closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi fans. Philip K. Dick season on Channel 4 - starts soon!

Master

Sci-Fi fans. Philip K. Dick season on Channel 4 - starts soon!

Just a heads up if anyone has missed this, it was announced months ago but it starts in September. I saw the trailer again this morning otherwise it would have gone right out of my head.

C4 have commissioned a run of big budget adaptations of ten short stories from Philip K. Dick.
    The line up of screenwriters, producers and of course actors looks fantastic.

Full info here;

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...k0IdONyyzgeiDQ

Looking forward to this.

This looks awesome, thanks for the heads up and noted!

Master
    Thanks for that :-)

I couldn't see any details of a date for starting....

This is very good news!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm looking forward to this series too.

I also saw a film recently but unfortunately can't remember the name. It was based on a Heinlein book where the main character, through the anomalies of time travel, was his own mother, father and killer!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Thanks for that :-)

I couldn't see any details of a date for starting....

No official date yet, it just states September. It isn't in this weeks schedules so likely the week after, I'd bet on the Sunday evening slot (usually filled with a crap movie at the moment).

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...OGRQfiUW2SCdMQ

Thanks for the heads up. I'm a long time fan of PKD and hope they do these stories justice.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I'm looking forward to this series too.

I also saw a film recently but unfortunately can't remember the name. It was based on a Heinlein book where the main character, through the anomalies of time travel, was his own mother, father and killer!
    Predestination starring Ethan Hawke - great film (underrated) and a greater book (well - short story).

Details here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I have it on Blu-Ray, somewhere, I think :-)

Cheers

Mark C

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Predestination starring Ethan Hawke - great film (underrated) and a greater book (well - short story).

Details here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I have it on Blu-Ray, somewhere, I think :-)

Cheers

Mark C
    That's the one!

Thanks

Master
    Yep big Dick fan here too.

I'm hoping this is good but I'm not sure how much of his work is filmable.Scott and Spielberg had the right ideas about how they filmed his work. Staying true to the stories is not alwayd the bedt aporoach.

My three favourite novels are "A Maze of Death" , "Time out of Joint" and "Valis".

The first two are basically "Lost" and "The Truman Show " . The last would be like some bizarre acid version of This is Spinal Tap meets 2001.

Master
    UPDATE:

Starts next Sunday on Channel 4.

Annoyingly they are only giving us 5 episodes over 5 weeks, with the remainder to be screened "sometime in 2018".
    Presumably that's something to do with the Amazon Prime deal, who also have screenings rights. Maybe they get first crack at the full anthology.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    UPDATE:

Starts next Sunday on Channel 4.

Annoyingly they are only giving us 5 episodes over 5 weeks, with the remainder to be screened "sometime in 2018".
    Presumably that's something to do with the Amazon Prime deal, who also have screenings rights. Maybe they get first crack at the full anthology.
    Sunday 17/09/2017 @ 9pm
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I'm quite looking forward to this as well. I'm a big fan of PKD's work.

I think Black Mirror is quite Dickesque.

I hope this is as good as it looks like it going to be.
    So many of his books have already been put to film, it will be interesting to see what channel 4 can do, especially with a shorter format.
    Can't wait.

So what did the team think of the first one?

Thumbs up

Bit rubbish, unfortunately. :( There's probably a reason these short stories haven't been filmed before.

Master
    I really enjoyed the first episode, though I confess I've never read the short story so I have nothing to compare it to.

The next one (The Impossible Planet) is a fave, so I am looking forward to seeing that adaptation.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    Bit rubbish, unfortunately. :( There's probably a reason these short stories haven't been filmed before.
    Unfortunately I agree. tbh I haven't made it to the end of the episode yet.... kind of lost interest half way through. I'm a massive PKD fan, read all of his works. Novels like 'Do Androids Dream...' and 'A Scanner Darkly' are some of the most thought provoking and simply brilliant SciFi you can read (ASD gets me 'there' every time I read it). However I admit I've always found his short stories a bit lacking. I was hoping the tv series would perk up my interest but, so far, it's not working for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Yep big Dick fan here too.
    Phrasing!

I agree. I couldn't finish the episode. Incomprehensible, and i read all the books as a teen and young man.

Master
    I noticed they interspersed with some adds for the new 'Do Androids Dream...' (Bladerunner) film due soon. From the trailers I worry that Bladerunner 2 will sell on action rather than story line :-(

Was like a poor episode of Dr.Who from the 80's... or perhaps a media student's graduation submission....very low budget...all on one set..... it's sci fi so....erm.... the detective drives around in a 70's Ford Granada?? Its not the Sweeney....
    It was poor.... but most of P.K.Dick stuff is unfilmable without big budgets & a great screenwriter to be fair.... currently just finished Counter Clock World, rereading Minority Report & UBIK.

Man in High Castle nothing like book really, nor Bladerunner or We can remember it for you wholesale (total recall).
    Love all his stories but endings often tail off a little disappointingly somehow for me.

Shame about series as i was looking forward to it....still better than interminably dull handmaids tale which won Emmy's in spades ... over GoT? Really?

I worry about Bladerunner too & wish it was left alone... was damn near perfection for me....
    Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Phrasing!
    Technically fans of his are referred to as “Dick Heads” 😉

Red face

I saw a trailer of 'Bladerunner 49' yesterday at the cinema and on the basis that these days they show the best bits in the trailers - it's going to be...

...EPICALLY PANTS (unfortunately)!! :)

Master
    Its got the best Director of Photography on the planet. Possibly the best ever.

Its got a Director who has not made a film below”excellent” in his entire career.

Have hope

Not managed to watch these yet, how did last nights go?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Not managed to watch these yet, how did last nights go?
    Sadly I thought it was dull & pointless. I though the first one was good but the second one was not worth the time spent watching it.

^^^^
    I have to agree....really disappointing! Next weeks looks good though?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Am away for a while so have set the recorder...........doesn't sound promising from the thread so far!

mike

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    Was like a poor episode of Dr.Who from the 80's... or perhaps a media student's graduation submission....very low budget...all on one set..... it's sci fi so....erm.... the detective drives around in a 70's Ford Granada?? Its not the Sweeney....

Actually it was a Ford Consul.

Couldn't quite make it out properly and not that up on Fords so thanks Chris for correcting me. Didn't make it any better though!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Am away for a while so have set the recorder...........doesn't sound promising from the thread so far!

mike
    Ditto this,

Blog Entries

Sci-Fi fans. Philip K. Dick season on Channel 4 - starts soon!

I feel sorry for cinema these days - all the regurgitated films that wreak of classic bile in a saturated , diluted version of its original

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Sorry to hear how poorly the TV series has been received although I don't watch much TV and have not seen the episodes.
    Still,in my teens and early twenties (ie before I got married) I did read quite a bit SF eg Heinlein,Herbert,Niven,Pournelle and Dick,amongst others.
    Sometimes ideas and concepts seem to be less than well rendered,perhaps,in the visual media?
    Having said that,"Bladerunner",IMHO,is a cracking film and maybe better than the book.

Craftsman
    I'm not feeling it so far with this series. Ending of the second one didn't make much sense, it's a miss for me so far but will keep watching as I love his books.

Blog Entries
    I was a little disappointed with episode 1 - but I'll stick with it & see if it turns up any gems.

After all, there isn't much else on worth watching, so I might as well give this a 2nd / 3rd chance.

z

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I thought the first one was poor and the second one dull. Considering the source material and the apparently sizeable budget thrown at these I am suitably disappointed so far. I'll give the next one a go in the hope it's any good.

Master
    Yup this is boring . Cardinal sin

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    Actually it was a Ford Consul.
    But they sounded like V8's. I thought they were Aussie Holden's or some such.

I didn't see a Bladerunner thread, and didn't feel like starting one, but thought some might be interested in the reviews that are now coming in. They are universally excellent. Not sure how trustworthy reviews are nowadays, but 97% positive makes it sound very promising:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blade_runner_2049

I enjoyed the first two, thought they had reason pace and worked ok.

I like the weird decision (in both so far) to do the future as it would have been imagined in the early 80s. Gives it a little something.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I noticed they interspersed with some adds for the new 'Do Androids Dream...' (Bladerunner) film due soon. From the trailers I worry that Bladerunner 2 will sell on action rather than story line :-(
    Unfortunately that can be said of most commercial cinema these days. With one eye carefully fixed in non-native English speaking markets (particularly Russia and China), its important not to have complex dialogue or complex verbal plotting.

So: kaboom! pow! zaap! instead :(

Going to watch this tonight. Was quite looking forward to it so a bit disappointed with the poor reviews it's got

Ended up watching last night's episode, The Commuter, by chance. I found it quite interesting and I'll look out for the next one.

Are the first 2 episodes that bad or might I enjoy then if I liked the 3rd?

Master
    Its like a b grade twilight zone series from the early 90s . Its quite amateurish in lots of ways. Reminds me of student films.

Lacks the humour of the original writing.

Even the opening titles are ridiculous , overwrought and tacky. Again the look like 20 years out of date.

Master
    I enjoyed The Hoodmaker and thought The Impossible Planet was good until the last ten minutes - rubbish ending. The Commuter was...hmmmm, ok I suppose. Not as impressed by that one to be honest.

It's hard to get away from the original text, but bear in mind these are only re-imaginings of Philip K Dick's original work.

While I read quite a lot of PKD work his stories are very often disappointing in their endings more so than other authors

(though many are guilty of this I find anyway) but it really does with his tales, as if Phil just got bored or lost interest (or more likely just too stoned to bother)...

Man In High Castle tails off so badly I was amazed the series stretched over to a 2nd series & though that was higher budget by miles that was also often very contained in a couple of locations and hemmed in too ..

Do androids dream...and Counter Clock World aren't terrific ending in themselves either so though I didn't enjoy the TV shows so far either the way to handle the material is quite tricky for a lot of producers and writers to be a bit fair....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Are the first 2 episodes that bad or might I enjoy then if I liked the 3rd?
    I think as this thread shows, there is a lot of difference of opinion so you're probably best to watch them!

I didn't like the first two at all, but really enjoyed the third.

Alas 3 shows in, and 180 minutes of my life I will not get back.

I will continue, but other that a few performances, completely forgettable.

Perhaps they should have done Harry Harrison instead. The Stainless Steel Rat series would be epic.
    Last edited by Andyg; 5th October 2017 at 07:54.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche