closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Is the Faith Tabernacle Church a shelter because it's a place of worship or was is built to attempt to withstand hurricanes?
    The main big buildings that can act as shelters are all churches or schools.

Blog Entries
    Since we're discussing important things in life (wine); how's the Seiko?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Since we're discussing important things in life (wine); how's the Seiko?
    Matches my shoes nicely

It is now day 2 after the storm and now I have to board up my business- mood here bit ugly

Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post
    My 70 yr old MIL is refusing to evacuate. Fingers crossed she will just see rain and wind as she's in St Pete (Tampa).

Literally no flights out and the roads are clogged so she wont head north. Wife is beside herself.

Going to be a long few days.
    Our thoughts are with you. Is she still staying put?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    It is now day 2 after the storm and now I have to board up my business- mood here bit ugly
    I cannot imagine what you are experiencing but wish you good luck in a mad natural occurrence.

Is there a National Guard/Troops deployed to patrol streets, or Police to keep order?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Seems to be the main problem in (French) St Martin. Military on the ground are inexperienced 20 yo and they seem to not really know what to do or how to do it. It's turning ugly.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Hurricane Irma

We don't have any National Guard or Army.
    The police commissioner said he was having problems getting officers to turn up to work as they were trying to sort out their own lives.

I heard a horrible story of a teacher who has only been on island 3 weeks and was housed in an old house on the south side.
    She watched the roof lift off the house and climbed into a kitchen cupboard - most of the walls were knocked down and she was lucky to survive.
    The airport is flooded and under water - they are hoping to have it open to commercial traffic in a week.

There has been zero information from government.

From a personal point of view I am very fortunate - no power but we get water 6pm-9pm at the moment. I have a gas cooker so can prepare hot food. My friend (who is the owner of the Pharmacy next to me ) and I have a plan .
    We went shopping and got $600 of groceries- I am going to cook a hot meal once a day for staff and friends .
    I have 2 of her staff move in with me last night - they couldn't go into the block she is housing her staff in as they have a dog.

I only fed 5 last night as it was day one - another good friend came round and I am cooking for his family tomorrow- there is something about having a hot meal that cheers people up.

We also have had zero information or notice of assistance from the UK government- there is no emergency radio broadcast and no cell phone messages- half the cell network is down anyway. I was sitting with a friend yesterday and 2 helicopters flew by ( we don't have helicopters here usually) the excitement was tempered by the fact that they were for the Cell phone provider.

I fear the aftermath of this storm is going to be far reaching and long lasting. One final point for now as it is 4am and I really should try to get some sleep - Hurricane Jose is forecast to easily miss us then has this bizarre track where it turns back around - if it does I may truly be in the shit as I have taken most of the plywood sheets off my house to protect my office and the Pharmacy from looting.

We don't have any National Guard or Army.
    The police commissioner said he was having problems getting officers to turn up to work as they were trying to sort out their own lives.

I heard a horrible story of a teacher who has only been on island 3 weeks and was housed in an old house on the south side.
    She watched the roof lift off the house and climbed into a kitchen cupboard - most of the walls were knocked down and she was lucky to survive.
    The airport is flooded and under water - they are hoping to have it open to commercial traffic in a week.

There has been zero information from government.

From a personal point of view I am very fortunate - no power but we get water 6pm-9pm at the moment. I have a gas cooker so can prepare hot food. My friend (who is the owner of the Pharmacy next to me ) and I have a plan .
    We went shopping and got $600 of groceries- I am going to cook a hot meal once a day for staff and friends .
    I have 2 of her staff move in with me last night - they couldn't go into the block she is housing her staff in as they have a dog.

I only fed 5 last night as it was day one - another good friend came round and I am cooking for his family tomorrow- there is something about having a hot meal that cheers people up.

We also have had zero information or notice of assistance from the UK government- there is no emergency radio broadcast and no cell phone messages- half the cell network is down anyway. I was sitting with a friend yesterday and 2 helicopters flew by ( we don't have helicopters here usually) the excitement was tempered by the fact that they were for the Cell phone provider.

I fear the aftermath of this storm is going to be far reaching and long lasting. One final point for now as it is 4am and I really should try to get some sleep - Hurricane Jose is forecast to easily miss us then has this bizarre track where it turns back around - if it does I may truly be in the shit as I have taken most of the plywood sheets off my house to protect my office and the Pharmacy from looting.
    All the best to everybody on the islands. Hope you don't get hit by another one.

Hurricane Irma

Jose

I'm now in the 5 day cone

Good luck Mark, and thanks for keeping us updated - it sounds like you need some UK troops there to prevent looting.

Thanks for the update Mark, I truly hope that help is on its way and lack of information is just due to the initial shock. Since you have food, medicines and water you just need to find a more or less sustainable power source or conserve as much power as you can for a time being.

As an aside, Barbuda, BVI and T&C are all but disappeared from the news headlines, now we have minute by minute update on Irma approaching Florida.. The latest one is that its 40 miles away, it's all about priorities.

How your doggies are doing, I assume it was pretty scary experience for them as well.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Hurricane Irma

According to the 'authorities', police are patrolling and UK troops are being deployed. Apparently you can just call 911 for help. Sounds like flannel based on what Mark is seeing on the ground. Hope you see some improvement soon. Kudos to you for everything you are doing for your family home and your community.

https://m.facebook.com/RTCIPF/posts/1571849619545130

UK's Hurricane Irma response was not late – Fallon
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41217674

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    According to the 'authorities', police are patrolling and UK troops are being deployed. Apparently you can just call 911 for help. Sounds like flannel based on what Mark is seeing on the ground.
    We can hope, but sadly it is unlikely that Mark will see troops on Provo any time soon given the extraordinary scale of the disaster across such a vast area.

Master
    Good to see you're currently OK and kudos for helping others out

hope you can avoid Jose, all the best

Quick update from Sky News, all times are BST

18:14

More UK troops heading to Caribbean
    Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has chaired another meeting of the Government's emergency COBRA committee on Sunday afternoon.
    Ad the meeting wraps up, it is revealed an extra 200 UK military personnel are being sent to the Caribbean, taking the total number to 700.
    Two Puma helicopters are also now in the region while an A-400M transport aircraft left the UK on Sunday carrying further supplies.
    The main focus of the UK relief effort is the British Virgin Islands.

18:08

Escaped prisoners 'return to jail because they feel safer'
    Hurricane Irma's destructive path through the British Virgin Islands partially destroyed a jail, leading to the escape of between 100-120 prisoners.
    However, Sky Sources now understand many prisoners have returned because they feel safer at the jail than their own homes.

Last edited by VDG; 10th September 2017 at 18:24.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Thanks for the update Mark, our thoughts are with you.

I have a friend in Jacksonville who is expect it to hit this evening. She has only just re-arrived from Bangalore, having spent the last 6 years there. She decided to return because she was struggling to cope with the chaotic live there. Oh the irony. Fortunately the bulk of her things are still in transit so she is living out of case. Fingers crossed for everyone involved.
    Last edited by Andyg; 10th September 2017 at 20:00.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post

Master
    Strangely compelling CNN live from Naples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acap3IrCYYk They are now in the north eye wall and will be in the eye in 20 mins

There is a genuine criticism to the UK response. However, unless you can or able to help in any practical way shape or form, could you just be f quiet. Even if it was a lapse of response/concentration from the current HMG, thank you very much, we'll address/sort it out without your b help. Thank very f much.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Are we even obliged to help?

Undoubtedly the right thing to do and hopefully we'll help after any disaster wherever and whenever we can but can't see Antigua, for example (whose government moaned about our response), has a 'right' to be helped.

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    What a bizarre post. You think that letting the people we pay to do their jobs get away with incompetent cockups is somehow going to inspire them to do them better?
    They will be dealt with J. As always. Not now, but as always 6-8 monthsdown the road. Trust me on this one ;) Keep up with the news..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Are we even obliged to help?

Undoubtedly the right thing to do and hopefully we'll help after any disaster wherever and whenever we can but can't see Antigua, for example (whose government moaned about our response), has a 'right' to be helped.
    Are you for real? Why shouldn't we help our overseas territories?!
    Last edited by VDG; 10th September 2017 at 22:58.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Are you for f real?
    I'd also like to see more aid to Bangladesh - how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'd also like to see more aid to Bangladesh - how about you?
    Absolutely, and many other former colonies/dependent territories. Not words, but practical help including logistics, training/capacity building efforts - it's what we actually very good at.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Absolutely, and many other former colonies/dependent territories. Not words, but practical help including logistics, training/capacity building efforts - it's what we actually very good at.
    Fair enough, but these 'colonies' (AFAIK) have no legal right to a certain level of help, we're doing what we can/think appropriate and their governments should accept this.

These folks are British nationals. You tell me.
    I believe they are, but not taxpayers (again, AFAIK). Bit of an odd one.

We generally don't go out of our way to help British nationals wherever they are in the world.

They are our own, and always will be defended and cared for no matter what. Do not even go there!
    Last edited by VDG; 11th September 2017 at 00:03.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

As a matter of (our own British) law the United Kingdom has the legal responsibility for the defence and foreign relations of her dependent territories.

Not sure why you raise the taxpayer point but I'll leave it to you to explain please.
    So no legal basis for aid then (and nothing to do with them being British nationals).

I raised the taxpayer point because w/o contributing do they have a right to aid? If they do in some other way, fair enough but some Territories are supposed 'tax-havens' (though no doubt those involved are sure to get by ok).

To be clear, I'm not begrudging aid to the needy, just questioning the attitude of some Governments there.

They are our own, and always will be defended and cared for no matter what. Do not even go there!
    'Our own', that's a rather colonialist attitude - why not go there?

NO. Our own as one would give their life for, and so they are. You would not know..
    Last edited by VDG; 11th September 2017 at 00:41.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Hurricane Irma

NO. Our own as one would give their life for, and so they are. You would not know..
    No, why would I?

Hurricane Irma

We are a British Overseas Territory- ultimate control lies with the Uk- we are not an independent country or an ex- colony. The U.K. Government has a responsibility and duty to care for our security.
    Why is there not s standard boiler plate response planned years in advance - hurricanes are not a surprise but a direct hit from a major could have been foreseen and planned for.

Tomorrow I am not going to open my business but instead I am going to act a security guard on the door of the Pharmacy so they can open - police not available , private security too busy , landlord not willing to help but my friend has been ordered to open because the hospital has run out of drugs.
    Last edited by MarkO; 11th September 2017 at 04:15.

On a more personal note my power came back on tonight so as I was able to power my cistern pump -
    10 people came for dinner plus one who just wanted company.

8 people had showers.

Myself and 2 others provided personal data hotspots so everyone got online and caught up.

One is staying the night and one is coming tomorrow fog an afternoon nap .

We then repeat a variation of this tomorrow night and as long as necessary.

I may have provided the venue as the only person with electricity but another helped me cook , 3 people contributed to the cost
    2 others paid for the data usage
    Everyone else helped tidy up - people put 3 loads of washing on .

This sort of community spirit is being repeated in groups round the island - my little set up is not that special .

Troops started arriving yesterday (Saturday) and I expect will initially be concentrating their efforts on the BVI. Tortola has been absolutely trashed and a large number of inmates escaped from prison.

http://www.bviplatinum.com/news.php?articleId=27886
    Residents have told BVI Platinum News that they have recognized some of the inmates and described them as helpful, assisting with clearing debris. Other residents have shared that some prisoners are part of the widespread looting and other criminal activities that are taking place.
    Power is out across Havana and the airport will remain closed until at least late on Monday. The lack of electricity causes a fair few problems but they are a resilient bunch.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 11th September 2017 at 04:52. Reason: Clarification that yesterday means Saturday here.

Nutters, wherever you look:
    World renowned physicist Dr. Michio Kaku made a shocking confession on live TV when he admitted that HAARP is responsible for the recent spate of hurricanes.

In an interview aired by CBS, Dr. Kaku admitted that recent ‘man-made’ hurricanes have been the result of a government weather modification program in which the skies were sprayed with nano particles and storms then “activated” through the use of “lasers”.
    http://yournewswire.com/scientist-haarp-hurricanes/

Just found out that the plywood we used to secure my office and the pharmacy against looting was stolen in broad daylight yesterday.

Been in touch with my son on the Space coast of FL and it looks like the hurricane is heading up the gulf coast now which is awful for the people there but good news for him. That said his power is off and his house is like a dark bunker.

We moan about our climate in temperate areas but at least we don't get tropical hurricanes etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

On a more personal note my power came back on tonight so as I was able to power my cistern pump -
    10 people came for dinner plus one who just wanted company.

8 people had showers.

Myself and 2 others provided personal data hotspots so everyone got online and caught up.

One is staying the night and one is coming tomorrow fog an afternoon nap .

We then repeat a variation of this tomorrow night and as long as necessary.

I may have provided the venue as the only person with electricity but another helped me cook , 3 people contributed to the cost
    2 others paid for the data usage
    Everyone else helped tidy up - people put 3 loads of washing on .

This sort of community spirit is being repeated in groups round the island - my little set up is not that special .
    Glad you're well and its positive to hear how adversity can bring people together.

FYI

The UK government today (Saturday) pledges to double any public donations to the British Red Cross appeal for victims of Hurricane Irma.
    For every £1 given towards the relief effort in the Caribbean, another £1 will be added through the Department for International Development’s Aid Match scheme, up to £3 million...

To donate to the British Red Cross Hurricane Irma appeal visit: www.redcross.org.uk/HurricaneIrma or call 0300 456 4999.
    LINK
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman

There has been very little info on the situation in Turks here in the US news. I stay interested because I was involved in a residential construction project on one of the smaller islands, and have a few friends who now live in Providenciales. I did see a Facebook video update the TCI government put out, with the Governor and the Premier, earlier today and it indicated that the airport has partially opened and power/water are coming back online slowly. https://t.co/L2lPEaS9ii

But, communications remain shattered, there is no contact except by helicopter to some islands, and cell and internet calls don't seem to be getting through. Wishing for the best for you MarkO and all of the folks in TCI as well.
    Last edited by jcm3; 12th September 2017 at 02:33.

Master
    Hope things are starting to settle/calm down a little Mark. Good for you for offering your house up as a small refuge, I'm sure the small things like a shower and hot meal not to mention a little bit of time to decompress mean a great deal to people as well as those out defending their property know their loved ones are in a safer place.

That couple on the boat (on YouTube vid I posted) survived St Maarten and got evac'd to Puerto Rico. Their boat was sunk after another one torpedoed it. They lost everything but will no doubt bounce back.

Best wishes to all.

Craftsman
    Great post from Marko , a great little read

Nice to see that things like this still happen in times of need.

....my little set up is not that special .
    I disagree. It may not be entirely unique but it is very special and I'm sure those benefitting would agree with me.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I disagree. It may not be entirely unique but it is very special and I'm sure those benefitting would agree with me.

All the best.
    Agreed. And the fact that you had the option to stay safe and decided to join them, regardless of the underlying reasons of protecting your properties, will be remembered beyond the people you helped.

As time moves on the extent of damage here on Provo and especially other islands is becoming clearer .
    Latest information from South Caicos is 90% of housing stock damaged 25% destroyed. School is gone .

As the contractors and loss adjusters get to work people are realizing that perhaps it is worse than a few new shingles.

I have heard of quite a few instances where the government here is actively getting in the way of relief efforts including making it difficult for individuals and businesses to bring in vital supplies and even drugs for the pharmacy.

Tensions are still high - the was a machete fight where tarpaulins were being handed out.
    Troops on the ground and Navy support vessel have been mentioned but I've personally not seen any sign.
    Communications are difficult so more details will take a while to trickle out

Not all Cat 5 hurricanes are equal !!

Again a personal note - power is off again and there is no breeze.
    My 2 houseguests have been told they have a home as long as they need it and tonight we had Jamaican Chicken curry , rice , potato salad and as a real treat Saltfish and Ackee.
    I have had at least 10 for dinner each night and some people just come to have a bit of company .
    My good friend the Pharmacist is working wonders with only obstacles not assistance from the government- honestly she deserves a medal.
    As my day job is non- existent at the moment I have become a runner doing minor fetching and carrying so the skilled pharmacy staff can keep on the job.
    I am flying to U.K. Sunday to collect the kids as school is planned to reopen - MrsO is returning as planned at the end of the month.
    It is a stressful time for those that went through the storm - there are a lot of shell shocked faces and genuine PTSD .

it is incredible what you are going through Mark and while its easy to be blase when it flashes past on the 6 oclock news, your postings make it very real. I don honestly know how I would cope if I were in your position right now, not as level headed and pragmatic I suspect. We men are programmed to protect, support and fend for our familys and you are showing incredible fortitude and generosity iin doing just that in impossible circumstances. I wish you and your family all the very best for the months ahead as the process of comprehending the enormity of the loss and beginning the rebuilding process gets underway.