closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Let The Egg Chasing Commence! Rugby Premiership - Thoughts on the Season

Let The Egg Chasing Commence! Rugby Premiership - Thoughts on the Season

Delighted that the rugby is back tonight. With a bit of luck I'll be heading for Gloucester to see Chiefs. I can't believe it's already 3 months since Twickenham and Chiefs have got a big challenge ahead. I think they'll make the play-offs but they need to do better in Europe this year.
    Who's your team and how do think they'll do?

^^^

Then we are on opposite sides of the egg this evening #GLAAAAAWSTER!

Feel like Glaws have recruited well, beefing up the pack with still a couple of players to come in and if Ackermann can get this Glass side playing anything like the Lions side he came from we are in for an exciting season. Our team line up tonight has a very SA edge to it with a big front 5, a mobile back row and two mahoosive centres (the shortest is 6'5") - presumably in an effort to keep Sladey quiet and to try and punch some holes!. Shame Williams is out injured as I whilst I think Billy Burns is a great playmaker, I still feel he's a bit lightweight.

Glaws by a score if we can keep the penalties down, otherwise Steenson will kick us to death!

#AllezLeRugby

Tigers fan here, and think that Glaws got the better of us in the transfer stakes. I've got no idea how we will go, especially since we seem to have prioritised backs over forwards this year. Not the usual Tigers way at all, so we will see.

Since its a post-Lions season we may get some odd results, especially early on, but hard to see beyond Sarries this term. They have recruited really well again, Williams and that huge Aussie lock especially, and also have the happy knack on bringing through their own youngsters too - something I wish we could do.

And good luck to Irish - really hope they stay up....

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    ^^^

Then we are on opposite sides of the egg this evening #GLAAAAAWSTER!

Feel like Glaws have recruited well, beefing up the pack with still a couple of players to come in and if Ackermann can get this Glass side playing anything like the Lions side he came from we are in for an exciting season. Our team line up tonight has a very SA edge to it with a big front 5, a mobile back row and two mahoosive centres (the shortest is 6'5") - presumably in an effort to keep Sladey quiet and to try and punch some holes!. Shame Williams is out injured as I whilst I think Billy Burns is a great playmaker, I still feel he's a bit lightweight.

Glaws by a score if we can keep the penalties down, otherwise Steenson will kick us to death!

#AllezLeRugby

No regrets about the departure of Jonny May then?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    No regrets about the departure of Jonny May then?
    I'm a massive Jonny May supporter, but whilst he can score a try out of nowhere he can also drift in and out of games (although in the last season or so he has been much busier, coming inside to look for the ball more). He's also a bit of a space cadet and apparently quite difficult to play alongside because he doesn't know what he's going to do until he does it, so it's hard to structure around him - when he pulls it off though it's spectacular.

As for big Ed, I think he's exactly what we need - the Glaws pack has been a shadow of what Kingsholm expects for many years and a big beefy pack smashing people all over the park is exactly what the Shed want to see. His leadership alongside Thrush could be invaluable and with new players in Val R-R (who is a beast) and Ryan Ackermann we will hopefully see a pack to be feared.

Craftsman
    I'd love to see the Chiefs do the business again; however I keep thinking that sooner or later other sides will work them out. But it's hard to see beyond Sarries strength in depth.
    On a more mundane level I'd love see Plymouth Albion getting back into the Championship.

What. A. Match!

Good job my little girl was in asleep or I would have screamed the roof off!

Almost did a Glaws of the last couple of years and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, but what character to come back and win. #GlawsFamily

Quins fan here. Lots of fond memories of my dad taking me to the stoop when I was young so felt right to get back into it when I moved to the area. Now on my 2nd year a season ticket holder and loving it!

Still learning the characters in the game so can't comment on individual signings. Sure Nick Evans will be missed on the pitch but hope his influence as a coach will be noticeable on what often seems like a decent team going forward. If we step up defence then we could do something interesting this season, and of course it is great to be back (just scraped in...), on the European card.

Been very up and down the last three years so I am just bracing myself, and not just for some cold afternoons in the south stand!

Master
    For the first time in years not yet ready for the start of the season, and my friends must feel the same as none were bothered about the Twickenham double header. So even missing that today.
    As a Wasps supported. watching them at Sudbury was great, then to Queens Park, out to Wycombe was OK, but now I tend to see them when they visit a London club - shame.
    Sure I will get in to it, as I do not follow football, and the headlines on that (re transfer fees, the players spats, the managers spats) make me even less interested.

Also a Quins fan, looking forward to seeing how Marcus Smith gets on.
    Apparently he is he real deal and is being mentored by Evans.
    I have my first match of the season this afternoon. Very little pre season having been done and now 37 years old!
    Maybe time to hang up my boots!

What. A. Match!

Almost did a Glaws of the last couple of years and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, but what character to come back and win. #GlawsFamily
    Gloucester did well. The ref was their best player!

What. A. Match!

I watched most of the second half, and you're right, it was quite a match - Woodburn's try was something special, but in the end Gloucester deserved their win.

Polishing the crystal ball I predict the top 5.

Saris and Wasps ( these will compete for the final)
    Exeter - they will get close, but I cannot see them winning this year.
    Leicester.
    Bath.

The rest will make up the numbers. Quinn's season is already over. Bad news for Danny Care and Mike Brown me thinks.

A Player to watch out for - Ojo based upon his first half performance against Quinn's.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Irish played like a team that's just been promoted and Saints like one that's just been relegated.

Craftsman
    Quins !

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app

A great start to the season with 50 tries in one weekend.

Great result for Blackadder's Gang yesterday, although they will need to sort their discipline out. You won't win matches playing with 13.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Already shaping up like the battle for the European cup spots is going to be intense!

I am firmly expecting Glaws to improve as the season goes on an Ackermann beds in his way of playing - going to be pretty tight between us, Quins, Saints, Sale, Barf and possibly Newks for those 5 and 6 spots.

Massive game at the Stoop on Saturday then! #GwanGlaws

Another great weekend of rugby with some unexpected results and two great tries from Rokoduguni. I'm not surprised to see Worcester bottom but who would expect to see Newcastle top? I'm looking forward to seeing the Philadelphia game next weekend.

Really enjoyable game between Wasps and Quins and the result keeps Chiefs where they're meant to be!

It's been a funny old start to the season - some teams winning one week and then getting hammered the next.

As for Exeter they have Wasps and then Leicester in the next 2 weeks, so we will have a better idea after that.

I still think top 4
    Last edited by Andyg; 17th September 2017 at 20:24.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    It's been a funny old start to the season - some teams winning one week and then getting hammered the next.

As for Exeter they have Wasps and then Leicester in the next 2 weeks, so we will have a better idea after that.

I still think top 4
    I think Sunday's game could have a big impact on the season, even at this early stage. It gives Chiefs the chance to assert their dominance and open a small lead in the table and it give Wasps the chance for revenge for Twickenham.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I think Sunday's game could have a big impact on the season, even at this early stage. It gives Chiefs the chance to assert their dominance and open a small lead in the table and it give Wasps the chance for revenge for Twickenham.

I was at Twickers for last years final. Exeter simply wanted if more, however this year I think Wasps will up their commitment level. It will be very close, but just for that reason I think Wasps will win.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I was at Twickers for last years final. Exeter simply wanted if more, however this year I think Wasps will up their commitment level. It will be very close, but just for that reason I think Wasps will win.

^^^^^^^^^

correction. Exeter were awesome today.

Exeter, Saris or Wasps - Game on.

What a wonderful start to the season.

Friedrich Nietzsche

^It was much easier than I'd expected and Chiefs were dominant for 2/3 of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    ^It was much easier than I'd expected and Chiefs were dominant for 2/3 of the game.

I think the 30 odd phases of play at the start of the match really helped settle some nerves, plus a giant performance for Slade did no harm.

It will be interesting to see who Eddie selects.

Next weeks Saints Vs Quinn's, Tigers vs the Chiefs, Wasps Vs Bath games are the stand outs, but based on this season so far, anything could happen.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Wasps fan here - we're not playing very well, with a very substantial injury crisis no doubt a significant contributing factor. If we have many more injuries we'll have to start drafting in academy players!