Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
I genuinely don't grasp the purpose of those 'looka me and my new Rolex/Omega/Breitling/Seiko/etc' with the same standard model that has been posted scores of times on countless threads. If you have a newly released model that others are interested in hearing about, or a rare model, or a restored old watch, that makes complete sense. But beyond the usual WRUW threads the selfie stuff leaves me cold.
This is the real issue, in that to justify a proper incoming thread you would hope that either it's a less common watch, or makes some effort with the photography, or adds some interesting information or personal experiences of the owner. Without any of these qualities, it adds very little and just takes up space. There's the long running group incoming thread for a quick wrist shot of a new arrival, and that's a better place for it. I would however defend any incoming thread that is more considered, and have really enjoyed some of the photography and information from some members.

Of course this issue arises more with current Rolex models as the brand is by far the most popular, and we're less likely to find out anything we don't already know. But the divisive nature of the brand is also at work, when Rolex posts get described as 'willy waving / look at me / showing off', when silimlar posts about other brands would not. A bit silly really, on a watch forum. In any case, considering some of the other pieces on show around these parts, it would be some pretty mid-sized willy waving.

I can see it's a potential issue though, if people see these kinds of basic shopping posts, and join just to add more of them, thinking that this is the right place for that. All this 'unboxing' stuff around the internet about mundane products bewilders me, it's consumerism as religious ritual. Not sure what you can do about it though, apart from starting and supporting interesting threads, and on the others saying, 'Congratulations on your purchase, perhaps use the "Incoming" thread next time'.