closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Master
    Is relief finding its way to the people now Mark and has rebuilding commenced?

Final update for now.

We have Royal Marines on the ground and chinook helicopters flying around with supplies .

I believe UN are in charge in South Caicos - but not 100 % on this. Other NGO's have now returned having left for Maria and are working in the poorest and most damaged areas.

Definitive stats on the amount of damage and cost are not available yet.

The biggest employer on island - Beaches Resort has laid off workers for 3 months while they carry out repairs.

Restoring power is continuing- there were 500 poles down .

Insurance assessors and loss adjusters have been busy and the government has waived import duty on specific items for 1 month to buy supplies to repair homes.

Landlines and the fiber optic internet cables are still down so we are all racking up bills on mobile data charges.

From a personal point of view my office is physically in good shape - I have to go out in the car park to make calls and check emails. Business is slow as expected.
    My house is in good shape I need new gutters and some repainting due to water damage and I will be taking the boarding down today .
    I have 2 people and a dog living with me who lost their house , we are getting into a routine.
    My wife and kids are staying in the U.K. for now - mostly for financial reasons - they have been offered an almost free place in a small private school walking distance from our London apartment and MrsO is working for the school on a marketing project for them and teaching yoga to the kids .

On the up side most of our tourists are American and they probably don't even know we had a hurricane- other Caribbean destinations have sustained more damage so we may pick up some of that tourist trade eventually.

On the downside hurricane season is not over yet!

Good to hear from you Mark
    Glad to hear that things seem to be moving in the right direction
    Thanks for the reality check
    Best wishes
    Big nose Dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I'll echo Dave's sentiments, good to hear from you. Sounds like you chose your properties well.

Blog Entries
    Good to hear you are starting on the road to recovery…. I hope it all goes well

A shame the resort has to lay off it employees…. What are they to do now?

Most of the workers at Beaches will just not be paid - no welfare state for them as a lot are not Turks Islanders

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Most of the workers at Beaches will just not be paid - no welfare state for them as a lot are not Turks Islanders
    Not good... one of the unpleasant implications of the storms

Master
    Hello Mark, hope it's okay to ask how is the rebuilding and recovery is going.