closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone 8 yay or nay?

iPhone 8 yay or nay?

Currently still on 6 but I fancy an upgrade to a waterproof one. Would love one in magma red for personal use..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Banned
    Do we know when it's actually released for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by PamFan View Post
    I'm going to adopt the radical approach and wait till it's released before deciding.
    LOL that's a bit controversial innit :))
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Craftsman
    Only bought a 6s this's year after bending my 5 too many times , I think it had six screens and two batteries so decided it was time to retire it

It's mad, I was going to buy a Mac mini today then I saw they have an announcement mid September now I'm going to wait, even though I know it's about the iPhone and that the current Mac will do all I need it to!

Master
    Waste of money if you have any flagship from the past two years. Just my opinion of course.

Buy an umbrella and keep the one you've got.

I am due a new phone after 3 years so may well end up with one. The pain of moving between ecosystems is not worth whatever the difference in cost.

Master
    Looks like the announcement is on September 12th and suggestion that availability could be delayed, but they always say that

Master
    Blog Entries
    How do you milk a sheep? bring out a new iphone

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Looks like the announcement is on September 12th
    That will also be delayed if the new auditorium at campus 2 isn't ready in time for the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    How do you milk a sheep? bring out a new iphone
    Baaaaaa!

I'm afraid to say that my wife and I are complete suckers for Apple kit, so will be getting one soon as we can. I draw the line at queuing outside the Apple Store (although my wife did do this one year).

I've decided to keep the 8 for two years, which makes the expected price rise a little more palatable (but it's going to take a gargantuan amount of willpower to resist the "8s" next year!).

I'm still on my 6, and it genuinely does all I need.

Wireless distance charging would be the killer feature that I would buy for immediately, but apparently that is at least another year away provided it meets safety tests.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Blog Entries

iPhone 8 yay or nay?

Still no actual pictures of this anniversary iPhone 8/x/or just iPhone . In fact I've read it may not even be released on the usual yearly basis and may release early spring next year to commemorate and coincide with date of the release of the first iPhone -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm tempted, i've had my 6 for 3 years and i'll give it to my other half and move on. Looking at it though with the new OS11 it just looks as if its an uprated Apple version of the BB Z10 with the latest software it had which was actually quite good.

Lots of speculation in the usual places about the iPhone 8 Edition which would be the only one I'd consider.

https://9to5mac.com/guides/iphone-8/

I'm on the upgrade programme but will wait to see the cost. My 7 plus has been great, but the option of virtually the same size screen in a smaller phone is tempting...
    Not sure about face recognition instead of touch ID though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Lots of speculation in the usual places about the iPhone 8 Edition which would be the only one I'd consider.
    I'm also one of those who would normally upgrade every time a new iPhone comes out and have owned every version bar the first one. However if the rumours are indeed true that the iPhone 8 will start at USD 1,000, which will translate into near enough the same in GBP once VAT is added, means that I'm thinking of drawing the line at this one unless there really is some killer feature. Also I can't believe that I'll be the only one who will vote with their feet/wallet if this the case and this is where I think Apple is going to possibly suffer. That is if I say no to the iPhone 8 because it's too expensive I'm not going to buy the "not as good" iPhone 7s either and will therefore buy neither and stick with my iPhone 7 for another year.
    Last edited by mactrack; 2nd September 2017 at 18:25.

Quote Originally Posted by mactrack View Post
    I'm also one of those who would normally upgrade every time a new iPhone comes out and have owned every version bar the first one. However if the rumours are indeed true that the iPhone 8 will start at USD 1,000, which will translate into near enough the same in GBP once VAT is added, means that I'm thinking of drawing the line at this one unless there really is some killer feature. Also I can't believe that I'll be the only one who will vote with their feet/wallet if this the case and this is where I don't think Apple is going to possibly suffer. That is if I say no to the iPhone 8 because it's too expensive I'm not going to want the "not as good" iPhone 7s either and will therefore buy neither and stick with my iPhone 7 for another year.
    This is exactly how I feel as well. Additionally I’d also say the Samsung Galaxy S8 seems to be at least technically on par with the iPhone Edition and yet can be picked up for around £550. We’re all used to paying the Apple tax and like most I’m happy to pay a little more so that all my devices integrate seamlessly but I feel Apple may have misjudged things here. The iPhone Edition will be special, of that I have no doubt however I just don’t see many people shelling out their hard earned for the mainstream iPhone 7S when it so obviously will be inferior to its competitors within the same price bracket.

Moved platform from apple to android years ago with no regrets, never quite bought into all the hype of a new phone every year, however it'll be interesting to see the thread devoted to them when the new one appears.

I've been using a waterproof Sony for a few years so don't know what all the fuss is about.
    Last edited by number2; 2nd September 2017 at 17:17.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

iPhone 8 yay or nay?

I've only recently got a 5s - so I guess I will be getting an iPhone 8 around 2023.

Yes the man in the Apple shop did sneer slightly when I tried to buy a new cover this week.

I was still using a 3G in May 2016

Craftsman
    Unless IOS becomes less restrictive, I don't think that I'll ever be switching from Android..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I've been using a waterproof Sony for a few years so don't know what all the fuss is about.
    I've never wanted to go swimming with my iPhone or dropped it down the loo so me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I've never wanted to go swimming with my iPhone or dropped it down the loo so me neither.
    Agreed, though I have had a beer spilt over the phone with no ill effects.

While I can afford it I just can't see the point of an £800-£1000 phone?
    I have a 5se which I like because it's small and has a good camera, if they bring out another version of that then I'll probably get it. They don't actually cost much over the 3 years I keep them, once you factor in the £100-£150 they are worth s/h and with the vat off for my business it's about £100-£120 a year cost of ownership.
    People always want the latest thing though so it will obviously sell well.

Most people I know are saying £1000 for a phone.......... no!

Master
    I have the 6 Plus and will be buying a new one. Just haven't decided between the 7s Plus or the 8.

Master
    I have a 7 plus but I will probably buy another couple of 6s to deal with a couple of other sims ...post 12th sept when the second hand price plummets of course

I've had a 7 for about 6 months and intend to keep it for at least another year. Unless the new version has something game changing (which I doubt very much) I agree £1000 is getting a bit silly for a phone but I think that misses the point. I use mine as a camera, video camera, internet access, Apple Pay, music player, games machine etc - think what you'd pay for all that kit separately 15 years ago and it starts to look almost cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I've had a 7 for about 6 months and intend to keep it for at least another year. Unless the new version has something game changing (which I doubt very much) I agree £1000 is getting a bit silly for a phone but I think that misses the point. I use mine as a camera, video camera, internet access, Apple Pay, music player, games machine etc - think what you'd pay for all that kit separately 15 years ago and it starts to look almost cheap!

But there's many smart phones for less than £200.

That do Apple Pay ?

There's always cheaper stuff out there - look at watches! - but I've tried £200 smartphones and they've frankly been rubbish. I've tried them for my teenage kids - e.g. Various Moto g's - and got tired of returning them when they went wrong after a few months. I've tried android and found it unwieldy and annoying. And the hardware seems to start to fail before any Apple phone I've had. I'm by no means an apple fan boy, but I find their phones effective and reliable. I'm not that bothered by the cost tbh, I just buy the latest one and keep it for 2-3 years

Are you sure its not going to be a 7S?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    That do Apple Pay ?
    Yawn,

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Think it's gonna be a one plus 5 for me at half the price,i moved away from the iPhone years ago on the phone side,still have a Mac,Mac air and ipads,love the way you can just put on what you want with android file transfer 👍

Craftsman
    Got a 6s plus and a 6s here. Considering getting two 8s, but it will depend on the price (missus doesn't use lots of apps or keep music on it so the smallest memory capacity will be fine, I'm the opposite)

Equivalent android phones for half the money? Yep, there are. I hope you're happy with them.

I've switched from android to apple back and forth again umpteen times, things about both annoy me. Last cause of a switch was a Samsung Note 4 that would only stream music over Bluetooth reliably if the screen was kept on. Once screen went off the music cut out at intervals. Two OS updates didn't cure it so got rid of.

Very happy with my iphone 6, which I bought 2nd hand on this forum. Does everything I need very well so can't see the point in changing. When I do it will no doubt be for a used iphone 7 or 8 from this forum. Not really into upgrading for the sake of it. Our MacBook Pro from 2010 is also still going strong and must have at least another 5 years left. I believe in investing my money for my future rather than handing it over to Apple.

Craftsman
    Depends on the price for me, heard it will significantly be going up.... if that's the case I will just get the 7

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I believe in investing my money for my future rather than handing it over to Apple.
    You could do both ways...buy their phone/tablet/whathaveyou AND shares

Quote Originally Posted by Dan83bz View Post
    You could do both ways...buy their phone/tablet/whathaveyou AND shares
    I have 35% of my SIPP in a US tracker so I do own a great deal of Apple shares indirectly. I realise now that I hadn't thought my previous post through. I encourage you all to upgrade, the iphone 8 will be incredible, a whole new experience!

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    That do Apple Pay ?

What's so great about apple pay? (that's not snark - just curious).

Master
    Any dual sim Apple would clinch it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    What's so great about apple pay? (that's not snark - just curious).
    I find Apple Pay pretty useful tbh. It means you can make contactless payments without taking your wallet out with you. Handy if I’ve just been to the gym etc.

Don't think it’s a make or break issue, and wouldn't surprise me if there’s an Android equivalent though.

iPhone 8 yay or nay?

I have no idea of how Google pay works compared to Apple but I find the latter brilliant. Whilst I could relatively easily be convinced that it can be hacked I find the fingerprint system safer than a PIN. The fact that they've removed the £30 limit means I can use it to pay for anything, contactless and with whichever card I choose. Furthermore I receive immediate notification as well which means that should one card be stolen I would know as soon as they use it.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 4th September 2017 at 09:48. Reason: For clarity
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I have no idea of how Google pay works compared to Apple but I find it brilliant. Whilst I could relatively easily convinced that it can be hacked I find the fingerprint system safer than a PIN. The fact that they've removed the £30 limit means I can use it to pay for anything, contactless and with whichever card I choose. Furthermore I receive immediate notification as well which means that should one card be stolen I would know as soon as they use it.
    My Google pay works fine, but requires no fingerprint on my S7. Any finger pressing the home button will activate and authorise it :/

Craftsman
    I needed to upgrade my daughters phone 11 months ago , her old one was playing up and found a deal that gives her an upgrade to the latest iPhone as soon as it comes out.
    She was happy and to be honest saved me a wedge going out for a new phone back then.

Craftsman
    OT i know but the mother in law wants a basic smartphone to replace her old nokia thing so she can use whatsapp to keep intouch with us all when we go abroad, would the 4s suffice ? She is tight and prudent being Scottish and would have a fit at the cost of a refurbed 6s etc

Quote Originally Posted by 2ptjoe View Post
    I needed to upgrade my daughters phone 11 months ago , her old one was playing up and found a deal that gives her an upgrade to the latest iPhone as soon as it comes out.
    She was happy and to be honest saved me a wedge going out for a new phone back then.
    Must have cost a wedge too.

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    OT i know but the mother in law wants a basic smartphone to replace her old nokia thing so she can use whatsapp to keep intouch with us all when we go abroad, would the 4s suffice ? She is tight and prudent being Scottish and would have a fit at the cost of a refurbed 6s etc
    Give her a fit.
    If she recovers she'll be delighted with the 6S and future proofed to a greater extend than with a 4S that is significantly slower, will suffer from battery issues and uses an older, harder to find connector for its charging lead.
    If she doesn't, what can I say...

Sounds like a win-win to me
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Give her a fit.
    If she recovers she'll be delighted with the 6S and future proofed to a greater extend than with a 4S that is significantly slower, will suffer from battery issues and uses an older, harder to find connector for its charging lead.
    If she doesn't, what can I say...

Sounds like a win-win to me
    i tried to but she whinges like a stuck pig ! the old dear has asked me to get her car serviced and mot'd as usual and is getting the bill out for last year to see how much it will be so she does not pay too much. She's minted anyway bless her ! Every time she is under the weather i ask her where she keeps her policies just in case lol