst watch I've come across for this problem is the Omega 1481 (Tissot 2460), the Tissot 784 I've just serviced is similar and care is needed to avoid this problem.

My advice is to develop the skills and get the necessary tools to be able to prtially strip the movement to be able to rectify this problem should it occur. Once you start taking movements out of cases you're always running the risk of this happening, you need a 'get out of jail' strategy to sort it out.

If it's any consolation it haappens (ocassionally) to the best of us. If I take an unfamiliar movement apart I try to work out the best position for replacing the stem.........some need to be in handset whilst others don't!

Paul

Master
    Thanks for all your input guys. I eventually got the watch sorted by a watch maker with far more patients and skill than me. The watch is now running like a train.

Note to self " If it's not broken, why mend it ". I guess my watch OCD got in the way.