closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Under rated / under the radar.

Grand Seikos are very under-rated in my opinion.
    Personally I would put them one level above Rolex in terms of finish and movements.

Quote Originally Posted by superchoo View Post
    Citizen Chronomasters too, especially as service costs for mechanicals go up in the coming years.
    Good Call.

Journeyman
    Vintage quartz. The Oysterquartz has been touched on, but considering how unique the Omega MQ, Marine Chronometer etc. were in their day, and the geek appeal, I am surprised there is not more love.

Hummers. Relatively cheap, surprisingly robust, totally bonkers. Yes there are a lot of nondescript and shabby ones around, but get hold of a good-looking one and you will be sold.

9Fs They may not suit everyone, but GS quartz take understatement to another level.

Ickler. They just do their own thing, and make a perplexing variety of watches. You will not like them all, but if you do find one you want it will serve you well. And also, you get to try and say "Pforzheim"

Hanhart, Longiness and GP.

Especially Hanharts.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
    Grand Seikos are very under-rated in my opinion.
    Personally I would put them one level above Rolex in terms of finish and movements.
    Those plated hands aren't one level above anything.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I'd say Chronoswiss are a good shout - Really nice details & well finished
    I bought the Pacific to be 'under the radar'...

z
    That's nice

Excluding their recent ambassadorial additions I would say Tudor are pretty under rated, particularly their ceramic Fastrider range, really good quality

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Another shout for Citizen, specifically the NY0040.

Seiko's SKX007 hogs the limelight in this price category, Citizen's offering more than matches it IMO.

Master
    Certina Watches - sold one to a member on this site and still miss it.
    Better crowns than on Longine Conquests imho . Every Watch at least 100m WR.
    Good finish, use of the ETA 80hr and a very solid back story.

Journeyman
    Most Grand Seikos and many Citizens IMO

Quote Originally Posted by watchhead View Post
    Most Grand Seikos and many Citizens IMO
    I suspect the intention is that Grand Seiko remain neither for much longer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Excluding their recent ambassadorial additions I would say Tudor are pretty under rated...
    Having just snagged this, I'd have to agree...

I wanted something more sporty for work which wouldn't attract the usual (flash) comments.

z

Tudor Ranger - surprised I don't see more about.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Vacheron Constantin 42042 original Overseas - somewhat overlooked and still well priced for what it is. The recent white gold version has returned to the ultra-thin style, and it feels a bit more dressy and sophisticated than the larger, later ones. Beautifully put together and wonderfully solid too, comparing favourably with 14790ST Royal Oaks while feeling more substantial. There's even a completely ignored quartz version that has - at least until recently - been a bit of a bargain.
    Oysterquartz 17000 - A firm favourite here but still overlooked in the scheme of things as people are wary of quartz and want a typical Rolex. I've been wearing mine today, such an awesome, bullet proof bracelet, unique style, and a solidity and weight that's quite different from mechanical datejusts of the time. Now confirmed as being a direct descendent from a Genta design (the 'texan') that pre-dated the RO. Brilliantly futuristic, in a 70s way.
    1019 & 6541 Milgaus - Ok well not exactly under-rated, but what a watch and when did you last see one? When are they even discussed? They are not a brand that does re-issues, but still, imagine it.
    Grand Seiko 9Fs - again not exactly under-rated and much loved by some, but many ignore high accuracy quartz in favour of mechanical and spring drive, even though the 9Fs are in many cases better proportioned (less thick), are low maintenance, are incredibly practical, and are special in their own right. My preferred GS in many ways.
    Omega Aqua Terra Quartz, last applied indices generation - I tend to bang on about this one but it has the right combination of AT attributes such as brushed centre links and no date surround, is thinner than the mechanical version and so wears better, and has the independently adjustable hour hand 'time zone' function that goes back to the 70s Megaquartz, which went missing in the following generation. When the dust settles it might just be a classic, an affordable low maintenance, practical Omega beater in an era of price rises.
    JLC Geophysic True Second - Some interest on launch, but largely ignored as looking like a quartz is an odd complication, and it's quite different from the usual romantic JLC style. But is it actually one of their best looking watches?
    Girard Perregaux vintage dress watches. If you can find an oversized one, they can be lovely, but have never been highly valued.

Good question btw!
    This is almost my want list for this exact reason. ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    This is almost my want list for this exact reason. ;-)
    I just had a quick look on Chrono24 and it seems some of these aren't quite as overlooked as they were a few years back. The Oysterquartz has certainly been picked up on, and the original 37mm Overseas seems to be going that way too - you can still find the odd mint one for a decent price but they're in the minority. Hard to find the full size quartz Overseas, which used to be a pretty obscure yet relatively available and affordable watch for a VC, not so much now... Should have picked one up as a beater at the time! It really isn't a buyer's market right now is it? This 'overlooked classic' game gets harder all the time.

60s Seikos seems to be one of the few places to look for affordable fun, condition is extremely variable but some just have that timeless elegance that melts the watch lover's heart. I'd also add the 16000 Rolex Datejust that I posted about here - not a famous reference but for me an appealing and subtle cross between a vintage DJ and Oyster Perpetual.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    This one :)
    Loving this, automatic too ;-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Loving this, automatic too ;-)
    Thanks mate, had it for couple weeks and quite impressed, I can see myself building a small collection of seikos.

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Tag Heuer. Finish EASILY comparable to Omega but frequently frowned upon by non Tag owners
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is very true. I think they're seen as infra dig by many here, but very solid. I just wish the more interesting new stuff was was modestly cased - they're too large and way too thick.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Hardly an under rated brand but certainly over rated

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Does that not make them under rated

Master
    Orient for me, great quality for the price.

Longines - seems to be a brand that suffers from being displayed next to fashion watches in the windows of high street jewellery chains.

Zenith for me, very underrated, this beautifully made Zenith Doublematic is as good example as any......

Last edited by shalako; 14th November 2017 at 00:35.

Apprentice

ny0040

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Another shout for Citizen, specifically the NY0040.

Seiko's SKX007 hogs the limelight in this price category, Citizen's offering more than matches it IMO.

have to agree with this, recently snapped one up, the blue dial version lovely looking watch, keeps good time and the finish is very good all round, easily matches seiko divers of that price point.

Fortis,maybe the least renowned of the "been to space" watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick View Post
    Fortis,maybe the least renowned of the "been to space" watches.
    Good shout.

Craftsman
    Tag Heuer. Finish EASILY comparable to Omega but frequently frowned upon by non Tag owners

sorry but tag have released far to much quartz junk to be taken seriously anymore, totally shot themselves in the foot.

Most are hardly Omega levels of finish and QC. I've owned many, and quite a few of the newer models too.

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    sorry but tag have released far to much quartz junk to be taken seriously anymore, totally shot themselves in the foot.
    But... They are taken seriously. They have a huge following. Tag is targeting a different market from the Omega and even Rolex aims it once had these days.

The watch cases and bracelets have generally improved in my experience. I was disappointed by the choice of the actual quartz movement in some models, but they are still selling well.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Most are hardly Omega levels of finish and QC. I've owned many, and quite a few of the newer models too.

But... They are taken seriously. They have a huge following. Tag is targeting a different market from the Omega and even Rolex aims it once had these days.

The watch cases and bracelets have generally improved in my experience. I was disappointed by the choice of the actual quartz movement in some models, but they are still selling well.
    The finish on my grand carrera is easily as good as my planet ocean. All opinion ofc.

Zeno, if you recognise this you're a true watch enthusiast.

Most people look blank when they ask what I'm wearing.

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master
    Orient Star. Fit and finish on any watches from series is well above its pricetag and overall Orient regular series. Real "sleeper" watches

Journeyman
    Glycine Airman
    Well built
    Reliablle movement
    Good value
    And real history....

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    In vintage, I'd say that Longines is still mostly under the radar compared to Omega et al. The 12.68Z is a really beautifully made, finished and accurate movement and the 30L a famously good (but somewhat less finished IMHO) movement. The styling, pre-70's, is properly classic and sizing tends to be 35mm, sometimes bigger. As someone earlier noted, G-P are fantastic but the vast majority seem to be too small for modern tastes. No connection with the guy but Mitka sells a range of good vintage watches, including Longines https://mitka.co.uk/longines/ (His prices are perhaps a bit high but he's serviced them and, in some cases, I think he's carefully cleaned - not restored - a dial or two.)

I agree on Omega AT.
    Also old references.
    In particular the ones with 39.2mm case are perfect on my wrist.

Blog Entries
    Another one bought to be under the radar for work.

Very nicely put together.

z

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by khumzi View Post
    https://mitka.co.uk/longines/ (His prices are perhaps a bit high but he's serviced them and, in some cases, I think he's carefully cleaned - not restored - a dial or two.)
    Thanks for this link, I am firmly in the market for something classic, vintage and gold - are there any other sites you'd recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    Vintage Eberhard watches for me. They don't get mentioned on here very often and you can get some truly beautiful ones for not a lot of dosh.
    That's a very cool looking watch, and a new brand for me, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Stuff like basic Citizen eco-drive. Cheap, cheerful and surprisingly good.
    I think since dad picked up his eco-drive, his PP barely gets a look in?!

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    A lot of that quartz junk is still running well, maintenance free. I've wore a Tag Classic for a decade and it was great. My dad's been wearing his 'quartz junk' daily for over 15 years and it still looks good on him.

Don't dismiss a brand because they don't just make Haute Horlogerie. Tag Heuer are still one of the most innovative Swiss brands out there, from producing MikrotourbillonS to Connected they cover a wide spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    A lot of that quartz junk is still running well, maintenance free. I've wore a Tag Classic for a decade and it was great. My dad's been wearing his 'quartz junk' daily for over 15 years and it still looks good on him.

Don't dismiss a brand because they don't just make Haute Horlogerie. Tag Heuer are still one of the most innovative Swiss brands out there, from producing MikrotourbillonS to Connected they cover a wide spectrum.
    Well said Chris!

It really is about time all the Tag bashing stopped; they do make some very good watches and always have. I’d guess that maybe 50% of us here have owned at least one Tag at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well said Chris!

It really is about time all the Tag bashing stopped; they do make some very good watches and always have. I’d guess that maybe 50% of us here have owned at least one Tag at some point.
    my only Tag and it’s right up there in terms of quality imho

Master
    The American brand, "Deep Blue" are extremely well made for the money.

Very rarely even mentioned on here.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post

Chinese made cases and components, generally big and bulky divers but can be good value and prices have shot up for them in last couple of years. Ive had 10 or so, some i liked some not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post

The first watch I bought here was a Deep Blue; it was huge but a very nice watch.

Under the radar maybe bug hardly inconspicuous!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Thanks for this link, I am firmly in the market for something classic, vintage and gold - are there any other sites you'd recommend?
    Not really, I’m afraid. Omegaforums has a good Sales section and the brands it covers have “looks ok on eBay” threads. The best thing to do I feel is to spend time scrolling through Chrono24 to get your eye in and develop your likes/dislikes. Once you have a sense of that, zero in on one or two models and research the hell out of them. You’ll have a much better handle on what looks right and at a fair price. I was a little surprised initially just how much out there has been messed with - incorrect hands, cases, re-dials (especially black!), movements not matching case numbers, etc. Good luck and apologies to the thread for the OT reply.

my only Tag and it’s right up there in terms of quality imho

I'd agree. Love mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I'd agree. Love mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Interesting strap choice. Looks good. Never tried a more casual strap on mine hmm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The first watch I bought here was a Deep Blue; it was huge but a very nice watch.

Under the radar maybe bug hardly inconspicuous!
    Lol, no, certainly not a watch for the slimmer wristed among us.

Craftsman
    5 digit Rolex Explorer II

Quote Originally Posted by superchoo View Post
    Speedmaster Tin Tin also gets my vote, always thought this would be a few £k more at least.
    Give it some time, appreciating already...

Blog Entries
    6 digit Explorer 2's in my opinion.