closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Times article - Large watches and 'social dominance'!

Master

Times article - Large watches and 'social dominance'!

From The Times this morning:

How a big watch could help you win in a face-off
    A psychological link between wide faces and social dominance may be the reason why some people prefer road-hogging cars and large chunky watches, a study has claimed.
    People typically shy away from somebody who has a wide face because it is perceived as threatening. But a “wide face” superimposed on consumer products, such as cars, could be a useful way of signalling that you are a powerful person, say psychologists.
    To test the theory, scientists conducted experiments in which participants selected preferred photos of products whose design could conceivably resemble a human face, such as clocks, watches and cars.
    While looking at the pictures, the volunteers were asked to imagine different scenarios including an encounter with a school bully, a friendly family get-together or a tricky business trip.
    In situations when appearing dominant was an advantage they tended to choose a wider product design. In scenarios where there was no need to project dominance the width of the product became less important.

Dr Ahreum Maeng, from the University of Kansas School of Business in the US, who co-led the study, said: “When it comes to a dominant-looking product face, [the study’s subjects] really like it. It’s probably because people view the product as part of themselves and they would think I can demonstrate my dominance through the product’.
    “These kinds of things are automatically going on in people’s brains. When we see those shapes resembling a human face in the product design, we can’t help but perceive it that way.”
    Recent work has shown that certain product designs can signal specific personality traits, the scientists wrote in the Journal of Consumer Research.
    An interesting theory, though clearly many other forces are at work. A small platinum watch may speak louder than a large Diesel watch in the boardroom! A stylish choice may be more 'powerful', and those who constantly attempt to signal 'social dominance' get called some pretty colourful names behind their back. There's no denying though that in the world of cars, the scowling LED eyebrows of an Audi R8 do seem to signal intent when one suddenly appears behind you on the motorway.

This ties in with The Times' other August silly season watch story, when psychologists discovered to their amazement the 'secret' that watches are usually set to ten past ten in adverts, supposedly because the watch appears to be 'smiling'. I guess they'd never spent 2 minutes trying to find a reasonable alternative.

So basically, alpha males prefer big watches, wimps wear small watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    So basically, alpha males prefer big watches, wimps wear small watches.
    Not quite - the kind of people who would like to look like, or imagine themselves to be alpha males, prefer big watches. Big difference! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Not quite - the kind of people who would like to look like, or imagine themselves to be alpha males, prefer big watches. Big difference! ;-)
    And there I was thinking they just wanted to look like t*ts.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

👍

Sent from my SM-J320FN using TZ-UK mobile app

I always thought it was a fashion thing, people who like big watches today have the same mentality as those who liked platform shoes, mullets, shoulder pads, etc.

Professional footballers tend to wear overly large, expensive watches. Says everything really.

List of wimps with girlie wrists:
    Itsguy
    Number2
    Bob Mc
    SimonK
    WHL1882

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    I always thought it was a fashion thing, people who like big watches today have the same mentality as those who liked platform shoes, mullets, shoulder pads, etc.
    Nope , being a large chap I never needed platform shoes , mullets or shoulder pads. However I do wear proportionately larger watches for larger wrist

Master
    Itsguy
    Number2
    Bob Mc
    SimonK
    WHL1882
    I prefer to think I'm an alpha male with a girlie wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

Blog Entries
    Itsguy
    Number2
    Bob Mc
    SimonK
    WHL1882
    Who / What are those? I must be getting old. I actually prefer larger dial watches since getting older as I can read the dials easily. My recent FF is ideal for that.

Wouldn't wearing a smaller watch make your hands and arms look bigger.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    That's why my entire collection have 10mm dimensions MAX.

My arms look like Rambo arms.

Blog Entries
    Itsguy
    Number2
    Bob Mc
    SimonK
    WHL1882
    It's good to know whom to PM when one wants to get rid of a 34mm microwatch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    It's good to know whom to PM when one wants to get rid of a 34mm microwatch
    I've come to enjoy larger watches lately I'm afraid, even up to a big swinging socially dominant 40mm on occasion!
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd August 2017 at 15:41.

I've come to enjoy larger watches lately I'm afraid, even up to a big swinging socially dominant 40mm on occasion!
    I don't think 40mm is even considered large nowadays.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    I know, I was joking... but on my skinny wrist 40mm genuinely is on the large side, it's all relative as they say.

Certainly in decades past a 40mm sports Rolex would have fitted the 'large' description of The Times article and may have come across as pretty macho, less so now...

Grand Master
    Itsguy
    Number2
    Bob Mc
    SimonK
    WHL1882
    Guess you'd better add me to the list too.

Hell, I even go out wearing a 34mm watch and I seek out 'medium' length straps

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd August 2017 at 17:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Depends who you talk to. The only comment I've had on my 16660 is "That's big"

This ties in with The Times' other August silly season watch story, when psychologists discovered to their amazement the 'secret' that watches are usually set to ten past ten in adverts, supposedly because the watch appears to be 'smiling'.
    I thought Eddie pointed out on TalkSPORT that generally this left the logo and the date window clear as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    I thought Eddie pointed out on TalkSPORT that generally this left the logo and the date window clear as well.
    Yes, it's about the only plausible place to put them without covering something up and having it look unbalanced really. You could also point them downwards creating a 'sad face' but apart from that issue, it would be more like 4.37 creating a more acute angle than 10.10, that hides writing again. I'm stunned that this ended up as 'news' in the Times even in August, and that anyone had bothered to 'research' the bleeding obvious, but the clock on their masthead is set to 4.30 rather unusually (when the first edition used be printed) so I guess the have an interest.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 23rd August 2017 at 18:09.

Craftsman
    So, is there any information from the study as to what watches would be considered large?

I'm now wearing a Speedmaster Pro on a strap. Is that too big? I also have watches of 36mm.

Does that mean that I'm exercising dominance since coming home from work, as I changed from a 38mm to the Pro?

Confused.

Social Dominance must be such hard work. Just thinking about it makes me feel weary.
    Does the article offer any stylistic cues for budding misanthropes such as myself?

So what's the situation if you wear a 46mm Airman 17 on wrists like a capuchin monkey's?

er.. I'm asking for a friend of course.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Social Dominance must be such hard work. Just thinking about it makes me feel weary.
    Does the article offer any stylistic cues for budding misanthropes such as myself?
    Does it have any info on how to avoid these tosspots? Obviously you can avoid sales teams, middle managers, Audi dealerships, golf courses, theme pubs and football grounds but any extra info would be appreciated.

This needs to be in the Pit so I can swear a lot.

What a waste of crank-witted, psycho-toss babble money these 'studies' are. It's all down to good taste - some people have it, some people get it from crank-witted, psycho-toss babble 'studies' in Tory toss rag media publications.

I think that's clean enough for WT?
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 23rd August 2017 at 21:58.

little round ones to big fat bulbous ones

Some people just like larger watches.

Size Police are out then hahaha get over yourselves.

Journeyman
    Itsguy
    Number2
    Bob Mc
    SimonK
    WHL1882
    Actually I think my wrist is fairly average at 7.25" I just don't need a large watch or a flash car as a penis extension.
    Yes, it's about the only plausible place to put them without covering something up and having it look unbalanced really. You could also point them downwards creating a 'sad face' but apart from that issue, it would be more like 4.37 creating a more acute angle than 10.10, that hides writing again. I'm stunned that this ended up as 'news' in the Times even in August, and that anyone had bothered to 'research' the bleeding obvious, but the clock on their masthead is set to 4.30 rather unusually (when the first edition used be printed) so I guess the have an interest.

Surely to god there's enough actual news without studies like this being reported on? Whoever commissioned the research needs their head examined.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I know, I was joking... but on my skinny wrist 40mm genuinely is on the large side, it's all relative as they say. .
    40mm IS large IMO. I have 7 1/4 inch wrists and 40mm is the largest diameter I'm prepared to go and then only with a thick sports bezel (sub, GMT etc). If it's a dial only design such as most Nomos or DJ, 35/36mm is the right size for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    This needs to be in the Pit so I can swear a lot.

What a waste of crank-witted, psycho-toss babble money these 'studies' are. It's all down to good taste - some people have it, some people get it from crank-witted, psycho-toss babble 'studies' in Tory toss rag media publications.

I think that's clean enough for WT?
    You took the words out of my mouth :-)

What a waste of money, I'm sure there must be more important things to solve in the world!? :thinking:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted
    Last edited by Analogue; 15th September 2017 at 02:55.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Any idea how small a watch Donald Trump wears? Small hands but trying to be the ultimate Alpha male? Must be confusing for him!

Sent from TZ-UK app

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wits View Post
    Some people just like larger watches.

Size Police are out then hahaha get over yourselves.
    'Hahaha.......get over yourselves'

If that's the limits of your ability to contribute to a debate you have my sympathies.

The English language is a versatile tool for self expression if it's used correctly........give it a try and you might get good at it eventually.

Large watches is a fashion that appears to be here to stay, but unless you've got big wrists you end up looking like you've tied a clock to your wrist,or you look like a child wearing dad's watch.

Like you said, some folks like big watches.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd August 2017 at 23:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    Actually I think my wrist is fairly average at 7.25" I just don't need a large watch or a flash car as a penis extension.

Those who proudly proclaim so are usually in the most dire need for one.

So much wrong with this study (let alone the objectionable idea of social dominance) it's hard to know where to begin.

How does a watch face look like a human face, particularly when viewed obliquely by someone other than the wearer?

Also, note how the author takes the apparent findings (people prefer fatter products when thinking of unpleasant scenarios such as school bullies, and prefer thinner products when thinking of pleasant scenarios such as family get togethers) and radically distorts them, claiming “When it comes to a dominant-looking product face, [the study’s subjects] really like it." That is the precise opposite of what his report data appear to show.

I wonder who funded this study? Manufacturers of scowly, po-faced repmobiles and lumpen "luxury" watches.

The eyes are not here
    There are no eyes here
    In this valley of dying stars
    In this hollow valley
    This broken jaw of our lost kingdoms

Not with a bang, but with a whimper

etc

Apprentice
    I am about to pick up a few Invicta and Diesel watches. This Diesel Grandaddy should do the trick!

apologies

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    'Hahaha.......get over yourselves'

If that's the limits of your ability to contribute to a debate you have my sympathies.

The English language is a versatile tool for self expression if it's used correctly........give it a try and you might get good at it eventually.

Large watches is a fashion that appears to be here to stay, but unless you've got big wrists you end up looking like you've tied a clock to your wrist,or you look like a child wearing dad's watch.

Like you said, some folks like big watches.

Paul
    I do apologise for not being up to your literary standards,as you would seem to be in the small watch camp then you would appear prefer them which is fine.
    My point you so well missed in your rush to be superior is that watches like many things are down to opinions and that yours is not necessarily right, but just like everyone else you have one.

Thanks again for your superb dexterity of the English vernacular,I am off to practice my self expression in the vain hope that maybe one day I match your towering standards of literary genius.

As I said some of you need to get over yourselves..........................

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Pickle View Post
    I am about to pick up a few Invicta and Diesel watches. This Diesel Grandaddy should do the trick!
    With that skin colour you are either Donald Trump or you have an impending diagnosis of hepatitis.

Banned
    From my experience, all the watch owners sub 40mm and under tend to be under 5'10", in dead end jobs, a little skint, drive old cars and lose their partners to bigger watch wearers. And they tend to ridicule those who choose to wear watches above that size.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    From my experience, all the watch owners sub 40mm and under tend to be under 5'10", in dead end jobs, a little skint, drive old cars and lose their partners to bigger watch wearers. And they tend to ridicule those who choose to wear watches above that size.
    You are clearly a superior being.

Last edited by Bob Mc; 24th August 2017 at 09:45.

You are clearly a superior ****.

You may well have a point but I'd edit that swear pronto if I were you. This is a public forum.

Master
    Apparently the research was 100% accurate after all.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Craftsman
    I think the clue is in his user name...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    You may well have a point but I'd edit that swear pronto if I were you. This is a public forum.

He obviously feels he is superior to most people and obviously a .... but, point taken☺

Banned
    He obviously feels he is superior to most people and obviously a .... but, point taken☺
    You think posting four letter words on the internet is ok. It's an opinion, which differs from mine. Open your mind and enjoy your small watch

I don't know about large watches and social dominance but there always seems some kind of relationship between small watches and insecurity. And that is evidenced in the comments. Sarky is obviously being sarcastic but he is using the same trope that the small watch brigade usually do.

I am not sure why people can't accept that people wear big or small watches because they like them without trying to
    ascirbe motive or find explanations or apply woodoo science.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I don't know about large watches and social dominance but there always seems some kind of relationship between small watches and insecurity. And that is evidenced in the comments. Sarky is obviously being sarcastic but he is using the same trope that the small watch brigade usually do.

I am not sure why people can't accept that people wear big or small watches because they like them without trying to
    ascirbe motive or find explanations or apply woodoo science.
    Succinctly put sir!