closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Forgive me father, for I have sinned... Ducati 851

Forgive me father, for I have sinned... Ducati 851

It might have only been a month since I finished sorting out the old lady but that hasn't stopped me picking up a 28 year old Italian supermodel.

Last edited by Groundrush; 20th September 2017 at 13:13.

That's lovely. Classic lines. I always loved the 888's back in the day! More pics please!

Nice, very nice
    I Remember Raymond Roche hustling these around the super bike circuit ,great racing!

She is gorgeous!
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Does it sound like a bag of spanners each time you start it up. If so perfect

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Oh man!

888 SP3 is on my bucket list!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

One of the nicest looking Dukes ever made- and that one looks mint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Don't know the first thing about bikes.......but that was one hell of a title ;)

Fond memories. A friend of mine bought both the 851 as well as the 888 when they came out, quality nightmare but the looks and sounds made up for it.

I rode a Fireblade at the time, which was obviously the better bike but my friend still got all the attention. When the 916 came out, I gave in and bought one. No regrets, they were truly fantastic rides.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Craftsman
    Stunning. Makes me want to get my DAS done asap!!

Sent from my VFD 900 using TZ-UK mobile app

Pah, that's not a Sinn!

M.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Does it sound like a bag of spanners each time you start it up. If so perfect
    You won't hear the jangling spanners.
    Your ears will be bleeding due to the lack of exhaust cans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Fond memories. A friend of mine bought both the 851 as well as the 888 when they came out, quality nightmare but the looks and sounds made up for it.

I rode a Fireblade at the time, which was obviously the better bike but my friend still got all the attention. When the 916 came out, I gave in and bought one. No regrets, they were truly fantastic rides.
    I suspect I was the only one who really didn't like the 916; I could never get it to run properly, the servicing/fettling costs were a nightmare, and worst of all I was never really all that comfortable with the handling. It was a bit knife-edge, which is fine (within reason) on a trackday but not so useful on a country road.

Add to that the sheer misery of the riding position (wrists!) and it's no surprise that it was sold to make way for another 'Blade. The Honda was only 90% as thrilling, but I could use it every day, it would always start, and other than routine servicing it only hit me for chains and tyres. Lots of tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I suspect I was the only one who really didn't like the 916; I could never get it to run properly, the servicing/fettling costs were a nightmare, and worst of all I was never really all that comfortable with the handling. It was a bit knife-edge, which is fine (within reason) on a trackday but not so useful on a country road.

Add to that the sheer misery of the riding position (wrists!) and it's no surprise that it was sold to make way for another 'Blade. The Honda was only 90% as thrilling, but I could use it every day, it would always start, and other than routine servicing it only hit me for chains and tyres. Lots of tyres.
    I am 1,91 meters tall and enjoyed riding both the 916 and the 999, mostly country roads and an occasional track day in Zolder or Anneau du Rhin. Best were always our private track days in the Dolomites, racing up the Sella or the Penser Joch with all their potholes.

Good thing I survived these years and had a chance to become old and reasonable (within limits).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I am 1,91 meters tall and enjoyed riding both the 916 and the 999, mostly country roads and an occasional track day in Zolder or Anneau du Rhin. Best were always our private track days in the Dolomites, racing up the Sella or the Penser Joch with all their potholes.

Good thing I survived these years and had a chance to become old and reasonable (within limits).
    Like I said, I thought I'd be in the minority!

I just didn't gel with it, and to be honest, thought the bike was a bit 'emperor's new clothes' in that once you'd bought one you didn't dare to admit to anyone (including yourself) that it wasn't the Best Bike Ever. I struggled with mine for just under a year, but when I realised that I was hardly riding it (I got a FireStorm to use as a 'daily' because, obviously, you can't use a 916 every day) and that I actually preferred my 'beater' bike, it was time to move on.

I'm glad I had it, but I've never really missed it.
    Last edited by Longblackcoat; 5th September 2017 at 14:52.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned...

I loved my 916 but you couldn't ride them like a jap bike. They were certainly an acquired taste when riding but once you gelled with them they were superb. The way they went round corners was sublime.

When we started doing the odd tour, it seemed a shame to leave it sat in the garage so it got sold. I'd buy another in a heartbeat though!

Liking the 851 too, what age is it? I'm thinking 88 or 89!

Ducatis made a much nicer noise in them days too.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 5th September 2017 at 14:53.

So, the 851 is now back on the road. Started first swing after fitting new cam belts and giving it a service. Sounds like two bricks and a bag of spanners tumbling around in a cement mixer, which is about right for one of these. It certainly goes and handles as well as it ever did. I'd call it an 80% bike, it goes, stops and handles about 80% as well as a comparable modern sports bike. When you think it's nearly 30 years old, that ain't half bad.

The question is, what do I do with it. It's a good bike, just a bit dated so do I get Maxton to sort out the suspension, upgrade the brakes and tweak the tuning a bit or should I accept it for what it is and keep it bog standard?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    So, the 851 is now back on the road. Started first swing after fitting new cam belts and giving it a service. Sounds like two bricks and a bag of spanners tumbling around in a cement mixer, which is about right for one of these. It certainly goes and handles as well as it ever did. I'd call it an 80% bike, it goes, stops and handles about 80% as well as a comparable modern sports bike. When you think it's nearly 30 years old, that ain't half bad.

The question is, what do I do with it. It's a good bike, just a bit dated so do I get Maxton to sort out the suspension, upgrade the brakes and tweak the tuning a bit or should I accept it for what it is and keep it bog standard?
    Lovely bike.... and in my humble opinion I would keep it standard and enjoy it for what it is.

There are far too many 'modified' models and it is refreshing to see one unmolested.....nice job!

Mike

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    It might have only been a month since I finished sorting out the old lady but that hasn't stopped me picking up a 28 year old Italian supermodel.

Beautiful red. She looks younger than 28 though!
    Last edited by kosumi; 20th September 2017 at 14:58.

That looks to be a lovely restoration job - well done!

Bikes are not really my thing, other than I get the chance once a year to take photos when the Marston Sunbeam Register do a run nearby

Hearing and seeing these bikes drive through the Cotswolds is great.