• SD50

58 50.43%
  • Deep Blue

57 49.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 126600 SD50 vs. 116660 DeepBlue

Master

126600 SD50 vs. 116660 DeepBlue

I already have quite a few older subs/gmts, but I'm really taken by both the SD50 and DeepBlue and looking at either as a long term keeper alongside my other (and older) Subs/GMTs. Any of the vintage red text subs have clearly retained a strong following, but will that be true of the SD50 which is more of a modern day homage? I also like the graduated blue of the DeepBlue as it is unique for any Rolex. Given the choice to add to a collection of only ally-bezelled Rolexes, what is the general consensus around them and thoughts here? Would be interested in anyone who has had both and could share their feedback too -

Also other issues like, 3235 vs 3135; "Ring Lock", size/wearability etc

Last edited by spareparts; 9th September 2017 at 00:59.

Craftsman
    I'm not sure I could choose between the two, both lovely watches. I'd be inclined to try and get on a waiting list for both and see which turns up first, let fate decide !

I have a Deepsea black. And I can recommend any Deepsea. The black represents great value for a multitude of unique features. I personally tip the Deepsea as a good Watch for the future. The blue dial is like the Deepsea equivalent of a sublv.

I am always amazed how many people are surprised that this is a rolex model as it is so big and noticeable. Given that a lot of people love a big and chunky watch, I think they will be popular in the future.

Master
    The vintage models are lovely, restrained and unobtrusive. The new models you mention are neither of those things, quite the opposite. They are, of course, very popular.....you can see them from across a crowded room. But, as always, personal choice is all.
    If going down the modern route, I would choose the modestly sized Daytona. I'm a bit cautious about some of the latest models....but Rolex will know their target market.
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th September 2017 at 12:08.

If you're going for the chunky-diver thing, the new Sea-Dweller just looks and wears better than the bulbous Deepsea, and is much preferable as an long-term or everyday watch. Although I do have a 116660, I prefer every single thing about the 126600 except the clasp.

I wouldn't expect either to be anywhere near as collectible as collectible as the original red Submariner or Sea-Dweller models, though.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    If you're going for the chunky-diver thing, the new Sea-Dweller just looks and wears better than the bulbous Deepsea, and is much preferable as an long-term or everyday watch. Although I do have a 116660, I prefer every single thing about the 126600 except the clasp.

I wouldn't expect either to be anywhere near as collectible as collectible as the original red Submariner or Sea-Dweller models, though.
    Agree with this. I've just shifted a dblue. Absolutely loved it but switching between it and comparably sized "thinner" watches made me really aware of the height.

My mate has a 126600 which I've tried and had a play with. The sizing and particularly case to bracelet ratio and all-round comfort is streets ahead of the dssd.

I'd go sd50.

Craftsman
    Just my opinion:

The Deepsea's dial is too cluttered with seven lines of text and then there is the extra wording of "Original gas escape valve" & "ring lock system".... does a Rolex or any watch need all that information written on the front side? Oh and the dial tends to look small in comparison to the case.

The Sea-dewellar has a FAR better looking dial, fits the proportions of the case rather well and the overall look is only let down by the hideous cyclops.

^
    Nah, fixing that missing-Cyclops defect is the best part about the new SD. :)

Master
    I often wear my DSSD all day long and find it comfortable and unobtrusive. It does have quite a heft to it, but not hugely more than the sd50. I briefly tried on the sd50 in an AD and did love it, hope that mine arrives soon. I plan to keep both so I would have to call it a draw. Score draw of course 😁😁

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My vote goes to the deep blue - can't stop wearing mine. Love the ring lock chapter ring and the separation it provides between the dial and bezel: love the colour graduation, and don't feel any issue with the bracelet.
    To me, the SD now just looks like a larger Sub

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The sizing and particularly case to bracelet ratio and all-round comfort is streets ahead of the dssd. I'd go sd50.
    Agree with this. It is extraordinarily comfortable for its size.

Grand Master
    I am in a fortunate and arguably informed position in that I deal with them professionally and also have owned and often wear those mentioned.

Without doubt and after hundreds on the wrist I always maintain that the deepsea is tight up there be the DBlue is wonderful and would always be in my top 3 ever.

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    The vintage models are lovely, restrained and unobtrusive. The new models you mention are neither of those things, quite the opposite. They are, of course, very popular.....you can see them from across a crowded room. But, as always, personal choice is all.
    If going down the modern route, I would choose the modestly sized Daytona. I'm a bit cautious about some of the latest models....but Rolex will know their target market.
    I have hesitated against any of the ceramachrome Rolexes until now for exactly what you mention - the bling factor always put me off my interpretation of Rolexes being a gentrified tool watch first and foremost.

What is the issue with the 126600 clasp?

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    Just my opinion:

The Deepsea's dial is too cluttered with seven lines of text and then there is the extra wording of "Original gas escape valve" & "ring lock system".... does a Rolex or any watch need all that information written on the front side? Oh and the dial tends to look small in comparison to the case.

The Sea-dewellar has a FAR better looking dial, fits the proportions of the case rather well and the overall look is only let down by the hideous cyclops.
    You are right - it is cluttered compared to other Rolexes, but at the same time it just shouts about all the technical superlatives imho.

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    My vote goes to the deep blue - can't stop wearing mine. Love the ring lock chapter ring and the separation it provides between the dial and bezel: love the colour graduation, and don't feel any issue with the bracelet.
    To me, the SD now just looks like a larger Sub
    The colour graduation really draws me. As I get older, I prefer watches to be a bit more colourful - maybe why I still love my Pepsi the most (also being my son's birth year although he doesn't know that). But I cannot think of another 'high end' watch that has as colourful a dial as the DBlue. And you're not wrong about the SD50... in fact, I'm considering selling my 16600 if I go the route of the SD50...

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I am in a fortunate and arguably informed position in that I deal with them professionally and also have owned and often wear those mentioned.

Without doubt and after hundreds on the wrist I always maintain that the deepsea is tight up there be the DBlue is wonderful and would always be in my top 3 ever.

Do you think the SD50 premiums will come down?

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    What is the issue with the 126600 clasp?
    No issue whatsoever; it's fantastic.

It's just that the 116660's is better yet:

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's the best one on the market, period. I'd have loved to have seen it on this Sea-Dweller and the previous one to help justify the premium over the Submariner, but it seems that Rolex is keeping the component exclusive to the Deepsea.

No contest for me....the DSSD (and especially as the Deep Blue) is superior piece to the SD50th in pretty much every area......only caveat being that it (the DSSD) takes a decent amount of wrist time to "get it"

Master
    No issue whatsoever; it's fantastic.

It's just that the 116660's is better yet:

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's the best one on the market, period. I'd have loved to have seen it on this Sea-Dweller and the previous one to help justify the premium over the Submariner, but it seems that Rolex is keeping the component exclusive to the Deepsea.
    Thanks, I have yet to see an SD50 in the metal so I wasn't aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    No contest for me....the DSSD (and especially as the Deep Blue) is superior piece to the SD50th in pretty much every area......only caveat being that it (the DSSD) takes a decent amount of wrist time to "get it"
    People talk about the SD50 being a limited edition etc, but the DBlue certainly looks more like a LE to me than any other Rolex.

I'm not so sure about that; the Sea-Dweller's depth rating is already over double the deepest any human has gone, so the thicker watch's extra 2680 m worth of pressure resistance is meaningless, and I see nothing that's objectively superior about the Deepsea other than the clasp.

For me, the SD is simply the better-looking and more wearable of the two, and that counts for a lot.

Craftsman
    I agree with the above, I managed to get one and wore it all last weekend the face colour blue to black changes in different light. And I don't know it I could get on with the cyclops but if anyone has one to lend I'd give it a go.

Craftsman
    both stunning but sd50 IMO looks better with the total black dial

I'm not so sure about that; the Sea-Dweller's depth rating is already over double the deepest any human has gone, so the thicker watch's extra 2680 m worth of pressure resistance is meaningless, and I see nothing that's objectively superior about the Deepsea other than the clasp.

For me, the SD is simply the better-looking and more wearable of the two, and that counts for a lot.

What are you not sure about? Interested to hear which of the two you have yourself as I have both and know which is the superior Rolex for daily wear in my humble opinion - and it's nothing to do with depth ratings!!

Grand Master
    Let’s face it the average UK male gets to go knee or waist high in any ocean they venture into. !

The DSSD can go deep. Indeed it can stand close to 3T of pressure but that equates more the daily taps rather than actual diving.

I’ll respect your opinion more if you tell me you’ve worn both for an extended period rather than assumed.

RIAC

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    What are you not sure about? Interested to hear which of the two you have yourself as I have both and know which is the superior Rolex for daily wear in my humble opinion - and it's nothing to do with depth ratings!!
    Belligero has already said he has the deepsea and prefers the sd50.
    I've said the same thing.
    I think you're being a little defensive. Not every opinion has to mirror yours and those that don't aren't necessarily from a lack of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Belligero has already said he has the deepsea and prefers the sd50.
    I've said the same thing.
    I think you're being a little defensive. Not every opinion has to mirror yours and those that don't aren't necessarily from a lack of experience.

Apologies, I'd not seen the earlier post stating that he has both watches.

Not defensive at all but just disagreeing/offering an alternate view which is, to a degree, one of the things we are free to all do on forums.

Master
    Gareth, is the DBlue as comfortable as the SD50 to wear?

Grand Master
    It’s a watch not an underwired bra!

I find that both in fact all Rolex are comfortable on and whilst the deepsea is a little larger after only 8 years wearing one it’s still super comfy and I often forget it’s there.
    RIAC

Grand Master

Do you think the SD50 premiums will come down?
    Always hard to tell. Time was Milgauss GV was a strong over retail watch and look now!

I think the whole range of steel sports will always do well with the DBlue and more likely Daytona staying strongest.

I would never suggest anyone buys a watch with the thought of it increasing in value when discontinued, you have to buy because you loved it. I watched the Seadweller surge as it stopped production and now you just have a load of owners who paid £1500-£2000 over than they would of if they had actually recognised they liked it in the first place.

SD50 is a nice unit but fit, form, and function could be had for less in a standard Seadweller or DSSD with a black dial. Of all the range I actually like the SD50 least in the divers.

RIAC

Craftsman
    Yes, if you get the DBlue correctly sized it's a great fit and there is nothing wrong with the bracelet in porportion to the case and size.

SD50, you could say the bracelet is too wide and the clasp is huge.

Dblue is stunning with the dial and domed crystal, not having a Cyclops is a bonus.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Had and sold both, decided to keep my SD 4000
    Not much to choose between the sd50 and Cameron imho, both very nice. I'm sure both will give lots of enjoyment

Craftsman
    Which is the great thing about us all liking different things .. personally I prefer the SD50 over any of the other current diving rolex's ( I also much prefer it to BLNR or Daytona ) . The Deep Sea , for me , is just too much metal on my wrist & just feels & looks out of balance. But I've a couple of friends who both wear a deepsea day in day out , and they love them . Neither of us is right when we say one is better than the other.

I have a matte 16660 as well , the SD50 feels similar on the wrist ( in fact its about the same thickness )

I always think its a bit pointless asking for others opinions on forums etc .. try both on & see what YOU like.

For me , my SD50 is the perfect modern Rolex 8)

Always hard to tell. Time was Milgauss GV was a strong over retail watch and look now!

I think the whole range of steel sports will always do well with the DBlue and more likely Daytona staying strongest.

I would never suggest anyone buys a watch with the thought of it increasing in value when discontinued, you have to buy because you loved it. I watched the Seadweller surge as it stopped production and now you just have a load of owners who paid £1500-£2000 over than they would of if they had actually recognised they liked it in the first place.

SD50 is a nice unit but fit, form, and function could be had for less in a standard Seadweller or DSSD with a black dial. Of all the range I actually like the SD50 least in the divers.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I didn't get on with the Deep blue as a whole, the dial though is lovely and I will probably regret selling it a few years down the line. A watch is more than a dial, and I wouldn't entertain a black face DSSD.

For me, yes it is and better balanced on my wrist too.....hence why it's my daily wear watch (Deep Blue)

The main issues l have with both is size, but that's entirely down to taste. The other issue is the "cyclops" on the SD50 - again a taste thing.
    The decider for me - for god knows what reason - is that, at its inflated size, the SD50 should, in my opinion, have had a higher depth rating than the SD4000. Somewhere in between to justify its bulk as necessary as a technical achievement, rather than a fashion only one.
    Perhaps daft logic as rolex watches are basically jewellery to an incredibly vast majority, but that's where l am.

Combine that with the addition of the cyclops and the DSSD pips it for me, though the green writing on the "Deepblue" would make me go for the standard DSSD every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Not seen the sf50 yet but I have the Dssd and it wears comfier than my ceramic sub

Banned
    What is the depth size of each watch, I tried dssd on today and it's large on my 7.5" wrist.

Banned
    I've had a Deep Sea and a Cameron. I found the blue a bit cheesy, but overall I have to admit I found it a bit of a brute and despite being a large watch fan, could never settle on it. This thread shows just how we all view things differently and I don't think there is a right or wrong when discussing them. The DSSD is a real love/hate watch and I understand both sides.

Not a massive fan of the SD50, but I think it fills a great gap, following in the footsteps of the SkyDweller and a few recent releases.

Blog Entries

Easily the best watch I've owned (maybe)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    What is the depth size of each watch, I tried dssd on today and it's large on my 7.5" wrist.

How long did you keep it on for mate?

Master

Thanks 100th - appreciate your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoyR View Post

Dblue is stunning with the dial and domed crystal, not having a Cyclops is a bonus.
    Yes - those are definitely the draws for me.

Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post
    The Deep Sea , for me , is just too much metal on my wrist & just feels & looks out of balance.
    I have heard this before, and I need to try and find one that I can try to suss it out

Quote Originally Posted by hot66 View Post

For me , my SD50 is the perfect modern Rolex 8)
    Out of the current range of regular Subs without going DeepSea, the SD50 is the best looking of all of them imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I wouldn't entertain a black face DSSD.
    Me neither - I'd take a SD50 over the standard DSSD.

For me, yes it is and better balanced on my wrist too.....hence why it's my daily wear watch (Deep Blue)
    Thanks - what is your wrist size? Mine is only 7.5" and I suspect the DBlue may be on the limit...

Trouble is trying to find both watches at the same venue to try on side-by-side to compare!

Master
    My wrist is 7 inches but very flat. IMHO my DSSD wears perfectly. The dial colour looks different in different lights, the best dial bar none.

Grand Master
    I’m just shy of 7.5 and live a DSSD on

RIAC

@ spareparts

7.25-7.5" wrist size, bit flat hence why I love the DSSD

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Homage!!!???? How can Rolex do a homage of itself???? How deluded can you get!

Thanks for the kind words. The use of red text on the originals was... original. Given the enormous following they have garnered in the last 10 years, Rolex could have done something a little more original than slapping on red text onto the SD50 knowing full well that that is what made their vintage Sub/SDs as desirable as they are. So a homage to the originals - in terms of emulating, with little new originality, as a way of paying respect to something older - the SD50 is. Back to the question - between both, which do you prefer?

Grand Master
    between both, which do you prefer?
    It really doesn’t matter which we prefer as anyone who buys based on someone else’s opinion is at best indecisive. !

This could go on and on but a dial can really make a Watch special and the blue does just that. SD50 is refreshing in a larger case and with a splash of red but if you really want a splash of red writing there’s the originals or have something custom made alla Bamford / Titan Black but you’ll not get that beautiful graduated dial which is a very nice design and signifies something.

I do get very tired of the ‘how bigs your wrist?’ question. It doesn’t matter if you’re comfortable and feel good wearing it, a bit like wearing skin tight Lycra! Which I have to say having met a few on here would not be a good look but each to their own.

I sell watches daily and it’s a very diverse pool of buyers and watches with no rhyme or reason. One mans shit is another mans gold.

RIAC

Master
    Oh my. Who cleans out your lavvy? 😁😁😁

Master
    It really doesn’t matter which we prefer as anyone who buys based on someone else’s opinion is at best indecisive. !

This could go on and on but a dial can really make a Watch special and the blue does just that. SD50 is refreshing in a larger case and with a splash of red but if you really want a splash of red writing there’s the originals or have something custom made alla Bamford / Titan Black but you’ll not get that beautiful graduated dial which is a very nice design and signifies something.

I do get very tired of the ‘how bigs your wrist?’ question. It doesn’t matter if you’re comfortable and feel good wearing it, a bit like wearing skin tight Lycra! Which I have to say having met a few on here would not be a good look but each to their own.

I sell watches daily and it’s a very diverse pool of buyers and watches with no rhyme or reason. One mans shit is another mans gold.

Of course it is, and I have no objection to the SD50 having red text like earlier vintage models. I think it looks good. Just curious to know which Henk felt was his preference given my delusion... Anyways, I hope to try both on soon, for comparison. Just not easy finding both at the same time.

Banned
    Just not easy finding both at the same time.
    Spent some time watch mooching this week and both are in stock in a couple of the grey retailers. Certainly a number of dealers have one or the other. Just a little effort - look online before you set off, call, check stock and by the end of today you could have tried both on.

Blog Entries
    DSSD all the way for me, an engineering exercise.

As I have muted many times, up until 24 months ago I just did not 'get' the DSSD but pop one on for a few hours and opinion changed.

The SD50 like the previous one just morph into every other sub like thing whereas the DSSD is just, well, different.

I would have a Deep Blue at the drop of a hat if I could find one.

Pitch

I have both and I find the SD50 is the better watch to wear on a daily basis. The watch head to bracelet dimensions are much better than on the DSSD where the watch head is too big for the bracelet.
    The only advantage of the DSSD is the glidelock adjustment mechanism which can be sized whilst wearing the watch.

Got to admit, I have always been a big fan of the DSSD and had a few over the years but ultimately they have always been sold to enable something a little more special. I have seen and handles the DSSD DeepBlue a couple of times and personally an not a fan of the graduated dial. Personal preference is the regular one. The glide lock that comes with the DSSD is incredible and I am a bit disappointed that the 126600 didn't come with this. Other than that proportionally prefer the SD43, fits the wrist beautifully and I like the subtle red text, and, dare say it, the Cyclops is growing on me. I think however I have preferred from the off for it to have a slightly raised crystal like the older 16600 and 116600 or even a dome a la 1665!

Last edited by paneristi372; 9th September 2017 at 10:34.

Master
    I don't have either and it's unlikely that I will but, hypothetically speaking I would get the SD50 as I cannot stand the SEL on the DB. Love the dial but I also have trouble seeing past the SDc SEL as well, but that's ok, it's not for me anyway