closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Would you accept this - faulty BNIB Rolex

Would you accept this - faulty BNIB Rolex

After having had a paid in full a month ago pre-order on an Explorer from an AD it arrived and was 3 mins a day slow out of the box. As I had destickered it the watch had to be returned to Rolex for sorting. Fair enough, that's what warranties are for but for it to pack up on day 1 leaves me with a slightly bitter taste. Perhaps I'm being over optimistic here but I would have expected a new replacement particularly as I spend a fair bit a year with that AD.

What do you think?

Journeyman
    Like you say that's what warranties are for . It's always the case as soon as your money is down, goods received and "opened" it's used so if fixable then warranted and no newbie replacement . It's a hit and sour taste on the consumer. !!! Agree not what's expected from Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes just make that request and the AD will surely replace it.

I had a similar experience but mine was 7 days old Patek Philippe 5711. 3 days upon returning it, PP Singapore emailed me and said they would replace the watch. The AD replaced it in as short as 10 days counting from the day I returned it. (fast for a very sought after piece).

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Did you say as much to the AD?

Would you accept this - faulty BNIB Rolex

If you bought in the UK then I'm pretty sure that you could reject it and get a refund.

Whether they have a replacement available to swap for yours if they wanted to is another matter though!

It's very frustrating but I would keep it but still express my disappointment to the AD who might well come forward with a good will gesture - such as expediting the delivery of one of the harder to get Rolex models or a Rolex related gift such as a wallet or pen.

Banned
    This thread wil no doubt give good ammunition to the many on here...

I'd return it, without a doubt.

Master
    A replacement is the best scenario, although the cynic in me tells me that there is no guarantee that a new watch can't misbehave. Can you get them to throw in a free service if you decide to keep it, as a good will gesture and the fact it is faulty?

I had an issue with my new MilGauss. Even when fully wound, it would stop after a few hours (on the wrist). Mappin and Webb swapped it immediately.
    Under the sale of goods act, the watch is not as described (i.e. Not a Chronometer), so you are entitled to a refund or replacement and not a repair (but given the long waiting lists - you might have to accept the repair).

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    It's very frustrating but I would keep it but still express my disappointment to the AD who might well come forward with a good will gesture - such as expediting the delivery of one of the harder to get Rolex models or a Rolex related gift such as a wallet or pen.
    Goodwill for a harder to get model would be my push.

These things happen. Maybe the muppet in the shop dropped it, who knows.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I have been in this situation . Reject the watch, today, in writing. As you have the legal right to do. Insist on a new replacement. Do not accept a repair....you paid for a new watch, not a repaired one. This is your legal right, use it. Don't let the AD deflect you. The stickers have nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by paskinner; 26th August 2017 at 09:18.

Master
    I think I'd be happier with the same watch regulated by Rolex, rather than a replacement to be honest.

Don't know why really. Perhaps the notion that it's had the personal touch whereas another new one won't have had.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I think I'd be happier with the same watch regulated by Rolex, rather than a replacement to be honest.

Don't know why really. Perhaps the notion that it's had the personal touch whereas another new one won't have had.
    Maybe the replacement will have had the personal touch when it should have, before someone paid thousands for it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DACC View Post
    Under the sale of goods act, the watch is not as described (i.e. Not a Chronometer), so you are entitled to a refund or replacement and not a repair (but given the long waiting lists - you might have to accept the repair).
    This.

I would expect an AD to replace your watch and if they have long waiting list times that's their problem, just tell them to sort it, you're the customer and you're paying them a lot of money. They will try and feed you some rubbish about it being "used" but just keep hammering on at them and repeatedly quoting the sale of goods act at them. As has been already stated, the watch is not as described, but it's also not of satisfactory quality nor fit for purpose (two other key points in the sale of goods act) so they really haven't got a leg to stand on. Replace immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by DACC View Post
    I had an issue with my new MilGauss. Even when fully wound, it would stop after a few hours (on the wrist). Mappin and Webb swapped it immediately.
    It's now the Consumer Rights Act 2015 that's relevant as it replaced SOGA. There is a 30day right to reject so Ryan could insist on a refund. Technically I don't think the act allows you to demand a replacement although it may work out best for both seller and buyer to replace rather than refund.

Having said all that, personally I would allow them to repair the watch and bank the goodwill with the AD. Once it's back at Rolex it will either be 'repaired' back to better than new or, if they find a fundamental issue, replaced anyway.

Go for the jugular. Demand a Daisy.

It's been sent for repair as I kind of feel bonded with the watch however the AD has invited me to a Rolex event at the Shard next month and a BLNR is 'magically' going to become available whenever I want it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I had a brand new Breitling superocean heritage that was 30 seconds a day right out the box. It hit sent away and came back COSC. My only gripe was I had paid then had to do without anything for my money for 5 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It's been sent for repair as I kind of feel bonded with the watch however the AD has invited me to a Rolex event at the Shard next month and a BLNR is 'magically' going to become available whenever I want it.

Result.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If you bought in the UK then I'm pretty sure that you could reject it and get a refund.

Whether they have a replacement available to swap for yours if they wanted to is another matter though!
    +1
    You don't want to be worrying about it falling over again.

Good outcome, glad for you.
    Now others can stop hyperventilating on your behalf:-)

It's an interesting mentality, that they sold you a faulty watch but, don't worry they will let you buy another watch (probably at full retail). I'm not knocking you at all but it just seems like you are going to be without a watch you just payed thousands of pounds for for weeks (months?) and the only compensation you will get is to spend many thousands of pounds at the same shop?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanbooth78 View Post
    It's an interesting mentality, that they sold you a faulty watch but, don't worry they will let you buy another watch (probably at full retail). I'm not knocking you at all but it just seems like you are going to be without a watch you just payed thousands of pounds for for weeks (months?) and the only compensation you will get is to spend many thousands of pounds at the same shop?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app
    In my experience Rolex (St James) are quick to turn around a warranty issue. And a chance to get hold of the BLNR at cost is quite a nice consolation. They are still selling above MRP on the second hand market so maybe the OP could take any profit as rightful compensation.

OP you might at least ask for some recompense- say a paid for first service on the Explorer? Sounds like your happy with the result. All the best

Martyn

Re: OP you might at least ask for some recompense- say a paid for first service on the Explorer? Sounds like your happy with the result. All the best

That made me chuckle.
    By the time first service is due, Ryan will have been through roughly a 120 flipparoos:-)

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    In my experience Rolex (St James) are quick to turn around a warranty issue.
    Very.

Tell them you will take them to court unless they throw in the stickers

Craftsman
    I'd return it. No other option since the piece is BNIB. Although having finished reading the thread you might have been better off having it fixed (if you manage to get the BLNR that is!).
    Last edited by Sparjar; 26th August 2017 at 18:25.