closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: iPhone 8 yay or nay?

Going off on a tangent, Apple have started automatically upgrading their HD movies to 4K HDR.

I've not normally been one for purchasing my movies from iTunes, as they've been expensive for what they are (compared to Blu Ray), but they start to look like quite good value at £6-£8 for older titles. (I realise they won't be as good as UHD Blu, but I find streamed 4K e.g. Netflix/Amazon to be quite impressive.

(Plus iPads get 1080p with HDR, which is a nice improvement on normal HD)

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Going off on a tangent, Apple have started automatically upgrading their HD movies to 4K HDR.

I've not normally been one for purchasing my movies from iTunes, as they've been expensive for what they are (compared to Blu Ray), but they start to look like quite good value at £6-£8 for older titles. (I realise they won't be as good as UHD Blu, but I find streamed 4K e.g. Netflix/Amazon to be quite impressive.

(Plus iPads get 1080p with HDR, which is a nice improvement on normal HD)
    I’ve ordered a 4K Apple TV for this reason. There aren’t many 4K movies yet but I’m sure the list will expand.

This is the best list I’ve found so far:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1422...vies-on-itunes

Side note: I used drag and drop in iOS 11 to put the list in this post.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is 4K stream only?

If not how big is a iTunes 4K movie?

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Is 4K stream only?

I guess we don't know yet, as it's not included in the iTunes info.

The HDR 1080p version of War Dogs that I downloaded to my iPad was just over 6GB (cf 4.75 for the no. HDR). 4K is going to be a fair bit more (8 to 10GB?).

A slight aside but if you buy a 4K TV spend a bit more and get a player as well - 4K streaming is fine but you only get the best from your TV from Discs - I watched Blade Runner 4K last night and it was like I'd never seen it before...

It's ironic that my eyesight seems to be on an almost exact downward curve as the quality of tv pictures improve! I have a 60'' tv and I've sworn by blu ray for years, but having recently decided to revert to the most basic sky package (with hardly any HD channels apart from the terrestrial ones like the BBC) I find I'm quite happy with vanilla tv for most things. I also bought a new blu ray player recently which seems to upscale the few dvds I own to a very acceptable picture quality where in the past I thought they looked awful on a large screen. Give it 10 years and we'll all be wondering how we all coped with horrible grainy 4K when the inevitable replacement rolls around - but isn't it story and good acting that makes the best tv or film entertainment? I think we're in danger of admiring the picture and forgetting about the content!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    A slight aside but if you buy a 4K TV spend a bit more and get a player as well - 4K streaming is fine but you only get the best from your TV from Discs - I watched Blade Runner 4K last night and it was like I'd never seen it before...
    I agree, something like Planet Earth 2 UHD Blu on an OLED display is fantastic. However, I'm not convinced (to my eyes at least) that streamed UHD is as far behind as the cinephiles make out - and I'm quite fussy about picture quality. Something like The Grand Tour on Amazon looked very, very good indeed.

I'm going to be interested to see how Apple TV works i.e. how effective the buffering is. I suspect people with poor internet speeds may find it a bit lacking.

I think I'll still buy my favourite movies on disc, but for 6 quid or so, I think Apple UHD may well represent pretty good value for stuff I'm not as bothered about. Also, it makes Sky and Amazon 4K movies look extremely expensive - and they're probably going to have to respond.
    Last edited by robcat; 16th September 2017 at 16:33.

I agree, something like Planet Earth 2 UHD Blu on an OLED display is fantastic. However, I'm not convinced (to my eyes at least) that streamed UHD is as far behind as the cinephiles make out - and I'm quite fussy about picture quality. Something like The Grand Tour on Amazon looked very, very good indeed.
    I'd agree with that - for some reason, Amazon 4k looks better to me than Netflix (maybe the codec they use?) - most stuff I'm happy to stream but a few things like Blade Runner I'm happy to pay for (ET and Close Encounters as well...)

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I'd agree with that - for some reason, Amazon 4k looks better to me than Netflix (maybe the codec they use?) - most stuff I'm happy to stream but a few things like Blade Runner I'm happy to pay for (ET and Close Encounters as well...)
    I think a lot of it varies from programme to programme, and both Netflix and Amazon have some stuff that looks better than others.

They’re all h265 codec (I think), but there’s some variation in which 4K content is HDR on both Netflix and Amazon. Also with HDR there’s a variation in what effect they are going for. Sometimes they go for maximum “pop” eg The Grand Tour, but it’s not necessarily that realistic, and wouldn’t suit a movie. Other times, it’s used a bit more subtly eg The OA.

In theory, the Dolby Vision stuff can be better than HDR10, but again I think it’s more down to the effect they are going for. TGT isn’t Dolby iirc.

As as I said though, I’ve been pretty impressed with streamed 4K. You definitely need decent internet connection though. We get about 40 mb, which mostly seems ok for streaming 4K, but everything else slows down if we’re watching, and occasionally it drops resolution. I think it would be much more consistent with the 80mb+ that some people get.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^

What I genuinely don't understand is that people invest a ton in 4K TV's, but, then listen to them on thin tinpot speakers…. I can't stand listening to bad sound on Telly's

The picture quality bothers me far less and I rarely take the effort to download stuff in HD even!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    ^^^^^

What I genuinely don't understand is that people invest a ton in 4K TV's, but, then listen to them on thin tinpot speakers…. I can't stand listening to bad sound on Telly's

The picture quality bothers me far less and I rarely take the effort to download stuff in HD even!
    I guess it’s personal preference. I really appreciate a good picture, although I don’t obsessively look for compression artefacts etc - that’s a hiding to nothing. There’s no way I’d be happy with SD on anything bigger than a 40” tv.

Funnily enough, I’m probably less concerned about sound quality - I use an under the TV sound bar, as built in speakers sound horribly thin, but I haven’t gone for the full surround setup.

I guess it’s personal preference. I really appreciate a good picture, although I don’t obsessively look for compression artefacts etc - that’s a hiding to nothing. There’s no way I’d be happy with SD on anything bigger than a 40” tv.

Funnily enough, I’m probably less concerned about sound quality - I use an under the TV sound bar, as built in speakers sound horribly thin, but I haven’t gone for the full surround setup.

Yes - one of the consequences of going 4K is that SD shows look like they are out of focus...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like listening with a good pair of headphones through my onkyo. Feel more immersed in the film.

It's funny that a lot of high quality content that looks amazing originates from a 2k file shot on an Arri Alexa or a Sony F35 (HD) Not all 4K content is created equal! Im going to stick with HD for a while yet as at 40in and my current viewing distance the gains will minimal compared to the variances in broadcast/streaming quality.

I work in the photography/moving image world and have sat in many an edit suite and use an Eizo CG class graphics monitor for work so quality is important to me but I'm going to wait until the majority of broadcast is 4K and the standards sort themselves out.

Unhappy

I don't understand Apple's naming decisions! The '7s' became the '8', I assume because the '8' is more than just a 'bit' better than the '7'? But why skip an Apple 9 and go straight to a 'X'?

OR... will we still be getting an Apple 9, 10, 11 etc. in the future and advances on the 'X' (XX / XXX)? :)

Nerd hat off now.

Possibly to emphasise the 10th anniversary?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post

Just to provide a bit more info.

I downloaded Goodfellas to my iPad, and the 1080p HDR file was nearly 19GB, so the 4K file will be massive!

This implies two things; the quality of Apple's 4K should be quite good, and people with slow internet are going to find it a little unusable.

Just to provide a bit more info.

I downloaded Goodfellas to my iPad, and the 1080p HDR file was nearly 19GB, so the 4K file will be massive!

This implies two things; the quality of Apple's 4K should be quite good, and people with slow internet are going to find it a little unusable.
    This seems to vindicate my decision to spend the extra £20 for the 64GB Apple TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    This seems to vindicate my decision to spend the extra £20 for the 64GB Apple TV.
    Although there's some confusion over whether the headline storage is actually used for buffering, or just apps. If it's just app storage, it won't make any difference.

Cool

I've decided to skip this year's releases completely and upgrade my '6' 128gb for a '7 plus' 256gb. :)

Buying the mint 7 plus ( few months old) for £550 from AV forums. Feel much more sensible now. Even the 8 plus 256gb would have cost almost £1,000.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Currently still on 6 but I fancy an upgrade to a waterproof one. Would love one in magma red for personal use..
    Nay.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Nay.
    He he somehow I knew you'd say this ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri