closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000m waterproof?

1000m waterproof?

I love divers although I do recognise mines are not going to see a lot of action. But al least, during my summer holidays in Ibiza, they get to the swimming pool.

This year I brought with me my new Eterna Kon Tiki diver and this morning I noticed like dust. Well, it was not. It is water.

I am very careful with my watches so I am 100% sure that the crown was in the correct position.

I am really pissed off, frankly speaking. And their claim of 1000m looks ridiculous: more like 1m...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Glass does not look thick enough probably need at least 4mm thickness.

Master
    Which is why I never go swimming in any watch, regardless of rating. Seals can fail. Some will fail. If it's under guarantee, straight back.

Craftsman
    if it's under warranty, send it back. it will be pretty hard for them to refute water damage on a 1 year old 1k metre diver....

That's really poor, I have been a diver for many years and never known a watch fail. I guess it's just bad luck.

Actually I lie, one did go in the washing machine and that killed it dead (I know, I know)

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Which is why I never go swimming in any watch, regardless of rating. Seals can fail. Some will fail. If it's under guarantee, straight back.
    Pure gold.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Seals never fail.

No man left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Seals never fail.

No man left behind.
    It took me a few seconds

Master
    Funnily enough, I bought a watch yesterday with the idea that I might do a holiday watch rental/pass round. All monies to the TZ fundraiser, I was thinking say a tenner into the pot for each holiday rental and we could have a thread showing where its been and what its done. Its a Citizen Ecodrive like this but SS rather than Ion-plated;

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...d+strap+watch/

I'd put it on a suitable NATO I think. 5 year warranty so we could get some mileage (literally) out of it.

Any thoughts? Would anybody be up for it?

I never buy any watch because they can go wrong.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Just leave them in the safe with the stickers on, if you never wear it you won't know if it's broken

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    Just leave them in the safe with the stickers on, if you never wear it you won't know if it's broken
    A Rolex Schrod-mariner?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    A Rolex Schrod-mariner?

But, but, but, then I'd be worried they got broken and I'd not know until I went to sell one. Think of the residuals then, eh?!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Back to the OP's original point. That really sucks! How old is the watch? Did you have it pressure tested before taking it on holiday? That's what I do before going anywhere with a pool, better as safe as possible than sorry.

Back to the OP's original point. That really sucks! How old is the watch? Did you have it pressure tested before taking it on holiday? That's what I do before going anywhere with a pool, better as safe as possible than sorry.

Bought in November last year, and I didn't have it pressure tested. I mean, it was brand new... and it was not a daily beater. Worn maybe 20 times at most?

Master
    I had a similar experience with a panerai, just over a year old and let in water whilst diving. Recreational I hasten to add, about 15m down. Panerai did replace the movement under warranty tho with no quibble.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by angeche View Post
    Bought in November last year, and I didn't have it pressure tested. I mean, it was brand new... and it was not a daily beater. Worn maybe 20 times at most?
    You mean, you didn't take your pressure testing kit with you on holiday? You idiot!

Two possibilities-
    Either crown left unscrewed or the seals failed
    Hard to know even if OP is usually a very careful person.
    I have one of these and it is an extremely well made watch.
    However OP could have been unlucky and got a faulty example.
    In either case, if it under warranty-it should go back to Eterna.

The watch may have been brand new to you in Nov but it is probably a 4-5yr old watch, I was trying to find the exact date they stopped making these but can't pin it down.

Still shouldn't leak, did this come grey market? Did they offer any warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Two possibilities-
    Either crown left unscrewed or the seals failed
    Hard to know even if OP is usually a very careful person.
    I have one of these and it is an extremely well made watch.
    However OP could have been unlucky and got a faulty example.
    In either case, if it under warranty-it should go back to Eterna.
    No screw in crown in this model, check yours...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    The watch may have been brand new to you in Nov but it is probably a 4-5yr old watch, I was trying to find the exact date they stopped making these but can't pin it down.

Still shouldn't leak, did this come grey market? Did they offer any warranty?
    I bought it from chrono24, a trusted seller. Not sure if it is the grey market. It was brand new when bought. I will have to check the guarantee when back home...

No screw in crown in this model, check yours...
    Very cool design, supposedly the crown is adjustable at depth - did you try that by any chance?

Sorry you are having this trouble, it looks a fascinating watch. Hope you get it resolved easily. Personally I would say that unless it has been opened, the seals should be good for swimming even if it has been sitting on the shelf for 5 years.

Of course it could have been assembled incorrectly in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Very cool design, supposedly the crown is adjustable at depth - did you try that by any chance?
    No, I didn't. In fact I didn't know!

Oh come off it. You're seriously suggesting that you should pressure test a 1000m watch before taking it into a swimming pool?!

Simon

I will probably wish I hadn't, but... I have to ask... Seriously?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Oh come off it. You're seriously suggesting that you should pressure test a 1000m watch before taking it into a swimming pool?!
    Don't be silly. It should be pressure tested and then put back in the safe.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Don't be silly. It should be pressure tested and then put back in the safe.
    How about you put all the watches back in the safe and then just pressure test the safe?

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    How about you put all the watches back in the safe and then just pressure test the safe?

This seems the most sensible idea, but i don't think Rolex make safes!

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

AFAIK this is a current model.

R

The crown is adjustable at depth - but the only way to do it is if the container is lifted up.

R

1000m waterproof?

AFAIK this is a current model.

R
    It was announced in 2005 but didn't reach the shops - at least in the USA until 2008 .
    I believe the Eterna version was quietly dropped when Eterna released the Porsche P6780 in 2010.

It was announced in 2005 but didn't reach the shops - at least in the USA until 2008 .
    I believe the Eterna version was quietly dropped when Eterna released the Porsche P6780 in 2010.
    Ah. I'd seen one that'd been bought new earlier this year so presumed on that basis.

Edit: a few available on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eterna-1594.../dp/B002LZUDF4

R
    Last edited by ralphy; 24th August 2017 at 00:03.

The crown is adjustable at depth - but the only way to do it is if the container is lifted up.

R
    Thanks - that's very clever.

Thanks - that's very clever.

;-)

R

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    Before my post we hadn't established how old the watch was, but, yes, for a watch that has seen a few years I think taking half an hour of your time to take a watch somewhere it can be pressure tested before submerging to check that the seals are all still working is a good idea when we are talking about watches worth £££.

The OP did say his watch was 'new'. ;-)

R

1000m waterproof?

Deleted

Master
    But seals could deteriorate if a watch is sitting in an ADs safe for a period of time. The PAM that I referred to earlier in this thread was certified in 2008 and I bought it in 2009 as new. This may have been a factor in its failing some 16 months later.

What sort of atmosphere is there in an AD's safe to eat through new watches' seals?
    More likely defective batch of seals, or badly fitted.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I managed to dry the watch and is still running under chronometer standards. BTW I found a way to dry it. First, open the crown and put it upside, second leave the watch in the sun: the water will evaporate through the crown when it gets hot...

Master
    I managed to dry the watch and is still running under chronometer standards. BTW I found a way to dry it. First, open the crown and put it upside, second leave the watch in the sun: the water will evaporate through the crown when it gets hot...

Didn't work for me, but mine was in salt water so that may have been a factor.

That's great news, hopefully no damage done. Will you still get the water resistance checked out?

Master

Hope the movement stays ok... makes you think though - I've just been on holiday with a Legend Diver which was in the sea everyday without a second thought.

Master

What about any disolved solids which may now have an effect on the longevity of the movement?

That would worry me. Even when unscrewed the crown should have gaskets which prevent this. Vapour pressure equalisation should take a long long time.

Mitch

Journeyman
    The OP did say his watch was 'new'. ;-)

R
    Apologies, must have misread his post, allow me to go into a corner and cry myself to sleep out of embarrassment

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    That would worry me. Even when unscrewed the crown should have gaskets which prevent this. Vapour pressure equalisation should take a long long time.

Mitch
    The crown doesn't screw in (see previous posts in thread). I assume by open he means pulled out as if setting the time, which presumably would compromise the sealing of the crown.

The crown doesn't screw in (see previous posts in thread). I assume by open he means pulled out as if setting the time, which presumably would compromise the sealing of the crown.
    Isn't the crown locked whilst the case is not flipped? Also isn't there supposed to be some fancy gasket system on the crown? To achieve a claimed 1000m WR they must be doing something.

Mitch

"the internal bezel is turned via the outer bezel, and can be operated safely all the way down to its maximum depth of 1000M thanks to a shaft-sealing system that was cribbed from the automotive industry (Porsche, to be specific, which kind of follows). '

From a Timezone.com review in 2010 (by Adam - to give him his credit)

I don't think evaporation of visible condensation will work - there will be a humidity level in the watch and will potentially cloud again with change of temperature. That humidity will damage internals - I think the watch needs to be stripped down, dried, oiled and resealed - and of course pressure tested.