closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

I suppose it might be a few days yet, and he's slightly more to think about than this, but what we need now is for Mark to come back into the thread to let us know how it all went.

On the archipelago of Turks and Caicos, with its population of about 35,000, one witness described a drop in pressure that could be felt in people's chests.

Irma ripped off roofs on the main island, Grand Turk, flooded streets, snapped utility poles and caused a widespread black-out.

Governor John Freeman told the BBC that people in low-lying areas were evacuated and sent to shelters. The islands' highest point is only 50m (163ft).

Virginia Clerveaux, director of the Turks and Caicos Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies, warned that even inland areas could be inundated by the storm surge.

"We are expecting inundation from both rainfall as well as storm surge. And we may not be able to come rescue [residents] in a timely manner."
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    I had to look up 'to pummel' tbh.

Dutch citizens on St Maarten describe the island as a real life Walking Dead decor without the zombies. People are afraid that they get robbed etc. Something I heard about last night but I didn't want to share it at that time. Mark has enough on his mind right now.

Menno

Hurricane Irma doesn’t have to be a disaster:

“It’s a lack of preparedness by residents and other entities that make [hurricanes] a disaster," Clerveaux said at a press conference held on Monday, September 4th, 2017 at the Premier’s Office in Providenciales. "We don’t expect to have a disaster on our hands because we’re expecting residents to play their part.”

Governor supports DDME’s hurricane preparedness efforts:

Commenting ahead of the visits this week, Dr Freeman stated: "With so much potential storm activity already this season, it is vital that we ensure that shelter facilities are equipped and ready for the public to use in the event of an emergency.

"I would like to commend the work of the DDME in preparing for this year’s hurricane season and in raising public awareness of steps that every family can take to ensure their safety at this time.

"I have been reassured by what I have seen of the shelters that I have visited so far. But we cannot be complacent.

"I intend to visit as many shelters as I can during the hurricane season and hope to see the same level of readiness across all the islands.”

Let's hope that their efforts (and Mark's) have proved effective.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    BBC Link: UK increases relief fund:

The announcement...was made by the prime minister as she said the government had responded "swiftly" to the disaster.

But with a complete lack of anticipation, despite the warnings?
    Also published yesterday afternoon, Hundreds Of British Troops Being Flown to Carribean:

In total, around 230 soldiers will leave RAF Brize Norton for the Caribbean today, a combination of both Royal Marines and Royal Engineers.

It is part of a military task group being sent by the UK to the Caribbean.

The move follows criticism that the response to helping British Overseas Territories had been too slow.

What came as good news is that:

The supply ship RFA Mounts Bay has already been deployed to help deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Irma with 40 Royal Marines on board, as well as army engineers and equipment.

RFA Mounts Bay is currently in the British Virgin Islands and yesterday was assisting in Anguila.

The Dutch and French are already there, see link, where it also says: The UK government has deployed RFA Mounts Bay to the area. HMS Ocean is also on the way, but will not reach the Caribbean for at least 10 days.

Blog Entries
    [...] The Dutch and French are already there, see link, where it also says: The UK government has deployed RFA Mounts Bay to the area. HMS Ocean is also on the way, but will not reach the Caribbean for at least 10 days.
    Yep. https://twitter.com/korpsmariniers

Master
    I believe the French and Dutch has permanent military bases on their dependencies and in the case of the French at least directly govern theirs. The UK due to the spread of its territories uses continuous surface ships so they can go to any territory as needed. I think it is normally just a single ship. So I guess it has been sheltering out the way of the hurricane in the first instance.

I was wrong. We, the UK, were prepared, at least to a degree: RFA Mounts Bay:

Commanding Officer, Captain Chris Clarke RFA said, “The crew seek to fulfil a four-tiered mission in the region. The first and foremost is security and reassurance to U.K. Overseas Territories and the wider region. We’re also ready for contingent disaster relief in the case of tropical cyclones or if anything worse were to occur. We will also get involved in support of counter-narcotic operations over the year”.

Capt Clarke further added, “The final thing, which people forget, is we’re also always ready for contingent tasking around the world. If any conflict happens, we’re at five days’ notice to react to that event”.

Given the scale of the events, more help is on its way: HMS Ocean:

Royal Navy fleet flagship HMS Ocean has been diverted from a planned task to provide vital humanitarian aid to Caribbean islands devastated by Hurricane Irma and in the path of Hurricane José.

The helicopter carrier and amphibious assault ship will join Royal Fleet Auxiliary Mounts Bay, providing logistical and medical support.

Blog Entries
    More or less true. The ABC Islands are situated close the the South American mainland. A certain president there mentioned that he would like to annex the ABC's. Over the years, the Royal Marines and Navy already had their bases on the ABCs, but the number of troops on the island is slowly raised over the years. A number of them officially 'fighting the war on drugs' but that wasn't the whole message. In this case, their presence is a big plus.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    I believe the French and Dutch has permanent military bases on their dependencies and in the case of the French at least directly govern theirs. The UK due to the spread of its territories uses continuous surface ships so they can go to any territory as needed. I think it is normally just a single ship. So I guess it has been sheltering out the way of the hurricane in the first instance.
    France doesn't govern St Bart and the French part of St Martin as they have a specific status (Overseas Collectivity) which gives them a significant autonomy. However the 33 Rima (Marine Infantry Regiment) is based across Martinique and Guadeloupe, and 3 Frigates that can be mobilised quickly. However they are short on air transport (1 Panther)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    More or less true. The ABC Islands are situated close the the South American mainland. A certain president there mentioned that he would like to annex the ABC's. Over the years, the Royal Marines and Navy already had their bases on the ABCs, but the number of troops on the island is slowly raised over the years. A number of them officially 'fighting the war on drugs' but that wasn't the whole message. In this case, their presence is a big plus.

Menno
    And then there is the British Army in Belize aka BATSUB.

Also published yesterday afternoon, Hundreds Of British Troops Being Flown to Carribean:

In total, around 230 soldiers will leave RAF Brize Norton for the Caribbean today, a combination of both Royal Marines and Royal Engineers.

It is part of a military task group being sent by the UK to the Caribbean.

The move follows criticism that the response to helping British Overseas Territories had been too slow.

What came as good news is that:

The supply ship RFA Mounts Bay has already been deployed to help deal with the aftermath of Hurricane Irma with 40 Royal Marines on board, as well as army engineers and equipment.

RFA Mounts Bay is currently in the British Virgin Islands and yesterday was assisting in Anguila.

The Dutch and French are already there, see link, where it also says: The UK government has deployed RFA Mounts Bay to the area. HMS Ocean is also on the way, but will not reach the Caribbean for at least 10 days.
    To the people who seem to think the Government are not doing anything:
    Mounts Bay has been deployed for some time loaded with disaster stores on a just in case scenario. She is there to do anti drugs ops as well as disaster relief. Knowing both the ship and the old man I would think she left the direct path of Irma and is now going back to the Islands ( LSDAs are poor sea ships and roll like mad and a floating ship is better than a sunk one). Note that the crew of Bay boats are civilian and they will be in there assisting the marines etc. How people expect us to get people on site quicker is beyond me - parachute them into the centre of Irma? Heavy equipment will have to go by sea - and it takes time to load a ship and get the required staff onboard. The LSDAs are very very capable ships ideal for this scenario, able to dock down and load/ unload at sea, massive flight deck and over a kilometre of space for vehicles.
    Last edited by frogspawn; 8th September 2017 at 13:51.

Just a quick hi - I'm still here and still have a house almost intact.

Took my Dominican friends who stayed with me back downtown and it is like a war zone.
    So many houses damaged - people won't leave damaged houses as they will get robbed and stripped clean. Atmosphere is tense there.

I have heard of several friends with severe damage but information is thin as one of the cell towers came down taking out half of the network.

Mark

Good to know you're safe Mark. Are you through or in the eye?

Glad to hear you are safe Mark
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

That's great news!

Suppose many have been less fortunate than you...?

Excellent news, Mark...that you're OK that is. It even beats:

Hurricanes, floods and now an earthquake and tsunami. Isn't there any good news? There is, but it's in the FNM...link...so it must be true?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Relieved to hear that you're OK Mark. Hope some semblance of normal life on the island isn't too far away - though it looks as though it won't be easy.

Glad to hear you're ok Mark.

Hurricane party

Eerie calm after the storm

Good to know you are alright Mark, keep 'us' updated.

If there is anything I and others can do from here, perhaps a donation to a local charity or a relief fund collecting money for and by local residents, I am sure Eddie will be ok if you post a link here. Look after yourself.

PS just to say that it is still beautiful place just needs a bit of attention ;)
    Last edited by VDG; 8th September 2017 at 17:39.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    So many houses damaged - people won't leave damaged houses as they will get robbed and stripped clean. Atmosphere is tense there
    Glad to hear that both you and your property are OK.

Is a shame that people feel the need to stay with their properties for fear of them being stripped, you'd think that in times like this the community would get together.

Blog Entries
    Great news Mark! Glad you and the people around you (picture) are safe!

That's a relief; good to hear that you're in good order (ish).

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    Glad to hear that both you and your property are OK.

Is a shame that people feel the need to stay with their properties for fear of them being stripped, you'd think that in times like this the community would get together.
    Scum is scum is scum.

Took my Dominican friends who stayed with me back downtown and it is like a war zone.
    So many houses damaged - people won't leave damaged houses as they will get robbed and stripped clean. Atmosphere is tense there.

I have heard of several friends with severe damage but information is thin as one of the cell towers came down taking out half of the network.

Mark
    Really good news Mark, I was telling the wife about your situation just a couple oh hours ago.

A few more "after" pictures would be interesting when you get the time. First priority is family.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

All family is off island at the moment- in the random nature of small communities I am off to the office to get a bag of saline for me and the pharmacist to give an IV to a dog because none of the vets on island want to work today.

That's a relief. I'm keeping in close contact with friends in Cuba, they have taken similar precautions so fingers crossed as it tracks towards them (it will be Havana Club 7 to get them through the night in their case).

Glad you are safe Mark.

Master
    Glad you are unharmed, Mark. The devastation had been hard to watch unfold.

Mark
    Great news Mark.

Stay safe.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I went to check on a friend in Blue Hills who we couldn't raise on the phone- on the road most of the wood telegraph poles that carry the power lines were actually snapped off - 9/10 gone for several miles .
    Here there was a government affordable housing scheme - cheaply made houses that look like they have exploded - one side of the roof is off and the opposite side blown out.
    Total loss - no pictures of this as people were sitting surrounded by a soggy mess of possessions.

It has been 90 f today and 80% humidity- no power so no AC or fans , no water to
    wash.
    I'm on the bed on a towel - wet all over and no relief in sight.
    Hard to imagine how long to get the power on - such a mess to clear up , I think we will be on soonish - maybe a week but other areas will be without power for months as a whole new line of poles have to be put up.

Glad you're safe mark. Thought you were crazy to return but guess not!

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    So, so awful. And now Jose is on the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41199394

Florida knows it's coming...but Irma is keeping them guessing as to quite where: link.

Edit: WP link:

This story will be updated throughout Friday. It was last updated to incorporate the 11 p.m. National Hurricane Center advisory as well as new model information, suggesting Florida’s west coast is most at risk.

Evidently Irma can't read:

courtesy Doug MacGRregor, The (Fort Myers, FL) News-Press
    Last edited by PickleB; 9th September 2017 at 04:47.

Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    To the people who seem to think the Government are not doing anything:
    Mounts Bay has been deployed for some time loaded with disaster stores on a just in case scenario. She is there to do anti drugs ops as well as disaster relief. Knowing both the ship and the old man I would think she left the direct path of Irma and is now going back to the Islands ( LSDAs are poor sea ships and roll like mad and a floating ship is better than a sunk one). Note that the crew of Bay boats are civilian and they will be in there assisting the marines etc. How people expect us to get people on site quicker is beyond me - parachute them into the centre of Irma? Heavy equipment will have to go by sea - and it takes time to load a ship and get the required staff onboard. The LSDAs are very very capable ships ideal for this scenario, able to dock down and load/ unload at sea, massive flight deck and over a kilometre of space for vehicles.
    As it happens I also know an officer on the RFA Mounts Bay. I've not spoken to him about what's going on currently but I spoke with his Mrs last night. Getting out of the way for a while before going back in to help was exactly the right thing to do. His role is more about managing the ship than either the anti-drugs ops or disaster relief but I know he'll be doing his bit so everyone else can do theirs. He'll be wearing either a G-Shock or a rather nice Seamaster.

Master
    Blog Entries
    All family is off island at the moment- in the random nature of small communities I am off to the office to get a bag of saline for me and the pharmacist to give an IV to a dog because none of the vets on island want to work today.
    I know many people will be needing help over the coming days and weeks but it's heartening that there is also compassion and caring to be found for our four legged friends in such times. Hope he/she is ok.

The house of one of my friends...

I posted this before but the issue here is this was supposed to be one of the shelters

Master
    Glad you are ok mark. From the initial photos it looked like you'd all dodged one. But the latter ones show it not the case for some. Hope the Jose does not pile on top of the misery

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    How are you powering the phone and messages Mark?
    I have data on my phone and I have 3 battery back up devices and 4 laptops I can use to charge the phones.

Power is off but have some 75 hr candles and 2 very good flashlights and a ton of batteries.

Apparently the mains water is leaking badly so they are only turning the water on for 2 hrs a day - in between I have filled the bath and use that to flush the toilet.

I am fortunate that my cooker has a gas hob so I can still cook and I'm cooking everything in my freezer.

I have 8 x 5 gallon bottles of drinking water but I have run out of red wine !!!

The house is very hot and stuffy and dark with the boards still on the windows- it is prudent to leave them there until the end of hurricane season once they are up.

The next issue I think will be petrol as I haven't seen an undamaged petrol station yet - the one near me has a generator so could pump petrol if the pumps were still attached but they were blown off their concrete mountings. If I run out I will just walk to the highway and someone will pick me up.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Glad you are ok mark. From the initial photos it looked like you'd all dodged one. But the latter ones show it not the case for some. Hope the Jose does not pile on top of the misery
    I visited a couple of the poorer areas yesterday where houses are often part made of plywood- it is devastation in these areas most buildings have bits missing and a lot of cars have broken windows.

A good friend owns the pharmacy next to my office and I have her Pharmacy technician and friend moving in with me today plus another dog- I already have my 2 and my neighbors 2 dogs - I still have room for a couple more house guests as my wife and children won't be coming back until we have power and the school is fixed.
    The airport is under water at the moment - not the runway but the new terminal building was built with one side open to the elements in the checking hall.

I have data on my phone and I have 3 battery back up devices and 4 laptops I can use to charge the phones.

Power is off but have some 75 hr candles and 2 very good flashlights and a ton of batteries.

Apparently the mains water is leaking badly so they are only turning the water on for 2 hrs a day - in between I have filled the bath and use that to flush the toilet.

I am fortunate that my cooker has a gas hob so I can still cook and I'm cooking everything in my freezer.

I have 8 x 5 gallon bottles of drinking water but I have run out of red wine !!!

The house is very hot and stuffy and dark with the boards still on the windows- it is prudent to leave them there until the end of hurricane season once they are up.

The next issue I think will be petrol as I haven't seen an undamaged petrol station yet - the one near me has a generator so could pump petrol if the pumps were still attached but they were blown off their concrete mountings. If I run out I will just walk to the highway and someone will pick me up.
    Good luck with making the best of a bad situation and you've my sympathy especially on the red wine score.

but I have run out of red wine !!!
    Crikey! Best of luck.

I hope you still have a couple of crates of beer?

Is the Faith Tabernacle Church a shelter because it's a place of worship or was is built to attempt to withstand hurricanes?

Thank God, the cause of hurricanes has now been determined and we can start to do what is required to avoid them going forward.

“The wrath of God against this nation is intense,” Swanson continued. “I wish that American leaders would sit up and pay attention … The Supreme Court of the United States needs to reverse Roe v. Wade and Obergefell now, this afternoon, before Irma does her damage. It would be a good thing if the Supreme Court of the United States understood that God is in control of these things and God is a personality and God is offended by the sins of this nation.”
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/k...-irma-strikes/

Right-wing pastor Rick Joyner joined televangelist and End Times prepper pastor Jim Bakker on his television program yesterday, where they declared that Hurricane Harvey was God’s judgment on the city of Houston and used the devastation wrought by the storm to promote Bakker’s line of survival products.
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/g...nt-on-america/

I don't believe Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. But that is more credible than "climate change."
    https://twitter.com/AnnCoulter/statu...b0354e440fdb68