closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid

Mitsubishi Outlander hybrid

Sadly I am just about to let my beLoved Shogun go and am looking around for a suitable replacement.

As I no longer do any towing and the majority of my journeys are less than 10 miles I am thinking about buying a used hybrid Outlander.

Do any forum members run one of these - if so what has been your experience?

Many thanks.

Master
    Hhhh has one...

Master

Hybrids

I would be interested in any first hand experiences on the PHEV Outlander.

Master
    No first hand experience but know someone on a different forum who bought an Outlander PHEV after a decade or two of owning various Land Rovers. He regards reliability, comfort, frugality and Mitsubishi customer service very highly.

Blog Entries
    Not fuel efficient, especially when towing. The first series were not so well built: sagging seats, leaks above the doors.
    On the other hand: you see tons of these on the streets here and a lot of returning customers.

When my ASX was in for servicing, twice, I had the use of a 2015 and 2016 Outlander. The 2015 one I was not impressed with at all. I actually felt like it was going to tip over, going around roundabouts, or some turns. It ran out of electric charge quickly, admittedly on the motorway, as I don't use a heavy foot, so electric charge was being used more than petrol, till it ran out. The 2016 one I really liked. It was very comfortable over bumps etc and it handled far beeter than the 2015 one, as good or nearly as good as my ASX. I wished if in this territory Mitsubishi did the ASX as a hybrid. I have no need for something as large as the Outlander.

Sorry this is not first hand experience but my gut instinct is more towards a Lexus RX series. Although Toyota now do their RAV 4 as a Hybrid too. My dad will only buy Toyota's and currently drives an Auris Hybrid and loves it (well he is retired so fair enough). Toyota seem to be well versed in Hybrid drive and reliability of their own offerings and Lexus are second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Sorry this is not first hand experience but my gut instinct is more towards a Lexus RX series. Although Toyota now do their RAV 4 as a Hybrid too. My dad will only buy Toyota's and currently drives an Auris Hybrid and loves it (well he is retired so fair enough). Toyota seem to be well versed in Hybrid drive and reliability of their own offerings and Lexus are second to none.
    It seems it is just me that has had dreadful customer service from Toyota?!

My recent purchase of a brand new Hilux has been entirely unpleasant due to the incompetence of the dealership staff and lack of attention/willingness to deal with 'issues', which seems to stem directly from Toyota themselves. Not sure I woul have another Toyota as a result.

Sorry for the OT comment...

As per Maysie's comment, I guess anyone can get a rogue car or have a bad dealer, so sorry to hear that but probably just suffered some bad luck. JD Power and Driver Power customer satisfaction usually find Skoda and Toyota/Lexus at the top of the table for customers satisfaction and ownership satisfaction. Below is the results from the 2017 Auto Express Driver Power Survey for the UK, Lexus RX and Toyota RAV4 are 3rd and 4th respectively: -

Driver Power 2017 - best cars to own (% customer satisfaction)

Skoda Superb Mk3 93.42

Skoda Yeti Mk1 93.33

Lexus RX Mk4 93.14

Toyota RAV4 Mk4 93.11

Kia cee'd / pro_cee'd Mk2 93.03

Suzuki Vitara Mk2 93.01

SEAT Leon Mk3 92.8

Lexus CT Mk1 92.42

Volvo XC60 Mk1 92.17

Subaru Forester Mk4 92.15

Skoda Fabia Mk3 92.14

Kia Sportage Mk4 92.03

Audi Q3 / RS Q3 Mk1 91.87

Ford Kuga Mk2 91.77

Lexus NX Mk1 91.66

Peugeot 2008 Mk1 91.45

Hyundai Tucson Mk2 91.34

Volkswagen Golf / Golf SV Mk7 91.26

Peugeot 308 Mk2 91.24

Subaru Outback Mk3 91.18

Skoda Octavia Mk3 91.17

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    As per Maysie's comment, I guess anyone can get a rogue car or have a bad dealer, so sorry to hear that but probably just suffered some bad luck. JD Power and Driver Power customer satisfaction usually find Skoda and Toyota/Lexus at the top of the table for customers satisfaction and ownership satisfaction. Below is the results from the 2017 Auto Express Driver Power Survey for the UK, Lexus RX and Toyota RAV4 are 3rd and 4th respectively: -
    Japanese marques are generally very reliable which is one of the key drivers for customer satisfaction. Having said that, Land Rover usually feature at the bottom of such surveys yet I am on may third so they must have done at least something right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Japanese marques are generally very reliable which is one of the key drivers for customer satisfaction. Having said that, Land Rover usually feature at the bottom of such surveys yet I am on may third so they must have done at least something right for me.
    My 12 month old LR Defender was an unreliable piece of junk.
    I still miss it now.

Much the same for the Discovery 3 which I owned a few years later.
    I still miss it now.

For some reason I still love them though and will probably own another Discovery 5 soon. I think it is an emotional thing, as everything in my logical brain tells me to stay well clear!

Master
    We have a Lexus RX (which sailed through it's MOT with only a windscreen wiper which snapped on the way to the test station and a rear number plate bulb needing work) and a kia ceed which will not die.
    I looked at Outlander PHEV's before buying the RX, the RX is a much better machine with the PHEV's 7 seats being the only real advantage along with better fuel consumption but much poorer performance.
    You would probably be looking at an older RX for an equivalent price but I'd still take the RX (and did)

Craftsman
    I have an PHEV

Its been very reliable and is easy to drive

It does 25 ish miles on the battery then becomes a 32 mpg sloth, real range 250 miles.

The kids complain that the rear seats are not comfortable on long journeys and I find the under leg support poor giving me leg ache over 2 hour journeys. I'm 6ft 3"

BUT is very good for tax (personal and corporate) and we got the OLEV grant.

When mine is due to go back in March '18 I'm getting a Skoda Yeti.

Many thanks to all of you who took the time to reply.

I would prefer the Lexus but as stated I would have to go for a much older car for the same budget.

I guess what I now need to do is go and test drive some.

Thanks again!

Master
    Blog Entries
    My cousin has one, he is retired now and most of his journeys are short, he only ever puts petrol in once a month and that's only for a few longer runs. Real world he gets 30 miles on a single charge, they are not frugal when running on petrol. If you are only doing 10mile at a time I would go for it.