closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: London Seiko boutique - for Tuna fans

London Seiko boutique - for Tuna fans

Now that I'm work quite often from London I popped into the new Seiko boutique on Brompton road near Harrods this evening (they're open until 8pm). Lovely female staff liked talking Seiko divers for a while, & I had a chance to have a good long look at the Spring Drive Tuna 600m I drool after. The girls liked that I was wearing my usual SBBN033 quartz Tuna and as I was about to leave one of them said "wait - I have a present for Tuna fans - a Tuna can". And she did :)
    Here's some photos..
    I'll certainly be back to buy something soon. Prices are much higher than buying direct from our usual Japanese friends but the service is excellent, and no worries about customs charges etc.
    Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Oh that's a nice freebie. As I recall, that's the first time I have seen evidence that Seiko are aware of fan nicknames for their watches!

That is ace, really cool.

Seiko are in a league on their own in my opinion.

I have always been a fan.

Nice touch from the shop. That's the way to engender customer loyalty. Other watch companies take note.

I forgot to mention that there really is a very full selection of the divers, with most of the current range of hitherto Japan-only watches - quartz, mechanical, stainless & titanium tunas; Marine Master 300, the new solar titanium divers, PADI versions, and of course a very wide selection of full-on Grand Seiko too. Two years 0% and an extra year of warranty also available. My credit card was all of a quiver ;)
    Steve

Craftsman
    Excellent gift! Can't wait to get down there and try on the MM300 and a few GS.

Young lady who served me was named Ziva - very helpful, huge difference to the service I've encountered in mainstream Seiko dealerships - nice to see how Seiko have upped their game at the boutique.

Banned
    I was actually in there today and it's amazing . It's unreal seeing all those prospex divers on display that you'll only see in pics online . They have the mm300 and the tunas . They even have the samurai and sumo which is amazing . Tried the new cocktail watch and it's superb .

Only negative point is the pricing - just looked at what Seiya is charging for SBDB013 Spring Drive Tuna, even at current exchange rate works out at £1800 less than the London boutique is asking - I could fly to Japan & back, visit Higuchi or Seiya, and pay customs charges on return and still have change. Wonder if they're allowed to haggle the prices down any in London?
    Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    Only negative point is the pricing - just looked at what Seiya is charging for SBDB013 Spring Drive Tuna, even at current exchange rate works out at £1800 less than the London boutique is asking - I could fly to Japan & back, visit Higuchi or Seiya, and pay customs charges on return and still have change. Wonder if they're allowed to haggle the prices down any in London?
    Steve

The prices are not justified. Only a mug buys at the London boutique prices.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Oh that's a nice freebie. As I recall, that's the first time I have seen evidence that Seiko are aware of fan nicknames for their watches!
    Same here, often wondered if the forums are evet looked at by them.

That's fantastic. Who cares about the prices, it's Knights bridge, not intended for price aware people on this forum. But it's great to have a good showcase in London for the watches with helpful staff who aren't trying just to make a sale. I'm really looking forward to visiting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    The prices are not justified. Only a mug buys at the London boutique prices.
    That's why their only UK store is based where it is...

The Seiko boutique in Manhatten was also very expensive last time I was there. I guess they have got to pay for the location somehow.

Popped in to the London boutique at lunch to try on the Samurai.

They only had the black dial in store, but it was very nice. Not as nice though as the stunningly beautiful Faye who attended to me - wow!
    Last edited by andy tims; 31st August 2017 at 14:11.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Nice tin anyway Ratty.

Re Tuna, I think it's a shame Seiko never name their modern watches rather than give them a line of numbers.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Popped in to the London boutique at lunch to try on the Samurai.

They only had the black dial in store, but it was very nice. Not as nice though as the stunningly beautiful Faye who attended to me - wow!
    Yep they certainly took appearance into account when interviewing for staff!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by searat View Post
    Young lady who served me was named Ziva
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Not as nice though as the stunningly beautiful Faye who attended to me - wow!
    This thread is worthless without pics.

Sometimes you need to feel their heft before parting with your finest British pounds (to paraphrase Mr Henry Cole). Mail order is fine when you've seen and held a watch in close quarters. I know that to my cost after ordering a Seiko from the US and then regretting it once it was in my hand.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Sometimes you need to feel their heft before parting with your finest British pounds (to paraphrase Mr Henry Cole). Mail order is fine when you've seen and held a watch in close quarters. I know that to my cost after ordering a Seiko from the US and then regretting it once it was in my hand.
    Very fair point, if I was after one the boutique is a good way to find out. And I'd never expect them to match Jap online or US dealer prices, but at even 10% less it would be better. How do the justify their own website having the anniversary rose gold tuna for the same as the Marinemaster 300 in Knightsbridge (ditto that an online search for 'Seiko Boutique' brings up prices from Amsterdam that are much better as well' even inc VAT). The K word can't be worth that much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsox78 View Post
    How do the justify their own website having the anniversary rose gold tuna for the same as the Marinemaster 300 in Knightsbridge (ditto that an online search for 'Seiko Boutique' brings up prices from Amsterdam that are much better as well' even inc VAT). The K word can't be worth that much.
    Three possible explanations come to mind:

(1) Very high prices are an explicit veblen strategy. Even if very few people pay them, they push up the value of the brand. (Apologies for mentioning the V word!).

(2) British consumers are used to paying over the odds. People thought that the EU single market would result in lower prices; it did not. People thought that the Internet would result in lower prices; it did to a limited extent but high prices and poor service remain very British institutions in certain areas (not that I am accusing the Seiko boutique of having poor service). The common factor is British people who, despite buying a great deal online, still don't seem to grok being canny consumers for certain types of items.

(3) Sales to non-EU visitors are not affected by the high prices, since they can reclaim the VAT. This likely makes them as cheap as you will see from a boutique.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Three possible explanations come to mind:

(1) Very high prices are an explicit veblen strategy. Even if very few people pay them, they push up the value of the brand. (Apologies for mentioning the V word!).

(2) British consumers are used to paying over the odds. People thought that the EU single market would result in lower prices; it did not. People thought that the Internet would result in lower prices; it did to a limited extent but high prices and poor service remain very British institutions in certain areas (not that I am accusing the Seiko boutique of having poor service). The common factor is British people who, despite buying a great deal online, still don't seem to grok being canny consumers for certain types of items.

(3) Sales to non-EU visitors are not affected by the high prices, since they can reclaim the VAT. This likely makes them as cheap as you will see from a boutique.
    Good points, and objectively the watches are sort of worth it; they compare with their Swiss rivals on tech and quality for the same price I feel. It’s just...all this time waiting for a UK boutique and then. Bah!

Still , not as irritating when I ummed and ahhed between a Brightz auto Chrono in the Florida Vineland outlet for peanuts...told myself not to jump as it as I was coming back in six weeks it’s my mum...only to get back there excited and find the outlet store had gone! Was nearly driven to buy a Tag in frustration!

Think I'd like to visit. Be interested in seeing and trying in the MM300. May wear my vintage Arnie & see if they appreciate so quartz.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    This thread is worthless without pics.
    I tried a google image search and came up with this:

That's Seiko off the list for a while then. What were they thinking?

Two Japanese gentlemen and a Mr Wayne Kerr, if I'm not mistaken