closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sci-Fi Space Opera Novel Suggestions

Master

Sci-Fi Space Opera Novel Suggestions

Looking for a more modern day (not a 1970's) novel which has lots of up-to-date technology etc, the in the "space opera" genre

I enjoyed the first 2/3 of Seveneves by Neal Stephenson so something like that maybe, but perhaps on a bigger scale.

Looking for a new world to get completely immersed in for a few weeks / months.

Thanks!

Craftsman
    awww yeah. space opera!

I always recommend Dune if you haven't read it yet.

Also I'm reading the Bobiverse series at the moment. It's 3 books (The third was just released).
    It's about a guy who dies in this century and gets revived in the future as an AI, to be trained for the purpose of piloting space faring ships. the whole series is about him exploring the universe with copies of himself.
    it's super nerdy and a bit light hearted in tone.

If you want a more serious tone, I'd also suggest the culture series by Iain M banks. most of the books are standalone stories set in the same universe. I'd start with perhaps player of games.

And for epic insane serious level, there's always the foundation series by Asimov. I couldn't get through it personally. It was like reading about an entire different universe. Scaling over centuries of time.

I haven't read it but have heard good things about The Caledonian Gambit by Dan Moren.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caledonian-.../dp/B06XH5T4WG

My favourite pure SF book is The Player of Games by Iain M Banks.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Peter F Hamilton

Very in depth,big books,lots of detail and a damn good read.

If you want something truly epic and powerful I always suggest The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    If you want something truly epic and powerful I always suggest The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.
    I tried this and despite it ticking all the boxes, I abandoned it after a few chapters. Can't remember exactly why now.

Any of the Sci-fi Iain M Banks books. Especially the Culture novels.

Apparently Alistair Reynolds is good as is Mars Trilogy, the Xeelee books, The series like The Canterbury tales...

Craftsman
    I could recommend some lite and fun reading. I stumbled upon an indie author, Richard Fox, he is the author of The Ember War Saga, and he spent 10 years in military and it shows in his novels. It reminded me of the early hard scifi stuff that I grew up with, most characters are paper thin, but story is fine and gripping.

Asimov's Robots series or Foundation series or others, Ian M Banks' Culture novels, Frank Herbert 's Dune, Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos'....slightly left field but John Courtney Grimwoods Stamping Butterflies.
    Last edited by Passenger; 23rd August 2017 at 18:39.

I'm reading the the "Red Rising" trilogy by Pierce Brown at the minute, which seems to be a modern iteration on the traditional space opera saga, and am enjoying them so far. I love Banks' "Culture" series, "Use of Weapons" being a favorite. Peter Hamilton is great for in depth SciFi, I prefer the "Commonwealth Saga" to the "Nights Dawn Trilogy", but both are cracking reads. One issue is you mention "up to date technology", whereas Banks and Hamilton specialize more in "crazy advanced made up future technology", which is no bad thing, but might not be what your after.

Larry Niven's Ringworld, in fact anything by Larry Niven. Rhe are all set in the same universe.
    Bob Shaw - Orbitsville.
    Pratchett and Baxter - The Long Earth series.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Peter F Hamilton

Very in depth, big books, lots of detail and a damn good read.
    seconded - from Greg Mandel series to the most recent, love them all.

Richard Morgan is good fun. Start with Altered Carbon (which I believe is being made into Netflix series)

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychomech View Post
    I'm reading the the "Red Rising" trilogy by Pierce Brown at the minute, which seems to be a modern iteration on the traditional space opera saga, and am enjoying them so far. I love Banks' "Culture" series, "Use of Weapons" being a favorite. Peter Hamilton is great for in depth SciFi, I prefer the "Commonwealth Saga" to the "Nights Dawn Trilogy", but both are cracking reads. One issue is you mention "up to date technology", whereas Banks and Hamilton specialize more in "crazy advanced made up future technology", which is no bad thing, but might not be what your after.
    Really enjoyed Red Rising trilogy. There is not much great Sci Fi IMO - I end up reading more fantasy it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by maccer View Post
    seconded - from Greg Mandel series to the most recent, love them all.

Richard Morgan is good fun. Start with Altered Carbon (which I believe is being made into Netflix series)
    Just reading Richard Morgan now. You can get 5 books as a set off amazon for the kindle. It's my first read of this genre for years and I'm enjoying it

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Sci-Fi Space Opera Novel Suggestions

I absolutely love sci-fi. As others have said Ian M Banks is fantastic, a master of the craft. Peter F Hamilton a close second for me, plenty to choose from and all decent. James S A Corey expanse series is pretty good, a bit lightweight compared to the first two but quite entertaining. I also really enjoyed recently Cixen Liu - The Three Body Problem series. Alistair Reynolds is also very good.

Craftsman

Richard Morgan is probably one of my favourite new authors, his A Land Fit For Heroes fantasy series is as good if not better than his scifi stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura View Post
    Any of the Sci-fi Iain M Banks books. Especially the Culture novels.
    Definitely this, best sci-fi I've read in decades.

Master
    Thanks for all the great suggestions folks!

It's such an individual thing, but it seems that there's a consensus on certain authors / books, so I will give them a try!

I want to get really immersed in a new world for a bit, rather than standard novels that only last a couple of weeks and leave you wanting more.

Thanks again!

Master
    You are pretty safe with most of the suggestions on here.

Also Neal Asher similar to Banks Culture novels but a bit more pulpy and extremely violent. Very good though. His Owner Trilogy is pretty good too but be warned its seriously dark and violent , I actually felt physically sick at some of it.

Dread Empire's Fall series by Walter Jon Williams ( very hard space opera).

Ancillary Justice Ann Leckie

Rimrunners C. J. Cherryh ( her whole Merchanter series is good but this one is my fave)

A Talent for War (Jack McDevitt all his stuff is quite spacey)

The Forge of God / The Anvil of the Stars (Greg Bear , first is great , second is okay but more spacey)

The Forever War Joe Haldeman

FootFall /The Mote in God's Eye Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle

The Stars My Destination Alfred Bester (quite old but one of the best action scifi stories ever written , often named as other scifi writers' favourite)

The Vorkosigan Saga (The Warrior's Apprentice) Lois McMaster Bujold ; physically disabled and frail aristocrat becomes great military commander ( safe for youngsters too , would be a great fim series hary potter meets Hornblower in space)

Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    Richard Morgan is probably one of my favourite new authors, his A Land Fit For Heroes fantasy series is as good if not better than his scifi stuff
    Thanks I'll look into that series, his Altered Carbon etc was awesome

The Expanses series by James S A Corey are very good. I'm on book 4 at the moment and really enjoying them.

Master
    You could do a lot worse than read the Hunger Games Trilogy.

Barbarella

No need to thank me.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    I enjoyed it :-0. In terms of fantasy I would personally say Mark Lawrence is as good if not better. His Thorns series is brilliant and the red queen series arguably better! If you have not try it out.

If you are going for Fantasy then Joe Abercrombie is your man. The First Law trilogy is superb.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Looking for a more modern day (not a 1970's) novel which has lots of up-to-date technology etc, the in the "space opera" genre

I enjoyed the first 2/3 of Seveneves by Neal Stephenson so something like that maybe, but perhaps on a bigger scale.

Looking for a new world to get completely immersed in for a few weeks / months.

Thanks!
    Well there's always 3001 by Arthur C. Clarke, but although post 1970's, it's looking a bit dated now.

I'd prefer to recommend John Birmingham's Axis of Time series Weapons of Choice, Designated Targets and Final Impact. Written about 10-12 years ago, and many of the alternate history scenarios he paints have a worryingly contemporary feel.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'll second the ann leckie ancillary justice series - best I've read in a decade or more.

Some good suggestions my brief summary:

Mars Trilogy - well worth persisting with, proper "science" fiction

Iain M Banks - beautifully written but they all end the same way with a deus ex machina solution which I find a bit tiresome

Peter F Hamilton - can't bear his books, far too gruesome and visceral for my taste

Alistair Reynolds - wonderful and compelling, probably my favourite in the space opera genre, I especially enjoyed Chasm City

Joe Haldeman - The Forever War is fantastic; the follow up The Forever Peace is utter tosh

Jon Walter (or is it Walter Jon I can't remember) Williams - the Praxis trilogy - these are great, loved them. There are two follow up novellas which are not so good.

Evan Currie has written a host of fairly trashy sci-fi which are available on Kindle; hardly high brow but they are good fun, I especially recommend On Silver Wings, the first of a (I think) six book series; its the best but the others are readable.

Master
    The Gap series Stephen Donaldson.
    Space Opera but there is quite a lot of sexual violence in there. And I'm not sure if its depiction was necessarily handled that sensitively.

The first novel especially was quite tough to read. It does have plenty to offer though. It reminded me a lot of CJ Cheryh but nastier.

The Praxis series is the "Dread Empire's Fall" series I mentioned from Walter Jon Williams.

As previously mentioned the Foundation trilogy by Asimov is well worth a read. In fairness it does feel a little dated now though.

I would also recommend the Planet of Adventure series by Jack Vance - a good mix of hard SF and social commentary. Although written 50 or so years ago it stands up well.

Slightly more fantasy but still containing lots of interesting SF elements is probably my favourite - Philip José Farmers River Word saga. The historical and biographical descriptors of significant people from history adds a extra dimension to the appeal.
    Last edited by Velorum; 24th August 2017 at 09:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Another vote here... a very moving and thought provoking series. I found it so moving at the end I was almost in tears.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mungosdad View Post
    The Expanses series by James S A Corey are very good. I'm on book 4 at the moment and really enjoying them.
    What ever you do don't watch the rubbish effort that Netflix have done in porting it to the TV. Books excellent... TV version total crap.
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 24th August 2017 at 09:10.

Really enjoyed Red Rising trilogy. There is not much great Sci Fi IMO - I end up reading more fantasy it seems.
    Stephen Baxter is who you need.
    So clever my foot fell off.

As par of the course here on this forum this will turn into another expensive thread for me. I can see my amazon kindle account taking a hammering over the next few days.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    What ever you do don't watch the rubbish effort that Netflix have done in porting it to the TV. Books excellent... TV version total crap.
    Nitpicking I know, but tv series is done by Syfy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I like the tv show. One of the best scifi shows I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I agree, done pretty well the TV show IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I think the problem is if you've read the books before hand (which really are very good) it makes you appreciate just how bad the tv version is. Anyway nothing can touch Blakes 7 for a tv show:-)

https://youtu.be/DXDd1zO9F1I

;-)
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 24th August 2017 at 10:57.

Craftsman
    Nah, I read all the books and watched TV show afterwards, made me appreciate TV series more. Almost all the changes they made were good and done to accommodate different medium. They even improved on some characters which were really bad in books.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Asimov's Robots series or Foundation series or others, Ian M Banks' Culture novels, Frank Herbert 's Dune, Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos'....slightly left field but John Courtney Grimwoods Stamping Butterflies.
    I was going to suggest Foundation, Foundation and empire and Second Foundation. Also early Arthur C Clarke's earlier stuff like A fall of moondust.

I really hadn't pegged Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon series as being "space opera", but I guess that's what happens when you give up on subgenrefication. I've seen it described as cyberpunk, military sci fi and even Scottish speculative fiction.

China was right.

Although I have been hard core sci fi since I was a teenager, I really got into "American Gods" !
    Wow what a ride! Thoroughly impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    If you are going for Fantasy then Joe Abercrombie is your man. The First Law trilogy is superb.
    Agreed. I've listened to the audiobooks and these are well narrated too.

Similarly, the Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. Absolutely not sci-fi, but for fantasy it's a lot more like sci-fi than most. He goes to a lot of effort to make magic within the universe consistent with his own alternate science. Some of the best books I have read, although I didn't read them as such. The audiobooks are by a huge margin the best narration I have ever heard, and I would highly recommend them over the dead tree version. Rupert Degas has really put a lot of effort in.

Of course neither of these is anything approaching a space opera. Would second the recommendations of Arthur C Clarke or Iain M Banks for that. There's also the canonical space opera: EE Doc Smith's Lensman series, but I found the first book a bit silly and didn't read the rest. Don't think it has aged well. I would also recommend Asimov's robot stories over Foundation. They aren't really space opera but some, like Little Lost Robot, happen to be set in space. There's also his robot detective series, starting with Caves of Steel.

Master
    Just started book 4 (or 5 if you count the prequel) of Neal Ashers Ian Cormac series.
    Damn excellent if I may say so. Normal level of Asher violence, great story and the odd bonking scene - what more do you want? ;-)

Craftsman
    I'm late on this thread but I have just read Peter F Hamilton's "Great North Road". He has written a couple of trilogies and series of modern Sci Fi books but this one is a stand alone novel so a good one to dip your toe into.

Read grt nth rd last year. Its a 'tome' of a book. Lost track of some of the characters at times, had to skip back . OK but not my favourite.

Anyone read "Revenger" Alistair Reynolds ?
    I enjoyed it, characters not quite so defined, but a good yarn nonetheless.
    Last edited by sestrel; 25th August 2017 at 17:57.

This arrived today, looking forward to reading it.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I'm late on this thread but I have just read Peter F Hamilton's "Great North Road". He has written a couple of trilogies and series of modern Sci Fi books but this one is a stand alone novel so a good one to dip your toe into.
    Tbh I think that it is one of his weaker novels. Slow start,doesn't flow that well and has a very irritating use of written Geordie. I wouldn't introduce yourself to Peter F Hamilton with this title when he has written much,much better books.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Tbh I think that it is one of his weaker novels. Slow start,doesn't flow that well and has a very irritating use of written Geordie. I wouldn't introduce yourself to Peter F Hamilton with this title when he has written much,much better books.
    Completely agree, as a fan I thought it was OK with some interesting ideas, but it desperately needed an editor to chop out at least 100 pages in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    This arrived today, looking forward to reading it.
    I have read that and TBH I can not recommend to anyone on any level. It is the only book that I wish I'd never even opened.