closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Paul Newman's Paul Newman is up for auction

Paul Newman's Paul Newman is up for auction

Among vintage collectors, certain timepieces are known as holy grail watches. They’re the ones that inspire bidding frenzies and, subsequently, bragging rights.
    So far, nothing tops a stainless-steel Patek Philippe that sold for $11.1 million at Phillips auction house in November. Patek produced only 281 of these 1941 wristwatches, mostly in gold; only four are known to have been made in stainless steel.
    Also among the most coveted is the Daytona Rolex, a limited run of sports watches produced from 1966 until the mid-1970s, made famous by the actor and philanthropist Paul Newman, who wore one daily in the ’70s. In May, an 18-karat gold “Paul Newman” Daytona fetched $3.7 million at Phillips in Geneva. A year earlier the company sold a stainless-steel version for $2 million. But neither of those had ever graced the blue-eyed star’s wrist.
    Now some lucky person will be able to buy the holiest of holy grail watches: Paul Newman’s actual Paul Newman Daytona.
    “You ask 100 collectors over dinners what’s on their shopping list—the Paul Newman Daytona Rolex,” says Aurel Bacs, senior consultant for watches at Phillips, which is running the auction in New York on Oct. 26.
    Phillips estimates that Newman’s stainless-steel Daytona Rolex wristwatch will fetch more than $1 million. That’s conservative; given its provenance and good condition, vintage watch enthusiasts are throwing numbers as high as $10 million.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._medium=social

Master
    Heard about this a good few weeks ago. They expect 7 figures, but it's THE Paul Newman and someone will no doubt pay it.

Master
    I'll be surprised if this doesn't make $8-10 million.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    It's a good read. Not for the speculation about how much the auction will raise, but for the story of the watch itself and the reason why it is now being auctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I'll be surprised if this doesn't make $8-10 million.

And the rest....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    And the rest....
    Think it'll break the record?

How about a whip-round on here and then we can take turns wearing it....................................I'll get my coat

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    It's a good read. Not for the speculation about how much the auction will raise, but for the story of the watch itself and the reason why it is now being auctioned.
    Yep the story of how it got passed down is great. The reason for auctioning even moreso: http://nellnewmanfoundation.org/

You can get his Ranch Dressing a darn sight cheaper!

Master
    Is it purely down to it being THE WATCH, or is the fact it's for the foundation going to help it achieve this value?

Am I the only one who thinks it's a little.... ugly...?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Think it'll break the record?

Could well do...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Is it purely down to it being THE WATCH, or is the fact it's for the foundation going to help it achieve this value?

Yes

Perhaps, or both...

And yes, just you...!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I wouldn't say it's ugly at all but I do think the dials on other vintage Daytona's are much nicer.

Master
    Ugly is probably the wrong word. But I definitely don't see the appeal aesthetically speaking.

I may pop a bid in

Master
    10p says it does $10m +.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff W View Post
    Yep the story of how it got passed down is great. The reason for auctioning even moreso: http://nellnewmanfoundation.org/
    Absolutely. Shame it's not a particularly good-looking watch.
    "A man of little significance"

We got a lot of members here and some wealthy I imagine (not me unfortunately), perhaps we should all club together and buy it, divide the cost into shares and it can be used as an investment!

Seriously though, I like the watch but the buyer is just paying for the link to Newman but if some bad news came out about him the value would crash..

Estimates of final sale price range from £7m to £10m+ and a new world record.

Paul will be along shortly to tell us that it is a ratty old piece of tat.

Let's put it in context, the exact same Watch with no providence would be a little over £100k, so that is actually a hefty premium just because of who owned it.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 15th October 2017 at 22:31.

Nice little excuse for a trip across The Pond to the Big Apple.

Sadly I will only be there with a box of popcorn in my hand rather than a bidding paddle, but my seat is booked.

Ironically, I suspect there will be the biggest gathering of Paul Newman Daytonas ever seen on the wrists of the audience in the auction room...

MW

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood View Post

Sadly I will only be there with a box of popcorn in my hand rather than a bidding paddle, but my seat is booked.

Ironically, I suspect there will be the biggest gathering of Paul Newman Daytonas ever seen on the wrists of the audience in the auction room...

MW

Sounds like a great trip Mike.

Still no idea about the price, but I suspect $5m+ could be expected.

The untimate grail along with Castro's GMT/1803 set.

Enjoy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

MW
    How do you decide what watch to wear to such an event, what's your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Need you ask

Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    (Un-)predictably, a PN Daytona (on each wrist!)...

;-)

Apprentice
    Very nice watches.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Looking at the catalogue I see Newman's Daytona is lot number 8 - has a estimate of $1m what's the betting it will go much higher https://www.phillips.com/detail/ROLEX/NY080117/8

personally I am more interested in Lot 9 which is identical to a watch I own

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

(Un-)predictably, a PN Daytona (on each wrist!)...

;-)
    Ah.....I reememba eet well Mike! A Newman in one hand, a milsub in the other.
    Halcyon day indeed😎
    How many of these did Rolex give him btw? He may have even bought a few in the 60's as the price woulda been chicken feed to him then?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Looking at the catalogue I see Newman's Daytona is lot number 8 - has a estimate of $1m what's the betting it will go much higher https://www.phillips.com/detail/ROLEX/NY080117/8

personally I am more interested in Lot 9 which is identical to a watch I own
    Those who know are predicting $7m to $10m and a possible world record for a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Those who know are predicting $7m to $10m and a possible world record for a watch.
    I've left $10m (in M&M's) on the book so Dr Watchevil will have to top that.
    Back in the real world, and highjack alert, what would Aldrins stolen Speedy now be worth?
    If it ever does show up its going straight back to Uncle Sam. I understand all Apollo flown Speedys had to be handed in after the Aldrin fiasco?
    What was that engraved '43' inside 105.012 allegedly found on a Californian beach? A student put it in a local ad and sold it for $175!

Newman connection or not, they`re an.........odd....... looking watch - all that empty dial space..

They could do with five lines of text in different colours to fill it out a bit..

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Newman connection or not, they`re an.........odd....... looking watch - all that empty dial space..

They could do with five lines of text in different colours to fill it out a bit..
    :)

Hodinkee have a video on the thing as it was in their office. Unfortunately hardly any footage of the thing other than standard shots.

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Ah.....I reememba eet well Mike! A Newman in one hand, a milsub in the other.
    Halcyon day indeed
    How many of these did Rolex give him btw? He may have even bought a few in the 60's as the price woulda been chicken feed to him then?

The story goes that he ordered it himself. He was never a Rolex Ambassador that I know of. In 1968 Jackie Stewart was Rolex's "racer".

Rolex did start its sponsorship of Daytona in 1963.
    Last edited by Andyg; 22nd October 2017 at 20:41.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    The story goes that he ordered it himself. He was never a Rolex Ambassador that I know of. In 1968 Jackie Stewart was Rolex's "racer".

Rolex did start its sponsorship of Daytona in 1963.
    The auction story is that it was bought for him by his wife

Paul Newman's Paul Newman is up for auction

I suspect it may not go for as much as people think... definitely not $10m, unless perhaps it's seen as more of donation towards the cause than the purchase of a watch.

I suppose if two or three characters become convinced the watch is 'theirs', things may get a little silly.

All in a good cause, I suppose.

I'd rather have a silver dial 6263 myself, though I know that's not the same.

Master
    Some lovely watches out of the 50. that 37mm Cosmograph is fantastic (Mike prob has a boxful)

Master
    So we've discussed the money, who do we think is going to buy it ??

Think I'll throw a cheeky bid in for lot 42 - the Mark 1 DRSD and if I don't get that I'll wait until lot 48 and grab the Milsub.

Then I woke up...

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    So we've discussed the money, who do we think is going to buy it ??
    I discussed this with Mike Wood, either an investment consortium, put it in a bank vault for 10 years and resell or a very well heeled private individual collector - in which case it will never been seen again.

I asked if Rolex themselves would be interested, but Mike thought not.

I think will do over 10mil if you are billionaire collector whats 12mil

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The auction story is that it was bought for him by his wife

More than possible, but I think it was a special order. The engraving was ordered by Newman himself.

As for estimates, a fellow I know in the business believes it will be between 3-5million, but that's a pure guess. There are lots of people in the world who can afford more and unlike Cars, this is small, cheap to run and can easily be moved between countries without problem.

time will tell.

Friedrich Nietzsche

This one will cost you less without the connection but still big money for eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/201793532297

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    This one will cost you less without the connection but still big money for eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/201793532297
    Ooh well spotted, been after one of those for ages. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Ooh well spotted, been after one of those for ages. lol.
    Been on eBay about 2 years lol

Sent from my SM-C7000 using Tapatalk

What a nice thing for James Cox to do.

A welcome reminder that there are still some selfless souls around.

Craftsman
    some stunners in those 50!

Master
    I hope it goes to a watch lover. Sadly though like many things these days I can possibly see it going to someone without much real interest, a billionaire that wants it because he/she can have it and because it’s the watch that everyone talks about.

I see it going for $10m but $20 million plus wouldn’t surprise me. If you were worth 5 or 10 billion or more then it’s pocket change, but you get the quodos that goes with it.

P.S. is quodos even a word I’m now thinking

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I hope it goes to a watch lover. Sadly though like many things these days I can possibly see it going to someone without much real interest, a billionaire that wants it because he/she can have it and because it’s the watch that everyone talks about.

I see it going for $10m but $20 million plus wouldn’t surprise me. If you were worth 5 or 10 billion or more then it’s pocket change, but you get the quodos that goes with it.

P.S. is quodos even a word I’m now thinking
    I can't see a non watch lover getting that behind the story of it and buying into the irrational emotional significance it carries.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    I can't see a non watch lover getting that behind the story of it and buying into the irrational emotional significance it carries.
    I hope that’s the case but there’s people spending tens or hundreds of millions on a painting that have no real interest in it.

Especially as watches such as these confer upon the owner the ability to effectively carry around millions of pounds around with them on their wrists, with 99% of people completely unaware of the fact. I don't think it'd even register as a Rolex to many (at a distance where they'd be unable to read the dial).

In fact, it's better than that, as the value will be (for the next little while at least) roughly fixed vs. the fluctuations of a currency.

That could be quite useful even to someone who (for whatever reason) disliked Paul Newman and/or his watch.