closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Student laptop recommendation

Student laptop recommendation

Evening all,

The daughter's laptop has went pop. Any recommendations for a replacement from the learned members?
    Windows based, cheap and with an office install if possible....

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some good deals all over the place right now: https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=laptop
    I'd also recommend a refurb from Dell Outlet - I've had 3 in the past at very good prices.

Buy Office separately - students can get a massive discount.

I've no experience, but I hear Chromebooks are highly thought of in educational situations. From what I can tell, if your needs are limited to documents and have a bit of cloud storage then they seem a dirt cheap option.

Of course, if you need heavy-duty applications like CAD or 4K video editing then that's not going to be an option, but I though I'd mention it.

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman

Student laptop recommendation

FYI you can get office free if you're a student.
    https://products.office.com/en-gb/st...e-in-education

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tswatch66; 6th September 2017 at 23:29.

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 03:19.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Analogue View Post

Over the centuries I have been involved in academia. Quite a lot of undergrads, and postgraduate students want an Apple device that may not run the software they need, so beware of that.
    Well you can always dual boot a macbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Plug View Post
    I've no experience, but I hear Chromebooks are highly thought of in educational situations. From what I can tell, if your needs are limited to documents and have a bit of cloud storage then they seem a dirt cheap option.

Of course, if you need heavy-duty applications like CAD or 4K video editing then that's not going to be an option, but I though I'd mention it.

Cheers,

Plug
    I use a Chromebook as my sole device at home and a Surface Pro 4 at work and i'm pretty sure a chromebook could replace a laptop for 99% of people. Takes a little bit of change in mindset but it's got a genuine 8 hour battery life, 7 second boot time and the offline document creation tools (Google Docs) are great. It's also light enough to cart about every day. They are quickly becoming the default education option for most schools in the states.

To get similar portability in a windows device you are looking to spend £700 min and in contrast you've then got a 3 hour battery life. Of course you can spend less but it will then weight as much as a small country.

Most institutions will publish a min requirement for kit so that's worth a look before you push the button.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post
    I use a Chromebook as my sole device at home and a Surface Pro 4 at work and i'm pretty sure a chromebook could replace a laptop for 99% of people. Takes a little bit of change in mindset but it's got a genuine 8 hour battery life, 7 second boot time and the offline document creation tools (Google Docs) are great. It's also light enough to cart about every day. They are quickly becoming the default education option for most schools in the states.
    Completely correct, you win the thread.

I'd only add that 7 seconds is pretty slow for a modern Chromebook, most can do faster than that. Most people need more time to type their passphrase than it takes the machine to boot from cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Well you can always dual boot a macbook.
    Very few students are technically knowledgeable enough to do such things, they are growing up in an environment of mature technology where tinkering is the exception rather than the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazydonkey View Post

To get similar portability in a windows device you are looking to spend £700 min and in contrast you've then got a 3 hour battery life. Of course you can spend less but it will then weight as much as a small country.

Most institutions will publish a min requirement for kit so that's worth a look before you push the button.
    That would be my recommended approach as well. However I appreciate there could be a number of reasons why your daughter may find it unacceptable. In which case I would agree with the following.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    I'd also recommend a refurb from Dell Outlet - I've had 3 in the past at very good prices.
    http://www.dell.com/learn/uk/en/ukdf...aigns/splitter

Their pricing appears to be dynamically adjusted to supply and demand, and discount 'coupons' act as a flash sale mechanism, so you need to follow the site regularly for a while if you want to pick up the real bargains.

Thanks for all the feedback chaps.
    Got a decent deal and she's signed up for the free office 365.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk