timefactors watches
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 351 to 362 of 362

Thread: Just an observation from long term member

  1. #351
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,267
    Quote Originally Posted by moorery2001 View Post
    Visual content is key to liking, reviewing, and buying products. Not sure why anyone would be mad that forums are turning into "picture books". IMO it helps the brands we talk about have more credibility when we are constantly seeing their products on here.
    So much nonsense in a single post

  2. #352
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

    I love the tech threads but can't add anything technical. That said, ask about old Rolex or parts i can probably help as that's my corner so to speak.
    I do feel there is an over saturation of Rolex threads, of the "look what just arrived" variety. We all know what a sub looks like,
    But I reckon there is a lot of interesting Rolex stuff to be learnt and enjoyed from the parts, history, timeline, collectible promo stuff and even modding of them, would love to see more of this.

  3. #353
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    1,308
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I do feel there is an over saturation of Rolex threads, of the "look what just arrived" variety. We all know what a sub looks like,
    But I reckon there is a lot of interesting Rolex stuff to be learnt and enjoyed from the parts, history, timeline, collectible promo stuff and even modding of them, would love to see more of this.
    I sympathise with what you say but basically Rolex owners (myself included) are just cloning TRF and using this forum as a vehicle to set up a UK version of what is a very successful international forum.

  4. #354
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Woodbridge England
    Posts
    121
    I think this thread is proving destructive of a good forum.

    Also, it is becoming symptomatic of some of the malaise perceived by the OP. Lack of discussion on a rational level, inanity of some posts, and personal attacks are all to be found here.

    Constructive criticism is fine. We all put our foot in our mouths occasionally (some of us more than occasionally) and could benefit from words of wisdom, but single line (and therefore unexplained) gratuitous insults from senior members such as

    Quote Originally Posted by *** View Post
    So much nonsense in a single post
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by *** View Post
    What a load of b******s.
    are not likely to educate anyone. Their only intended purpose (if indeed there was intent at all) must be to drive away from the forum members who hold differing views. [We've all met such people in the pub].


    With respect to the purpose of this thread (presumably to foment some change), it seems to have failed. We still have the same forum structure, vacuous threads with many photos of shiny new toys (or potential new toys) still abound and are popular, and we are still being rude to each other quite unnecessarily. I therefore propose that the thread be pulled.

    One other proposal: I seemingly do not have enough brownie points to access the bear-pit, but, if it is as described (a place for people to insult each other), then I would suggest that it has no place in a nominally civilized horology forum -- and should be deleted. There are plenty of other opportunities to do such things elsewhere on the web.



    Sits back to await insults.
    Last edited by Yokel; 16th September 2017 at 10:10.

  5. #355
    Grand Master Saint-Just's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ashford, Kent
    Posts
    11,499
    Completely disagree with you regarding the replies given to the post. They were quite measured - as was mine to the same post -.
    This forum is in perpetual evolution of course, and shaped by its members, old and new alike. But when someone who's just arrived wants to turn it into WUS, he should be told that it already exists and it would be better for everyone if he went there directly. The bit about having him hanged, drawn and quartered first is of course optional.
    Well, everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.

  6. #356
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    361
    The mistake many long term members make, is assume new members have no knowledge and are at the outset of the hobby, which leads to poorly presented replies being challenged, at which time, the aggression appears. When you look through previous postings, the majority joined with an old piece of scrap a few years ago and flaunt around here like they're the font of all knowledge of the Swiss watch insustry. Some new members just fade away because of this.

  7. #357
    Master Neilw3030's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Exeter, Devon, UK
    Posts
    2,375
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    The mistake many long term members make, is assume new members have no knowledge and are at the outset of the hobby, which leads to poorly presented replies being challenged, at which time, the aggression appears. When you look through previous postings, the majority joined with an old piece of scrap a few years ago and flaunt around here like they're the font of all knowledge of the Swiss watch insustry. Some new members just fade away because of this.
    This does seem to happen to a degree, I recall my early days and took great offence to one particular person very quickly, but i think a thicker skin is needed by all of us as over time people become accepted and develop their forum persona.
    I do agree with your comments, I cannot believe that most if not all of us started as you state, maybe not on this forum or even others, but a new Rolex is mostly not our first watch, but there is bound to be someone along soon who this applies to.
    We all learn here and gain from others knowledge and experience, lets make it a good one.

  8. #358
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    25,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    With respect to the purpose of this thread... I therefore propose that the thread be pulled.
    Good for you - suggest you instruct the mods to do so immediately.

  9. #359
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Woodbridge England
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good for you - suggest you instruct the mods to do so immediately.
    More a job for a "grand master" than a "17 jewel" I would have thought.

  10. #360
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boulevard Haussmann
    Posts
    10,475
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Good for you - suggest you instruct the mods to do so immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    More a job for a "grand master" than a "17 jewel" I would have thought.
    You've got the moves I'll give you that.
    Sent from My etch a sketch

  11. #361
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boulevard Haussmann
    Posts
    10,475
    Last edited by number2; 16th September 2017 at 16:10.
    Sent from My etch a sketch

  12. #362
    Robt I have found your thoughts and insights throughout this thread to be interesting and educational (so astroturfing actually has a name). You obviously care and if nothing else, it is reassuring to know that there are such considered observers and commentators around who give a damn.
    Cheers anyway.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •