closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 8 yay or nay?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpsz008 View Post
    Been with Apple for a while, typically swapping every 2 years & the deterioration of my 6S seems significantly faster than previous incarnations.

Last time around I was concerned about the pain to get out of itunes etc... but whatsapp, Spotify & Netflix have resolved that, so I'll me moving away in the not to distant future.
    If you still have the 6s, check if it is eligible for a free battery change - early units were faulty. Both mine and my wife's were so, so the 'cost' of being without the phone for a week, we have new batteries in the, so will easily last 3 years.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Sorry chum, thought it was an open forum, as for durability my current Android is also 3+ years old with no problems, as to Apple vs Android os surely that's personal preference?
    It is an open forum, however if someone asked "New Seiko, Yay or Nay" then someone asking about the cost of manufacture and saying he had switched to Longines years ago is not relevant. I'd like to know cost to make of iPhone vs Pixel, if you happen to know.

Android vs iOS is extremely personal, if you want Android you have loads of choice, if you want iOS them Apple it is

Glad you are still using an old Android, unusual IME but if you are happy then good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    It is an open forum, however if someone asked "New Seiko, Yay or Nay" then someone asking about the cost of manufacture and saying he had switched to Longines years ago is not relevant. I'd like to know cost to make of iPhone vs Pixel, if you happen to know.

Android vs iOS is extremely personal, if you want Android you have loads of choice, if you want iOS them Apple it is

Glad you are still using an old Android, unusual IME but if you are happy then good for you.
    Thank you for you ''good wishes'' re my 'old android ' I feel almost vindicated, by your generosity.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    I'll stick to my usual plan of staying three iphones down from the latest release, so next up for me will be a 6s...
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

My son and I ran htc one m8's for nearly 3 years and both had various annoying issues with weird gremlins that over time led us both to decide giving Apple a try (the last Apple phone I'd used was a 4 which I loved). Anyhow, 6 months ago I bought us both 128gb iPhone 7's and we both find them very slick and easy to use (I should point out he's a teenager and I'm in my late 40's so we use them very differently). Even though they're expensive, if you keep them for 2 or 3 years, use them as your camera, internet access device, etc etc I genuinely think on a 'cost per use' basis they're not a ludicrous price. I don't ever use a home laptop or pc, haven't bought a camera in years, or a video camera, my son uses his for games and all manner of social media - and when we get bored we pass one onto my wife (who is quite happy with an old phone - they all get scratched to pieces by her keys in the bottom of her handbag!) - and we sell one for a reasonable amount of money. I won't bother upgrading to the 8 or the X, all the new features are 'so what?' Imho - but give it a couple more years and I'll revisit.
    All the android vs Apple nonsense has been boring for years, another example of the snobby nonsense we seem to enjoy in the Uk. If you don't like something, don't buy it - simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Had the 7 for 2 years and its been faultless. Cant see anything in the 8 that would make me want to upgrade. If the 7 dies then probably.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I'll stick to my usual plan of staying three iphones down from the latest release, so next up for me will be a 6s...
    I think that's quite wise; I almost bought a secondhand Iphone 5 from SC a few months ago but couldn't really see that the upgrade would add any value.

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Had the 7 for 2 years and its been faultless. Cant see anything in the 8 that would make me want to upgrade. If the 7 dies then probably.
    It only came out last September?

I do wonder whether we've reached "Peak Apple", and things are going to turn. They've got a surprising amount of goodwill for a large corporation, and question whether that is going to get eroded. I know a lot of people don't like them, but if you're vaguely pro-Apple, you can't argue with their customer service, products and general brand image. (Although the first few sections of the keynote from the other day were some of the worst drippy, sugary, American bollocks I've ever witnessd - do they really believe they're doing it all for the good of society?? I've heard some corporate bull**t in my day, but that was beyond parody).

I think Apple are under pressure to maintain growth and profits, and are making the classic move of increasing the prices their current customers are paying. When I look at my 2014 receipt for my iPhone 6, it was £629 (middle storage option), and I got £300-odd for it a year later, making the cost of ownership under £300 - I consider that decent value for money for something I use a lot. If I buy an X (256gb) at £1149, and get £500-600(maybe??) a year later, the cost of ownership will be double that. Even if I do go for it (which TBF I probably will), I just don't think I'll be happy trading up again in a year. If I keep it for 2 years, I'll probably be happier. I have a fair amount of goodwill for Apple, but that is testing it, and I suspect a lot of other people may well be feeling the same way.

I wonder whether the middle-aged bloke tz-uk demographic is really what drives Apple sales, and I guess there will be 20-something techy types that will always upgrade every year, but I do wonder whether they're going to alienate a good proportion of their regular customers.

[Comparisons to watches/first-world problems etc - goes without saying]

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    An excellent point haha

Master
    Could have sworn I had it for 2 years....... Maybe i'm just special!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I think that's quite wise; I almost bought a secondhand Iphone 5 from SC a few months ago but couldn't really see that the upgrade would add any value.
    Likewise have a pre owned 5s on a sim only contract and it meets my needs

I got a 128GB 7 on the upgrade programme last year (largely because my old phone was 16GB and I kept getting memory full messages).
    The 7 does everything I want in a device and I see no need to upgrade.

Master
    I've just last night got an upgrade to the red 128gb iphone 7 as decided i really didn't want to pay any more than i was for my 64gb 6s. Managed to save a few quid a month rather than increasing the bill which i surely would've done to get the 8.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    I've just last night got an upgrade to the red 128gb iphone 7 as decided i really didn't want to pay any more than i was for my 64gb 6s. Managed to save a few quid a month rather than increasing the bill which i surely would've done to get the 8.
    Did the same, got a red 7 plus 128gb for £10 a month less than my SE, just having to pay £20 for the phone.

I just don't get the excitement in new phones, recent ones are so good, it's all a bit meh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    I do wonder whether we've reached "Peak Apple", and things are going to turn. They've got a surprising amount of goodwill for a large corporation, and question whether that is going to get eroded. I know a lot of people don't like them, but if you're vaguely pro-Apple, you can't argue with their customer service, products and general brand image. (Although the first few sections of the keynote from the other day were some of the worst drippy, sugary, American bollocks I've ever witnessd - do they really believe they're doing it all for the good of society?? I've heard some corporate bull**t in my day, but that was beyond parody).

I think Apple are under pressure to maintain growth and profits, and are making the classic move of increasing the prices their current customers are paying. When I look at my 2014 receipt for my iPhone 6, it was £629 (middle storage option), and I got £300-odd for it a year later, making the cost of ownership under £300 - I consider that decent value for money for something I use a lot. If I buy an X (256gb) at £1149, and get £500-600(maybe??) a year later, the cost of ownership will be double that. Even if I do go for it (which TBF I probably will), I just don't think I'll be happy trading up again in a year. If I keep it for 2 years, I'll probably be happier. I have a fair amount of goodwill for Apple, but that is testing it, and I suspect a lot of other people may well be feeling the same way.

I wonder whether the middle-aged bloke tz-uk demographic is really what drives Apple sales, and I guess there will be 20-something techy types that will always upgrade every year, but I do wonder whether they're going to alienate a good proportion of their regular customers.

[Comparisons to watches/first-world problems etc - goes without saying]
    Good points. People who think Apple will always be on an upward curve forget that we once had a catch-all word for a music player; 'Walkman'. And look what happened to that ;)

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Good points. People who think Apple will always be on an upward curve forget that we once had a catch-all word for a music player; 'Walkman'. And look what happened to that ;)
    You don't have to go far with phones either - Nokia. Although appreciate they're back in some form

You don't have to go far with phones either - Nokia. Although appreciate they're back in some form
    Cough, cough Blackberry?

House full of iPhone users here but apart from my eldest son who is a bit dim at times nobody will be getting an 8 or X. If we need new phones then the current 7/7 plus will more than suffice.

Could this be the X that breaks Apple? Wonder what information they've gathered which suggest that punters will flock to a 1k (plus more for accessories) phone.

Comparisons with Nokia and Blackberry are very apt - they both dominated their sectors for a while.

Obviously Apple is a different beast, but wrt phones, there's definitely going to be plateauing of the tech and what people need from a smartphone. (Which is sort of what some are saying in this thread i.e. current phone does what they need). PCs are another example of the tech plateauing and sales dropping when a cheap PC became all most people needed.

Apple have been rationing the incremental increase in spec to keep idiots like me on the yearly upgrade cycle - let's face it, wireless charging and OLED screens are hardly revolutionary - but even that has to end. If I'm being cynical, I'd say the 64GB storage is so that they can double it to 128 next year for the XI.

Master
    Did the same, got a red 7 plus 128gb for £10 a month less than my SE, just having to pay £20 for the phone.

I just don't get the excitement in new phones, recent ones are so good, it's all a bit meh.
    Bllody hell, i thought i'd done well!
    Would have liked the newest and shiniest iteration but really couldn't face the expected price hike. Still, nothing up front for the phone and a decent one left to get rid of makes a happy chap.
    Did you manage to snag that off EE,if you don't mind me asking ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    An excellent policy. You still get a good phone and don't have to pay a car's worth for it

I love Apple everything so I say YAY for iphone 8.

Quote Originally Posted by moorery2001 View Post
    I love Apple everything
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The interesting thing will be how many generations will they keep the home button on their now "second tier" phones?

Like their stingy storage used to be - I predict they will milk the hell out of it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Bllody hell, i thought i'd done well!
    Did you manage to snag that off EE,if you don't mind me asking ?
    Well, at first you're assuming my existing contract wasn't a rip-off, haha it was, big time! That's a more complicated story...

This? Well it was a bit of a cheat. We've been with them for ages so get a loyalty discount. The cheat?...My wife - jointed named on the account - is a postgraduate student so she found a 20% off Unidays code! With that it became a bargain.

Wasn't sure I should get the massive phone to be honest and I know at first it'll seem daft, but I make typos all the time while texting on the smaller SE and always use my phone with two hands, and it was only a couple of quid less a month than the normal sized phone so, why the hell not? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moorery2001 View Post
    I love Apple everything.
    Even crumble with cinnamon?

Master
    Well, at first you're assuming my existing contract wasn't a rip-off, haha it was, big time! That's a more complicated story...

This? Well it was a bit of a cheat. We've been with them for ages so get a loyalty discount. The cheat?...My wife - jointed named on the account - is a postgraduate student so she found a 20% off Unidays code! With that it became a bargain.

Wasn't sure I should get the massive phone to be honest and I know at first it'll seem daft, but I make typos all the time while texting on the smaller SE and always use my phone with two hands, and it was only a couple of quid less a month than the normal sized phone so, why the hell not? :)

- - - Updated - - -

Even crumble with cinnamon?
    Especially with crumble and cinnamon.

Has anyone found any good deals on iPhone 7 ?

I was going to give my dad mine and upgrade but I won't be bothering anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

Think I will be in the same boat, nothing in the 8 that really temps me, hope someone reply’s with a good deal on a 7
    Last edited by Robti; 15th September 2017 at 08:04. Reason: Duplicate post

Apple doesn't appear to be discontinuing the 7, so I don't think they'll be doing any particularly tempting deals on it. It's probably going to be their "mid-range" model (at £549/649!!) for a while.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's going to be loads available in November, as these are the people (myself included) who are more likely to plump for the X.

Banned
    I like the 7, so just taken an upgrade to an 8. Cost to me is £29.99, as I'm on an O2 refresh, so pay a standard monthly amount for the phone and the tariff, which remains the same cost. I accept the phone hardware as an ongoing cost, claimed as such through my business, so it works for me. As I like the form of the 6/7/8, I'm not ready for the X, but may upgrade in time. Arrival is a couple of weeks away.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    I like the 7, so just taken an upgrade to an 8. Cost to me is £29.99, as I'm on an O2 refresh, so pay a standard monthly amount for the phone and the tariff, which remains the same cost. I accept the phone hardware as an ongoing cost, claimed as such through my business, so it works for me. As I like the form of the 6/7/8, I'm not ready for the X, but may upgrade in time. Arrival is a couple of weeks away.
    I am also on o2 refresh, contract has another month to go currently on unlimited text and minutes with3gb data how does that compare to you, also I tried to see what my upgrade options were in myo2 and it said to register for the iPhone 8

Ah it’s okay the 8 shows up now
    Last edited by Robti; 15th September 2017 at 10:19.

Master
    It's a nay from me. There is nothing new that grabs my attention and drives me to spend 700 quid on a new phone. I didn't go to the 7 as I don't have a any wireless headphones and don't want to use an adapter. I'll stick with the 6 or 6s for a while.

Master
    The wife has been on her RCN perks website and they have apples upgrade plan on offer - quite tempted by an 8+, have decided against the X as I'm unwilling to beta test face ID and i'm unconvinced by the swipe home button replacement. Still prefer the money in my pocket but my 6s+'s battery is declining in effectiveness.. decisions, decisions.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    The wife has been on her RCN perks website and they have apples upgrade plan on offer - quite tempted by an 8+, have decided against the X as I'm unwilling to beta test face ID and i'm unconvinced by the swipe home button replacement. Still prefer the money in my pocket but my 6s+'s battery is declining in effectiveness.. decisions, decisions.
    Apple do a battery replacement for £79.95 and also check it is not one of the dodgy batteries that they will replace for free anyway. Been said a couple of times in the thread.

Master
    So, for fun, as I wait the arrival of my 7plus 128gb, I called EE to see what I could have got for an 8 plus.

for the 64gb (vs the 128 7 plus cost upfront and monthly)...
    Upfront £30 more,
    Each month £30

for the 256gb
    Upfront £200 more
    Each month £33 more

Haha, at those prices I've not regrets at all. Even the person on the phone seemed surprised. Lol

Journeyman
    I've decided on a Galaxy Note 8 after seeing the reveal, have swapped between Apple and Samsung on a couple of occasions and don't think the 8 or X do enough for me to switch back.

Master

I managed to get the iphone 7 128gb red edition for £37.99, nothiing up front on EE.
    Have a look on 3, they had some good offers too.

As an aside, I don't find the lack of a headphone socket on the 7 to be any issue at all. Everything I have is Bluetooth capable and I only use the supplied Apple earphones and the supplied adapter is a tiny thing. Massive fuss over nothing imho, and one less hole to get broken or full of fluff!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    As an aside, I don't find the lack of a headphone socket on the 7 to be any issue at all. Everything I have is Bluetooth capable and I only use the supplied Apple earphones and the supplied adapter is a tiny thing. Massive fuss over nothing imho, and one less hole to get broken or full of fluff!

still entirely disagree; I think Apple earphones are awful - sound quality and comfort - and it's far easier to find high quality wire than wireless.

Its interesting that apple has had to chance to remove the jack from iPads, and chosen not to.

still entirely disagree; I think Apple earphones are awful - sound quality and comfort - and it's far easier to find high quality wire than wireless.

Its interesting that apple has had to chance to remove the jack from iPads, and chosen not to.
    But you don't lose any quality with the supplied adapter? Only thing that is an issue is then charging at same time?

For me it doesn't matter as I use BT headphones and occasionally wired if I need to

Master
    But you don't lose any quality with the supplied adapter?
    No, it's not the end of the world, of course, but it is an adaptor and if you also use the headphones / earphones on something else, you have to keep it somewhere. Grab you phone and earphones and then find you've lost the adaptor...well then you can't use it til you replace the adaptor.

In the end my wife has ended up with a pair of good earphones with the adaptor permanently attached for her iPhone, and a separate pair for everything else.

I've yet to find a pair of bluetooth headphones that sound as good as cheaper non-blutetooth, and I think Apple earphones are pants. Like I said, if so marvellous, why keep 3.5mm jacks on iPads?
    Last edited by redsox78; 15th September 2017 at 14:24.

Craftsman

I think that is because space is less of an issue on the ipads. I'm probably way off the mark but I think I read somewhere that removing the jack meant they could add a bigger battery.

Master
    Blog Entries

John Lewis have, I think, £50 off - they are cheaper than Apple for the SE certainly. I think it is an extended guarantee too.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    John Lewis have, I think, £50 off - they are cheaper than Apple for the SE certainly. I think it is an extended guarantee too.
    John Lewis give a two year warranty and a years accidental damage etc is £109 vs the £149 of Apple.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Enda View Post
    I think that is because space is less of an issue on the ipads. I'm probably way off the mark but I think I read somewhere that removing the jack meant they could add a bigger battery.
    I believe they used the space for the taptic engine for the new style home button.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I believe they used the space for the taptic engine for the new style home button.
    I really prefer the new button now. Not sure why they don't use it on the iPads

3 Business only offering the 8 in 64gb at launch, £79 upfront and a tenner a month more than I was paying for the 6S (which annoyingly I lost two weeks ago), which was £46 inc.

Alternatively they offered a 128gb 7 for about the same (£46 inc vat).

Head says take the 7.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Think I will be in the same boat, nothing in the 8 that really temps me, hope someone reply’s with a good deal on a 7
    Check out Mobiles.co.uk

I've always had a policy of buying phones outright, but, I got a a 128gb 7+ for about £250 up front and £28 per month... for 3gb and unlimited calls/ texts

At that level it was a true no brainer... money back through Quidco too

Make sure you sort searches through total cost (as I don't mind put money up front) and you can get some cracking deals

I'll give that a look but he has just bought a monthly SIM so it's a SIM free phone he's after.

I've always skipped an iteration or two of iPhone releases, I've had a 3Gs, a 5 and a 6 over the years. My next device will be a 7 plus, and going from the A8 chip, 1gb RAM, 1810 mAh battery to A10 chip, 3gb RAM and a 2900 mAh battery will be a big and worthwhile upgrade. Once you get behind the upgrade curve you can just ignore the latest and expensive releases, you'll have it all cheaper next time around. I have 3 phones on my account with Vodafone, my wife and daughter have a 5s each, so I'll wait until the "must have" frenzy has died down in January and should get a good deal somewhere for a 7plus and 2 6s.
    F.T.F.A.