closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SDc 50th Bezel alignment

Master

Thumbs up SDc 50th Bezel alignment

Finally got around to removing the stickers and wearing my new SDc. And something didn't look right. Ah well back to the dealers....

Then one click around

How does it look at 12?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    How does it look at 12?
    Hopefully the same. If not...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    How does it look at 12?
    The same.... the point of the triangle on the bezel is slightly to the right of the dial triangle. Move it one click and it's then slightly to the left....

Master
    Now we know why some dealers insist on removing the stickers.....

That's terrible quality control though and unacceptable at that pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    The same.... the point of the triangle on the bezel is slightly to the right of the dial triangle. Move it one click and it's then slightly to the left....
    I just wondered if it looked worse at 3/9, if its off it needs sorting out, it would drive me insane

Master
    It's really a shame that re-centering these new inserts is such a hassle. I suspect that's the reason why we're seeing so many out of alignment. If it were an easy QC fix on the line they wouldn't be putting them out to the public like this.

Rolex should do better.

Master
    Yep... pretty disappointing after waiting so long too.... but hey, it's under warranty, and nobody died.... 

Last edited by Enoch; 1st September 2017 at 09:10.

Craftsman
    I'm just amazed that someone was brave enough to take the stickers off their SD43

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    This is not the first time we have seen this sort of thing, early examples of the GMTC2 suffered the same thing, back to the dealer I'm afraid . Poor show IMO, think they would have put this sort of thing to bed before now .

I don't mean to hijack this (and agree with all comments above anyway, unacceptable qc but at least it will be readily fixed)... I was surprised how legible the rehaut markings are in your pics, and was wondering whether one should be concerned when revealing a serial number on a public forum?

Genuine question - tbh I can't think why one should be concerned, yet instinctively I feel that I would be.

Any reason why one should, or should not, care?

A disappointingly large amount of the early ceramic models suffered from this..It was one of the reasons l got rid of my ND Sub - other than missing the date.

I'm sure it's sortable, but doing so will not be helped by the cases of AD blindness when confronted with the flaw and the inevitable defensive brand worshippers who will frenziedly argue that it's a non-issue.

Of course, give it a few years and "botched bezel seadwellers" may rank alongside ones with faulty "tropical" dials and Steptoes teeth coloured lume!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this (and agree with all comments above anyway, unacceptable qc but at least it will be readily fixed)... I was surprised how legible the rehaut markings are in your pics, and was wondering whether one should be concerned when revealing a serial number on a public forum?

Genuine question - tbh I can't think why one should be concerned, yet instinctively I feel that I would be.

Any reason why one should, or should not, care?
    Better fake watches use real watch serial numbers. It would be rather hard to sell the one real watch that generated the thousand fake's with the same serial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    A disappointingly large amount of the early ceramic models suffered from this..
    Honestly, I haven't seen any decrease in the frequency of the poorly aligned bezels. There have always been a shocking number. I'm a Rolex guy, but this is QC by consumer and warranty.

Craftsman
    Just read this thread and panicked I know it ain't the same watch but I just took the stickers of my newly acquired deepsea and having purchased it from non AD I held my breath on opening the box, pew everything is in line, how does this happen it must get checked more than once and by different people before it leaves Rolex. Bad form.

Master
    Photos edited to hide serial No....thanks for the heads up

Master
    My bezel is off too. Never worried about it!

Master
    The bezel on my SD43 is slightly off. I'll probably stick it into RSC when I next go on holiday without it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Now we know why some dealers insist on removing the stickers.....

That's terrible quality control though and unacceptable at that pricing.
    second that. Cannot believe how someone could miss this, checking the watch...

Grand Master
    The bezel's slightly out of alignment and I'd be unhappy with that on a watch costing what this costs.

This underlines the sheer stupidity of keeping the stickers on a watch; unless the stickers are removed you cannot be certain the watch doesn't have flaws. The case could be marked or scratched, I can see why dealers insist on removing the stickers in order to meet their responsibility to ensure the watch is in perfect condition at the point of sale.

Anyone who takes a watch from the dealership without fully inspecting it is very unwise in my opinion, the obsession with stickers is plain daft.

Paul

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Anyone who takes a watch from the dealership without fully inspecting it is very unwise in my opinion, the obsession with stickers is plain daft.

Paul
    No one should need to inspect a watch purchased brand new watch from an authorised dealer. I think it's unfair and incorrect to refer to such customers as 'daft'.

Can't remember the last time I removed the packaging from any item and inspected it before popping to the till.

I'm going to have to check mine. I only have a couple of pics of it as its in the safe for now and after consulting a couple of pics it seems it could well be out!

Could just be the angle though.

I'll report back later.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    No one should need to inspect a watch purchased brand new watch from an authorised dealer. I think it's unfair and incorrect to refer to such customers as 'daft'.

Can't remember the last time I removed the packaging from any item and inspected it before popping to the till.
    While no-one should "need" to inspect it, if I had just spent thousands on a watch I would certainly do so. Why wouldn't you?

Simon

Grand Master
    Bit of a shame but all good under Rolex warranty
    RIAC

Master

Well clearly one does need to inspect even a watch purchased from an AD as the post by the OP patently demonstrates. Paul's spot on - daft is an appropriate word for those that dumbly assume that a "brand new" product is guaranteed to be perfect.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    While no-one should "need" to inspect it, if I had just spent thousands on a watch I would certainly do so. Why wouldn't you?

Simon
    I would, but I'm a watch nerd and I'd bet 'regular' buyers don't.

Bought a B&O system recently. Salesperson demonstrated the item in stock, but I didn't get it out of the box, nor did I with a recent Dyson purchase.

My point is valid - no one should need to check anything.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post

Looking at the line from the 12 marker, through the coronet on the rehaut, I'd say it is out. Early teething problems but unacceptable on a watch at this price.

Well, I am happy to report that mine is near enough to not worry. Must have been odd angles on the previous photos. (Apologies for the dust)

My point is valid - no one should need to check anything.
    Agreed. But they would be smart to do so - now, what's the opposite of smart...?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Agreed. But they would be smart to do so - now, what's the opposite of smart...?
    Why do so many people on here just bait and type absolute rubbish? My point is very simple. Buy a high priced item, with an excellent history for quality, from an authorised dealer and you shouldn't need to.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, I am happy to report that mine is near enough to not worry. Must have been odd angles on the previous photos. (Apologies for the dust)

Looks fine to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do so many people on here just bait and type absolute rubbish? My point is very simple. Buy a high priced item, with an excellent history for quality, from an authorised dealer and you shouldn't need to.
    We agree again. It is becoming a habit!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Looks fine to me.

- - - Updated - - -

We agree again. It is becoming a habit!
    I prefer it that way, let's keep it up!

Master
    However, meanwhile in the real world..

You are right, it would be nice, but mistakes will always occur at some point, part and parcel of being human.

Master
    On the forum for a few weeks and knows everything . Radiates contempt for others. Do keep it up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    On the forum for a few weeks and knows everything . Radiates contempt for others. Do keep it up.
    What has time of membership got to do with my interest, understanding, or knowledge? Based on the time you've been a member and the rubbish you spout, I'd suggest you think before citing time here makes any difference whatsoever.

Master
    Waitinglistgate

Stickergate

Warrantycardgate

Bezelgate

When will it end?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Looks fine to me.

Yeah its perfect. Just dusty ;-)

Loving the depth of the numerals on the bezel.

Master
    Yeah its perfect. Just dusty ;-)

Loving the depth of the numerals on the bezel.
    Is your AP hitting SC soon now then?

Apprentice
    Guys I've been studying a few pics of these bezels now and quite a few seem to be out of line. I've just seen one on the Rolex forum which is even weirder. It looks like the triangle IS in line at 12 o clock but out of line at 9 and 7 o clock. It could be the angle of the photos, not sure. Can't believe Rolex could get the spacing on the actual bezel wrong could they? Surely not!!! Either way it looks like there could be a fundamental issue with these bezels. I'm on the list for one and this would definitely be an issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Is your AP hitting SC soon now then?

No, thats still worn on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
    Guys I've been studying a few pics of these bezels now and quite a few seem to be out of line. I've just seen one on the Rolex forum which is even weirder. It looks like the triangle IS in line at 12 o clock but out of line at 9 and 7 o clock. It could be the angle of the photos, not sure. Can't believe Rolex could get the spacing on the actual bezel wrong could they? Surely not!!! Either way it looks like there could be a fundamental issue with these bezels. I'm on the list for one and this would definitely be an issue for me.
    I think all bezels will be made from the same form, the spacing won't change on the markers. A lot of it is purely angle and proximity of the camera lens. A few of the pics I tried to take to highlight the in line 12 marker some of the other markers looked very odd.

Master
    Folks,

Be be careful you are not creating problems that don’t exist.

I am sure that some bezels are out of line; Rolex is a mass produced watch mostly made on machines (like it or not) so it will have QC vagaries. But, at the same time I think the problem should be easy to see with the naked eye in ten seconds. If so return / don’t buy.

If you are having to take photographs to check what your eyes think is OK, I’m not sure you’ll ever be satisfied, because you can’t be sure the camera is right.

Firstly you have to have the camera perfectly centred. Not easy without studio gear.

Next, ALL camera lens combos that can be bought on the high street (so anything bar scientific equipment) have some geometric distortion. It’s guranteed (more so phones). If taking JPEGS most correct this distortion ‘in camera’, RAW processors do it automatically, but the point is no photographer would use his camera to perfectly check geometric alignment on different levels; geometric correct of camera lens combos is not designed to be so accurate.

I’d say yer best bet is your own eyes, and if you have OCD add a ruler. After all, you don’t wear your watch with a camera strapped to your face!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon76 View Post
    I'm just amazed that someone was brave enough to take the stickers off their SD43

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The bezel's slightly out of alignment and I'd be unhappy with that on a watch costing what this costs.

This underlines the sheer stupidity of keeping the stickers on a watch; unless the stickers are removed you cannot be certain the watch doesn't have flaws. The case could be marked or scratched, I can see why dealers insist on removing the stickers in order to meet their responsibility to ensure the watch is in perfect condition at the point of sale.

Paul
    1. Keeping stickers on IS daft.
    2. It’s not a customers responsibility to check something is perfect...I would...but new watches are not ‘sold as seen’, the are sold under retail law and if there is a fault, there is a right to return.

Journeyman
    I honestly have no sympathy for Rolex, and Rolex in particular. The rest of the buying experience isn't good enough, their boxes aren't commensurate with the price and the retail experience over the last couple of years has been, on average, appalling. They can't afford to compromise on quality and mechanical precision, if they lose that, the lose all credibility in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    Folks,

Be be careful you are not creating problems that don’t exist.

I am sure that some bezels are out of line; Rolex is a mass produced watch mostly made on machines (like it or not) so it will have QC vagaries. But, at the same time I think the problem should be easy to see with the naked eye in ten seconds. If so return / don’t buy.

If you are having to take photographs to check what your eyes think is OK, I’m not sure you’ll ever be satisfied, because you can’t be sure the camera is right.

Firstly you have to have the camera perfectly centred. Not easy without studio gear.

Next, ALL camera lens combos that can be bought on the high street (so anything bar scientific equipment) have some geometric distortion. It’s guranteed (more so phones). If taking JPEGS most correct this distortion ‘in camera’, RAW processors do it automatically, but the point is no photographer would use his camera to perfectly check geometric alignment on different levels; geometric correct of camera lens combos is not designed to be so accurate.

I’d say yer best bet is your own eyes, and if you have OCD add a ruler. After all, you don’t wear your watch with a camera strapped to your face!

Precisely - some of these pics are pretty average phone images taken at angles, distortion always occurs before you even factor in the individual's eyesight. Granted that first off is off the others looked fine.

Master
    Just been to colllect it....it's been away 8 weeks, but I'm happy that the bezel is now aligned with the markers...

Master
    Nice it's fixed. Not nice it took two months.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It’s good you got it back,but that’s a long wait.
    if they miss that at QC what else might they miss?

When I bought my IWC a few weeks ago I asked the in house watchmaker to look it over for me while the paperwork was done,he was more than happy to do that.
    I just left the case back sticker on,the sales woman had asked me about markings from NATO straps and I told her just leave the rear sticker on.

Master
    It amazes me a watch this high end and supposedly hitting QC points and inspections can leave the factory with a bezel alignment Seiko would be proud to bodge.

I know some will say "who cares" but isn't it kind of like picking up your new Bentley and the first thing you see is the bonnet out of alignment.

Makes me think they must just do random QC checks rather than every one. If someone is passing that they need sacking from that job.

Master
    8 weeks!

Was it new? Couldn't they just have replaced it with one with the right alignment?