closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch for Dad's 70th Recommendations Please

Craftsman

Watch for Dad's 70th Recommendations Please

Good morning all,

My mum has tasked me with getting a watch for my dad (well......step dad actually) for his impending 70th Birthday.

Criteria are preferably an automatic, good legibility as his eyesight isn't the best and budget was initially £1,000 but she might be able to stretch this to £1,500. He likes watches with sub dials (mainly for aesthetics rather than function due to eyesight!). Something not too dressy and needs to be durable as likely to be a daily wearer.

I'm a bit of Rolex/Panerai Fanboy and confess to having very little knowledge of other brands so any thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Hamilton chronograph

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collect...rono/h76456435

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Sinn 103 ST?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Stowa Flieger? A sub-dial variation is available but would have to be hand wind.

https://www.stowa.de/en/Flieger+Klassik+40+no+logo.htm

Craftsman
    The Hamilton looks nice but do they do it on a bracelet? I can't seem to find this as an option.

Will investigate the Sinn but the Stowa is probably out as would ideally like an Auto for daily wear.

Thank you for the suggestions thus far.

Master
    How about something like an Oris Big Crown? Robust, easy to read, nice looking. With discount, maybe £1000. Or one of their chronos.......big range to choose from and the quality is there.

Master
    How about a Revue Thommen airspeed three handed or chrono.

Craftsman
    All good suggestions so far, very much obliged.

I'm wondering whether to try and push the budget slightly and go for something like a Tudor Black Bay, no chrono function but if buying new could maybe get interest free credit to help spread the cost.

Craftsman
    This seems promising, not a model I'm familiar with but does have a chrono function, automatic and on bracelet. Although 2 years old comes with box/papers.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tudor/S...249/item/95748

Other than checking it comes with all the links in the bracelet anything else I should be looking for? Apologies if linking to the website is frowned upon, happy to remove if need be.

Master
    Steinhart Nav B-Chrono 44 mit Stahlband, €900?

2nd hand Speedmaster Reduced auto, from £1,300

Last edited by J J Carter; 29th August 2017 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by PAM580 View Post
    This seems promising, not a model I'm familiar with but does have a chrono function, automatic and on bracelet. Although 2 years old comes with box/papers.

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Tudor/S...249/item/95748

Other than checking it comes with all the links in the bracelet anything else I should be looking for? Apologies if linking to the website is frowned upon, happy to remove if need be.
    I think those are quite nice as long as you don't mind Tudor inscribed on the bracelet at 6 - it would annoy me. Mightn't a chronograph potentially have legibility issues; if not now then perhaps in the future?

Nice Tudor Chrono on SC if you can push the budget?

Craftsman
    The Tudor on SC is lovely, my only concern would be age as even though it's a safe queen it's still 5 years old so may be due a service.

I didn't realise omega did an auto speed master, £1300 seems very cheap.

Will continue searching and many thanks for all the suggestions, please do keep them coming

Craftsman
    Longines are in the price range and are a brand a 70 year old man would appreciate. Some of the Master Series watches have tremendously clear dials and there are chrono and small seconds versions. This is just a basic one but pretty classy for the money http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longines...ch/p/17350512/

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Longines are in the price range and are a brand a 70 year old man would appreciate. Some of the Master Series watches have tremendously clear dials and there are chrono and small seconds versions. This is just a basic one but pretty classy for the money http://www.goldsmiths.co.uk/Longines...ch/p/17350512/

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    The Saint Imier is a beaut! Had my Longines flagship chrono for 13 years now, never been serviced (yea I know I know) and still runs like a dream.

Apprentice

Watch for Dad's 70th Recommendations Please

This question should be easy for me, in just over 4 years I'll reach that dreaded age (say it isn't so!). However I'm too far into the watch culture to look at this from the POV of an older gentleman who has no particular watch interest or knowledge. However, putting my WIS snobbishness aside for a moment, you might take a look at the Steinhart website or look at something like Hamilton or Longines as others have suggested. They have a wide range of choices and I assume (based on nothing, I guess) that he won't have use for, or more importantly interest in, complications like those on a Speedy Reduced, as much as I'd like one (hell I want a Snoopy Moonwatch, but that's a different story). A Flieger style watch might be good only because they are easy to read if your dad has eye trouble, although they're not to my taste. If I were in the position (or if my wife or son ever post such a note here-they won't) close to your price range I would go for an ETA Tudor BBN (to go with my Blue- the gold highlights are something I'd love to have). Good luck, in your search, let us know what you choose, post pictures.

Craftsman
    not very sure about legibility ut I would propose this: LONGINES HERITAGE - L16114522

Master
    As someone close to 70, might I suggest that most of us are sentient beings with just as mixed a range of attitudes to the hobby as people at any other age. We aren't ga ga, we aren't half-blind , and we may not even be half stupid.
    This chap will have his own views, it ought to be possible to sound him out without giving the game away. Or buy a watch he can return if necessary. A £1000 would be a lot to waste.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    As someone close to 70, might I suggest that most of us are sentient beings with just as mixed a range of attitudes to the hobby as people at any other age. We aren't ga ga, we aren't half-blind , and we may not even be half stupid.
    This chap will have his own views, it ought to be possible to sound him out without giving the game away. Or buy a watch he can return if necessary. A £1000 would be a lot to waste.
    Good Comment, as someone who will be 66 in October, being an "old grandad" to some, doesn't extinguish the rock and roll kid who was raised to "never trust anyone over 30." Thanks for putting it in perspective.

I will be 70 in two weeks. I'd love to receive one of these:

Master
    Blog Entries

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I will be 70 in two weeks. I'd love to receive one of these:

That photo used to be at the top of the Fortis forum on Watchuseek. It's a great photo of a great model and it played a large part in prompting me to find one of the same model for myself. I've now had it around 8 years, and it's a superb watch, with excellent legibility for ageing eyes.

It may be a bit hard to find one in just two weeks, though...it took me a couple of years!

Last edited by HappyJack; 30th August 2017 at 02:57.

Or even this new GMT model I just spotted for £1,544.00:

Master
    Ask him....!

You'll get the RIGHT one then.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Steinhart Nav B-Chrono 44 mit Stahlband, €900?

2nd hand Speedmaster Reduced auto, from £1,300

I was gonna recommend a Speedy reduced too, and if you can stretch that budget to £1500 you could have it freshly serviced by an independent watchmaker!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Being an old f@rt myself, I would hate to receive an expensive present and only use/wear it because I felt duty bound to.
    Also I would hate having to change it.

Why not just ask him for a few ideas of what he likes, watch wise, or other wise? Then as a surprise, maybe a birthyear watch. And before the comedians start, we did have watches then. We didn't have to walk round with sun dials attached to our wrists.

Anyway good luck in your quest and please keep us informed.

K

I can be guilty of not reading all posts in a thread before replying, but I do at least read the OP

"He likes watches with sub dials (mainly for aesthetics rather than function due to eyesight!). Something not too dressy and needs to be durable as likely to be a daily wearer. "

M.

Craftsman
    Some great suggestions, thank you all.

The Speedy reduced seems like a perfect fit, I assume this is an old model that cannot be purchased new any more?

Asking him is not an option, mum wants to keep it a surprise and I'm sure he'll love whatever we buy. Although he's not WIS in any way he does appreciate nice watches and always comments on mine.

Seiko seem to get a lot of love on here, anything I should check out there perhaps?

I've got around 4-5 weeks to get this sorted so plenty of time at the moment to search but I'd rather not leave it until the last minute and panic buy!

Craftsman
    So, an update and slight change of plan! Had to forgo the subdials but have managed to obtain a classic watch at a great price.

As inevitably happens in these scenarios you start thinking what if the budget is stretched a little......then you start browsing SC!

I didn't think a nearly brand new Omega would be achievable but thanks to SC a 4 month old Seamaster Black Face arrived in the post today. Many thanks to Foxyadam for seamless transaction.

Watch is now tucked away safely until Dad's party on 14th October, looking forward to the reveal.

Master
    My answer for this kind of question remains this: have an afternoon out with the old boy, a little drink, a bite to eat and a nosey around the watch shops. Quality time together looking for a quality timepiece!

Blog Entries
    So, an update and slight change of plan! Had to forgo the subdials but have managed to obtain a classic watch at a great price.

As inevitably happens in these scenarios you start thinking what if the budget is stretched a little......then you start browsing SC!

I didn't think a nearly brand new Omega would be achievable but thanks to SC a 4 month old Seamaster Black Face arrived in the post today. Many thanks to Foxyadam for seamless transaction.

Watch is now tucked away safely until Dad's party on 14th October, looking forward to the reveal.
    Great choice that was a beauty. Bet he'll love it!
    Ian

Craftsman
    Final update, Dads 70th was on Friday and we gave him the watch before his surprise party on Saturday.

He’s absolutely over the moon with the watch and already been to nearest Omega AD to have the bracelet sized. He started to well up when he opened the box !

Great success, many thanks to TZ for the advice and to FoxyAdam for selling the watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Final update, Dads 70th was on Friday and we gave him the watch before his surprise party on Saturday.

He’s absolutely over the moon with the watch and already been to nearest Omega AD to have the bracelet sized. He started to well up when he opened the box !

Great success, many thanks to TZ for the advice and to FoxyAdam for selling the watch.

That is a great picture....made me smile. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk