closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Silk Road Drugs, Death and the Dark web

Silk Road Drugs, Death and the Dark web

Worth a watch if you didn't see it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...d-the-dark-web

Documentary looking at the black market website known as the Silk Road, which emerged on the darknet in 2011. This 'Amazon of illegal drugs' was the brainchild of a mysterious, libertarian intellectual operating under the avatar The Dread Pirate Roberts. Promising its users complete anonymity and total freedom from government regulation or scrutiny, Silk Road became a million-dollar digital drugs cartel.

Homeland Security, the DEA, the FBI and even the Secret Service mounted multiple investigations in the largest online manhunt the world had ever seen. But it would be a young tax inspector from the IRS, who had grown up in the projects of Brooklyn, who would finally crack the case and unmask 'DPR'.
    With unparalleled access, Silk Road is a thrilling cat-and-mouse crime story for the digital age, bristling with intrigue, mayhem... and murder

Oh I always thought it was due to FBI paying millions to Carnegie Mellon Uni to crack Tor which led to its demise ;) live and learn
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Sounds similar to Deep Web.

It's an interesting story, that's for sure. It very difficult not to see the government as being the (equally) bad guy in the end.
    Last edited by robcat; 22nd August 2017 at 15:26.

Craftsman
    I watched it and found it very interesting .lots of things not mentioned such as corrupt federal agents stealing bitcoins,
    the way they claimed how they found the server is very dubious and the fact that the whole thing was ultimately pointless with similar online sites springing up .Dread pirate Roberts is appealing his sentence ,life without parole seems very harsh especially with the dodgy attempted murders being nonsense

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Silk Road Drugs, Death and the Dark web

Very interesting, but not that sophisticated a crime, hence the relatively simple detection. Shows how loose talk on an internet forum can lead to trouble .

I thought life without parole harsh. I think the perpetrator would be very much capable of rehabilitation and useful to society. I think rehabilitation should be an objective of justice together with punishment except for the most evil or dangerous. I suppose the instruction to do away with the drug expert was probably what did it for him. The drug expert wasn't killed, so I think rehabilitation should be on offer.

Major institutions have been involved in laundering drug money and seem to have got off relatively lightly in comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 22nd August 2017 at 17:06.