• SD50

58 50.43%
  • Deep Blue

57 49.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 126600 SD50 vs. 116660 DeepBlue

Grand Master

126600 SD50 vs. 116660 DeepBlue

Ok let’s not beat around the bush anymore. A cyclops is a hideous thing. When did you ever see a cyclops that actually magnified without interrupting the date and that didn’t look like a blob of water on a crystal?

Look at the image above. Can’t tell what date it actually is!!!

Instagram @blowersmayfair
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Ok let’s not beat around the bush anymore. A cyclops is a hideous thing. When did you ever see a cyclops that actually magnified without interrupting the date and that didn’t look like a blob of water on a crystal?

Look at the image above. Can’t tell what date it actually is!!!

Ha, funny you should mention that, was wearing my BLNR this week and a kid at school tried to wipe the blob water off it!!!!!

Master
    Pulled the trigger. Skipped a queue or two, and managed to get this brand new from an AD. It's just stunning, and has huge presence. The curved crystal is beautiful, and Glidelock a work of art. I may well stick it on a strap though, as I think it would work well as a casual jeans'n't-shirt watch.

Very happy :)

AD also said they could get me an SD so look forward to when that comes.

Grand Master
    Great choice. You will be very glad you went for it. !!!

RIAC

Master
    Great choice. You will be very glad you went for it. !!!

Lovely! Is that a RubberB?

You're not wrong. The way the crystal works with the cerachrome bezel is superb. I'm taken by the green text - red text is just so yesterday :D

Grand Master
    What people have over looked is that the Green writing and this dial have a firm place in Rolex legacy, right now its a wonderful watch but in 20-25 years it’ll be the Red Sub of its generation
    RIAC

Master
    What people have over looked is that the Green writing and this dial have a firm place in Rolex legacy, right now its a wonderful watch but in 20-25 years it’ll be the Red Sub of its generation
    I suspect the production numbers are much higher for the D Blue than red sub.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I suspect the production numbers are much higher for the D Blue than red sub.
    You may be surprised, the Red Sub was readily for sale in every dealers back then not one that you waited for or purchased at a premium
    RIAC

Blog Entries
    Stunning, just need to find one myself now......

Master
    You may be surprised, the Red Sub was readily for sale in every dealers back then not one that you waited for or purchased at a premium
    Fair point. I guess it depends how long they run production.

Grand Master
    ‘Too late too late’ will be the cry when the man with the bargains has left you by

RIAC

Master
    ‘Too late too late’ will be the cry when the man with the bargains has left you by

Do you genuinely believe that the supply of deepblues will cease whilst they are still in so much demand Kerry?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Do you genuinely believe that the supply of deepblues will cease whilst they are still in so much demand Kerry?
    Firstly remember Rolex don’t need the money they are effectively a charity on paper so losing one of the line up wouldn’t matter.

Stopping production of a in demand watch doesn’t necessarily lose any money for them as it’ll be replaced by something or customers will just buy another model plus it only strengthens the desire and reputation.

I have no idea if it’ll be discontinued or not but if you look at the rather lack lustre SD4000 that was never a great seller that’s enjoyed around a 30-35% price jump since production ceased then expect these in demand pieces to do the same if not more.

I would absolutely love to see the SD50 Blue released without a cyclops I think it would be the ultimate for the market. Then both DSSD can be discontinued and enjoy a very fruitful retirement.

RIAC

Master
    Firstly remember Rolex don’t need the money they are effectively a charity on paper so losing one of the line up wouldn’t matter.

Stopping production of a in demand watch doesn’t necessarily lose any money for them as it’ll be replaced by something or customers will just buy another model plus it only strengthens the desire and reputation.

I have no idea if it’ll be discontinued or not but if you look at the rather lack lustre SD4000 that was never a great seller that’s enjoyed around a 30-35% price jump since production ceased then expect these in demand pieces to do the same if not more.

I would absolutely love to see the SD50 Blue released without a cyclops I think it would be the ultimate for the market. Then both DSSD can be discontinued and enjoy a very fruitful retirement.

Interesting Kerry, maybe Rolex have an unofficial agenda that sees the creation of limited runs of popular models thus creating a perpetuating demand for new models. A bit like Omega, but without quoting edition quotas. Id love to see the blue SD50 too (without cyclops as you said). I've had a DSSD for 6 years now, and whilst I wear lots of other watches too, once it's been on the wrist for a few days, it's difficult to take off. There is a deep blue on the horizon, but I'm not convinced it would replace the black version in my collection. It's the same with the GMT black/blue I have, I think I prefer the all black model I've owned previously 🤔

Master
    Dealers predicting the demise of certain watches, effectively talking-up the price of their stock. It needs to be taken with great caution. They don't know any more about the future than anyone else. Somehow, they never talk-down prices.
    I know it's their job, but I can't see it as impartial advice. Sorry, but there it is.

Grand Master

126600 SD50 vs. 116660 DeepBlue

Noted but whilst I am now in the trade I was and still am 30+ years an enthusiast and trust me I have no problem selling a watch. If they get cheaper I buy them cheaper my margins still the same so no need to talk anything up it’s just a fantastic Watch which I personally would always own regardless of supply and demand

If you want prices talking down then I’m happy to highlight the 90% of our stock that sells for less than retail

RIAC

Master
    I suspect that most owners of the deep blue had hoped they would have stopped production at Baselworld and are now hoping that they will stop it next year. I wouldn't be surprised with both watches being quite similar in size (though the SD wears smaller). Having now seen the SD it's also quite a stunning watch. Both of them are.

Blog Entries
    Last week was lucky enough to snag a deepblue from local AD. Have to say I'm smitten. I've had a couple of dssd's before but always moved them on. However the Blue dial is really rather nice, like Kerry I have put mine on a Rubber B and it is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    I too just like the person before me was lucky enough to be called by an AD, with whom i was on waiting for some 18months for one. telling me my DBlue was in should i want it. clearly i ran in and purchased it!

I would like to add i have girly wrists (6.5'') but i am big fan of the watch. It is extremely heavy compared to my GMT/Sub, but i think (at least hope) i will get use to it.

for me the dial is beautiful, the colour graduation is nothing like i have seen on any other Rolex. for me its the single selling point of the watch. I would buy this colour graduation on any of their modles as i love it that much.

Also speaking to two another AD close by to me, they both confirmed that they get hardly any of these D-blues in. one of them was telling me his group (3 stores total) last year only saw 3 come in stock from Rolex. I clearly plan to enjoy the watch and wear it as often as possible, but there is a part of me which hopes i could see a increase in value should Rolex discontinue the model.

on to the negatives - like someones comment before i too do not like the 'origonal gas valve' ring they have. I think its unnecessary. This is probably the single biggest flaw with the watch in my opinion, as it clutters the dial.

To go back to the original question and give my opinion on the overall question - even if i did not have the D-blue but had the option between the two, i would still pick the D-blue because of the above.

Master
    Has anyone on forum ever tried a DSSD on leather? I would be keen to see pics if so. I tried on a NATO once and it was not a good look.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ASD25 View Post
    I too just like the person before me was lucky enough to be called by an AD, with whom i was on waiting for some 18months for one. telling me my DBlue was in should i want it. clearly i ran in and purchased it!

I would like to add i have girly wrists (6.5'') but i am big fan of the watch. It is extremely heavy compared to my GMT/Sub, but i think (at least hope) i will get use to it.

for me the dial is beautiful, the colour graduation is nothing like i have seen on any other Rolex. for me its the single selling point of the watch. I would buy this colour graduation on any of their modles as i love it that much.

Also speaking to two another AD close by to me, they both confirmed that they get hardly any of these D-blues in. one of them was telling me his group (3 stores total) last year only saw 3 come in stock from Rolex. I clearly plan to enjoy the watch and wear it as often as possible, but there is a part of me which hopes i could see a increase in value should Rolex discontinue the model.

on to the negatives - like someones comment before i too do not like the 'origonal gas valve' ring they have. I think its unnecessary. This is probably the single biggest flaw with the watch in my opinion, as it clutters the dial.

To go back to the original question and give my opinion on the overall question - even if i did not have the D-blue but had the option between the two, i would still pick the D-blue because of the above.
    Fantastic news and well done, a result.

18 month wait, that’s a long time and guessing that’s the norm now, best I become very patient.

Enjoy

Pitch

Craftsman
    worn my deepblue all weekend and you forget it`s on just like any other watch

Master
    Cross post from the other thread, but I’m loving it!

To the man himself on the Walk of Fame!

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post

Love that!

Master

Loving mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman

I love the James Cameron

What a great watch. Love it!

Master
    My sd50 arrived last week and has been worn since, so I am now in a position to comment properly on this thread.
    Straight out of the box I found the sd50 a bit meh. It feels much less chunky than the DSSD, and the clasp is not a patch on the DSSD clasp. Also, after the ever changing colours of the d blue dial, the all black dial of the sd50 feels just a little bit "flat".
    Anyway, a few pics to compare.
    Side on the DSSD is much thicker.

Face on I feel that despite the larger case size the DSSD has a smaller dial.
    I think I can honestly say that i am a little disappointed with the sd50, but to give it some context I was initially underwhelmed by my BLNR, and it has very much grown on me over the past 6 months. Only time will tell if I grow to love it.

Nice pair ,but I can't get over the cyclops though

Master
    Not qualified to comment as don't own either and have only tried (both) very briefly, but......
    Deep Blue definately !

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Nice pair ,but I can't get over the cyclops though
    Indeed, it’s a remarkable improvement. Amazing how much better a detail like that makes the watch look compared to the sad little unmagnified date window on its predecessor. ;)

Have to say that I do like a splash of Red!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leefowler View Post

Now. That’s just showing off!!

Excellent collection.

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Now. That’s just showing off!!

Excellent collection.

Martyn
    Thank you sir!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    My sd50 arrived last week and has been worn since, so I am now in a position to comment properly on this thread.
    Straight out of the box I found the sd50 a bit meh. It feels much less chunky than the DSSD, and the clasp is not a patch on the DSSD clasp. Also, after the ever changing colours of the d blue dial, the all black dial of the sd50 feels just a little bit "flat".

I think I can honestly say that i am a little disappointed with the sd50, but to give it some context I was initially underwhelmed by my BLNR, and it has very much grown on me over the past 6 months. Only time will tell if I grow to love it.

I'm a newbie here, so apologies if comment out of place, but interesting to see your review. I have same feelings preferring the weight of the DSDD.

Master

Another splash of red ..

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post

RIAC

Master

Fantastic patintion on the double red. Totally love it. Do you wear it much?

Master

That DRSD! <3

Master
    Excellent comparison shot; to my eyes the 43mm is just too big. Bulky. Wish I'd never sold my SD 4000. Stupid decision. In truth it realistically did everything the Deepsea does , and the 43mm, without all the bloat.
    Last edited by paskinner; 13th October 2017 at 10:13.

Master
    I’ve now got both of them and they are both great watches but quite different.

It will be interesting to see how these fair from a price point as my complete guess is that although the SD43 is new and one of the current watches to have more will come into circulation, whereas the deep sea blue I still think may be discontinued and prices may rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    [...]
    Good comparison photos.

Personally, I prefer everything about the 126600 except the clasp. Good to see that the crystal is slightly raised, although it would be better if it were higher, as it is on the 116600 — that model's extra height vs. the regular Submariner's being my favourite thing about it:

Thumbs up

I was offered a new 126600 last week but decided to decline taking it as just before I got in the car for a 4+ hour round trip the AD told me "....oh, and we will need to keep the warranty card for 12 months as its out new policy....."

No thank you, I'll take my business elsewhere after buying 2 new Rolex watches (that we still own) from that AD in the last 15 months.

Apprentice
    Very nice pair you have there. More of a fan with the dssd myself tho. Blue black is the one I’m after.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    I was offered a new 126600 last week but decided to decline taking it as just before I got in the car for a 4+ hour round trip the AD told me "....oh, and we will need to keep the warranty card for 12 months as its out new policy....."

No thank you, I'll take my business elsewhere after buying 2 new Rolex watches (that we still own) from that AD in the last 15 months.
    Sounds like a good course of action Gareth given they are two hours from you. Getting the warranty card back after all that time would be a faff even if you were happy with them retaining it

I got the full stickers off treatment on my last purchase plus full name and address on the warranty card. Didn't make any difference to me as I am keeping and wearing it, but I wasn't asked or told. It just disappeared for a few minutes and reappeared naked. I did get to keep the warranty card and all hang tags, plastic coffin etc.

It's funny how each AD makes up their own rules but if it means there are more around for genuine folks who want to buy and keep then that's a good thing in my eyes.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Sounds like a good course of action Gareth given they are two hours from you. Getting the warranty card back after all that time would be a faff even if you were happy with them retaining it

Indeed Marcel. I was quite tempted to go and get it and then ask to see the warranty card at least.......and then cut it in half right there and hand them one part to keep whilst I kept the other........

Blog Entries
    Indeed Marcel. I was quite tempted to go and get it and then ask to see the warranty card at least.......and then cut it in half right there and hand them one part to keep whilst I kept the other........
    The neck.....

All good buddy???

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The neck.....

All good buddy???

All good thanks Paul...hope you are likewise!

Master
    So I got offered a 126600 to join the DBlue today from my 'other' AD, and decided it would have been rude not to. On its own, the 126600 is quite spectacular and it certainly hits many high notes (Cyclops aside) as a 50th anniversary 'divers' commemoration... if they had included the Glidelock, it would arguably have all the features of their most memorable divers. Anyway, here is the diver's box (minus the 14060m which is being kept aside for a significant gift one day). Asked Mrs SP which one she preferred when they were all lined up, and she instantly said the DBlue, followed by the SD43, then the 16600, claiming the blue dial of the DBlue was just so special. I wasn't going to disagree!

Gareth, that's rubbish (as in your dealer is rubbish!). My AD swiped the warranty card at their terminal to register me electronically and just gave me everything the watch came with. The physical warranty card is of limited value given the online registration.
    Last edited by spareparts; 17th October 2017 at 23:30.

Master
    "Asked Mrs SP which one she preferred when they were all lined up, and she instantly said the DBlue, followed by the SD43, then the 16600, claiming the blue dial of the DBlue was just so special. I wasn't going to disagree!"

If I tried that one with the wife I would be told to get a grip.
    Understanding Mrs.