closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Ward New Releases

Christopher Ward New Releases

The new releases from Christopher Ward .

https://www.christopherward.com/watches/new-releases

Finally they got rid of that brand name that more often than not had too much of a presence on the dial!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Some nice ones there. Odd that they are using the new Swiss/Union Flag combined cross logo on some of the watches and the new 'Christopher Ward' sans serif text on others. I wonder what that's about. Isn't that diluting the brand image?

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Isn't that diluting the brand image?
    With the amount of logos they've bashed through in recent years; I think diluting the brand image is the brand image.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    With the amount of logos they've bashed through in recent years; I think diluting the brand image is the brand image.
    Hehe

Nothing says 'Christopher Ward' like:

Definitely a bit funkier and more contemporary- a good move in all ways for then I think. Seems a nice change in direction with those designs

I do like that C9 but £2.5k?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post

It's a tough one, as I really dislike the sans serif text logo(especially with the positioning) so prefer this, but every time I see this logo I can't help but see....

Ah yes. But can Tissot do this?

Craftsman
    I was a little excited at first and thought all new releases wouldn't have the current "Christopher Ward" logo until I reached half way down the page!

Master
    I think the C7 Rapide with Blue face and the orange/blue strap makes quite a nice unusual colour scheme.

Not entirely sure on the font of the numbers, i quite like it but it looks a bit comic-like....

The artist formerly known as 'Christopher Ward'

Like the look of the blue C7 rapide

Blog Entries
    I quite like the Panda dial C7 Rapide Chrono Quartz

z

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    The artist formerly known as 'Christopher Ward'
    Formerly, formerly, known as:

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

I like the C8 Flyer Automatic - not sure about the chronographs - something not right about the numbers...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    It's a tough one, as I really dislike the sans serif text logo(especially with the positioning) so prefer this, but every time I see this logo I can't help but see....

Maybe the similarity is not entirely by accident ;)

The moonphase is quite nice, but the logo lets it down

What's with those huge numbers? Are they getting inspiration from Ball watch co?

That logo has always reminded me of Invader's early work.

However, when used to decorate the movement, it does look rather smart, IMVHO...

There's a special corner of hell reserved for people who put markers for the seconds on the subdial, but omit minute markers from the main dial.

Christopher Ward New Releases

The numbers on all the Rapides are just awful. I think there are still enough design peculiarities across the range to prevent me from ever being interested in owning one...

Simon

Maybe I'm being dumb but how does the new logo represent CW or should I be squinting my eyes a bit more than I currently am?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    However, when used to decorate the movement, it does look rather smart, IMVHO...
    Agreed, it does look rather good.

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Maybe I'm being dumb but how does the new logo represent CW or should I be squinting my eyes a bit more than I currently am?
    The twin cross logo? I read the explanation of the new logo in CW's in-house magazine: It's a combined representation of the Swiss flag and the Union Flag, representing the combination of Christopher Ward and Synergies Horlogères.

Apparently.

Master
    I actually like the logo / symbol, it's not immediately obvious what it means but once you know, it does represent a Swiss movement that fits into an English case. Ok the English bit is not so clear but you get the idea of something Swiss fitting into something at least.

It's an improvement on all their other logo attempts and actually quite modern. The movement using it looks great.

Sadly I can't say I'm particularly keen on any of these releases though.

Master
    That's interesting, I didn't realise their cases are made in England, wonder where they are manufactured.
    Sorry I have no idea if that's the case, for all I know it just means an English company partnering with the Swiss, whoever makes the cases, either way the logo works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I actually like the logo / symbol, it's not immediately obvious what it means but once you know, it does represent a Swiss movement that fits into an English case. Ok the English bit is not so clear but you get the idea of something Swiss fitting into something at least.
    That's interesting, I didn't realise their cases are made in England, wonder where they are manufactured.

Some of these new cases do look very nice indeed, a bit Bremont inspired but certainly nice and sleek.

Master

Some of these new cases do look very nice indeed, a bit Bremont inspired but certainly nice and sleek.
    Sorry I have no idea if that's the case, for all I know it just means an English company partnering with the Swiss, whoever makes the cases, either way the logo works fine for me.

Blog Entries
    Iwht they were manufactured by SH in Switzerland.

The weakness of the logo is illustrated when what it represents only becomes apparent when the logo is presented either in colour (i.e. red and white) or with accompanying explanatory text.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/165315914

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    At least they haven't quite reached the Grand Seiko level of logo multiplicity yet.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    The twin cross logo? I read the explanation of the new logo in CW's in-house magazine: It's a combined representation of the Swiss flag and the Union Flag, representing the combination of Christopher Ward and Synergies Horlogères.
    If you can explain to me where the Union Flag is in that logo, I'd appreciate it. I can't see it.

To me it looks like the Swiss Flag and its reverse, meaning Swiss + non-Swiss.

Or possibly they are big supporters of the Red Cross? Incidentally, someone suggested the logo should be in colour. I don't think the ICRC would allow anyone to put their logo on a watch dial (barring their own special editions that you can buy from their shop at the Red Cross Museum).

I think Mark meant the Saint George's Cross, not the union flag.

And while it's a stretch, I suppose it can be considered as a representation of the Saint George's Cross, although as you point out, that makes it look just like the Red Cross symbol. Oops.

I think acknowledgement is due to Hello Communications for its design efforts on this one.

Master
    This is very nice and the first CW that I like:

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/wa...imited-edition

I think acknowledgement is due to Hello Communications for its design efforts on this one.
    The use of just a logo on the dial is odd. If you see a picture of a watch that you like and it has no brand name on it, how exactly are you supposed to go about finding out anything about it? It looks like a bad design/marketing move to me.

I can't think of any watch companies that have just a logo and no name on the dial, are there any?

Rich.

Master
    Some amazingly literal analysis of the logo going on here, I'd sympathise with the poor graphic designer who had the TZ forum as a client!

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_101 View Post
    The use of just a logo on the dial is odd. If you see a picture of a watch that you like and it has no brand name on it, how exactly are you supposed to go about finding out anything about it? It looks like a bad design/marketing move to me.

I can't think of any watch companies that have just a logo and no name on the dial, are there any?

Rich.
    I suppose it is possible someone could see the watch being worn, and then not be able to track one down to buy it, but more often you'd be seeing it in a picture of the watch in an advert, or on line, or with marketing material attached, and come to know who's logo it is that way. Usually we can't see the brand name on a watch clearly anyway. We just recognise the logos and signature design cues unless we're really close up. In the case of CW I'd actually think it was an advantage not having the name on it, it's a bit cooler having an enigmatic symbol. It's not as if the brand name has so much cachet it adds glamour to the watch as 'Patek Philippe' might, without wishing to be mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I suppose it is possible someone could see the watch being worn, and then not be able to track one down to buy it, but more often you'd be seeing it in a picture of the watch in an advert, or on line, or with marketing material attached, and come to know who's logo it is that way. Usually we can't see the brand name on a watch clearly anyway. We just recognise the logos and signature design cues unless we're really close up. In the case of CW I'd actually think it was an advantage not having the name on it, it's a bit cooler having an enigmatic symbol. It's not as if the brand name has so much cachet it adds glamour to the watch as 'Patek Philippe' might, without wishing to be mean.
    You're exactly right. It's certainly a bold move, but I wish them every success with it.

Rich.

Master
    Sub Dials look too big and, in my opinion, it makes them look squashed together.

Also, make your bloody mind up, Christopher.

Blog Entries
    I meant both. The cross of St. George is part of the Union Flag. :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    If you can explain to me where the Union Flag is in that logo, I'd appreciate it. I can't see it.

To me it looks like the Swiss Flag and its reverse, meaning Swiss + non-Swiss.
    As described by sean, the two crosses in the CW logo apparently represent the Swiss flag and the cross of St. George in the Union Flag.

Master
    Ha. Talk about damning with faint praise...

SGR

I think the one for £3k with the bits of ally from the WW2 hurricane engine puts CW into Bremont territory.

Why can't we just have a decent UK watchmaker (at, say, Omega pricepoint & quality) that doesn't do novelties ?

Master
    Hello! That'll be the cheque, then....

Wouldn't be the first time a comms agency has seen a client coming.

SGR

Master
    Wow, so they've managed to do away with one of the most controversial logos in the watch market and replace it with...

A logo that makes it look like those cheap watches that aren't actually Swiss that have a Swiss logo & something like 'Swiss balance' written somewhere (when they're Chinese quartz watches)

Why didn't they just do an intertwined Cw or something, have some brand ID still but just keep it simple.

The CW logo generator (picture totally stolen from WUS):

They were pretty cool in the beginning.
    Maybe they do drugs.

Blog Entries

And while it's a stretch, I suppose it can be considered as a representation of the Saint George's Cross, although as you point out, that makes it look just like the Red Cross symbol. Oops.

I meant both. The cross of St. George is part of the Union Flag. :-)
    As described by sean, the two crosses in the CW logo apparently represent the Swiss flag and the cross of St. George in the Union Flag.
    The cross of st George is clearly apparent on the Union Flag, but the Swiss flag has no historical connection that I know of to the cross of St George. But I'm open to enlightenment.

Still don't do it for me.

Logo looks like Tissot
    Logo looks like Swiss Army/Victorinox
    Logo looks like a Chinese attempt to appear western

Too many better options out there unfortunately and ones which a) have a bit more character, b) seem a bit better value, c) are more desirable/aspirational and d) would plummet in value like CW seem to do

Master
    More totally confused thinking from the Christopher Ward "design team" I'm afraid.

This new logo is simply pants! (I had to soften the word I first thought of). Not sure why they've done it, or why it only seems to be applied to the sports watches. They seem to be continuing with the Helvetica script on the dress watches - which was another change I didn't like. The new (and possibly temporary) logo, doesn't suggest Christopher Ward and doesn't seem to have any connection with errrm......... anything.............save for a vague hint of a Swiss flag for those who have seen countless other Swiss-associated products and possess impressionable minds.

As for the strap line "Swiss movement - English heart" - surely the movement is the heart of a watch and they already said that was Swiss! English Design/English Spirit/English inspiration/English ....(add Thesaurus entry here....., but please don't try to sell us two hearts!

All this design and marketing "effort" must be costing them money, because inevitably prices have crept up yet again. I'm not sure they are clear where their market lies.

For a company that owes its very existence to marketing, this effort is a shambles and overshadows what may be an acceptable, if somewhat generic, series of watches.
    Last edited by UKMike; 2nd September 2017 at 08:54.