closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: a new watch every 10 days

Journeyman

a new watch every 10 days

i enjoyed this, i hope you do too...

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/jona...-crappy-watch/

Thanks for the post. But $11! Shocking. He could have bought an in-house bona-fide all-time classic for less

Blog Entries
    Hehe, very funny.

His key mistake, of course, was to think that luxury watches are for telling the time. ;-)
    Last edited by markrlondon; 23rd August 2017 at 11:32.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting read. I suspect most of see the truth in what's being said also.

Craftsman
    I get his point but I really like my watches.

The article is fine but 2 weeks of wearing said cheap watch seems a bit premature to be writing it. I've been through phases of wearing just a CWC G10 for longer than that and felt, you know what I think I could happily just wear this from here on and I don't need to worry about it. Of course I later creep back to my old self of gettingv fidgety about buying far more expensive watches once more.

My guess, the writer will not still be wearing one of those 11 dollar watches in a couple of months time.

Master
    :) Everyone has moments of sanity now and then but they will surely pass and you'll find yourself looking for a way to buy that cool SARG009 and also keep the Steinhart you were trying to sell to fund the purchase.

Ha!
    Written by an idiot for idiots who believe losing 30 sec a day is normal for mechanical watch!

The guy is an idiot. I stopped reading after a couple of scrolls down.

He speaks the truth.

I don't think I could live with an $11 watch, but 90% of the time I wear a $90 Swatch, bought in the US 15 years ago, and it is smart, functional, keeps perfect time and a faithful friend.

Yes, I do have a couple of prestige watches that I wear on special occasions, but I'm under no illusion that anyone else either notices or cares.

If I see someone wearing a mega expensive watch I don't think any more highly of them than if they were wearing a Casio - in fact, sometimes quite the opposite.

Sounds like he doesn't really understand the difference between quartz and mechanical watches....

Imagine if he was talking about cars.

"OMG, my Dad gave me a Lamborghini, which I drove every day for ten years without servicing it and then it died. So I bought a Ferrari. When I went off-roading with it, it broke. So I bought a McLaren. That also broke, because I crashed it. None of these things are my fault. I now drive a Dacia Sandero which I've had for 3 weeks and it's NEVER gone wrong. Therefore, it's better than all the others."

I would rather not have a watch TBH at all than wear that. Or maybe like someone suggested, a 10$ Casio, there are still some for that price and analog as well not just digital. At the end of the day its all relative. I do "get" the guy though when it comes to accuracy, or rather the lack of it. I've noticed that any (mechanical) watch I had that would not keep satisfactory time, gets flipped rather quickly - that's what abruptly ended my fascination with vintage watches (could not stand having watches that look good but can't keep time - I don't mind a watch that might run a bit fast, but I draw the line at watches that lose time past few seconds per day.

That's what actually drew me first to Orient many moons ago when I would consider 200 quid as a fortune to spend on watches and Orient seemed to fit great in that budget, and maybe I was very lucky, but among the dozens of Orient watches I've had back then, later Orient Star and other fancy lines, I only had 1 dud, among the cheaper one, it was a Bambino actually.

In general, I am a guy who great believes that I am too poor to buy tat, so far I've been proven right or wrong many times when I tried to prove or disprove the same rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Geneve View Post
    He speaks the truth.

Which part exactly?
    Care to quote?

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Ha!
    Written by an idiot for idiots who believe losing 30 sec a day is normal for mechanical watch!
    He's either an idiot or it's a piece of mischief. It's interesting that somebody who ostensibly doesn't care that much about watches is timing them down to the amounts of seconds they are out per day. The suggestion that there isn't likely to be a qualitative difference between watches of significantly different values but that this could easily be the case with handbags does tend to point towards him being a cretin, however.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 23rd August 2017 at 22:59.

Yep, on balance I think he's a cretin...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I simply don't believe he was running 15 minutes late by the end of the month. Even if his watches were performing that poorly, he must have noticed the time slip at an earlier stage.
    Cretin or fibber, with a dash of heretic for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    He's either an idiot or it's a piece of mischief.
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Yep, on balance I think he's a cretin...
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Cretin or fibber, with a dash of heretic for good measure.
    Good grief people, it's tongue in cheek humour!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Is this a new meaning of "tongue in cheek" that I wasn't previously aware of, where it now means "not"?

It's just lazy provocative journalism in the silly season with typical exaggeration. 15 minutes just sounds good, doesn't mean it's actually what he's experienced. He wants all his readers who don't have expensive mechanical watches to feel justified in having not spent their money on one.

You either don't know what tongue is or cheek or humor or may be any of the three.
    This is lazy provocative journalism for peanut gallery.
    There is no TIC humor or irony or sarcasm.

Whatever...

Each his own, but I think another guy controlled by his wife. I wonder if she runs around with $5 shoes and a plastic bag. May be she wears clothes from WallMart and they live in a trailer park for a $200 rent because they're keeping their money together for education, travels and books! All honorable..

But like some other said, I'd prefer to spend my $11 on a nice G&T (which is often more expensive as I share my life between Luxembourg and Zürich) and not wear that piece of s$!t.

Ciao,
    S

A lot of touchy people on here.

He has done a not serious, mildly amusing, piece around expensive mechanical watches. You would think he he was taking the pee out of the disabled or something the way some have reacted. He is talking about watches folk, keep remembering that.

Some of his points, will be well recognised on here. The cost, cost of servicing, comparative accuracy. His points about freeing him up from some of lives worries are well pointed. How many threads on here are about.............. where is it safe to wear my watch, safes, insurance, worries about servicing, scratches, bangs and knocks damaging the movement etc etc.
    Luxury watches don't just cost you more, they add levels of unnecessary concerns into people's live's.

I like the piece as some of the points hit home and he was relating it about his own experiences and not taking the pee out of any other identifiable person.

Mitch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Is this a new meaning of "tongue in cheek" that I wasn't previously aware of, where it now means "not"?
    It's the sort of tongue in cheek that provokes people who don't realise that it's tongue in cheek.

You either don't know what tongue is or cheek or humor or may be any of the three.
    There is a certain irony levelling such an accusation against me when you're missing it yourself. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    A lot of touchy people on here.

He has done a not serious, mildly amusing, piece around expensive mechanical watches. You would think he he was taking the pee out of the disabled or something the way some have reacted. He is talking about watches folk, keep remembering that.

Some of his points, will be well recognised on here. The cost, cost of servicing, comparative accuracy. His points about freeing him up from some of lives worries are well pointed. How many threads on here are about.............. where is it safe to wear my watch, safes, insurance, worries about servicing, scratches, bangs and knocks damaging the movement etc etc.
    Luxury watches don't just cost you more, they add levels of unnecessary concerns into people's live's.

I like the piece as some of the points hit home and he was relating it about his own experiences and not taking the pee out of any other identifiable person.
    This.

I was going to say that there are some humourless people on here but that would not be quite correct. It would be more accurate to say that they have a fine sense of humour when the humour is directed at others but they suffer from utter sense of humour failure when the humour is directed against them and what they emotionally value!

You think you're being superior by recognising a level of satire that isn't actually present in the article. That's the irony here.

Blog Entries
    You think you're being superior by recognising a level of satire that isn't actually present in the article. That's the irony here.
    If you want to believe it's not there then that's fine for you.

Those who can recognise and take a joke are laughing (well, smirking or something similar).

It's not a matter of being "superior"... indeed, to introduce such a concept perhaps suggests why you don't see the joke. :-)

I think it is just a bit of an observational, witty piece actually.

Good job he didn't see the thread below this about a Sinn being away for service for seven months. That would give him more scope. Because that is just why we buy expensive phones, TVs, cars etc isn't it? So that we have no use of them for months at a time all in the name of 'luxury'!

Mitch

Hehe, very funny.

His key mistake, of course, was to think that luxury watches are for telling the time. ;-)
    It is an honest and light-hearted account of his experience, hardly contentious.
    The limitations of mechanical watches are well understood. That we still enjoy them is testament to the strength and longevity of their appeal.
    For example, as a device for maintaining tolerance of minor disappointments they are excellent, after all when last did a new watch exceed expectations?
    They are also a procrastinator’s dream, a gateway to endless hours of distraction prior to settling down to the task at hand.
    Perhaps their strongest attribute though, is as an emergency spill kit for soaking up surplus cash at short notice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    It is an honest and light-hearted account of his experience, hardly contentious.
    The limitations of mechanical watches are well understood. That we still enjoy them is testament to the strength and longevity of their appeal.
    For example, as a device for maintaining tolerance of minor disappointments they are excellent, after all when last did a new watch exceed expectations?
    They are also a procrastinator’s dream, a gateway to endless hours of distraction prior to settling down to the task at hand.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Perhaps their strongest attribute though, is as an emergency spill kit for soaking up surplus cash at short notice.
    Hehehe

Imagine if he was talking about cars.

"I now drive a Dacia Sandero which I've had for 3 weeks and it's NEVER gone wrong. Therefore, it's better than all the others."
    I will reuse this one!

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Interesting to see which kind of people find this funny or good in any sense:-)
    They share one or more traits n common.

Interesting to see which kind of people find this funny or good in any sense:-)
    They share one or more traits n common.
    And how exactly have you managed to work out what kind of people they are in fact? You can see that some people are perfectly fine with the article, how have you managed to work anything else out?

Mitch

And how exactly have you managed to work out what kind of people they are in fact? You can see that some people are perfectly fine with the article, how have you managed to work anything else out?

Mitch
    Their posting histories.
    Mark,yourself,petesake etc.
    Nothing wrong but just a particular bent of mind.

Their posting histories.
    Mark,yourself,petesake etc.
    Nothing wrong but just a particular bent of mind.

What would that be? Be specific about what is common in the posting histories that allows you to discourse so definitely.

Wouldn't like to think you just post random BS to further some sort of image you like to project.

Mitch

Journeyman
    The handbag analogy in the article does annoy me, it does suggest that there is no measurable difference in craftsmanship between an $11 watch and a speedy... whereas there is in handbags.

If it were written tongue in cheek, it wouldn't be quite so inaccurate and it wouldn't compare watches to handbags. Mostly because they compare very well. An expensive bag is easier to ruin so you will take more care of it, it is likely to be less practical and is likely to cost many multiples more. But it will also be far more beautiful and better made.

TBH his article is just a cheap dig at people who wear nice watches, written to entertain those who do not enjoy/appreciate them.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

What would that be? Be specific about what is common in the posting histories that allows you to discourse so definitely.

Wouldn't like to think you just post random BS to further some sort of image you like to project.

Mitch
    I think it is obvious.
    No need to spell it out.
    Let me just say- if Swiss watch industry folds tomorrow, you guys won't be shedding a tear. May be even celebrate.

If he was a sensible wis, he would wear his practical and still good lookng cwcG10 for work, and wear his treasured ones when not!

Wonder if his editor was telling to get some copy out fast, anything will do....