closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are you sure Darling? its a lot of work......

Are you sure Darling? its a lot of work......

So i sold my VW T5.1 SWB and bought a LWB with a view to converting it over the next few years, my Wife has always wanted another Type 2 and has finally got her wish.

Unlikely to be fully recomissioned until next year, but that gives me time to spend some extra time on the details.
    Its a early Bay window with a Devon Caravette conversion, which, as far as I can tell is orignal and complete.

Not as comfy, large nor as capable as my T5, but those sort of rational reasons tend to go out the (manual wind) window with decisions like these!

Master
    Good luck with the build. You have way more patience and skill than I to take that challenge on.

If that was a Rolex then Watchmaster would list that as 'Good as New'

From the pictures it looks as though there may be one or two bits missing!

Good luck with the rebuild; I had a fantastic three months touring Europe in one of these in 1986. Great memories!

Craftsman
    Looks like a great project!!

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Good luck, hope you keep this thread updated

Good luck Keith, I have a 77 late bay and getting it sorted like you are doing will pay off long term, mine will need a full strip down restoration in the coming years I'm sure, but in the meantime they are great fun weekend people carriers, the kids love it.
    I'm sure you know it, but the Early Bay forum is a good one.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Fantastic, please keep us updated.
    Looks pretty solid from those pictures too?
    Will you be changing it far from standard?

As i'm sure you know Keith rust worm is the big worry on these ,got to say yours looks to be in pretty good fettle.
    So, strip down, sand blast,paint and rebuild .
    Looking forward to the updates.

Craftsman
    The late bay site has a lot of info and advice esp re modern fuel and these old buses

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Very cool... love it

Starting stripping the seats and cleaning the original Oak framed and veneered interior.
    Drivers seat is in a poor state, with most of the base springs broken, furniture is pretty good with the odd bit of veneer that needs replacing.

I am in the process of removing the old yellowed varnish and sanding the cabinets for a coating of Danish oil and either varnish or wax as a final finish.
    The vinyl and Duracour seat pads are in amazing condition for the age and other than a gentle clean will stay as is.

The old Whale hand pump was past saving, but I might take the opportunity to modernise the plumbing with a discreet electric one as the plan is to be as sympathic as possible with the restoration.

Bit more of the body work done, and thought I would share some of the vans service history...its the little additions like this that made me buy this project.

New boot lid, cross peice and hinges and I have a nice rust free Californian tailgate to fit.

The little bit of bare metal left showing, was going to have a skim of filler, but its coming out now and a fresh cut going in.

Some of the paperwork