closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hasselblad 500c/m help and advice please

Hasselblad 500c/m help and advice please

I have recently aquired a Hasselblad 500 and various accessories.
    Now whilst I would love to take the time to learn how to use it, realistically its never going to happen.

Could somebody help advise me to test its working properly, I have been on line and watched a video, and it all seems to do what its supposed to.
    Also an idea of what the camera and its parts might be worth, prices on the internet are all over the place and I not even sure what some if the bits are.
    ( There is a tin with a linear mirror in thats not pictured )

Master
    Blog Entries
    No help, but I do know they are a serious bit of kit and pricey.

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Is it a Carl Zeiss lens ?
    I dropped one of these cameras out of a helicopter in Switzerland once !

Brendan

I used a 500cm almost daily so know my way round them, all you can do is run through the shutter speeds and check they work, plus the aperture stops down correctly.
    Sometimes the shutter needs cocking and there is a small screw on the back of the lens which can cock the shutter if it pings closed when you remove the lens. Be careful as it's a tight spring so use a well fitting screwdriver
    If you have any old rolls of film you can run one through it otherwise you can cock and wind as many times as you like.
    They really are quite simple to use, just wind (and cock shutter), dark slide removal, mirror up, stop down preview on the lens and firing the shutter.

There is a knack to loading film but there must be loads of info on the web.

As for value? No idea really as it's ages since I sold mine but you probably have over a grand there?

You have a body, roll film back, Polaroid back, a set of extension bellows, an 80mm CF standard lens, a quick release plate, right angled viewfinder, waist level finder and possibly some filters or different focussing screens in the boxes (hard to tell)

As for being "serious bits of kit" ? They are just a reliable mechanical box with a mirror and a decent lens.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 22nd August 2017 at 20:55.

Craftsman
    I have one too and love it. Are you in London? Aperture (www.apertureuk.com) in Museum St. (Hasselblad) or Rathbone Place (everything else) have been my go-to guys for a long time. They'll happily run through its use/workings with you and give you an idea of value. Ask for Patrick or Richard.

Over here these are plentiful at the used camera dealers and if in good condition are offered for between ~£450 (just the body) to ~£1000 (body plus lens). The prism finder by itself goes for ~£150. These are dealer prices inclusive of sales tax and warranty.

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.

I think I will probably sell it.
    Delving into 35mm photography appeals though, so I might get one of the Nikon f series bodys I have equipped with a lens and try that out for starters.

Any one have a suitable lens for a f, f2 or fm2?

Craftsman
    I use 35mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.5 and 180mm f/2.8, all ais, on my Nikon fm2n and fm3a, or digital.
    They pretty much cover most of what I shoot currently.

Some good info here on what to look for/test in the V series cameras:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2013/01/2...blad-v-series/

Craftsman
    Sold mine for about £700 a couple of years ago and that was just body and lens. Shame really but it was just sat on the shelf due to lack of time!

Websites like ffordes or mifsuds might help to get an idea on prices for the bits.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post

Delving into 35mm photography appeals though, so I might get one of the Nikon f series bodys I have equipped with a lens and try that out for starters.

I do! I have a bunch of manual AIS lenses. Let me know what you fancy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post

I do! I have a bunch of manual AIS lenses. Let me know what you fancy.

Run a roll of film through it, it's not expensive as you have the kit already, you might find you love the results. Medium format film has a very different feel to digital and retains a lot of the resolution that you lose in 35mm film compared to digital.