closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Stay safe man. Keep food and water nearby!

Hurricane Irma

Last edited by MarkO; 6th September 2017 at 13:35.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    How high up are you? Can make a difference these days when you're living above sea level

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    How high up are you? Can make a difference these days when you're living above sea level
    15-20 ft roughly but ridge of higher land between me and the south shore - pretty flat to the north

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Or Delores Uruguay last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lHDVel-NPw
    Bloody Facebook! Can't trust anyone these days!

Tides are above prediction in Puerto Rico...link...click on a station to see the curve.

Edit: Move the map east and see the records for Barbuda...tide and barometer especially (no wind data as it 'failed quality control').
    Last edited by PickleB; 6th September 2017 at 21:56. Reason: insert hyperlink to Barbuda data

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    BBC Link: Barbuda 'barely habitable'

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Bit of a big girls blouse and drama queen me thinks...

Scroll down and watch the third video on that page.
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th September 2017 at 06:06.

Good luck, Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Good luck, Mark.
    Here's hoping that Irma stays offshore. It'll be bad enough if it does, but it may be that is how Puerto Rico escaped the worst that could have happened.

Good luck...

Master
    Yes - good luck to you and all the Caribbean islands - looks like you have a big storm surge coming.

There is a website that shows flooding with the predicted storm surge - not good news .
    Still Cat 5 - I expect winds and rain to build over tomorrow with the main action starting at about 8pm.

This could be an island changing event tomorrow.

It definitely looks like island changing. We used to have a house in St Barts and although news is word of mouth it has been destroyed ( the village St Jean globally). It was wood on a concrete base though.
    The surge is worrying.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Best of luck.

on LBC this morning they were saying it will hit Florida and Miami is expecting 20 foot storm waves

There is a website that shows flooding with the predicted storm surge - not good news .
    Still Cat 5 - I expect winds and rain to build over tomorrow with the main action starting at about 8pm.

This could be an island changing event tomorrow.

The storm surge is just one reason to hope that it stays offshore.

Looking at TC Flood Maps (click and select 'Open in new tab') and the GoogleMap that you posted earlier, you seem to be in the green/grey bit rather than the blue...just. Fingers crossed...
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th September 2017 at 08:09.

Master
    That sailing couple I posted about yesterday survived a wild-experience, hotel they were in suffered extensive damage - they have a video up now if you look at their channel. No news on the boat but I would be surprised if it didn't take on a lot of damage, good luck to them too.

Hope your ok.

I've experienced 70-80 mph wind which is scary enough what it can do

Can't imagine what sustained 150-175 must be like

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    on LBC this morning they were saying it will hit Florida and Miami is expecting 20 foot storm waves
    20ft waves are scary but not something we haven't seen in NW Europe during the winter season. And we are prepared for that. The US cost can not handle 20ft waves. There's no form of defense against the water in Florida. Not on the Atlantic and not on the Gulf Coast. Combined with the rain and the wind... it will cause havoc.

Let's take this house on North Captiva, facing West. (Pic from the internet, can't find my own pic of the house). The only 'defense' is a metal container dug into the sand just outside the shoreline. Perhaps you could say in this case: 'calculated risk' (?) Granted, these are holiday homes. I am sure that the owners are somewhere in the US, sitting high and dry.

I think we're in danger of confusing wave height with storm surge.

Large waves can certainly deliver a battering, but they are measured around the normal level of the tides.

A surge raises the sea level itself. Out in the ocean it may only be tens of centimetres, but when it runs into shallower areas the mass of the water to be moved means that it builds up to become an increase in the water level measured in metres.

If the surge over tops the defences then the rest of the water follows. Waves generally recede quite soon after they have struck. But tsunami waves are a bit special...

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    St. Maarten's capitol Philipsburg is flooded due to the rain. Dutch Royal Marines Commandos *) have landed a few hours ago, just in front of the storm to ensure proper communications after the storm, ensure safety, and provide medical attention. Other Royal Marine ships are just outside the path of the hurricane. These ships are loaded with shelters, food and medics. As soon as the weather allows, they will sail to the islands. Last Saturday, I heard that the Dutch Government stores this sort of material etc on the other Netherlands Antilles Islands: Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao (what we call the ABC Islands).

*) it looks as if these Marines can live up to their motto: 'Quo Patet Orbis' - (As far as the world extends)
    That's impressive. I'm only sorry that the UK's efforts aren't as good (link)...but Foreign Office is are probably tied up thinking about Brexit at the moment.

It seems I will be spending today waiting for the storm to arrive with a massive hangover.
    Played Cards against Humanity , listened to music and sang ( badly) until 3am . My liver says hi.
    The moon shining through the crack in the boards is bothering me.
    Shoot me now or shoot me later - it's all the same to me.

By the way the wind and rain arrived in the time it took for me to type this !
    But on the up side the moon had gone.
    Going back to (drunken) sleep now

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    That's impressive. I'm only sorry that the UK's efforts aren't as good (link)...but Foreign Office is are probably tied up thinking about Brexit at the moment.
    The Dutch Prime Minister talked to the press this morning: no casualties, but a lot of damage. The harbour and the airport are in ruins as well. The Navy ships have to maneuver very gentle because the seabed is changed! It's not longer 'as on the maps'. The Dutch government is setting up an 'air bridge' between the The Netherlands -> the ABC islands -> the "TripleS" Island (St. Maarten, Saba, St Eustatius). 'TripleS' is what we learn at school. First job for the members of the Engineers Corps that came with the Marines Commandos is to clear the airport.

First footage taken from a Navy recon heli that was deployed from HMS Zeeland. The derbi on the roads causes a lot of damage to car tyres. It's not as if you're able to drive your truck to another part of town. And then there's José... the next storm, scheduled for Saturday.

On a personal note: friends of mine are going for a tour around the world in/on their 45" yacht. Luckily, they already decided to cross the ocean late November. They're heading for the Carib from Cabo Verde.
    Last edited by thieuster; 7th September 2017 at 11:11.

Red face

Link:

Theresa May and France’s President Macron talked on the phone this morning about seeking a joint response to Irma, Downing Street has said.

The chat had been pre-arranged, but “given what has happened overnight the conversation focused quite significantly on Hurricane Irma”, May’s spokesman said.

He told reporters: “The PM updated the president on our response, noting that DfID humanitarian advisers had already deployed to the region to carry out damage assessments and provide humanitarian support.”

They'd never make it in the Scouts...

It is 8am here and we have had a couple of windy and rainy moments.
    The wind will build to a peak over the next 12 hours then drop back down over the following 12 - so it should be over in 24 hrs.

I have heard they are turning off the mains water supply at 12 noon - that probably means the power will be turned off at the same time.

After Ike power was off for 7 days. Who knows this time , but I expect to be out of communication for a while.

It is 8am here and we have had a couple of windy and rainy moments.
    The wind will build to a peak over the next 12 hours then drop back down over the following 12 - so it should be over in 24 hrs.

I have heard they are turning off the mains water supply at 12 noon - that probably means the power will be turned off at the same time.

After Ike power was off for 7 days. Who knows this time , but I expect to be out of communication for a while.
    Best of luck, and do let us know that you are well! Keeping fingers crossed for you and all islanders.

Hope the hangover is better...stay sober for a while. Hope it's not too bad.

Here's a link to a composite radar picture (from Barbados Weather).

Edit: I just caught the BBC News channel's weather forecast on TV. Guess where was headlining...Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. Not in a good way, but nothing you haven't already heard. It's also on the BBC Weather website as 'UK Forecast Video' (last updated 12:49 BST, Thursday 7 SEP), until it is updated once again, I suppose.
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th September 2017 at 15:06.

Storm surge videos:

Apparently the difference between a tsunami and a storm surge is what causes them: Tsunamis and storm surges.

A few before pictures of the beach this morning.

Master
    The forecast does not look good,take care and good luck to you.

My 70 yr old MIL is refusing to evacuate. Fingers crossed she will just see rain and wind as she's in St Pete (Tampa).

Literally no flights out and the roads are clogged so she wont head north. Wife is beside herself.

Going to be a long few days.

A few before pictures of the beach this morning.

Looks like the wind is picking up already. Stay safe Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post
    My 70 yr old MIL is refusing to evacuate. Fingers crossed she will just see rain and wind as she's in St Pete (Tampa).

Literally no flights out and the roads are clogged so she wont head north. Wife is beside herself.

Going to be a long few days.
    St Petersbourg could be quite exposed. Sorry for your wife.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Stay safe MarkO, hope you get through this OK
    We got married just down the road from you at the Beaches resort in 2005, we had a minor storm at the time which was scary enough, I can't imagine how Irma compares

all the best

"DDME further advises as at 1:00pm, a NATIONAL SHUTDOWN has been declared for the Turks and Caicos. All residents and tourists are instructed to stay in doors."

Ok then !

Blog Entries
    "DDME further advises as at 1:00pm, a NATIONAL SHUTDOWN has been declared for the Turks and Caicos. All residents and tourists are instructed to stay in doors."

Ok then !
    Here we go then! Stay safe.

Menno

I don't dare to think what the beach will look like tomorrow...

All the best, and good luck!
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Ok then !
    This amateur weather station...link...is still online. If the power goes off then it may disappear...if the winds haven't wrecked before then.

It's on Providenciales at 21.765 -72.218. I'm not sure how accurate it can be, but the pressure is on it's way down and once it gets toward 950 it'll be getting serious.

Keep safe...
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th September 2017 at 19:26. Reason: amend typo...substitute 'online' for 'offline' :-)

Take care Mark, stay safe, stay well inside, and do not take any chances.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Blog Entries
    This amateur weather station...link...is still offline online. If the power goes off then it may disappear...if the winds haven't wrecked before then.

It's on Providenciales at 21.765 -72.218. I'm not sure how accurate it can be, but the pressure is on it's way down and once it gets toward 950 it'll be getting serious.

Keep safe...
    Fixed it for you. Apart from that: great find! I will visit this pretty often this night I think.
    In a way it's a strange thing: you meet a guy on an internet forum, we 'talk' for years without seeing each other and now we all anxiously wait how he will survive this apocalyptic adventure.

BBC Link: UK increases relief fund:

The announcement...was made by the prime minister as she said the government had responded "swiftly" to the disaster.

But with a complete lack of anticipation, despite the warnings?

Master
    BBC Link: UK increases relief fund:

The announcement...was made by the prime minister as she said the government had responded "swiftly" to the disaster.

But with a complete lack of anticipation, despite the warnings?
    They're still 'swiftly' trying to arrange help for the victims of the Grenfell fire

I did not want to post it here, but here it goes, I find it's absolutely astonishing and utterly shameful that HMG/Commonwealth did not move close by any assets which can assist stricken island nations in SAR, evacuation and casualties treatment ahead of Irma making landfall in ANU/BBQ.. It's not like it happened out of the blue and they did not see it coming. Just shows that no amount of bleating and virtue signalling can cover up real attitude to its former colonies. Utter disgrace.
    Last edited by VDG; 7th September 2017 at 20:29.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    This amateur weather station...link...is still online. If the power goes off then it may disappear...if the winds haven't wrecked before then.

Keep safe...
    Not sure it is working now. This one is ok https://www.wunderground.com/persona...d?ID=IPINECAY2

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    I did not want to post it here, but here it goes, I find it's absolutely astonishing and utterly shameful that HMG/Commonwealth did not move close by any assets which can assist stricken island nations in SAR, evacuation and casualties treatment ahead of Irma making landfall in ANU/BBQ.. It's not like it happened out of the blue and they did not see it coming. Just shows that no amount of bleating and virtue signalling can cover up real attitude to its former colonies. Utter disgrace.
    The reality is HMG have naff all to offer. A complete disgrace.

Say what you like about the USA, but they rally and excel in such situations.

They did this time, having learned after Katrina where they failed with utter contempt to the blacks and scant regard for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Not sure it is working now. This one is ok https://www.wunderground.com/persona...d?ID=IPINECAY2

It looks to me as though they've all stopped updating now. That one finished just under an hour ago with 30 mph winds and rising, pressure at 993 hPA and falling. The satellite pictures show the eye just south of the main Caicos island and heading straight for Providenciales. See link.

Edit: If this site (link) is to be believed, Providenciales International Airport is reporting 56 mph wind and 996 hPa.

And then, try this link...open layers (top left) and click on GOES-16 Infrared Satellite.

Update: PIA is now reported as 70 mpg wind and 990 hPa. Who knows what's next...?

Hours later: Looking on the net I conclude that the airport data was derived from a model by the website. It seems that real observations ended on 6 September.

The eye of Irma passed south of Providenciales (just) and is tracking up between the Bahamas and Cuba (link).
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th September 2017 at 06:55.

Link:

"BULLETIN
    Hurricane Irma Intermediate Advisory Number 35A
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
    800 PM EDT Thu Sep 07 2017

...IRMA PUMMELING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS..."

Last edited by PickleB; 8th September 2017 at 06:29. Reason: amend hyperlink to archived version of 35A

Blog Entries
    Link:

"BULLETIN
    Hurricane Irma Intermediate Advisory Number 35A
    NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL112017
    800 PM EDT Thu Sep 07 2017

...IRMA PUMMELING THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS..."

Oh blimey….