closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thin leather for vintage piece

Thin leather for vintage piece

I'd like to put a leather strap on a 1960s Favre Leuba. It has a slim profile and 18mm lugs. I've got curved bars for this as the gap is extremely narrow. I've looked on Weston Watch Straps and although there's a good selection there, they seem to be quite thick? Obviously the strap will need to be thin to be in keeping with the case profile and the lug layout. I think a smooth texture would be good but not essential. Looking at £20 or thereabouts. Any suggestions?

I had and then gave away a Hirsch Highland. iirc that was quite thin, with a smooth-ish texture, despite the print, and around that price.

Might not be quite smart enough though?
    Last edited by Der Amf; 3rd September 2017 at 23:08.

A nice shell cordovan for £35, worth the extra I'd say.

Or this calf leather from Watchworx for £11.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I'd like to put a leather strap on a 1960s Favre Leuba. It has a slim profile and 18mm lugs. I've got curved bars for this as the gap is extremely narrow.
    Not with you here - 18mm lugs, curved bars and the gap is extremely narrow?

Anyway, Cousins have some nice, thin, flat Denver calf Italian leather (black, brown or tan) at £3.50 a pop (plus postage).

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Not with you here - 18mm lugs, curved bars and the gap is extremely narrow?

Anyway, Cousins have some nice, thin, flat Denver calf Italian leather (black, brown or tan) at £3.50 a pop (plus postage).
    The 1st photo below shows straight bars, and basically no room for any kind of strap.
    The 2nd photo shows the curved bars.

What colour? In any case, here are a couple of suggestions:

Search the site for other colours, makes and materials.

I must admit I tend to use thicker straps to add a bit of heft to smaller vintage watches. That's a lovely watch- IMHO it deserves a custom made strap from Pavel or Steveo.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I must admit I tend to use thicker straps to add a bit of heft to smaller vintage watches. That's a lovely watch- IMHO it deserves a custom made strap from Pavel or Steveo.
    If I could get a thicker strap on there I'd be happy but I don't think I'll be able to.

A friend of my parents used to wear his "dress" watch on a massive leather bund strap. I'm sure it even had studs in it. Now that's heft alright! This was the late 70s though, so taste didn't matter.

If I could get a thicker strap on there I'd be happy but I don't think I'll be able to.

A friend of my parents used to wear his "dress" watch on a massive leather bund strap. I'm sure it even had studs in it. Now that's heft alright! This was the late 70s though, so taste didn't matter.
    A custom strap maker will thin the leather at the lugs if clearance is limited.

With that much gold going on I'd stick with black, probably matt lizard. As the Cousins option would be about the same as PickleB's suggestion then I'd go with the latter as you'll still have some distance selling rights.

A thin straight ended strap should adapt to the curve of the bars. However from experience I'd suggest considering a strap 1mm wider than you need, as when the straight end curves around the bar it will leave a small gap to the lug. Hard to predict how much as straps and measurements seems to vary.

Nice looking watch.

Master
    Adirian on here makes some thin straps, 2-3mm if I recall, for around that price. Might be worth asking.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up plumping for a soft deerskin number (with gold colour buckle). I reckon it's a good compromise between thickness at 3mm, softness which should give a bit, and the fact that there's hardly any taper which should give it a little heft.

Good choice there with Fluco. I have my Archimede Deck Watch on one of their "London" bridle leather straps, great quality and very well priced. Look forward to a picture of the combination.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Good choice there with Fluco. I have my Archimede Deck Watch on one of their "London" bridle leather straps, great quality and very well priced. Look forward to a picture of the combination.
    I very nearly chose a velour/velvety number by Fluco. They didn't do gold hardware otherwise I'd have bagged it. Something different eh.

Craftsman
    I very nearly chose a velour/velvety number by Fluco. They didn't do gold hardware otherwise I'd have bagged it. Something different eh.
    ... Fluco (pretty sure it's them) do the suede OEM straps for Nomos - various German sellers do those on eBay quoted as 'velours' - they're very soft and thin at the bar ends.. - and they can come with gold coloured buckle (or just swap it out - standard 16mm).

Skiving a custom strap to the right thickness would be perfectly plausible - but obviously needs the curved bars..

al

Quote Originally Posted by alslater View Post
    Skiving a custom strap to the right thickness would be perfectly plausible - but obviously needs the curved bars..

al
    Nice to see that word being used in its older, and very correct context. And absolutely true, I've had it done a few times.