closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: London - bars and foodie

Blog Entries

London - bars and foodie

Chaps

Lots of threads in the past some that I have chipped in as well but heading off shortly with Mrs P and would welcome suggestions for latest bars, gin, cocktails, grub etc.

Ta
    Pitch

Master
    Which part of London are you staying in or intending to visit?

Blog Entries
    St Paul's buddy. Although will spread ourselves all over.

Try the new hotel 'The Ned' on Cheapside
    Very nice with good bars.
    Madison in One new change is also nice with a fantastic view of St. Paul's
    Most of the new sky scrapers have bar and restaurants in them, the one in Heron tower are nice as are the ones in the Shard.
    All are walking distance from St.Pauls

If you like gin head to Portobello road.
    The Star is now a Gin house as is a pub further up the road towards North Kensington.
    The latter is where Portobello Gin is distilled.

Enjoy

John
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 24th August 2017 at 09:51. Reason: Gin recommended

Whole food market food hall on Kensington high street - had an amazing Burrito (filled me up for most of the day) and nice cheap beer - bit busy and noisy but the shop floors are foodie heaven

Big easy near covent garden - excellent bbq and lobster menu with daily specials and impressive bar

Street food at Camden Market is nice if you don't mind eating standing up and walking around

Borough Market ... say no more

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post

Borough Market ... say no more
    The produce stalls are great, if extortionate, but the hot food, waste of money.

For gin and cocktails, try the Merchant House (13 Well Court, Off Bow Lane), nice basement bar with hundreds of gins just around the corner from St Pauls.

One New Change has a couple of eating options including Barbecoa. Madison is OK for the view but I wouldn't eat there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    The produce stalls are great, if extortionate, but the hot food, waste of money.
    I've had a couple of fantastic meals at Roast.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    For gin and cocktails, try the Merchant House (13 Well Court, Off Bow Lane), nice basement bar with hundreds of gins just around the corner from St Pauls.

One New Change has a couple of eating options including Barbecoa. Madison is OK for the view but I wouldn't eat there.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had a couple of fantastic meals at Roast.
    Sorry, meant the actual stalls. It all smells and looks appealing, but I've always found them a let down. My brother reccomended I try Roast at some point, although slightly out of my budget alas. I have to resort to being riff raff with a pork roll :p

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I was in El Pastor last weekend.
    Had Guajillo rubbed short rib and Frijoles Charros.

Very good food.

Master
    I asked a similar question when we went to see GnR and was recommended Scarfes Bar. Had a great time, excellent cocktails and a lovely huge old fashioned room with great live music.

City of London Distillery is quite close (Bride Lane), does good cocktails and serves excellent gin.

You're also across the river from one of the best bars in the world: Dandelyan at the Mondrian Hotel.

Barrafina and Palomar are two of the best I've been to recently.

Master
    If you like 80's music, try Reflex in the St Pauls area.

Mon - Fri lunch time food and street markets are near by - Leather Lane (Chancery Lane tube station) & Petticoat Lane (Liverpool Street tube station) 5 minute walk there after.

Stoke Newington Road - Lots of Turkish Mangal/Ocakbasi (BBQ/Grill) restaurants, Hasan, bus 242 get off at Dalston Junction then a 5 minute walk.

Saturday only - Broadway market cheaper than Borough market, clothes, street food, cafes, traditional pie & mash shop, restaurants, also both of these pubs should be lively due to the market - The Dove and Cat & Mutton either end of Broadway Market. Regents canal and London Fields is near by, bus 26 or 388 to Mare Street/Victoria Park Road and then a 5 minute walk.

Friday/Saturday night anywhere along Shoreditch High Street (Bus 242) or Upper Street (Bus 4) for Food & Drink.

Salt Beef bagel or anything from a 24 hour Beigal Bake bakery when every other eatery is shut, Brick Lane - Bus 8, 26, 242, 388 get off at Shoreditch High Street then a 5 minute walk.

If you're in Islington, check out the four sisters on Canonbury lane, pretty quiet amazing cocktail bar - dont everyone go there it's my secret!

Blog Entries
    Great stuff to try there chaps and some old favs mentioned in the list also.

Ta
    Pitch

Nightjar in Old Street for cocktails. In my opinion the best in London.

Smokestak in Shoreditch if you love BBQ.

London Cocktail Club around the corner from Smokestack. Only worth it for their Heisenberg Margarita if you want a pre BBQ tipple.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    would welcome suggestions for latest ... gin.

Ta
    Pitch
    If you are going to Borough Market, which I would recommend, and fancy a few gins I would recommend 214 Bermondsey on Bermondsey Street, it's only about ten minutes walk from the market and has a large selection. They also make their own tonic water, BTW (that stands for Bermondsey Tonic Water, not by the way).

http://www.214-bermondsey.co.uk/

I would also echo the above suggestion for El Pastor officially just off Borough Market, good Mexican food. Gets busy, doesn't take reservations, but they have a well organised system where they take your number and text you when a table comes free which has always worked well for me. They also text you a link to see where you are in the queue), plenty of good pubs to wait in nearby until your table becomes free.

Quote Originally Posted by smoz View Post
    They also make their own tonic water, BTW (that stands for Bermondsey Tonic Water, not by the way)
    Sounds like Peckham Spring!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Sounds like Peckham Spring!
    Same thing came into my mine when I saw "Bermondsey Tonic Water".

If you fancy some seafood try Wright Brothers Spitalfields or Borough Market, you may need to book in advance as it gets really busy esp on w.ends.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Try the new hotel 'The Ned' on Cheapside
    Very nice with good bars.
    Madison in One new change is also nice with a fantastic view of St. Paul's
    Most of the new sky scrapers have bar and restaurants in them, the one in Heron tower are nice as are the ones in the Shard.
    All are walking distance from St.Pauls

If you like gin head to Portobello road.
    The Star is now a Gin house as is a pub further up the road towards North Kensington.
    The latter is where Portobello Gin is distilled.

Enjoy

John
    Madisons is good for a drink & food although noisy/party atmosphere which you may or may not like. If there are bouncers at the lifts and you don't have a reservation walk down the stairs in the shopping centre and get the lift up from the floor below past the bouncers ;-)

Hawksmoor is superb (although expensive) for a more refined sit down meal - old gentleman's club so hardly "new" though.

If you want wow factor. Look no further than City Social! Amazing views, outstanding bar and food and service that are second-to-none.

Master
    Hare & Tortoise on New Bridge Street serves decent Japanese food.

Assenheims for South American. Not fancy and feels like a canteen but the chicken especially with green sauce is very good.

Alchemy for a cosy coffee.

All very local to St. Paul's and on the "correct" side of the river ;-)